Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
Celebrindal
Member # 3021

- posted      Profile for Celebrindal   Email Celebrindal       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<rushed intro> I'm Elizabeth, a high school student from New Jersey. I'm here mostly because when I discuss politics at school, arguments usually end with something like "John Kerry isn't the president...?" If I had to describe myself politically it would be "pragmatist"... I don't think all of the problems we have to solve can be adequately solved by the application of any ideology. (But in the interest of full disclosure, I'll point out that I don't really like the current administration and often fall slightly left-of-center.) Other interests include knitting, running, history, and researching obscure topics.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Celebrindal! <everyone chime in now> "You're wrong!"

(Read back a few posts; it'll make sense.)

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If I had to describe myself politically it would be "pragmatist""

Welcome to the club [Smile]

"I'm here mostly because when I discuss politics at school, arguments usually end with something like "John Kerry isn't the president...?""

To be honest, it's an excellent rebuttal if you are arguing that he is the president...

Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[LOL]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(dons Nixon mask, raises both hands in match-grip V-for-Victory signs, and says):

"I am NOT a decider!"

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm a deciduous!.....Um...that's funny because in my travels I have experienced the fact that people come up to me all across this nation and sometimes they tell me that my character is often perceived to be somewhat wooden in nature to which I reply with great compassion and dedication, Thank you for your support, I'm reporting for duty."

[ September 13, 2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he pines for Jesus...
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Pines for Jesus? Do you think He's really in the market for a tree?
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

He was a carpenter you know.
canadian
Member # 1809

I think you've nailed it.
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Twice touche'.
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very punny, canadian.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roac
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Roac   Email Roac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello OA, I am an oceanographer who recently entered the workforce, but in in my case that is not much different from still going to school, but you get paid for it. I fall into the category of "American living abroad" or in local parlance I am a "come from away". I too was saddened when Firefly went off the air. I too love a good bottle of wine, which goes well with another of my favorite pastimes - cooking. Now, I am off to enjoy both. Have a lovely weekend.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! I always wanted to be an oceanographer, as I was growing up, right until the moment that I realized that I dislike fish, intensely.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, jav, that would do it, wouldn't it?
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

You could learn their weaknessess...
TommySama
Member # 2780

They get inside your head! Look! They did it to Johnny, they wanna get to know us, so they can kill us!
Roac
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Roac   Email Roac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much of a fish fan either, so I study phytoplankton. Anything above ~100 micrometers that's non-photosynthetic, I'm not interested in. Believe it or not - most oceanographers don't study fish more than grilled and on a plate. So hurry jav, there is still time!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

That's a good point, Roac. I'll have to consider it... [Smile]
PresidentPeanut
Member # 3074

- posted      Profile for PresidentPeanut         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone! Nice to meet you. [Smile]

Don't let the name fool you, I'm proud head of state of the Orthodox Legume community.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Just another peanut-head [Wink]
TommySama
Member # 2780

I've never properly introduced myself, here's a little essay I turned into my history teacher this trimester so she would know a little about me:

Hi, my name is Tommy M@#$%^&d,

I’m tall, attractive, funny, intelligent, and modest.

This summer I spent about 25 hours a week working. I also spent a considerable amount of time reading (especially political debates on on-line forums) which I think might have changed my understanding of world politics and just my general knowledge of all the horrible stuff going on in the world.
Other than that, I did the normal stuff an 18 year old boy does: hung out with friends; slept until 2 in the afternoon... but no parties, of course. Most of my friends graduated last year, but apparently it turns out I have some friends in my grade.
Things I’m actually interested in are American politics and world events. This summer I paid a lot of attention to Middle East conflicts, and read a lot about the history of the region.

shum57
Member # 2661

- posted      Profile for shum57   Email shum57       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to read some of the intros. I first registered a year ago, but visit only infrequently.

I am 34, married. We have two boys, with the third (another boy, heaven help us) on the way. We've just moved from NYC to Seattle, partly to be closer to my family in the West and in-laws in Japan. I miss the vibrancy and diversity of NYC, but there are mountains out here! And the slower pace is lending itself to my writing habit.

I am a financial analyst with an MA in Economics and a BA in Japanese (minor in poli sci), both from Brigham Young University. Hope to be writing full time (YA and Political/Econ historical novel) within five years.

I share OSC's core religious beliefs as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormon church), but very few of his political views. I feel that true Christians should be more on the side of things like peace, universal healthcare and assistance for widows and children (you know, doing the things the Saviour said, rather than simply using his name in your speaches).

If that pisses you off, you're wrong.

(Tongue-in-cheek is hard to do ala post).

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. Excellently said.

How far are you from Enumclaw? we used to have a great member from there.

Welcome, Tommy. [Wink]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Washington state attracts greatness.

Riding the ferries is the best.

TommySama
Member # 2780

"Welcome, Tommy. [Wink] "

... You are right.

[Big Grin]

shum57
Member # 2661

- posted      Profile for shum57   Email shum57       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. We're about 40 miles North of Enumclaw (had to look it up on Google maps).
Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Cool, if you bump into Paul so hi for me. [Wink]

KE

Matteo522
Member # 3103

- posted      Profile for Matteo522   Email Matteo522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I figure since I've started posting I should introduce myself. My name is Matt, which you may have gathered from my nick. [Smile]

I'm a 23 year-old computer programmer currently employed at a successful game developer. I work in the Tools department, which means that I make the programs that lets everyone else do their jobs, although recently I've been spending a lot of time doing facial animation programming. Basically I'm in charge of making sure the characters in the game show appropriate emotion and lip-sync to their dialogue (and my god has this turned out to be so much more nuanced than I originally thought).

Politically, you'll mostly see me side with the right until they start getting all batty with morality legislation and censorship. I'm also fairly libertarian in the sense that I think people are generally good and can generally take care of themselves and each other without the government mandating it. I have little faith that government can touch anything without screwing it up and turning it into a bulged-out monster that will implode on its own gravity. But that's a different topic. [Smile] In general, you'll find that I'm fairly laid back, though.

My interests include gaming (can't wait for the Wii next month!!), tech, politics, going to the beach, and hanging out with friends. As for TV, I don't watch much except for the shows I'm loyal to... currently Lost, Heroes, South Park, and Family Guy. Oh, and I need to get my tripped-out-cosmological-Carl-Sagan-with-LSD-stained-galactic-images fix every Tuesday on the Science channel. [Smile]

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 2780

"I'm a 23 year-old computer programmer currently employed at a successful game developer."

Welcome to Ornery.

You are wrong.

seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I'm Steve. 28, sales and school. A peregrinating product of modern globalization, I don't really have a place I hail from, but I currently reside in San Jose, Ca. Good town.

I'm generally willing to engage in a debate from either side. I have my convictions, but I'm too certain of my fallibility to feel obliged to impose them on others. I try to avoid dogmatism like any virulent plague, with the obvious exception of the fundamental tenet which predicates all reality: The fact that "Better Off Dead" is the funniest movie of all time. As long as everyone acknowledges this central truth, I'm certain we'll get along.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to Ornery, Matt. You are wrong.

KE

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, let's not forget Steve! You're wrong, too. [Smile]
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot possibly be wrong. The only assertion I have made here is that "Better Off Dead" is the funniest film ever--which is an indisputable truth! [Smile]
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Get your testicles off of me, sp!
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

"You know, like octopus? Testicles."

"I didn't ask for a dime."

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Well, welcome, ma'am. You're wrong. Being wrong is price of admission to Ornery. And by the way, you have NO idea, I think, of just how much trouble you're in for.

A tip: grab a copy of Card's 'Ender's Game' before you dive much deeper.

It's a quick page-turner of a deeply thoughtful read.

javelin
Member # 1284

KL, you scared her post right off the forum! [Frown]
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

She'll be back. She knows she wants to. We'll be nice. But it would have been cruel of me not to forewarn her. Articles but no fiction? She was walking into a trap.

Let her return gushing of Ender's Game and all will be joost swell... I declare today Tawlk Lahke Bo-r-r-at Day!

High Faaifvhe!

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page