Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say that now... [Smile]

Thanks guys.

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another female, glory shout.

Welcome, winkey! [Smile]

Posts: 5274 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobsen is a surname used by some families, probably a variant of Hobson by people who had difficulty in spelling. The meaning might be "good son;" I chose it simply to be short, unique and inoffensive. My actual surname means "powerful as a pig," which might be more appropriate for The Ornery American.

Anyway I am a grandfather approaching seventy, a retiree from a career in computer operations, and a resident of northern California.

Posts: 4346 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, hobsen! Hope to see you around!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery. You are wrong.

Stick around and we'll tell you why. [Smile]

KE

[ July 05, 2006, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannabersc
Member # 2960

- posted      Profile for wannabersc   Email wannabersc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, gals and others,

42 yr old male, Union Boilermaker (not a drink),weldor, fabricator, mechanic, high rigger. Father of a beautifull 16 yr old girl who is much brighter than I.
4 yrs tech via U.S. Navy & Union (3/1 ratio), 37 yrs Universal School of Hard Knocks... no degree as yet.

Politically active, un-affiliated. Am an American, not some Party animal. To put it bluntly, both parties have p-ssed me off. Their orchestrated tyranny, rank stupidity and (oddly enough) thoughtfull treason have pushed me to look else where. Can't hold them in contempt, they are smart and know exactlly what they do to myself, my Country and Her Constitution.

Firmly believe we need r/d to replace present internal combustion/petro chemical driven societal noose. We must move on. No more payments to ME countries that in turn wage war on the West. They (the citizens of afore alluded to countries) must free themselves or else learn how to eat sand, IMHO.

Dive when I can (sky/water), unapologetic smoker, would like to purchase a '69 MGB GT but don't want to waste my time on the side of the road adjusting the valves.

I have spell check and am not afraid to use it.

May add more later, if there is time.

wannabersc

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, wannabersc. A couple of years back I met by chance a woman who gave me some fascinating information about "pile butts," the workers who drive the huge timbers used to support buildings and wharves and whatever. We should always treasure thoughtful people who know things they did not learn in college.

[ July 25, 2006, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4346 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, wannabersc! You should fit right in around here.

Of course, you are still wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 5274 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannabersc
Member # 2960

- posted      Profile for wannabersc   Email wannabersc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the World, "wrong" and "American" are synonymous, Funean.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Oh, that's right! [Big Grin]
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hobsen:
Welcome, wannabersc. A couple of years back I met by chance a woman who gave me some fascinating information about "pile butts," the workers who drive the huge timbers used to support buildings and wharves and whatever. We should always treasure thoughtful people who know things they did not learn in college.

"Pile butts." That's just wrong. Ornery or otherwise. <shudder>
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CardassianScot
Member # 787

- posted      Profile for CardassianScot   Email CardassianScot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd let folks know I'm back, after around a year away. If anyone's interested why I've been away I'll fill you in. Basically I've been too busy to post, although I've been lurking every now then. Basiclly, my wife and I were approached about being volunteer missionaries to help out at Bible college in Mozambique. In order to have a means of paying for this we decided I should go back to college and do a teacher training degree. So in the midst of doing a very time intensive degree, moving cities, doing a part time job and my wife and I have had our first child (a boy called Jaime), I've just been a bit too busy to write the kind of replies I've wanted to from time to time. But I've finished the degree now so I've got a bit more time on my hands.
Posts: 443 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very glad to see you CS!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruevy
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, my name is Ryan English and I am 24. I'm single, but handsome and available for parties. [Wink]

My hobbies include Japanese manga and anime, Chinese martial arts, video games, literature, arguing about politics, and... hiking. I play a few instruments as well.

I am an undergrad student in English with aspirations of being a professor.

Politically, I'm a confusing admixture of anarchism and classical conservatism. I believe that the highest order of social organization defines the lesser orders all the way down to the individual, which is why social and moral issues are so important. The government defines the society, which is why I am an anarchist. I want things to be wrong because they are wrong, and not because they are illegal.

Here're some bashing points for you in arguments: I'm LDS, I'm from Utah, and I vote Republican. I'm not ashamed to admit any of those. Also, I, like one of my heroes, Dennis Prager, value clarity over agreement.

Posts: 256 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to Ornery. You are wrong.

KE

gruevy
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I can feel the love already. [Smile] Actually, now that I know that I am wrong, I can go, like, die in a fire, or something, right?
Posts: 256 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to Ornery! Check it out, it explains my post. Again, welcome, don't die in a fire. [Smile]

KE

gruevy
Member # 2985

Ya, after reading a bit more I found out that it seems to be a sort of standard greeting around here [Smile]
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I've lived in Spokane, WA for the past several years but was born and raised in Tucson, AZ.

Not sure where I stand on the political scale right now, but have enjoyed reading the posts.

Hoping I'm the 4000th member. I hear somebody suggested a bottle of fine liquor for the winner. I'll take Boone's Farm, Strawberry Hill. My tastebuds are refined.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See?!? Everyone's moving to Spokane!
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 2990

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who else is in Spokane? I saw one, 0Meg, I think.
Posts: 249 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenmeer lives in Spokane.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

Boone's Farm, the wine that says right on the label, "Serve very cold!" [Big Grin]

Welcome to Ornery, Sunshine. Needless to say, you are wrong.

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funean:
Boone's Farm, the wine that says right on the label, "Serve very cold!" [Big Grin]

Just like revenge. hmmm....

I think I just found a new favorite wine.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kenmeer livermaile:
Kenmeer lives in Spokane.

The call is coming from inside the house!

Welcome, Sunshine, of course you are wrong. Country Kwencher (pronounced 'quencher') was for refined taste. Although I think they stopped making it and you probably would have had to settle for Apple. Not drinking beer I was quite the cheap wine connoisseur as a youth.

KE

Vertigo
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Vertigo   Email Vertigo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. I'm from Queens, NY.
I'm 19 and I'm still a guy. I'm skinny enough to still tell.
I'm a Libertarian. A radical. Introvert. And oh so agnostic. I'm also a pessimist, if you find that attractive.

I also like stuff.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Just so you know, Vertigo, a person's gender is generally a lifetime thing.
gruevy
Member # 2985

Welcome. Also, since kenmeer didn't already tell you, you are wrong.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

No he's not. So there.
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
Who else is in Spokane? I saw one, 0Meg, I think.

I grew up in Spokane.
banana
Member # 3002

- posted      Profile for banana   Email banana       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am banana I live in Australia,just browsing the american forums to see if yours are any different to the ones I participate in in Australia, my favourite forum is where I live most of the time mycoffeelounge.net, it is different to here in it's design and coding.

I see you have no avatars or pics anywhere... I read the rules on advertising so I am not sure if putting my forums ^ is allowed, I do not mean to advertise I am only saying that is the forum I mainly hang in. I can not see the edit button in case I have done wrong and need to edit.
Cant see a quote button either:| oh well I will check out a little more as I may have just missed things.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
banana
Member # 3002

- posted      Profile for banana   Email banana       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
banana,Cant see a quote button either:| oh well I will check out a little more as I may have just missed things.
Just checking what I should be useing [Smile] found edit.

Oops now I see all at the bottom, I did not see that before [Frown]

[ August 19, 2006, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: banana ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Those can be slow to load for my tortoise of an Internet collection. Glad to have an Australian opinion added. The standard Ornery greeting is "You are Wrong!" This reflects the fact that all of us are, I think, frequently.
banana
Member # 3002

quote:
hobsen"You are Wrong!" This reflects the fact that all of us are, I think, frequently.
Lol nice greetings to you also [Razz] some think us Aussies are weird... I may be so don't go judging them all on me hehe

Bit slower loading pages here but then I will get used to it.

[ August 19, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: banana ]

hobsen
Member # 2923

No worry, banana, I have known other weird Australians. But they do form a treasured minority in the general Australian population.
banana
Member # 3002

quote:
hobsonI have known other weird Australians
Hey we have one where I normlay play, his name is Skidmark, man the things he has done in his life are amazing, he used to be with a rock band, knows heaps of people, been through the grinder a few times in his life [Frown]

The Blog he has in forums is so cool to read, I admire the way he has dragged himself out from under all the crap he has experienced.

This is so strange in here,I have not seen a swear word yet, forum I come from it is free speach, they can swear or post in the sex forums without moderation so long as there is not animal or pedophile references, they post what they like.

Hope I do not screw up and post abnormaly against the rules :|

[ August 20, 2006, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: banana ]

hobsen
Member # 2923

Educated people, at least in the United States, do not use such language without good reason. (Kicking the dishwasher with my bare foot last night as I passed through the kitchen constituted good reason.) Also this is Orson Scott Card's living room - or so he says I believe - so I would not care to offend my host. This forum has a filter also, at least I think so, but I do not test what it forbids.

[ August 20, 2006, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

banana
Member # 3002

hey I go by forum rules, I am a Mod so I know rules need to be adhered to most of the time.

Never considered educated people were all that much different to uneducated when it came to language abuse [Razz] vocabulary may vary or articulation skills... I do know what you mean though.

TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am banana I live in Australia,just browsing the american forums to see if yours are any different to the ones I participate in in Australia"

American forums are much more educated and open-minded than Australian forums.

Posts: 6382 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all the new people, and wandering people who returned.
Posts: 6332 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  29  30  31   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page