Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 20)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
mamapajamas
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for mamapajamas   Email mamapajamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a 58-year old computer tech, I've been involved with computers in one way or another since "telecommunications" meant handing a tape to courier to drive over to the satellite uplink. I went through more intense training in the Air Force when I enlisted in 1969, and have continued on. Today, I'm a "leader" of one of those new-fangled "teams". ROFLMAO! It does amuse me... Mostly I teach new computer people (most of them straight out of college or some form of tech school), I teach in English instead of Conversational Computerese, and use my historic memory of 10 unique mainframes (not counting eqipment upgrades) to good advantage.

College in the '80s... my degree work was in anthropology/prehistoric civilizations. This was an avocation rather than a career choice... I had already decided that I would stay with computers. But because of it, I tend to take a VERY long view of most everything. My studies centered on Meso-Americans. In forums that use avatars, I use a tiny image of an Aztec Eagle Knight that I built in a 3-d computer graphics program [Big Grin] .

I was attracted here when I heard OSC speak on radio... the Lars Larson Show, I think. He was talking about his essay on the War on Terror, and I feel that he is right about it. I came here to read it, and was delighted to see that there is a discussion forum.

Nice to meet you all [Smile] .

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery. Good to have yet another person with a computer background.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matteo522
Member # 3103

- posted      Profile for Matteo522   Email Matteo522   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matteo522 - pretty sure you aren't allowed to say those kind of words in this civilized forum. [Wink]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olddeadmeat
Member # 3190

- posted      Profile for olddeadmeat   Email olddeadmeat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salutations:

I am in my late 30s, happily married with 19 year old stepson (whom I adopted) and a 7 year old daughter.

My monicker was inspired by the movie "Hot Shots" While playing laser tag with my step son, I needed an alias to for the scoring. Since I was older than most of the players, they decided to combine old with DeadMeat from the movie. So Olddeadmeat it is.

I double majored in journalism/political science, became a lawyer working for a non-profit with a grant from the Legal Services Corporation.

I got married, and my wife pointed out my work was miserable, so I wound up taking over a family tech business.

In West Texas, apparently I am liberal. In Austin I appear to stand just to the left of Jesse Helms. Found this forum after a couple of political blogs referenece OSC's post re: voting for the GOP because the Democrats have no plan.

I know I am wrong about something. Just don't know what.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamapajamas
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for mamapajamas   Email mamapajamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Matteo... I haven't seen binary in more than 30 years! [Big Grin]

Thanks for the memory! [Smile]

Thanks for the Hello, Hobsen! [Smile]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrae
Member # 3197

- posted      Profile for Mithrae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey y'all. I heard about this forum from a relative a few months back and finally got round to taking a look. Looks good. I'm male, in my early twenties and currently pursuing a worthwhile career in the fast food industry. One day I may get a life. I'm not actually an Ornery American, but I hope you're not too unkind to Aussies here. [Cool]

[ November 16, 2006, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Mithrae ]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I know I am wrong about something. Just don't know what."

YOu're wrong: you DO know what it is that you're wrong about. Good thing you're just plai wrong, though, otherwise I could call you a lair.

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. Almost forgot. Welcome to Ornery! [Smile]
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome indeed, and you're all as wrong as Kenmeer Livermaile [Wink] -- who is never wrong!
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Uh, Richard? You're wrong [Wink] Truth is that, right or wrong, I'm often paradoxical.
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome all to Ornery. You are wrong. Or soon will be.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marinero
Member # 3113

- posted      Profile for Marinero   Email Marinero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted you all to know I'm famous. I am the guys who Capt Malich is based off of in Empire, except I'm a Marine, not a (pansy) soldier, and I am not that witty, or smart, and I'm not studying political science. I was going to email OSC about correcting those errors, but it would have ruined the story, but I forgot, so add that to the list of "not-me" attrubutes. Ok, so really I am not the basis for the character, but I am a Marine, going to college so that they have a more literate bullet sponge to lead the other bullet sponges. I like it, makes me smile. I also have two little monkeys and one on the way that I consider my children (because I'm their dad).
Posts: 58 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for Michelle   Email Michelle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Michelle, I was born in Washington D.C. on the Four-of-July, forty-four years ago...

My mother bought me a plastic White House with little plastic presidents all the way up through Johnson, the year Nixon was elected.

I loved them all, good and bad. [Wink]

I have no degrees, no directions, and no hubby.
But the power of the "remote" is mine!

Quote: "I am short with my words, terrible with my grammer and spelling, and as so many have noted.. brutally blunt and without tact." -Redskullvw...

Ditto...and may I add I have this thing with the "truth". I want it. I need it. Always.

I simply do not understand the use of the *little white lie*...

I've been told this might be a sign of Asberger Syndrome? I think they are lying...

Posts: 800 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery, Michelle. You are wrong.
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

- posted      Profile for HockeyMonkey123   Email HockeyMonkey123   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I’m, obviously, new here. From the upper Midwest and I am ornery! The politics in my region are a mess - and I feel that there's all together WAY too much time, energy and expense spent on dealing with the disasters the local and regional politicians create for themselves here in attempting to edify their offices. Small town America can be a very lonely place for a traditional conservative! - But, then again, I MAY be wrong...
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No may about it. At Ornery, you ARE wrong. [Smile]

Welcome to the site.

Where in the upper Midwest are you?

I am in sout western Ohio.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

- posted      Profile for HockeyMonkey123   Email HockeyMonkey123   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the Wonderful Upper Peninsula of Michigan - more like part of Wisconsin than Michigan - but - Michigan none-the-less. I have family in Ohio - Cincinnati and Columbus/Upper Arlington.

Thanks for the welcome!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Canoeing along the Wisconsin/Michigan border when I was 14 (and in the process of reading "Stranger in a Strange Land") was one of the most etherial and formative experiences of my life.
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HM,

My wife and I would love to retire there. We both love snow and from what we understand, you folks get a bunch of it.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have friends in Upper Arlington. (I lived in Dublin for a few years).
Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

Oh sorry--just skimming the posts--I thought you implied YOU were from UA. Still, good town.
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

My older Brother was Supt. of Schools in Upper A a few years back. Visited there - very nice area. Lot's of $$ from what I could see!
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

quote:
Originally posted by msquared:
HM,

My wife and I would love to retire there. We both love snow and from what we understand, you folks get a bunch of it.

msquared

'm' - If there's any info I can provide - let me know. I was born on the Eastern end of the UP and currently live in the South Central area (Right on the MI/WI border, kenmeer) - I left many years ago for service in the Navy - lived in a few metro areas after college to build a career and finally got the opportunity to move back 'home' - best move I could have made for MANY reasons. I love it here - but - it takes a certain type of soul to 'feel' that! The pace is definitely a lot slower and the people can be perceived as wary or stand-off~ish until you get to know them. Territorial, I guess is a good way to put it! Living in isolation tends to make one more base in behavior! Anyway, snow levels where I am are much lower than the rest of the UP - we live in what's affectionately known as the 'banana belt' of the upper Midwest - we get plenty of snow - but the big stuff mostly passes either north or south of my county - odd, but true - My secret Utopia!
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, HockeyMonkey, have a pastie for me, you yoopee you [Smile]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Spring through fall in that region is superb. Summer is all that summer should be -- so long as you are on the inside of screened windows come sunset. Skeeters.

And for those who adore winter (me), it is year-round utopia.

HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

The Pasty. There's history for you. The food of the God's - Yooper Ambrosia! It's what keeps body and soul connected here in the North Country - particularly during winter - but they're enjoyed year round!
Curious? Look here: http://www.pasty.com/

[ December 04, 2006, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: HockeyMonkey123 ]

Tom_paines_ghost
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for Tom_paines_ghost   Email Tom_paines_ghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome all, I am enjoying this site quite a lot. I teach school in rural Alaska and need some good intellectual conversation. So far it seems as thug there is a good group here with a wide range of viewpoints.

So hello.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Hello TPG

Welcome to Ornery.

You are wrong.(Traditional Ornery Welcome)

msquared

[ December 06, 2006, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: msquared ]

Tom_paines_ghost
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for Tom_paines_ghost   Email Tom_paines_ghost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I am. Isn't everyone?
Posts: 555 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marinero
Member # 3113

- posted      Profile for Marinero   Email Marinero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not, the voices tell me I'm right.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

quote:
Originally posted by Marinero:
I'm not, the voices tell me I'm right.

The voices are wrong...
Marinero
Member # 3113

Which ones? The voices that sound like Tiny Tim (red hair wierd type) or the ones that sound like my 3rd grade biology teacher?
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

lol Yes!
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome all.

I went to the sight and saw them but I'm still not sure what a Pasty is. In Texas a 'pasty' is the thing strippers have to paste over a nipple in some jurisdictions to keep from being completely nude. I'm ashamed to say I don't know if they are edible. I've been married a long time. [Frown]

Don't listen to the voices. [Wink]

KE

DaveS
unregistered

It's pass-tee, kind of a meat (or vegetable) pie that you pick up and eat. Also good to stuff in your pockets to keep warm when you're out shoveling snow off the roof.
HockeyMonkey123
Member # 3234

KE - I believe you're referring to the 'Pastie' - long 'a'. The Pasty is as DaveS described. Its origins are unclear - but the story goes that they were originally a portable hot meal for mine workers and such. They're made up - typically - of leftovers from a pot roast dinner wrapped in a pie crust and baked. They can be frozen before baking, baked then frozen, etc. Quite clever, really - and delicious! It's not solely a 'U.P.' product - but - most folks I've described them to around the country have never heard of them - even by another name!

[ December 12, 2006, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: HockeyMonkey123 ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks guys. I'd never heard of them. They sound like a better versions of the Hot Pockets my kids love.

KE

Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 45, married for 22 years to a lovely woman. We have homeschooled our three children (home births for the last two), we attend religious services on a weekly basis, and I work in the aerospace industry. If that paints one picture in your mind, add to it that in high school we took our principal to State Supreme Court with the ACLU when he censored a play we were putting on, my nickname on the football team was "radical", I went to Swarthmore College which is considered left-wing and then to grad school in public policy at the Kennedy School.

For many years I drove a Toyota with 180,000+ miles on it and the bumper sticker "Question Question Authority". I have worked for 21 years in aerospace jobs that generally have required engineering or science degrees, neither of which I have (shows that you can homeschool at any point). Actually, I started working at NASA almost by accident - I had a governmental internship that made me eligible for jobs at about 50 different agencies, and I had interviews in Washington DC on a Tuesday and Thursday for jobs in economic areas I had trained for (Treasury, Office of Management and Budget). I decided to do some practice interviews on the Wednesday. I looked in the book at all the different agencies, trying to find something that Ronald Reagan liked that I also liked. When I flipped the book open to NASA, I remembered all of the science fiction I had read, and so I set up some interviews there. So much for career planning.

Perhaps the biggest thing shaping my life was being diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease just before I turned 14. By good fortune that was 1975, because the mortality rate was 80% in 1970 but had been reduced to 20% by '75. So thanks to all you older taxpayers who paid for the research that has kept me alive. Life since then has been a gift, both the joys and the traumas.

For all of you out there who are Christians, Merry Christmas. Being Jewish, tonight is mostly just a Sunday night with no work tomorrow (which explains all this time posting). I've only been registered for a few days, but it has been fun.

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
800. Wow.
(Oh, and here's Greg Davidson's post since I rudely turned the page.)

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page