Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Where have you been?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where have you been?
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right... I thought I'd do my part in starting a "fluff" thread.

Everybody asks "what kind of car do you drive?" "What kind of pet do you own?" or "What do you look like?"

So, I thought I'd start something a little different.

Where have you been?

Myself, I've been to England (and will be returning shortly). Lived for a time in New Jersey, Colorado and California.

I've seen the Finger Lakes and upstate New York -- never made it to Niagara, stupid snow storm! -- the Catskills, Atlantic City and rural New Jersey. Been to Boston. I've explored lots of places, most of Colorado by car, on horseback, or cross country skiing. I've camped the Grand Canyon (North and South Rims). Explored the Canyonlands, including Bryce and Zion. Explored the West Coast all the way up to Olympia. And, of course, Yellowstone.

So, where have YOU been? [Smile]

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grew up in boston. Been to almost every part of new england. New york city, catskills, westchester county. Philly, harrisburg and environs (gettysburg, chambersburg, shippensburg), pittsburgh. DC, northern virginia, trenton, newark, wilmington. Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale. New Orleans. Ohio (cleveland, datyon, cincinatti). Ann Arbor, Detroit, drove through most of southern michigan to get to ann arbor. Chicago, Champagne-Urbana. Madison, Milwaukee, Eau Claire. Northern Indiana. Twin Cities in MN. San Francisco and surrounding areas. Portland Oregon and environs. Most of washington state. Victoria Island.

St. Maarten, Cozumel, London, Israel (most of), Rome, Sorento, Florence, Orvieto.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foreign destinations:

Venezuela, Canada, Germany, Spain, London, Paris, Amsterdam.

Domestic:

All over New England, where I grew up. San Francisco Bay Area, where I live now.

Washington, DC. Seattle. San Diego. Houston. Dallas. NYC. Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. Phoenix. Philadelphia. New Orleans. Tampa. Denver.

I've driven nearly the entire length of I-95 in the east, Half of I-5 in the west. I've driven solo the breadth of the country, from Boston to San Francisco in a week long trip. I saw Niagra Falls, Amish Country, the Locks of the Missippi river, the Railyards and Stockyards of Nebraska, the Rocky Mountains, The deep Nevada desert on US-50 (dubbed the Loneliest road). Reno and Tahoe.

I'll spare you the slideshow [Wink]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florida native, I also have lived in Georgia, North Carolina, Kansas, and Virginia. Skied the Rockies and Tetons.

Spent 18 months in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines during the Marco's years.

Lived for a couple of months (Feb-Mar) in a tent 200 miles north of the Arctic circle on the Norway-Russian border during the Cold War.

I also had a marvelous week in Switzerland a couple of years ago.

Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grew up and currently live in West Virginia...lived in suburban Philadelphia for two years and will be headed to Toledo (Ohio, not Spain) in a couple of months. I've been up and down the East Coast, but never west of the Mississippi (yet). Eventually I'm planning to drive to the West Coast, but I haven't had the financial surplus necessary quite yet.
Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aupton15 - let me know if you make it to Portland - I'll buy ya lunch or something [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foreign destinations:

France (Paris and the French Alps), Belgium (all over the country, but lived in Waterloo), Luxemburgh, Germany (A city on the border with Belgium who's name I cannot remember), and Canada (Vancouver).

United States:

I have lived in North Carolina (Cherry Point MCAS*), Massachusettes (Framingham), Rhode Island (Providence and Barrington), West Virgina (South Charleston), Indiana (Kokomo), Illinois (Champaign), and California (El Toro MCAS* and Miramar MCAS*).

* MCAS means Marine Corps Air Station. I was born at the one in North Carolina and I was stationed at the ones in California.

I have visited nearly every state. It would probably be easier to list the states that I haven't been to. Hawaii, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, North Dakota, and South Dakota. (No I didn't forget Alaska. I went to Anchorage a few times while I was in the Marines.)

A breakdown by actual localities that I have visited would take longer than I can sit around and list out right now.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Is anyone currently living in or around the boston area?

[ May 02, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Everard ]

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have visited every state in the continental US to the south and west of New York except for Montana and North Dakota. I have also failed to visit Alaska or Hawaii. Born in Frankfurt Germany. Lived in Michigan, Utah, Florida, Texas, Utah again, Florida again, British Columbia, Florida again (hopefully here to stay).

I've have gone on band trips to NYC (1994 men's bball tournament), New Orleans, LA (5 times), Atlanta, GA (like, infinity times) Madison, WI (1998 Women's volleyball Final Four), Spokane, WA (1997 Women's volleyball Final Four), Indianopolis, IN (2000 men's bball Final Four), Seattle, WA (men's bball tournament), San Diego, CA (men's bball), Miami, FL (Orange Bowl), Orlando, FL (Citrus Bowl) and those were just the good trips.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have lived in North Carolina (Cherry Point MCAS*), Massachusettes (Framingham), Rhode Island (Providence and Barrington), West Virgina (South Charleston), Indiana (Kokomo), Illinois (Champaign), and California (El Toro MCAS* and Miramar MCAS*).
Cool. I was in and out of Cherry Point from '77 to '84 and briefly at El Toro in '76.
Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've driven through, or stopped at the airport in just about every state in these United States [Smile] . I was born in or near London, England, lived in Great Falls, Montana, and (by the time I was three) was living in Spokane, WA, where I grew up. I went to college in Los Angeles, CA, and am currently living in or near Portland, Oregon. I've spent quite a bit of time in the various locations along the west coast, been to various places in Canada and Mexico, and desperately need to spend a few months exploring England, Ireland and Scotland.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard,

I don't currently live in the Boston area, but the next time I visit relatives in New England I will let you know. I have an Aunt in Cambridge and a few cousins in the Boston area as well as relatives in the Cape Cod Canal area. I don't know if I will be getting out there this year or not, but if I do I will let you know.

ssci,

Well I was at Cherry Point before you (born in 1970 when my dad was stationed there), but you beat me to El Toro by quite a bit. I reported to my unit there at the end of 1992 and was with that unit until 1998. They started realigning and closing the bases in Southern Califonia around that time and we relocated to NAS (later MCAS) Miramar in 1994.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I'm currently working in Dunbar, WV...just down the road from South Charleston. As you probably know, there isn't really much else to say about that.

javelin, a free meal increases the likelihood of my trip a great deal [Smile] Forget the fact that it doesn't offset the cost of gas at all...free food is free food!

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to London, Holland, most of Israel, NYC and a bit of upstate NY, been to Boston once, Philadelphia once as a kid, Atlantic City once, and I rode from NY to Detroit and back on my Honda CB650.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

aupton15 - I'd offer a couch, too, but I'm afraid the roommate might not be as comfortable with me offering a couch to someone I don't really know, outside this forum [Smile]
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in Montreal (Canada)

1 Brother in Paris, 1 in London, so…
I’ve been to England a few times - London and north to Scotland
Switzerland – Geneva twice, once on the way to the Matterhorn, once on my way (by bike) into…
France – a few times. Everywhere. Once cycled from top to bottom, left to right and through the Alps.
Italy – From Rome to Florence

Continental US – pretty much every state except flyover country. If it’s got a coastline, I’ve been there. By car and bike, all through New England on day trips and week-ends and sports exchanges.

Down the east coast all the way to Florida. Dallas Fort Worth (airport) more times than I care to remember. Chicago O’Hare ditto. Minnesota. Nevada. California. Washington.

Interestingly, I’ve seen way more of the US than Canada (only Quebec, Ontario and Alberta)

Barbados.

I think that’s it.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm impressed. It seems that a lot of people on Ornery are very well traveled.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've lived in iowa, maryland, south carolina, florida, and texas. and california if you count the two months in a tent in the sierras.

i've been to GA, NC, TN, VA, PA, MA, ME, NY, WI, IL, WA and driven through a host of others on my way to said places.

foreign: england, france (twice), belgium, the netherlands, germany, italy, denmark, sweden, mexico (twice) and a bunch of caribbean islands.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

I've been everywhere man.
Mike_W
Member # 202

- posted      Profile for Mike_W   Email Mike_W   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lived;
-Canada; Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton
-Heidelberg Germany

Traveled;
-Every province and territory in Canada save the Yukon
-USA; New York, Boston, New England Coast, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Maryland, North Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, California, Washington, Oregon
-Europe; Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland, AUstria, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Portugal
-Bahamas, Dominica, Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico
-New Zealand

And some days I feel like I've walked all those miles.

Posts: 1352 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Live in Israel

visited: USA, Canada, England, France, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Poland, Turkey.

The only improtant places i havent been in the states are the yellow stone and yusemetee, allthough i try to go once a couple of years to cedar point and magic mountain.

I fly to england next month to a Mark Knopfler concert in the Royal Albert Hall, and to the soccer game between Israel and Irland

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I've seen softball fields in almost every state of the Union and Toronto. I've also seen Mexico.

KE

Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've visited Scotland, England, Wales, Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Belguim, Czech Republic, Canada (Ontario, Newfoundland, British Columbia), Mexico (the D.F., Tamaulipas, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Campeche, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Baja California).

Ed to add: Switzerland. And Iceland, if wandering around the outside of the airport without actually entering counts (they don't like it when you do that).

Within the US, I've been to Washington state, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and the D.C.

I've lived only in the US, in Oregon, Florida and Texas. I am currently splitting work time between Texas and Maryland, and have stuff stored in an apartment up there, so maybe that halfway counts.

[ May 02, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Zyne ]

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aupton, where in WV did you grow up? I'm from Morgantown (and currently live in suburban Philadelphia). My father's people are from Mannington, but he grew up outside Weirton.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike_W : congratulations on living in Heidelberg - I also lived there for a few years, and loved the place.

Countries visited:

UK (well, I'm British), France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Spain (including Canaries and Balearics), Italy (Sicily, really), Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Thailand, Sri Lanka, The Maldives, Chile, Mexico, Canada, USA.

Applied for a job at the south pole once, but didn't get it.

Places I've been in the US: Minneapolis (for a week, got to see a Vikings game), Tucson AZ (stayed one night at the Mount Hopkins observatory, and drove to Mexico and back), lots of airports en ruote to other places (Washington Dulles, Pittsburgh, Cleveland (I think), Newark, and some city in Arizona where the plane from Washington to Tucson landed, but I can't remeber what it was. Pheonix maybe?).

Loved Minneapolis. Thought Tucson was truly wierd. And airports don't really count as visiting a place (or I could add Argentina to my list of places visited as well).

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul C
Member # 1804

- posted      Profile for Paul C   Email Paul C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been about a month of Sundays since I last posted so I decided to pick a safe subject!

I've been to Mexico, Canada, Okinawa, Japan, Guam, Thailand, Korea, Phillipines, Virgin Islands (St Croix), Cuba, Purto Rico (sp?), and almost every state in the Union.

Well...back to lurking.

Paul C

Posts: 188 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Countries:

U.S., Canada, Germany, France, Switzerland, Spain, Japan, Thailand, India, China (Tibet).

States:

All of New England, all of both coasts, Alaska, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio.

Haven't traveled much in the last few years, I hope my wanderlust hasn't dried up at the tender age of 26. Ev, I'm sort of near Boston, I go there quite a bit.
Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

Funean, I grew up and currently live in Huntington, though I'm roughly familiar with Morgantown. I have family in western Maryland, maybe an hour east of Morgantown. I wonder what it is about suburban Philly that draws us from our home state? I went to school at Villanova...what drew you to that area?
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in Montana (and spent the weekend there last weekend!). I live in Richmond VA these days, but I will spare everyone the list of where I've lived in between - the best was on a wooden boat in the Hudson River for a while.

I've been lots of places, probably the most unusual or notable of which is Armenia.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL aupton, I went to Bryn Mawr. And I lived for 9 years right around the corner from Kelly's Bar (on Floyd Terrace, off Roberts).

I suspect that lots of folks end up here because of college--there are something like 122 tertiary institutions in the greater Philadelphia area.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

Oh, so we went to school within walking distance of each other. It's a nice area if it wasn't for the cost of living. I enjoyed my two years there, but I don't think I'd go back to stay. I went up for a visit a few weeks ago, and found that I like it pretty well in smaller doses.
Everard
unregistered

Adam-
Next time you're going to be in boston, let met know. If I'm going to be around, maybe we can have lunch or something.

Star Pilot 111
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Star Pilot 111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Born in Altedena California. For the 1st year of my life I lived in a trailer on my aunt's property in Duarte California. Lived in Venice California, grew up on the beach in Santa Monica California,(the birth place of the original Muscle Beach). Was in Boston and New York city for a while. Been to Salt Lake, Provo, Logan Utah, Rexberg Idaho, Reno, Tahoe, San Diego.
Lived in Antioch California, and have been living in Brentwood Ca for about a year an a half, about 45 miles east of San Francisco. I've been registered on this forum since early last year. Since the election I haven't been to involved. I do read the posts now and then, but haven't really gotten involved like I used to.
If there's a movement to impeach Bush [Eek!] I may get involved.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everard, plan on visiting the holy land anytime soon?

anybody plans on visiting the holy land anytime soon?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

Israel is on my list of places to visit. Unfortunately, I don't expect to do any foreign travel in the next 3 years so I probably won't be visiting there any time soon.
ender wiggin
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for ender wiggin   Email ender wiggin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I been to most of Canada, Vancover, Calgary, Nova Scotia, New Brusnwick, P.E.I. and Quebec, which almost counts as a foriegn country.

The only times I visited the States were to Chicago and to Pensilvania to visit obscure relatives. O, and to Fort Knox and Fort Drum for training but they didn't let us off the base so I don't think that really counts. I'm going to New Jersey this summer though for a (civvie) tracking course, not sure how I'm going to get there.

One day when I have money I will get a frikken passport and go somewhere cool.

Posts: 971 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

i should find a way to upload a some pictures from my jeep tours in israel, there are some amazing views, i was surprised of my country, and it is all within the 1967 borders, for all i care we can give the territories back.

there is also a special observatory in the city of Givataim towards the commercial zone of Tel-Aviv and Ramat-Gan, it is great, you can think that what you are seeing is a city in the USA with all the sky scrappers (one of them is the tallest in the Middle East by the way)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page