Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 15)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never introduced myself either, in all this time.

I closely agree with Objectivist philosophies, which puts me squarely outside both mainstream political parties. I design circuits on silicon for a living, with a side business in film and television. I desperately wish that politics would be based more on reason and less on emotion. In an argument, I will always support the individual over the collective.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Member # 2546

- posted      Profile for Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
I am a practing Anglican, although I am at odds with the more conservative factions.

Me too! I much prefer artificial lures to natural baits. I'm particularly fond of going after rainbow trout. What's your favorite?
Posts: 205 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too tired and lazy right now to see what I posted previously in introducing myself. Basically I'm just updating in a spare moment what's been happening lately before I sink back into sporadically posting lurkerdom. Graduated 2 years ago, did part time jobs and had a baby girl last year before finally getting a great job offer in architecture and moving in all of 2 weeks from the LA area to St. George, Utah. Man am I beat! Now back to my new life... But I'm still checking in [Smile]
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jav,

I couldn't remember if I ever posted on this the Introduction thread, turns out I did, on about page 5, here is one of the things I said.

quote:
I'm an atheist, who has been accused of being left wing, although I'm very patriotic and support the president and the recent war.
See, I told you I didn't start out hating Bush or the war.

I spelled Biggio without the last "i" and Baldar asked "Who's Craig Biggo?" I'm not sure if he just doesn't know baseball, or if he was being a jerk, but either way; it's telling when you look at what has happened to him. [Frown]

KE

[ August 05, 2005, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember, KE [Smile] I DO trust you to be honest - it's one of my favorite things about you!

quote:
Craig Biggio is God.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Member # 2546

- posted      Profile for Archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought God's name was "Howard". [Confused]
Posts: 205 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archer:

Actually, it's "Tim" - and you better remember it this time, lest you be stricken down! [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Member # 2546

quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
quote:

Actually, it's "Tim" - and you better remember it this time, lest you be stricken down! [Smile]
Then why do the Christians pray, "Howard be thy name"?
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
quote:
quote:

God's second cousin, Howard, is known to handle the prayer stuff when Tim is busy. [Smile]

[ August 05, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Archer
Member # 2546

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Someday I'll have a handle on this religion thing.
MoralDK
Member # 2547

- posted      Profile for MoralDK   Email MoralDK       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya. My name is MoralDK. Which is short for moral decay. The name came to me 8 years ago after reading some lame article where someone claimed computer games like Doom, Quake, & Half-Life were causing significant moral decay in American society.

I’m from the Midwest, am in my mid thirties, have a wife & two kids, and am semi-retired.

I moderate a debate section for a gaming clan called The Sunflowers 0f Death. It’s a TFC (Team Fortress Classic – which is a Half-Life mod) clan with about 30 active people. With only about 10 people who actually have any opinion about politics or debatable topics, it can get tedious. But they’re my friends so it’s still fun beating up the liberal punks without getting personal.

I have been lurking on and off here for a few months. I hesitated posting because often people have already said the things I would say so I was thinking what’s the point? I’m not the smartest guy in the world and 9 times out of 10 someone has said (or I know will say) what I would say – only far more clearly and eloquently.

But I decided my desire to participate is greater than my insecurities. So here I am.

Thanks.
Moral

[ August 06, 2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: MoralDK ]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Glad to see you, and welcome, MoralDK!
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to OA, MoralDK.

Thanks Jav. I really appreciate that. You've made my day. It's nice to know that somebody notices the few good qualities I posses.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Welcome to OA, MoralDK.

Thanks Jav. I really appreciate that. You've made my day. It's nice to know that somebody notices the few good qualities I posses.

KE

I'm sure that there are quite a few others here who appreciate and notice them too!
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

God's second cousin, Howard, is known to handle the prayer stuff when Tim is busy. [Smile]
I thought His first name was Lloyd. You know, "Lloyd, hear our prayer"?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by cperry:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought His first name was Lloyd. You know, "Lloyd, hear our prayer"?
Wow, I feel like I'm taken the position of "Hierarchy of Heaven Teacher" - wish it was paid. *sigh*

Anyway, Lloyd is actually Tim's agent - he passes all that prayer stuff onto Tim, if he figures it's worth Tim's time.

[ August 07, 2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
god! that post looked like a collapsible tree i just made in javascript

7 interwined while() loops

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyme
Member # 2571

- posted      Profile for missyme   Email missyme       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,
I am new to this site, as a moderate conservative
geering twoards hard core! LOL I hope to chat with the views of other conservatives about Current Events and the Political Climate, after 3 years on Freerepublic I was banned because I questioned Rumsfeld, Oh well hope we have more of a open mind here with hardliners and Moonbats!

A Native Californian I reside in San Diego and my occuaption is in nursing, in nationwide recruitment for my Hospital.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a moonbat?
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyme
Member # 2571

- posted      Profile for missyme   Email missyme       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOONBATS:

Bleeding Heart Liberals and there entire prose on the Political System in this country...

Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery, missyme.

Just a hint: you'll find it a more rewarding experience if you don't start with namecalling right off the bat. It's not really our style here.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just a hint: you'll find it a more rewarding experience if you don't start with namecalling right off the bat. It's not really our style here.
Speak for yourself, moonbat!

But seriously folks....some of my most interesting conversations on these boards have been with liberals like KE, Ricky, Ev, Adam, and others. So, welcome aboard, Missy. Keep your ears and mind open to the other side. They're ably represented here, and they even have a point sometimes. [Wink]

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to all the new members on the last few pages. Good and interesting mix of people.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyme
Member # 2571

Thanks Everyone for the welcome!
And as a Staunch Conservative I welcome interesting conversations with all including the liberals on this site.... [Smile]

IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey All,

I was skimming this thread (since I haven't yet before) and realized that I hadn't tossed anything in here yet...

I was a lurker long before I registered last Dec. So, here's the basic info...mid-20's male...grew up in central Ohio...moved up here to South Bend, IN to go to school...now a double Domer (go irish!) and working on #3 in computer engineering. Was raised sorta Catholic (we were occassional chuch goers), and still not a church going type. Also been heavily involved with Habitat for Humanity up here...good times.

Getting married in about a month and just bought a house this past summer...ahh, the joys of homeownership (at least it's been dry around here).

Can't really say where I fall on the political spectrum -- generally tend to be conservative/libertarian for most stuff...far more moderate on social issues. The engineering training wants to see gov't/society just work right...maybe someday.

Other hobbies: college FB and basketball, pro baseball (Braves) and football (Browns), outdoors stuff, reading, history, etc. More or less a bit of everything.

Methinks that should give all of ya enough background. [Smile]

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined and found this thread so I thought I'd post about me. No one will probably read it, but thats fine, most people find me boring.

I'm 25 year old male. Have degrees in Political Science (useless), Accounting (hated it), and Law (Just got it, hopefully I can make a living off it).

I'm a conservative, fundamentalist Christian who thinks that what the world needs is not more tolerance but more respect. I also think most people who criticize fundamental Christianity don't actual understand it and need to get their information about it from sources other than Hollywood. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell do not embody the average fundamentalist, but the "tolerant" left, which isn't all the left, like to think they do.

I'm a big fan of sports (Go Spurs!), movies (See Serenity!), and television (Watch anything involving Tim Minear).

I look forward to getting bashed in debates on this site.

BTW, I drive a Buick Le Sabre, so fast cars aren't really my thing.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
I just joined and found this thread so I thought I'd post about me. No one will probably read it, but thats fine, most people find me boring.
Welcome to Ornery - you are wrong.

I read it [Big Grin] - and there is your traditional greating! Welcome!

p.s. - I like your movie and tv picks [Smile]

[ October 06, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aerto, I hope you stick around. WELCOME!
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heyla. [Smile]

...Not that I'm going to stop lurking for the majority of the time or any such thing, but I thought it only polite to introduce myself, given that I've become a little less nervous about sticking my neck out and posting. First of all, I had no idea that this name actually meant something (I should have researched the pleasing combination of consonants and vowels before choosing it), so please don't hold it against me. Or for me. Ah, and I'm female, despite the apparent gender of the name--no, I didn't notice /that/, either.

I'm a musician (classical guitar) in my mid-twenties, and a current student (though not for very much longer), teacher (bafflingly enough), and performer. Composing's stuck at the wayside for the moment. I'm also fascinated by linguistics, religions, politics, stories, and other people's worldviews--assuming they don't outright repel me; I'm imperfect. I enjoy most written science fiction, too, preferably the older stuff; I created this account because I couldn't resist a Heinlein thread. Firefly's the first science fiction series I've enjoyed since B5 (Voyager killed Star Trek for me), and I'm rather annoyed that 'they' yanked it before I knew it existed. --Politically, I'm odd; religiously, I'm likewise. I'm a writer--because I write, not because I'm published. I live in the US (Texas, to be precise). I've done some travelling, but not enough.

I'm also just perceptive enough to notice that this is a terribly disconnected grouping of facts. [Wink]

--Chael

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it seems that it would be good manners to introduce myself before getting into the mix, I'll put my first post here.

I've got a BS in Electical and Computer Engineering that I put to very little use in my computer support and consulting jobe at Carnegie Mellon, and have always enjoyed learning for its own sake, and try to know enough about as many topics as possible to understand what's going on when more knowledgable folks talk about them.

I consider my self a little left of center on most topics, particuarly social ones, but not very extreme in most cases. Most of all I enjoy reading well reasoned arguments from all sides of an issue, or even not so well reasoned ones, just so long as they lend additional perspectives that I can use to evaluate my own beliefs. (Maybe even a bit compulsive in that regard- I had to read the entire World Watch archive once I got myself started on them, because of, rather than despite the points that I disagreed with.)

I'm not religious, though I do have a vague sense of spirituality, but definitly support free practice of most any religious belief, though I find it frustrating to see people that profess a belief but don't actually know anything about it.

I'd like to think that most of my opinions are informed, but I know that there's a lot of information out there that I haven't seen yet. I enjoy being wrong and seeing why just as much as helping someone else understand why I might just be right.

I look forward to getting to know the people here,

--
Karl

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome Aerto (so at least two people read about you, and Jav gave you the traditional welcome. If you're confused about that check the first post by Funean on the World Watch side of the forum) And Serenity, Buffy, and Angel rule. I admit though I had to ask my wife who Tim Minear was. I always thought Joss Whedon did it all on his own.

Welcome, Chael, as I said above I love Serenity/Firefly too. And we can always use more women here on OA. I'm in Texas too. League City, about halfway between Houston and Galveston.

And welcome Karl judging from your intro you've come to the right place. I too love to learn, and I've learned a lot since coming here.

KE

Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, all. [Wink]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya, KE!

Many thanks for the welcome. Sorry I didn't respond to you in the Serenity thread, by the way; I was waiting until the confusion over the person borrowing your name was over, and by that point it didn't seem really germane any longer. [Smile]

I'm in the sprawl that is Dallas. Nice to meet another Texan (*tip o' the nonexistant cap*). I didn't realize how much I self-identified with the state until I started pondering changing my residency. [Wink]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WP not having ever read page one of this thread made me laugh, reminded me to read the last couple of pages of this thread, and formally say hi to all those who joined in and were brave enough to reveal humanizing datum about their part of the universe.

Oh and WP, read more closely and fish the archives before you jump to any conclusions.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Athelstan
Member # 2566

- posted      Profile for Athelstan   Email Athelstan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I’d better introduce myself. Might be useful for those having trouble sleeping. I choose the name Athelstan not through any regal pretensions but for the fact that as Athelstan could claim to be the first Englishman he must also be the oldest.

I was born in London shortly after the end of WWII and played amongst the bomb rubble without knowing what it was. I thought the term bombsite meant playground. I heard Ozzie Osbourne say something similar. I grew up hearing stories of the Blitz and meeting the people who lived through it.

I’ve seen the Beatles & Stones play live when they and I were young. I took part in the real life Quadrophina but Sting would not have been on my side. My pride and joy was my Pre-unit construction Triumph Bonneville.

I’ve been a Shop Steward in a Nationalised Industry and the owner of my own Plumbing & Heating business. Married to the same woman for 37 years and have a daughter, son, granddaughter and a grandson.

Present interests Family History (no it really is interesting – thanks LDS) and renovating houses. At the moment I’m trying to get out of plastering.

I now live in Hampshire and outside is a sunny day. We seem to be getting the benefits of Global Warming at the moment. Is this turning in to a CV.

Anyone still awake.

My personal definition of Ornery

I write, “I love my Mum”
Someone replies, “It depends what you mean by term “love”.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Athelstan.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
My personal definition of Ornery

I write, “I love my Mum”
Someone replies, “It depends what you mean by term “love”.

Beautiful. Welcome, Athelstan!
wide-eyed_wonder_child
Member # 2645

- posted      Profile for wide-eyed_wonder_child   Email wide-eyed_wonder_child   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all! I'm only 16 (hence the child), quite an idealist (hence the wide-eyed) and I ask an awful lot of questions (hence the wonder.) My political leanings are a bit muddled, probably because I've never really managed to learn about politics in general. I refer to myself as a scary liberal child in my most common political forum (the AP English classroom) because most of my fellow nerds are conservative, but I'm open to suggestion. Really, I'm just here to learn a bit more so I don't sound quite so stupid. Really, I am pretty smart. Really.

I've been raised Catholic, but I have some pretty odd views on religion, and on what I consider myself to be.

I'm a junior in high school, taking mostly honors/college prep/ AP classes, and I hope to teach music or be a music therapist, and of course keep on writing my zany fictions. My four favorite authors are Orson Scott Card, Robert A. Heinlien, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Henry David Thoreau. I also hve a blog on Xanga.com under the name shealawind that you're free to check out, but it more often discusses events within my little circle of friends than events of the world.

"A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds..." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frcisafraud
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for frcisafraud   Email frcisafraud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, I am new myself. I do however have some strong political views and a basic freedom education.

I enjoy to continue learning and sharing that which I know to be true as well.
..How far down the rabbit hole do we want to go?

Oh and excuse my poor gramar, writing, punctuation, etc. I will not submitt to the writers forum any time soon.
-frc

[ October 23, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: frcisafraud ]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page