Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » New Pope (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: New Pope
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/index.html.

That was quick.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-041905pope_lat,0,3525431.story?coll=la-home-headlines

CNN link didn't work.

Edit:

Oh yea, I forgot. Sweet! We got a new Pope! [Smile]

[ April 19, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Tezcatlipoca ]

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefferson101
Member # 2396

- posted      Profile for jefferson101   Email jefferson101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratzinger.

Benedict XVI

Good luck to him. With the world the way it is today, he's going to need all the luck, Divine help, and whatever else he can get.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the *working* link, Tez. You beat me to it. Don't know why the CNN link didn't work; maybe because it's a "developing story."

I see they went with the German. Who wins the pool?

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn shame.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is said that he is even more hard liner then Paulus II.

i take it there will not be any changes concerning abortions, and prevention controlls etc.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Well, I guess we can expect continuity. They said they weren't going for a "transitional" pope. On the other hand, the guy is 78. I don't expect we'll see another 26-year papacy.
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He may not be a transitional Pope, but at his age he is a caretaker Pope. Look for a much younger one with in 5-10 years.

I am not sure what I think about this. A safe choice I guess, but part of me wishes that they had picked a younger, more vibrant person who could lead for the next couple of decades.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God's Rotweiller, they call him. Well, woof woof and all the best to him [Smile]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know - I thought he was really weak in swimsuit, though he did bring it in the talent portion.

Was anyone besides me dialing in for the Nigerian?

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, did you hear the Nigerian's answers in the interview? Come on, this one had solid scores in every portion -- it's never the obvious one, just the solid scorer all around!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great, the former hitler youth is now the pope. Granted he was not serving willingly, but many people will jump to conclusions given the history of the vatican and WWII. The catholic croatian ustashi , the looting of priceless art, the trillians worth of nazi gold, the support of hitler and mussolini, etc, etc.

Then again, if the media never says anything about it then the brainwashed masses might not know any better anyway.

Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OPL - The Nigerian is an even bigger hardliner than Ratzinger. I know it would be cool to have a black pope, but it would also be cool to have a black POTUS. Doesn't mean that has to be Clarence Thomas.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Ricky, I was just kidding. I didn't know anything about any of them, I was just enjoying the AMERICAN IDOL/beauty pageant references.
Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, as long as it is the correct black Pope or POTUS. [Wink]

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

So everyone knows the old name of the "Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith," right?

The guy is scary. Glad I'm not Catholic.

velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratzinger said yesterday

quote:
"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism...Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.

We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires

Given his history as enforcer of orthodoxy, I interpret this as saying that the creed of the church is correct,(I'm ok with that) and that any personal interpretation is only to satisfy ego and one's own desires.

Does that sound like a reasonable interpretation?

If it is, then I disagree with the statement. I believe that conscience and individual's feelings of what is right and wrong are valid reasons for personal interpretation. It seems like the statement is saying, "If you disagree with the classic interpretation, the only reason can be because you are selfish."

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup,
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith == Sacred Congregation of the Universal Inquisition

In 1908 they decided maybe that name wasn't politically correct [Wink]

Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Glad I'm not Catholic.
I am.
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

Sorry about the monty python, couldn't resist.
msquared
Member # 113

Me too.

msquared

Funean
Member # 2345

Do you mean you are Catholic, or you are glad you are Catholic?

Either way, you're Catholic, so what do you think? From what I've heard/read, Benedict is at least as conservative as JPII, plus, I don't know, *mad* about things. Do you believe he will lead the church in a positive direction? Do you anticipate change or that he'll more or less stay the course set by JPII? Do you agree with the positions he's stated so far?

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Der Deutsche Pope ist wunderschoen!

He'll get those Catholics to follow the rules.

I'm willing to bet he cracks down hard on the Pedopriesten.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

velcro, of course you disagree with it. Unless I got you very wrong, you don't strike me as a believing catholic. He, on the other hand, is. I suspect that even John the 23rd believed things you and I don't.
Funean
Member # 2345

Now *that* would be excellent. Nice nomenclature, by the way.

edited to add @Drake

[ April 19, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Funean ]

RickyB
Member # 1464

Drake - would you? You know there's a warrant for his arrest in the US? I forget in which state. He's the one who issued the directive that anything to do with the scandal be handled with the utmost secrecy.

OPL - that's cool. I just had to point it out, because there were literally millions of well meaning liberals hoping for this guy to be crowned, and what a disappointment it would have been for them...

msquared
Member # 113

quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
Do you mean you are Catholic, or you are glad you are Catholic?

Either way, you're Catholic, so what do you think? From what I've heard/read, Benedict is at least as conservative as JPII, plus, I don't know, *mad* about things. Do you believe he will lead the church in a positive direction? Do you anticipate change or that he'll more or less stay the course set by JPII? Do you agree with the positions he's stated so far?

Yes to both.

I already answered a bit above, but I think he knows that, at his age, he is a caretaker Pope. I expect him to keep on the course JPII set and not to make any major changes to anything.

msquared

auron
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for auron   Email auron       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not catholic, but I was hoping they'd elect someone who was less of a hard-liner, particularly on contraception. I admire the man for sticking to his faith, but there's an AIDS epidemic going around, and telling people not to use condoms isn't helping.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

OK, so basically they've just elected Bernardo Gui as Pope. [Big Grin]
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by auron:
I'm not catholic, but I was hoping they'd elect someone who was less of a hard-liner, particularly on contraception. I admire the man for sticking to his faith, but there's an AIDS epidemic going around, and telling people not to use condoms isn't helping.

Paladine and I had a two hour conversation today about just this. I agree with you, I was rooting for a more liberal pope getting elected.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cripes, he was in the Hitler Youth Corps, then had to leave Tu..bingen for Regensburg (ultra-ultra conservative -- down to the dueling scars). This could be scary indeed. The best thing that can be said of him is that he was deserter from the Germany army.

OPL -- you're too funny; this pope is not going to like funny [Big Grin] . This is the bishop who wouldn't let Catholics take communion with Lutherans. You don't suppose he's going to have the popemobile painted black, do you?

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Richard, he was in the hitler jugend when any and every german youth was required to be.
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

Yes he was forced to serve in the hitler youth but as I said above, I'd still say its a dumb move making him the pope given the awful things the church did during WWII.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, Catholic and Protestant communions aren't supposed to mix, so I can understand that. That whole transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation thing, y'know. One of the reasons for Protestantism being invented. Minor detail, eh?

Richard - the popemobile painted black just makes me think of having a Goth Pope. And the thought made me laugh on the inside.

Auron - I agree about contraceptives. I just wonder how hard he is about it. I'm not sure: to hardcore Catholics, is it okay to use BC like the Pill for other reasons (migraines, for instance) so long as you're being abstinent? Can anyone answer that for me?

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

If the medicine is prescribed for another condition and has the effect of birth control then that is probably ok.

I disagree with the church on some matters when it come to BC. I think married couples, especially those who have had kids, should be able to use certain methods of BC: IE those that prevent conception.

My wife and I have used the rythym method for over 10 years now and no kids.

msquared

Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

quote:
Some have questioned whether the new pope betrayed any pro-Nazi sentiment during his teenage years in Germany during World War II.

In his memoirs, he wrote of being enrolled in Hitler's Nazi youth movement against his will when he was 14 in 1941, when membership was compulsory. He says he was soon let out because of his studies for the priesthood.

Two years later, he was drafted into a Nazi anti-aircraft unit as a helper, a common fate for teenage boys too young to be soldiers. Enrolled as a soldier at 18, in the last months of the war, he barely finished basic training.

I think this whole Hitler Youth things is getting way over-blown, but that is life as usual I suppose.

Source : Wired News

[ April 19, 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Tezcatlipoca ]

Mr Xin Ku
Member # 1472

- posted      Profile for Mr Xin Ku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well crap, I guess I lost my bet. How the heck does a war deserter beat out a war hero?! And this new pope is conservative? Who would've thunk it? This dagnab right-wing conspiracy really is vast! [Wink]
Posts: 233 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Totally overblown. I'm the head of the foreign desk where I work and I refused to run a story about it yesterday, and dictated a tone-down about it today. It's a non-issue. Any German his age was in the hj.

However, the fact that he was head of what used to be called the inquisition is significant to me.

velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky,

I am not a believing Catholic. But I think it is short-sighted to knock down any variation in interpretation, and disingenuous to label personal interpretation, based on prayer and conscience, as selfish and motivated by personal desires.

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page