Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
QuidNunc
Member # 2405

- posted      Profile for QuidNunc   Email QuidNunc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After being conscripted into aiding my boyfriend (serotonin'sgone) in a debate with the incorrigible Richard a few weeks back, I realized that it was probably time to get my own account and stop making his posts look (quite so) schizophrenic.

I'm 23 years old and a second year law student at the University of TX in Austin. I'm a native Texan, a fairly rabid libertarian, and Protestant. I spent my undergrad at Yale where I spent most of my time rowing crew, waxing philosophical in my political debate society, and drinking. Despite such demands on my time, I managed to get a BA in Classics. Now, two years into law school, I am considering returning to that (though not to the North East) upon graduation next May. The law hasn't really captured my imagination, to say the least.

Not so smancy, but there you have it.

[ May 02, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: QuidNunc ]

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to have you, QuidNunc.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, QuidNunc! Glad to see there are still some folks out there getting degrees in Classics (my degree was in philosophy, but Classics was one of the "big" majors at the college).
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fairly rabid libertarian, eh?

This should be interesting.

(I'm a neolibertarian.)

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R_Kinder
Member # 2446

- posted      Profile for R_Kinder         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Ornery folks!
I'm alive, well & living in Dallas, TX. I work as an electrical engineer at a semiconductor co.

I tend toward conservative/libertarian politically. My wife has made me lean more conservative these past few years.

My hobbies are juggling, researching historical dance and fighting manuals, and practicing the techniques therein.

I'm an aficianado of very spicy Tex-mex cooking, tequila, single-malt Scotch, & beers from Germany & England. (hic!)

I've been an OSC fan for probably 15 years. Unlike many, I have not been disappointed (or surprised) to find that he is a politically & socially conservative person. I can see where many find his opinion pieces strident, but I feel they are too eager to play the role of persecuted victim, when the argument is not aimed at them. It's all a problem of labels, really.

Anyway, good to finally come on board after lurking for years. I won't be able to post very regularly, because my work and hobbies occupy me nearly all waking hours.

Best Regards to all,
Russell

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Lifewish   Email Lifewish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I was on Ornery a couple of years back but let my posting habits lapse. I was flipping through my bookmarks when I came across OSC's blog again. Hopefully I'll stay around longer this time

I'm a 20 year old british maths student. I don't have much in the way of political leanings. I'm quite strongly atheist, but am always willing to have errors of logic pointed out to me. I love a good debate.

Good to see you all again.

Posts: 272 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah good, another libertarian.

As for you, Lifewish... [Smile]
quote:
I'm quite strongly atheist, but am always willing to have errors of logic pointed out to me.
... like believing that a perceived absence of evidence is evidence of absence? [Wink]

I give agnostics a pass. Not atheists. Welcome back.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Lifewish   Email Lifewish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll accept that God exists when you accept that there are invisible mutant aardvarks flying around high above our major cities. After all, an absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence [Wink]

Maybe best to leave this train of thought to the inevitable next "does God exist?" debate...

Posts: 272 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, both Lifewish and R_Kinder - it's good to have some fresh blood here! I hope some of our other newer members will hope in and give us some background - don't know why it helps, but it does!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm a History major at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario. I've been lurking here in part to to counter an incredibly annoying habit of assuming that conservatives who disagree with me are ignorant, stupid or evil, or a combination of all three. Fortunately, this forum provides ample evidence to the contrary.
I don't post because despite being willing to plunge headlong into debate in person, the amount of deliberation afford by the nature of forums overwhelms my loquaciousness. I'm introducing myself in hopes of using the momentum to engage Pete at Home in a discussion, but I suspect I will spend far too much time contemplating my responses, and his possible responses and my responses to his responses, ad nauseum...

And when I'm talking I don't have to worry about spelling.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 1063

Spelling is overrated. Welcome to the forum.

From two days' experience, the best way to debate with Pete at Home seems to be to figure out what he believes in (non-trivial - see below) then try to spot factual errors and logical inconsistencies. Don't waste too much time thinking several moves ahead, cos by the time you get that far the focus of the debate may have changed. Also note that Pete, like any good lawyer, will resist being pinned down to one set of beliefs, cos it makes responding harder if he suddenly realises that one of them is wrong/indefensible.

Pete: we're mostly friendly enough not to use irrelevant mistakes against you, so no need to be evasive unless you're worried that your core beliefs are wrong/indefensible.

NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you misunderstand. I'm not interested in proving Pete wrong, merely discussing certain issues with him in order to figure out what the other side believes.

It's also quite easy to figure out what he believes. It's understanding why and how he believes it that I find difficult.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 1063

quote:
I think you misunderstand. I'm not interested in proving Pete wrong, merely discussing certain issues with him in order to figure out what the other side believes.
Same here, although I'm also interested in trying to figure out whether my opinion is justifiable.

quote:
It's also quite easy to figure out what he believes. It's understanding why and how he believes it that I find difficult.
I'd agree that it's quite easy to figure out what he believes. I have been having some trouble getting him to commit to any one set of beliefs though.
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to meet you, kannan. Feel free to chime in. It would be nice to hear your perspective on some issues, I'm sure.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 2492

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just registered today. I've lurked a bit and thought I might post. I decided when I do I don't want my first response to a serious thread to be my FIRST post on the forum.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who do not know, Karl is a long time member at Hatrack and also a player in my PBEM D&D game.

Welcome Karl.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motyzarc
Member # 2496

- posted      Profile for motyzarc   Email motyzarc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post as well, so, Hi. I am currently in high school, started out as a book-only fan of OSC but have migrated over to his columns. I just had this anecdote supporting the heartland/smartland distinction. I come from a very liberal section of New Jersey, and during a week before the 2004 elections, my school hosted its own mock election. John Kerry won, with something like 66% of votes, which left President Bush with less than 34% (due to write-ins.) The results illustrate the usefulness of the heartland/smartland description, which I like mainly because it is cute. Anyway just thought this was a good place to introduce myself.

[ June 09, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: motyzarc ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I just registered today. I've lurked a bit and thought I might post. I decided when I do I don't want my first response to a serious thread to be my FIRST post on the forum."
Hey, this is news to me! Glad you're posting here now. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tinytom
Member # 2502

- posted      Profile for tinytom   Email tinytom       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a 20 year old college senior? With 3 more senior years to go before I finish my degrees in Biology and Bio-Chemistry from Florida State Universtiy. Politically, I bounce around between extreme fiscal conservative, to socially very liberal, I would be a libertarian I guess, if I felt that we as people would be responsible enough to build parks and keep up roads on our own with making it fabulously expensive and/or dirty to use. I used to be a big fan of the "Enders Game" series, and it was Card's name that brought this webpage and its essays and forum to my attention.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

Go Noles! I graduated from FSU in '87. You from Florida originally?
KnightEnder
unregistered

My first post was about religion. I think it is still one of the most replied to posts in OA history. My contribution has trailed off considerably since then. [Frown]

Welcome new members! [Smile]

KE

ender wiggin
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for ender wiggin   Email ender wiggin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stop braggin KE
Posts: 971 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hey, I take pride in my ability to piss off large numbers of people.

KE

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to update...

Everything is still largely correct except I am in a new house with a new yard, got married, and had a baby boy. otherwise not much else as changed. And to those who sent emails over the last week or two and haven't heard back, sorry my system totally crashed and its going to take me a little more time to recover files and messages. If I haven't replied, and you expected me to by say next wednesday,you might want to send it again.

Oh and welcome to all the members who chimed in over the last few pages.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, not much going on, huh? All that's left is taking over the world (same thing we do Every Day, Pinky!).

Anyhow, congratulations. Your life will never be the same, if you hadn't noticed. [Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceboy911
Member # 2511

- posted      Profile for aceboy911   Email aceboy911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am a Biology major, chemistry minor at the grand ole school: Southwestern Oklahoma State University. I have lived all over the world, been to every continent except for australia and the Antartic...No accessible oil there i suppose. My family were oil people. Currently a Senior, I plan on going to graduate school once I get out of this place and get a doctorate in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology. I am 22 years old and married to a wonderful woman, who also happens to be a lurker here. We came to this website after you guys were farked. see www.fark.com for details. We both enjoy the discussions that go on here and like to watch and listen, so posts from us will probably not be very often for a while. I tend to ramble a lot, and do not know when to end a post, so they are usually lengthy, I apologize now. I suppose I am fairly strong moderate, agreeing and disagreeing with points from both sides of the fence. Extremists on either side make me laugh. I believe myself to be a christian, but believe that most denominations are crap these days, just little people sqaubbling for power. The church as a whole I think has lost its way somewhere a long time ago, and has become yet another corporation eager to take your money in exchange for enternal salvation and peace of mind. I also believe in evolution, because it is present all around us, but I also believe that God created this world around us, if for no other reason than the fact that you cannot get something from nothing. I hope to enjoy many a pleasant conversation.
I enjoy Sci-fi and fantasy, but also love history, classical and some modern literature, and anything else that catches my eye. I read R.A. Salvatore back when I was little, maybe 7-8 and loved it, but picked it back up again recently and couldn't stand it because it was so simple and plain writing. I like any book that doesn't make me laugh in the first few pages when it isn't supposed to. That about covers it.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simplybiological
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for simplybiological   Email simplybiological   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey ace... as you may or may not have gleaned, i'm a grad student in ecology/evolution/behavior, and i have plenty of bitter things to say about how graduate school ripped all the optimisim and motivation in my field right out of my body. I strongly suggest taking some time off between undergrad and grad... and maybe reading (if you haven't already) the phD students and failure thread.
/unsolicited advice.

that said, i'm really glad to see other biology folks posting here...

cp, you know I went to UF, right?

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fel
Member # 2503

- posted      Profile for Fel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess I should introduce myself, I'm 28 years old, BS in Chemical Engineering, working as an environmental consultant (no, on the evil side, I help businesses pollute). I live in Southern California in one of the red suburbs east of Los Angeles (made fun of on the Simpsons). My political views are libertarianish, I'm not fanatical about pretty much anything and will openly admit that there are some things government will do better than the private sector.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antares
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for antares   Email antares   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

I also am a biology major/chemistry minor. I am starting my senior year of undergraduate school, and I happen to be the wife of aceboy911.

I do not plan to post much, not because I don't love Ornery, but because I enjoy reading the opinions of everyone else here way more than I enjoy reading my own opinions. Also, I just don't feel qualified to debate with most of you. I'd get ripped to shreds in an instant. This is the reason I love Ornery so much.

Anyway, this introduction is mostly to say how much I (and I'm sure the other lurkers, too) appreciate the intelligent debate here. It's really, really addictive. Thank you all very much for the opportunity to lurk here.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aceboy911
Member # 2511

- posted      Profile for aceboy911   Email aceboy911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let her fool you, she is an excellent arguer. I should know:) Beware!!!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

quote:
Originally posted by simplybiological:
cp, you know I went to UF, right?

Did I know that? I think I'd remember it. Ah well, you def weren't there when I was at FSU. Of course, I hate the Hurricanes worse!

(It amazes me how many Noles and Gators are up here in No VA. You got a lot of Gators there with you in Austin?)

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by antares:
Also, I just don't feel qualified to debate with most of you. I'd get ripped to shreds in an instant. This is the reason I love Ornery so much.

That doesn't stop the rest of us. [Smile]

I'm always proud of the discussions we have here when we get this kind of feedback. We only gain from fresh opinions - and that goes for the rest of you lurking lot out there!

Cheers, and thanks for saying hi.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Starkiller
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Lady Starkiller   Email Lady Starkiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I probably should have posted here the first day I signed up -- but I got involved in the discussions and promptly forgot.

I'm a college student currently studying history after getting booted from a philosophy program. History is my one true love, although mythology's right up there, and they fight over me all the time. [Smile]

Specifically, I love the history of symbols, languages, and religions. My favorite time period to study is anything from the earliest historical glimmerings through the Renaissance, although all history fascinates me.

I'm also an author who is attempting to write and publish a book of myths from a fictional culture. (Geeky, much?)

Politically, I'm a scatter plot, falling where I may.

Religion-wise, I'm about the same.

I can be cantankerous and sarcastic (not that anyone's noticed [Smile] ).

I was a lurker a long while back, but was put off by all of the "OMG I can't believe OSC wrote those books if he thinks like this!" crap - but I came back to lurk recently, and I'm glad I did.

Sorry for the late intro...

Posts: 434 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Member # 2546

- posted      Profile for Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a middle aged man from the mid-west. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't have a Nebraska "twang". I speak english as it is meant to be spoken. [Big Grin]

I'm an old hand to various conversation forums but have gotten worn down by constant trolling and people thinking they can "win" discussions by typing rudeness in ALL CAPS. I've lurked for a while here and have liked what I've seen.

I like fast cars and fast women. Well, not really. How about a Mazda and a hot wife?

I do swing both ways: libertarian and republican according to how the mood strikes me.

I'm religious in my own way but definitely not a "social conservative".

I like history and would like digging through musty old tomes if the internet weren't so much more convenient. The nice thing about history is that everything that isn't NOW qualifies.

I'm a sucker for Sci Fi TV series whether they're any good or not. And I like meatloaf, d*** it.

I try to immerse myself in the news of the day. We live in a fascinating world and learning about it and discussing it is almost as good as having a real life. [Wink]

Posts: 205 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS Elliot
Member # 736

- posted      Profile for TS Elliot   Email TS Elliot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite my low member nr. it's my first time here. Most of you have already known a bit about me ... what am i talking about? Most of you are sound a sleep, allright eeeh ... Some of you already know somethings about me, prolly not all good.

Eeeh I'm from Europe, I'm a social-democrat, but of the treehugging variety. Not a native english speaker, so that accounts for the accent [Wink]
I am a student, trying to write my thesis, I live in this big appartment complex with other students but it's not a us-styled campus. It's very fun to live here, lotsa people in the 20 - 30 age bracket although more 20ish than 30ish. And one of the other big advantages of living here is "free" highspeed internet. Don't ask me how they did it, not a techo. At times access is spotty, when they do a 'change'. Dunno what that entails. Other advantages are good sports facilities closeness to the centre of town, etc. etc.
As I am pretty much inyourface, I don't understand
the lurker mentality. But I don't have to and they don't have to explain it. Religion: I'm a non-practising agnostic.
Travel motto: Don't do anything I would ... [Wink]

Oh yeah, and I'm of the standing up while peeing kind. [Wink] Hope this helps.

[ July 27, 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: TS Elliot ]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Member # 2546

- posted      Profile for Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that messy?
Posts: 205 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TS Elliot & Archer - thanks for introducing yourselves! And WELCOME!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Religion: I'm a non-practising agnostic.
How do you practice Agnosticism? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to give anything other than my name, rank and number. Sorry, wrong occasion. I am probably the youngest member of this site, although I will not give my age, and have been posting here for some time, but havn't gotten around to actualy introducing myself. I am a practing Anglican, although I am at odds with the more conservative factions. My personal philosophy is based highly on Wittgenstein's works on language and on the metods of Hegalianism, although not the coresponding teachings. I am a student by profesion, although I am on break now. I am not a member of any political party but I align myself most often with the European moderate left. My view of a perfect society is based on Plato's Repuplic, but adapted to a democratic mold, i.e. a society ruled by philosphers becouse every member was a philosopher, and every member had a vote.
Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Thank you Pelegius - this isn't fair, but it makes it much easier to understand someone's arguments and point of view with a little background mixed in.

Welcome!

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page