Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 25)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Scientologists and Mormons got a bit mixed up in your head there, KE.

It's best to watch those two south parks a few weeks apart, not back to back [Smile]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we share financial advisors.
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I just figured KE was referring to spirits from the spirit world inhabiting our bodies. Not how Mormons describe it, but not that far off either.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Jim, I live in El Cajon, CA. (15 miles east of San Diego (and a whole different world from the LA/SF left coast image). HR/Safety coordinator for a construction defect consulting firm. (I used to be their accounting manager). I'm planning on getting married in October to my partner of 20 years. I think I know Jordan from another forum (related to our mutual interest in MINIs). I look around me and I try to be thoughtful, but sometimes I'm barely managing to keep my temper at a simmer. I'm right handed, but I lean to the left. I hung out here for a bit a while back, then went on to other things.

(Parenthetically, I'm wondering if I'll fit in around here this time around. [Wink] )

[ June 10, 2008, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: jimskater ]

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're no doubt Wrong, especially if you don't talk to us. If you do, You're still Wrong, but you'll get used to it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The base assumption is thus that I'm Wrong.

Am I Wrong?

Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Either way, officially. Knowing that will encourage you to try to be right. The first time someone told me I was Wrong I cried for a week, but I got over it in a flash. You'll adjust. You should also know that You are Welcome (that, however, is unofficial).
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, Jim. I will wrongly tell you, Welcome!
Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

So if this were a movie, it would be "To Wrong Fu, Thanks for Nothing, Yma Sumac"?

Greetings to you both. [Wink]

wogtheowl
Member # 6133

- posted      Profile for wogtheowl   Email wogtheowl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I discovered this site looking for new OSC books. I've been lurking here for a little while, and enjoy the discussions, though I don't get much free time. Going to school in architecture, transfering soon to U of O....
I have a fairly new interest in politics, got hooked on Glen Beck and relized this was not only interesting but extremly important and I should be paying attention. I look forward to displaying my ignorance, and learning.
-Wog

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Wog,

that is totally wrong!

(that's just the welcome). When you get really comfortable, you can be hideously wrong, as I sometimes am.

what is the U of "O" 0 = ?

wogtheowl
Member # 6133

- posted      Profile for wogtheowl   Email wogtheowl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(sorry) University of Oregon, and currently comming from the the frozen wasteland that is Eastern Idaho,(especially this year. dang global warming) I can't wait.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

well, double howdy to you, I'm in Portland.
Mark Alexander
Member # 6112

- posted      Profile for Mark Alexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings all!

I'm 52, living and working in Silicon Valley in the semiconductor industry in management development. I travel often to Asia, and sometimes Europe.

B.A. in English, graduate work in Classical Rhetoric but no degree since I was offered a teaching job in a business college that offered a way out of a swamp of political correctness.

Have programmed computers, written magazine articles, both freelance and trade pubs, taught legal writing, facilitated motivational programs, delivered workshops on the spiritual power of music and the ecstatic poetry of Rumi, and done a lot of standup training in problem solving and decision making, presentation skills, employee development, and many more.

One unpublished and unpublishable novel, but posted as a blog novel. (Idiosyncratic private-eye mysteries shouldn't end in a cliff-hanger, even if it's the first in a trilogy.) My wife and I have a video and event production company, having done product launches for Apple Computer, Oracle, and all kinds of stuff for numerous other companies.

I play piano, having performed and recorded. I'm clergy in my non-Christian religion.

I'm a contributing editor for the heretical but scholarly peer-reviewed Shakespeare journal, The Oxfordian. I also authored "Shakespeare Knowledge of Law: A Journey through the History of the Arguments," cited by major law journals.

I just took my wife to Vienna over Christmas and New Year's for our 10th anniversary. Vienna State Opera (Mozart and Rossini) and dancing the Viennese Waltz at the Hofburg Palace on New Year's Eve for their annual Kaiserball. Next year, 3 weeks in Italy.

Glad to see that Ornery exists. I'll take more time reading through this forum before sticking my neck out much further. Cheers.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Mark.

Since you just got here, be aware there's not USUALLY so much discussion of masturbation. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Holy hell, Mark. Do we know each other?
Mark Alexander
Member # 6112

- posted      Profile for Mark Alexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munga:
Holy hell, Mark. Do we know each other?

I think I would have remembered knowing someone named "munga."

Seems like I remember a Mogumba...or was that just a bad joke?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Nope. I called the MA I know, and you aren't him! I thought it was strange to come in without an alias (real name) but a fictious background - the MA I know is is energy and oil (but silicon valley could have been a pseudohobby to conceal that). It was weird.

anyway.... forget, me. welcome, you.

I'll be the first to say..... I AM wrong. [Razz]

wogtheowl
Member # 6133

Portland huh munga? Guess we'll be neighbors.
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to all the new people. You all seem to fit in.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
I'm a contributing editor for the heretical but scholarly peer-reviewed Shakespeare journal, The Oxfordian. I also authored "Shakespeare Knowledge of Law: A Journey through the History of the Arguments," cited by major law journals.
So, who did write them? This isn't the forum where you will got lots of slings and arrows for this particular topic, but we do like to agreeably disagree. My college professor solved the mystery with the even more magical argument that if he didn't write them, somebody else with the same name did.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name of the journal's a bit of a giveaway....
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Umm, I read the journal article he cited, which talks about Bacon, who is mentioned much more often than the Earl.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still squarely in the "non-Stratfordian" camp. [Smile]
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

The best part of the whole controversy is that I am blissfully unaware of it 99.999% of the time, like right after I hit the "Add Reply" button, so...
Funean
Member # 2345

It makes internet geek wars over things like Star Wars oevre seem like tiddlywinks, is what I gather. Sometimes it's even popcorn-worthy!
munga
Member # 6006

WOG

Yes, I love Portland. I'm actually in Troutdale.

I've lived in Utah, Ohio, CA, and MN for extended periods and visited others and I have never found a more lovely place to live!

[ July 02, 2008, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I SO want to live in the Portland area...

Portland

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Fun, fighting over the secret identity of the greatest literary genius in the history of mankind beats figuring out who the Sith are any day of the week, second only to figuring out if Jesus had wives and kids. The arguments for the various candidates are always convincing, partly because they're written by English Majors, who have a natural vested interest in being persuasive [Smile] . But in the end, discovering Shakespeare's real identity is just another literary genre. Somebody did it, and even if Bacon, Oxford and all of the other proposed people conspired together, not a word of what "he" wrote changes. Depending on how MA responds, popcorn might be in order.
Finvarra
Member # 2786

- posted      Profile for Finvarra   Email Finvarra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all.

Having limited my scattered posts to only the most critical issues over the past few years (legalizing weed and cell phone ettiquette) I have decided to end my lurking days. I can't promise I'll post that often during the summer but I hope to become something of a regular within this little political family.

(I used the word family on purpose because I feel a bit like a stalker about to tell a family "hey you don't know me but I'm practically on first name basis with your kids, having eavesdropped on you all for a couple years") With that in mind I'll say a few things about who I am.

I'm 20 years old and I attend NYU. I'm a real live walking and talking friend of Paladine. Before all the liberals cringe...our friendship is not based on similar political or religious ideologies. I am an atheist, and in general I am pretty liberal. I don't however support a liberal interpretation of the constitution. (I am pro-choice but I think roe v wade should be overturned.)

Like most people here, I loved the Card books and have reread the Ender books more times than I care to admit. Like many people here, I am regularly disappointed by his essays.

I feel like I should give some sort of an opinion so the usual ornery greeting makes sense... so with that in mind..

I am not the smartest person in the world.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanRunner
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for OceanRunner   Email OceanRunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Fin... welcome.

NYU, huh? That must be a neat experience. Are you from NY originally or is college your only NYC-living experience?

Posts: 740 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finvarra
Member # 2786

- posted      Profile for Finvarra   Email Finvarra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from North Jersey (and am currently living there during the summer) so I have always gone in often enough, but yea, living in the city is great.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Great intro. Welcome, Fin, apparently you are wrong.

KE

Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fearadh na fáilte, bráthair.

And of course you're wrong.

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finvarra
Member # 2786

Thank you, KE and Pal
Allen
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Allen   Email Allen       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Born, reared, educated, employed and retired right here in Raleigh, NC. So, I don't get around much.

Married a Long Island girl 29 years ago and we have 2 son, both grown up and moved out. I will proclaim success there.

Born and baptized a Southern Baptist, I rejected that and was baptized a member of Herbert W. Armstrong's "cult", the World Wide Church of God. That has now split widely on doctrine and practice and our local church is now operated very similarly to Methodist doctrine, though that is a weak characterization. This has given me a chance to ponder organized Religion and the effects it has on us.

Born a Democrat, I voted for Shirley Chisolm in my first primary. I voted mostly Republican in 1972 and stopped voting in 1974, until 1994, where my Republican side still controlled. The ultimate result of the 1994 vote convinced me that there is some kind of radiation inside the Beltway that affects everyone and everything that spends time there; so I am mostly libertarian in thought now.

I accept Science as having to reject "revelation" from a Divine Being in order to be objective...so far so good. I think true Science is based on established, provable, testable facts, thoroughly reviewed, and always challengable. I accept Science as a means for learning how the Creator did the Creation. I do not feel I have to keep God out of my thoughts just because IT does not belong in the lab. I feel that "God does not exist" is a statement of true religious fervor.

I like fast cars.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSteelenGeneral
Member # 5530

- posted      Profile for TheSteelenGeneral   Email TheSteelenGeneral   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Ornery, Allen. And you're wrong. ^-^

A libertarian? Read any Heinlein?

Seeing your last statement about religion, I invite to the discussion on:
http://www.ornery.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=011809;p=12&r=nfx#000456

We'll be on opposite sides, I guess? [Smile]

[ August 02, 2008, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: TheSteelenGeneral ]

Posts: 1486 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allen
Member # 6160

- posted      Profile for Allen   Email Allen       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Heinlein fan from the early 60's, starting with Starship and moving to Green Hills of Earth.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo Fin, what's my hometown like these days? Any relief in rent?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just to knock the introductions thread over the 1000 post mark [Smile] and say hi everyone! Still pretty much same situation as last time I posted on this thread, except a bit older, etc.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page