Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 22)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
gruevy
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to be the first to say welcome!

You are wrong.

(standard greeting)

Posts: 256 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koalaborg
Member # 4407

- posted      Profile for Koalaborg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I am Koalaborg and I just came across this site, as I am a fan of OSC.

To sum up my introduction, I am a 29 year old mother, christian, science nerd, and conspiracy theorist. Okay, maybe not so much on that last one, but since I don't buy into what the media is trying to sell, it feels that way sometimes. [Razz]

I'm currently finishing up my graduate research in Florida. My favorite authors are OSC (of course), CJ Cherryh, and Dan Simmons, though I am making an effort to read more classics. I am currently working my way through H.G. Wells. I enjoy discussions on most anything of substance so I am really looking forward to being active on this forum.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to you both.

Echo, If you read the basics of the forum you'll see that we don't care about your high fallutin education! [Wink] Really we could use some new young poeple. Our current young people have all grown up.

Koalaborg, I'm glad that it was just my failing eye sight and that on second look there WAS a comma between Christian and Science in your post. [Smile]

Look forward to hearing from you both. Don't be shy.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

If you like Wells, you might also like Olaf Stapledon.
garlicguy
Member # 4784

- posted      Profile for garlicguy   Email garlicguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy from Montana. I finally decided to de-lurk for a bit and introduce myself. 57 year-old male.

I like the respectfulness of this site.

I don't mind being wrong, but ad hominem attacks make me crazy.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Well, given your handle, maybe you shouldn't stand too close [Smile] . That's not an ad hominem attack, it's ad Allium. I figured I'd throw it in, since you already know that You're Wrong. So, what's the connection of garlic to guy?
garlicguy
Member # 4784

- posted      Profile for garlicguy   Email garlicguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please see web page listed in my profile.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, garlicguy. I might have to try that stuff.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey garlicguy, how are things over at geekculture? I mostly just lurk over there, though I think I signed up for the sauce giveaway back in June. I have no idea who one though. Anyways I think that you will like Ornery.

[ July 04, 2007, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Dave at Work ]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew_Wight
Member # 4739

- posted      Profile for Drew_Wight   Email Drew_Wight       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I better introduce myself, since I have already been involved in some debates- whether for good or evil is up to the reader. : )

My name is Andrew Wight and, believe it or not, I have been called "Ender" most of my life. My mother is an avid fan of OSC and gave me the nickname at a rather young age.

At most other forums, I am signed as "Ender" but it seemed a bit awkward here -so- I went by Drew- which I much prefer over Andrew.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garlicguy
Member # 4784

quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Work:
Hey garlicguy, how are things over at geekculture?

In a word, weird.

I mostly just lurk over there, though I think I signed up for the sauce giveaway back in June. I have no idea who won though.

Well, if you are David Rogers at GC, you did win and I have been waiting to receive an email with your mailing address and choice of original or spicy.

Anyways I think that you will like Ornery.

I hope you're right (or is that wrong?) [Big Grin]

I may have to offer up some freebies around here as well.

DaveS
unregistered

Can't hurt. You might not seem so wrong in our eyes if you do [Smile] . Your web site looks awesome, I got to get me some.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Salvatore's trilogy had some important things to say. That an individual is not merely a product of his/her enviroment or society. How prejudice cannot always be overcome, that there will always be those who will judge us by things that do not matter. How individuals can change.

Salvatore had to work with a brain-dead genre and a brain-dead universe.

The thing is, other people have said these same things better. And Salvatore didn't have to work with a brain-dead genre; he chose to work with a brain-dead genre.

What you're saying is that he managed to address a topic that other people have addressed with more grace and depth, in a genre -- D&D generic fantasy fiction -- that isn't known for any grace or depth at all. He's one of the best swimmers in the inflatable kiddie pool.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your opinion Tom.

There are a lot of Professors of literature across America who would dismiss OSC's work because he chose the genre of science fiction. At most colleges and Universities in America science fiction is seen as the easiest of pulp consumer letter smithing. Or as you so neatly put it for a fantasy fiction writer comparatively- OSC just happens to be one of the best swimmers in the SciFi inflatable kiddie pool.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, i can't believe I went to the trouble of finding the post that Tom was responding to, but I wanted to figure out what work of Salvatore was being discussed...

So what did I find? Tom responding to a post from SIX YEARS AGO!

Which is perfectly fine, just surprising.

Or did Ornery get these posts out of order somehow?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah you are just getting old , and your time here has been so long you are becoming just like the rest of us and forgetting snipits of conversations and arguments.

Like alot of stuff on Ornery, the longer you hang out here the more you know you already said something even if you can't find it.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Busillis
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for Busillis   Email Busillis       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

I've lurked for a while, recently decided to get an account.

I'm a college student in Chicago.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, you are wrong. (Traditional Ornery welcome.)

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threads
Member # 5091

- posted      Profile for threads   Email threads   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

I'm 17 and live in New Jersey. I found this site while browsing the web for stuff on OSC (one of my favorite authors) and decided to sign up. Besides reading and using the computer, I like to exercise and railfan (watch trains).

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeLaMancha
Member # 5237

- posted      Profile for DeLaMancha   Email DeLaMancha       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

I am new to the site. I am 27, from Texas, have a degree in finance (though I hate finance), am married with two young children, yadayadayada. Anyway, I used to post in a similar forum, but it seems hardly anyone posts there anymore. It's hard to get any good discussion there, unlike it seems to be the case here.

I am a AAA baseball player, hoping to be in the big leagues next year, so I don't get to do this much during the season. Now that the season is over, I have a lot more time to waste in front of my computer! I hope to learn from your different perspectives.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC fans do gather here, threads. And you sound a bit more successful than Don Quixote, DeLaMancha. AAA ball is thoroughly professional, even if you are hoping for the big leagues. You are both wrong, of course. (Traditional Ornery greeting.) But so are the rest of us, far more often than we should like...
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started posting a couple of days ago so I figured I would pass on a little information about myself.

I am 40 something. I have three daughters the oldest one recently married.

I work with robotics and have broad and varied interests.

I attended a small Christian college in Virginia and have degrees in Biology and Medical technology.

I am neither Liberal or Conservative or am both Liberal and Conservative. It all depends on the subject matter and perspective.

I consider myself a progressive Christian.

I am frequently wrong but am always open to hear what is right.

Regards

Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bombasto
Member # 5217

- posted      Profile for bombasto   Email bombasto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been posting here for a couple weeks. I'm almost always wrong (just ask wife or kids) so I feel like I am at home here. Like Mynnion, I'm also 40 something and in Virginia but I have 5 kids -- which makes me tend to be (big surprise) conservative. I spent 10 years in US Army enlisted and have worked for the last 12 years as a contractor supporting same. I like the conversation here because, even though many seem to be far left of my decidedly wrong-headed positions, I appreciate the intelligent dialog. Oh, I came here because of OSC but obviously he's not here. I only wanted to post the occasional reply to his essays but I keep getting drawn into other topics here and, that's a good thing (until family decides I should rejoin the real world).
Posts: 74 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to you all.

DeLaMancha, I'm in Houston. What part of Texas are you in? You're not at Round Rock are you?

KE

[ September 30, 2007, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Redskullvw
Member # 188

Oh come on no one new has joined lately?
scouser1
unregistered

Ya know what, I dont even think i posted on this when i started, oops!! [DOH]

[ October 13, 2007, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: scouser1 ]

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me neither.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeLaMancha
Member # 5237

- posted      Profile for DeLaMancha   Email DeLaMancha       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, I live in Frisco, but I just bought a house in Arlington. I grew up in Houston, more specifically, Pasadena. I went to school at Strake Jesuit in Sharpstown. My family still lives in Houston, and all my friends from school of course. We go back about 3 or 4 times a year, but I'm glad to not be living there anymore. Sorry!
Posts: 94 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I grew up in Pasadena over in those apartments on Richey and 225, (my dad was a cop in Pasadena for 25 years) and went to Pasadena High. My wife Stacy grew up on the berry streets and went to Sam Rayburn. I graduated in 86, how about you?

We have been in League City for almost twenty years now our oldest is 18 and senior at Clear Creek. We have a house on the water in Tuscan Lakes. I sitll miss the smell of the plants, but not the cancer. [Wink]

KE

DeLaMancha
Member # 5237

I know you're kidding about the smell! I graduated in '98. We grew up in the ShadowLawn subdivision at Richey and Southmore. I went to St. Pius V on Shaver grade school and Queens Intermediate. My sister went to Clear Creek. Small world!
Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, my dad graduated from Pasadena High and PCC. But that was in '68, not '86. But still, it's always interesting to see that it's a small world. Of course, my dad also went to school in about 10 cities across 6 states, so I constantly find people that live where he's lived.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Clark,

They just a couple of years ago finally rebuilt the school, even though it was considered one of the nicest looking school in the state, so we probably actually shared some of the same actual classrooms. Like you said. Small world.

Sad to say; nowadays they have police-gang-task forces in the school daily. [Frown]

In my day, and probably your dad's, if you had a fight for me, fist-a-cuffs for your dad, you had beers with that guy that night. Nowadays they shoot each other. There is no honor in our schools anymore.

KE

[ November 07, 2007, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

TheSteelenGeneral
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for TheSteelenGeneral   Email TheSteelenGeneral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I hope to have fruitful discussions here.

I too, would like to say I Am Wrong, but my heart wouldn't be in it.

Yet, my head tells me that I am wrong, from time to time, except when I'm right of course [Smile]

My interests are:
Global warming and the green house effect
us politics, but more the 2008 elections
US crime laws against the under 18s.

Yes, I am a leftwinger, "a dangerous liberal" in the tradition of Roosevelt, Kennedy, Carter, and the Clintons.

Posts: 1486 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talltwin
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Talltwin   Email Talltwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try this again, only without the incriminating names.

I am a 44 year old male living in Dayton, Ohio. I have been married for 15 years. I have two kids (one still living at home).

I am an analyst/loan closer for a regional commercial mortgage banking firm. I am well compensated for a job that I am over qualified for.

My wife and I own an 86 unit apartment complex in town and that keeps our free time busy.

I am genetically identical to msquared. Having known msquared since conception, I already know that I am wrong.

I am not OrneryMod.

Edidted to correct spelling. Grrrr.

[ November 13, 2007, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Talltwin ]

Posts: 234 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so can we call to T-squared? [Razz]
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talltwin
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Talltwin   Email Talltwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had not thought of that. Of course, according to msquared, I have not thought about a whole lot since I first imbibed alcohol in college.

I need to see if I need to get approval for a similar nickname.

Talltwin

Posts: 234 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My original plan was to use him as a body bank. But after seeing what he has done to his body, I think I need to come up with a new plan.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erik the awful
Member # 2347

- posted      Profile for erik the awful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've lurked here on and off for a couple of years; Javelin pointed out these forums to me. Jav and I are friends.

I'm 35. Married 12 years, with a 4 year old and a 3 week old. I'm really tired.

I work with computers and networks; I break stuff and tell stories about how it broke. We call that "Quality Assurance." I'm likely to have geeky humor. When I have free time I brew stout beer and red wine. I was raised seventh day adventist, converted to "non-denominational" Christianity somewhere right after high school, and gave up on Christianity entirely about 2 years ago.

I've decided to start posting in an attempt to improve my writing and critical thinking abilities.

You are all wrong [Smile]

Editied to add: I consider my self socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

[ November 15, 2007, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: erik the awful ]

Posts: 236 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, erik! You've posted before; I remember. You're still wrong, except when I agree with you, of course. [Big Grin]

I recognize that tiredness. It gets a bit better when they're 4 and 8, but then they're talking to (arguing with) you.

Tell jav hi, and that he's missed. [Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SteelenGeneral -
quote:
Yes, I am a leftwinger
quote:
Yet, my head tells me that I am wrong, from time to time, except when I'm right of course
The more right you get, the less wrong you are. [Wink]

[ November 15, 2007, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page