Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
CasualObserver
Member # 2783

- posted      Profile for CasualObserver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, hello.
I'm a college student in engineering. Looking back, I'd say I entered college libertarian (tho I doubt I'd heard the term before), but the leftist machine that is today's respected universities has done it's job well with me and I'm now quite the typical liberal.

I love love love questioning the fundamentals, exploring identity, especially my own, and forcing myself to grow and change. Religion is irrelevant to all that for me.

Really I am hoping someone can point me the way to a support group for people who've had the same favorite books since 4th grade (Ender's Game et al) and have just discovered their author to be personally opposed to everything they believe in.

I could be exaggerating. His article on gay marriage really depressed me.

[ February 17, 2006, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: CasualObserver ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee hee, lots of us end up here that way, Casual Observer. Reassuringly, though, if you read some of the threads over on World Watch, you'll find that even the folks who agree with OSC's positions often find the way he constructs his arguments troubling.

I'll agree with RedskullW's comments just above yours that this is a fairly remarkable site, and a good place for a "questioner" who's prepared to debate ideas respectfully and throroughly with others possessing a wide variety of viewpoints.

Oh, and welcome to Ornery! You are, of course, wrong.

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome CO. Ender's Game is my favorite book, too. And I felt/feel just as you do now so if your looking for a support group, you've found us. The good news is that the book and OSC seem to attract a very diverse group, and many of them are very very smart, and almost all of them are very respectful and good people at heart. Some of the best people here are totally insane when it comes to their political and world view. [Wink] And then there is Funean, the only person ever to be loved by every single member of OA. [Smile]

I guess you know that "Welcome to Ornery, you are wrong" is the traditional greeting? No reflection on you or your post. Hope to see you around. Welcome to Ornery...

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's okay Casual Observer, a lot of us libertarians are still looking for a way to reclaim the word "liberal" and make it mean the same thing it means everywhere outside of the developed West: free markets and free people.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved by every single member of OA? Sounds like a tiring day [Smile]
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... is it hard work, trying to convert Hell into an ice rink?
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Agent
Member # 2805

- posted      Profile for Alien Agent   Email Alien Agent       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alrighty.

Mark C. Bakersfield, Cailfornia. Age: 23. Simply put, as I spend more time here, a lot of you may like me less and less, as I do not like being nice. It's hard for me to be nice, why? I don't exaclty know why, but it just is. Opinions exist. Anyway, I have a simple standpoint of common sense and since tolerance for incompetance for me is an absolute zero, I shall SMITE all who oppose the meaning of 'coexistance.' And you probably don't know what in the world i'm talking about so i'll sum it up fast. I am evil. Deal with it.

[ March 03, 2006, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Alien Agent ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to OA. [Smile]

KE

FuzzyBink
Member # 2823

- posted      Profile for FuzzyBink   Email FuzzyBink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I recently joined Hatrack as well (which means that I, like many, am a major fan of OSC). I'm a student in Chicago. I would describe myself as classicially conservative, but I'm not sure if I like any of the parties enough to join them. I would have voted for Goldwater, my theory of economy is of the Austrian model, and Rep. Ron Paul is my political hero. My typical answer to most political issues is: Must this be a federal issue? Can't the states take care of it?

However, my beliefs can change and I am very open-minded. I really don't understand those who are completely dictated by ideology. In terms of foreign policy, I am a dove and advocate free trade of all kinds, but, once again, I am still unresolved on a lot of issues. I definitely don't believe in extensive cultural relativism though.

I also like discussing pop culture, literature, and all sorts of randomness! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

~Kristen

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, FuzzyBink! We'll give you the more traditional welcome once you've posted on a particular thread subject. [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephenJK
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for StephenJK         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I am a college student in college, undeclared, and living in the Houston area (sugar land, tx). I am 23 years old. My beliefs are closest to Tao, but I'm not sure if you could call me a Taoist for I have not lived The Way.

I am an independant politically and am willing to listen to any argument that has their facts straight (but that's usually not the case).

I just joined this site, but have been reading OSC's articles for a few months now.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome Stephen. I've already given you the official greeting on the World Watch side. I too am in Texas; League City.

KE

dwaylay
Member # 2841

- posted      Profile for dwaylay   Email dwaylay       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Derek. College student who is currently finding things to do when not in school. Cherokee. Left libertarian by the political compass. Like categories but know about different shades of grey. 21 and divorced. Eyes so bad nearly legally blind whatever that means.Tahlequah Ok.

[ March 28, 2006, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: dwaylay ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RP.
Member # 2840

- posted      Profile for RP.   Email RP.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, all. I'm RP., I am currently an articled clerk and will be called to the bar of Prince Edward Island around the end of June. It looks as though most of the people on this forum are rightists, so I expect there'll be some good discussions.

My wife's been buying me OSC books every year for my birthday, and I have mostly enjoyed them. There's quite a difference in writing style, I find, between his columns and his books.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
most of the people on this forum are rightists
...but not all [Wink]
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaveS:
quote:
most of the people on this forum are rightists
...but not all [Wink]
Or even most.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnAmericanYOU
Member # 2845

- posted      Profile for UnAmericanYOU   Email UnAmericanYOU       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, another new member here.

Liked the name of the site, so I lurked for awhile then joined.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I should get around to introducing myself sometime. Like now. My name is Kevin and I live in the Ture North, Strong and Free. I guess I'm right wing, although I would much rather be a leftie, except the lefties in my country have all the wrong political goals and beliefs. My parents were shocked, actually, to discover how right wing I had become. They were quite active in the local NDP party when they were younger. I tried to explain that with a left wing establishment in the country, right was the new left, but they didn't really get it. I'm here mostly because my thoughts, especially on important topics, get circular without fresh input. Also, I hate logical fallacies. I will respect everyone except those who have troubles with first year logic.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to OA! You are all wrong! [Smile]

KE

Random Paper
Member # 2800

- posted      Profile for Random Paper   Email Random Paper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all I've been an avid fan of OSC for years now. I love to read whatevers intresting and I find this site especially entertaining. Found it not to long ago and now I cant keep from visiting for to long. Looking forward to enlighting conversations.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coatesie
Member # 2854

- posted      Profile for Coatesie   Email Coatesie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, all. I live in Chicago, where I provide editorial services. I'm a big fan of the writings of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, and would probably classify myself as "classically liberal" if the term "liberal" in isolation hadn't come to mean nearly the opposite

My favorite presidents from history are Grover Cleveland and Calvin Coolidge.

I love the Cubs.

I've been working on reading the Alvin Maker series for a while, but I haven't been able to find a copy of the third book yet.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

Welcome Random Paper and Coatesie!

You're both wrong! [Big Grin]

javelin
Member # 1284

Here's a link to pickup book #3, Coatesie - there are some cheap used copies too:

Amazon

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, your first to second favorite president is... Calvin Coolidge???

Not to put you on the spot, but just for curiosity's sake - care to explain?

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably harder to explain being a Cubs fan. [Smile]

Welcome.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up on the NW side of Chicago.

The allure of the perennially losing Cubs is like that of the old Brooklynn Didgers.

One adores thwe Cubs and fears the Lincoln Park pirates...

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Brooklynn Didgers'

That's just WRONG.

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda like "didgers." I mean, what's a dodger anyway? Is that really a good thing, in baseball? Don't they want to catch the ball, not dodge it?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

I think they meant Dodgers like Dickens did in Oliver Twist: a street-savvy ruffian. Brooklynn, you know.
TheMiser3
Member # 2838

- posted      Profile for TheMiser3         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I'm new to this whole thing, I had a friend get me involved in it and I've enjoyed reading the topics and being able to post my own opinions. I'm currently somewhere in the middle of a big pile of crap called indiana. Moving shortly to a different part of the pile of crap called indiana for the summer. I would consider myself liberal to moderate. Thats all you really need to know.. If you want to know anything else, just ask.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberal
Member # 2888

- posted      Profile for Liberal   Email Liberal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was drawn to this site because I am an avid fan of Mr. Card's fiction, yet quite opposed to the political commentary he writes. I was expecting this to be a stodgy conservatively-biased board, and after lurking a while there IS an overall conservative/libertarian bias, but it is only slight, and I am surprised at the level of civil discourse.

I am a chemist from Portland, Oregon. I have a masters in biochemistry and am working on a PhD in biochemical engineering.

My personal political outlook is unbiased when I evaluate things, but I usually tend to wind up with a liberal perspective. I guess I believe humans are very connected and that government should reflect that.

I look forward to conversing with you all!

Posts: 228 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You non-New Yorkers... [Big Grin]

Back in the 19th century, they had streetcars in ole Crooklyn, and people from the borough were famous for their acquired ability to dodge through the traffic. Hence, the name "Dodgers".

Cursed be the name of Walter O'Malley forever and ever!

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Liberal - WELCOME! I also hail from the beautiful city of Portland, OR - I'm one of our local "techies" - in the area of application development.

Hope we hear more from you.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the new faces.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexi
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for Alexi   Email Alexi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you want to know who the heck I am.

I am 19, white, male, located in Michigan (I tell people Russia, because I like the idea), studying two of the most jobless professions available, theater performance and film, and interested in just about everything. People who say I am smart are the same that think parrots know what they are saying, though occassionally I think an original thought, and the world ends.

My car is a Ford, non-truck, non-fast POS, and is currently broken. My political stance is that political stances divide people who need unity more than anything else, and therefore should be abolished. I type fairly accurately for one who thinks spell check is for those dumb efficient people.

Why am I here? I would like to say because I am interested in what you folks think, and want to put in my input. But in my heart of hearts, I realize that I am only doing this because this is how Peter Wiggin got his start on the way to world domination in Ender's Game, and Peter Wiggin is more like me than any character in literature (except I never really tormented my little brother). Yeah, I read OSC. Haven't liked anything better than Ender's Game though. Dune was close, but not quite.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexi
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for Alexi   Email Alexi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I know that Dune is Frank Herbert, not OSC. I realise on second reading that this may not have been clear before.)
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Alexi. Welcome to Ornery. You're wrong.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello... I am an old grandma from Virginia. I love music, cooking, art, politics, my country, my husband, my children, my grandchildren and the people that God has blessed me with in my life.
I stumbled upon this board by reading one of Mr.Cards books and posting about it on another forum. To my delight another member mentioned this website. So here I am.
I am liking what I am seeing so far. [Big Grin]

Winkey

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome.
javelin
Member # 1284

Welcome, Winkey!
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page