Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
T:man
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am T, please refer to me as T.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we will somehow try to remember

welcome in (I think?)

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, Scifi-
I played "organized" baseball from age 6-16. Never tried out for my high school team, because
a) The coach was known for playing favorites. He liked "jocks," and hated "nerds," even if the nerd was a demonstrably better player then the jock. Ask linuxfreakus about his joys watching from the bench.
b) I knew I was on the **** list of the coach, after I showed him up in front of a lot of the kids at his summer camp (bringing in TEd William's book on hitting to counter something the coach says is FUN, but not with a guy who carries a grudge).

I was never GREAT. I had a couple successful seasons pitching at various levels, and played some summer ball and did ok on the traveling teams I played with, never hitting much, but getting on base, scoring runs, and pitching occassionally.

But baseball is still my biggest passion. It can be enjoyed on so many different levels. Its both simple, and remarkably complex. Unlike most team sports, its a series of one on one battles, with very little actual team play... except that the team play demands everyone know exactly what to do in relation to their teammates in hundreds of situations. Its a numbers game, and a game of reflexes and quickness and power. Baseball is both the easiest game to play, and the hardest. All it requires is swinging a bat, and throwing a ball... but to do these WELL, these are the hardest tasks in sport. Baseball is both a game of raw data, facts, and numbers, and the same time is a game of imagination. Its a game that doesn't require any remarkable physical attributes or abilities, unlike football where most players are huge, basketball where they tower over us, or hockey on ice skates. Its the great leveler... dustin pedroia, who MIGHT be 5'9 and MIGHT be 170 lbs, but is probably 5'5 and 150, had a near MVP campaign. Ryan howard is a giant of a man, and wouldn't look out of place on a football field... and he had a near MVP campaign. Smarts counts for a lot in baseball, and at the same time its all about physical ability. You can be curt schilling or jason varitek, who study hours each day, and chart every pitch thrown in every game, or you can be nomar garciappara and rely almost entirely on ritual and reflexes. There are dozens of seeming contradictions within baseball.

Most importantly, though, baseball is about the crack of the bat, the twhack of the leather, and the fantasy's they inspire. Baseball is a field of dreams.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PegLeg
Member # 5172

- posted      Profile for PegLeg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Welcome, and welcome back everybody.

PegLeg, what part of the country are you in?

KE

Sorry I missed this!

Idaho

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I'm T:man I'm a high school honor student, not tellin' no one my age. [Razz]

I'm livin' in a suburb of Chicago.

I will hopefully go to college (some day)

I like picking fights.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to pick fights here, your strength better be with your ability to make good arguments and you better have good facts on your side. Otherwise, you might not be able to buy a fight.

First thing you have to do is get used to the mantra here, "You're Wrong!" We say that to everybody when they join so that they know that if they want to talk to us, tell us like it is, wise us up, then it comes right back at ya. We call ourselves "Ornery" folks, but I've heard that the word originally meant "ordinary" around here. We are that, too.

Lastly, welcome! It's great that you're an honor student. You may learn some things here, and you may teach us some things, too. That's a great indicator that you will fit in, so I (that is, we) hope you like it here!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T:man has some good posts. My experience suggests he is fifteen, but he should keep his secret... Welcome to Ornery.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6309

Haha, thanks hobsen that makes me feel smart...

Dave: I pick my fights carefully, you won't even know that it was me who had started it. [Wink]

GrokThis
Member # 6344

- posted      Profile for GrokThis   Email GrokThis       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings,

I am a male and come from european forebears. I have lived in a small town in Connecticut, USA for all my life.

I have a background in the electrical trade, a degree in Information Technology from Rochester Institute of Technology and now work for one of the ivy league universities doing classroom support and A/V for events.

I defy categorization in general but especially in politics, religion, and philosophy.

I love people, am a optimist with a cynical sense of humor and believe that beyond physical sustenance humans thrive on irony more than anything else.

I enjoy any kind of art that ties history, mythology, and psychology together with anecdote.

I tend to speak too generally in vacuous ideas. Don't let me get away with it.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you should be *quite* comfortable here, Grok.

You're still wrong, of course. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi GrokThis,

If you've noticed the board, it has suffered the loss of some stalwarts who apparently are committing Ornery Suicide after the election.... it seems they are unable to carry on in the exchange of ideas in a world that does not have "their" man on top as a safety-valve, which is kinda like saying they'll talk about construction permits on ground *they* own. I would liken today's new reality to talking about permits on land we *all* own, but they don't feel secure enough to trade ideas anymore.

Truth to tell, I'm going to miss them. I hope their Ornery suicide is the only one.

But lucky for you, we've got some openings for techno-philosophy wonks. I'm in and out but my baliwick is finance/renewable energy/advanced technologies. We might overlap interests sometimes.

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 6346

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually just start posting away, but this board seems a little...different. So I extend some courtesy (very little--I'm actually quite rude) in introducing myself.

My name is Rich, but I have low self-esteem so I just go with little 'r' Rich. That and it's just a little quicker to type.

I'm a violent pacifist, 41 years old, just recently separated so if any of you want to pretend you're someone you're not--like Scarlet Johansson or Helen Mirren--go ahead. I'm a gullible guy. Just don't ask for my checking account number 'cause I already gave that out to the Prince from Nigeria who's going to be depositing funds into my account. He said he needed the help.

I came to the OSC boards as a result of my getting into his boot camp thingie. I'm about 180 degrees from OSC's views/opinions, and, generally speaking, a bit of a contrarian anyway. I was a little surprised at the variety of opinions on this site so...being recently separated, laid off, and not having the kids this week, I thought: What the hell?

So here I am. Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours. Well, not YOU, but the other one. In the corner.

Anyway...hola.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to have you here, rich. Since low self-esteem is reported to be common among the recently separated, let me hope that your life improves and your self-esteem with it.

OSC has been nice enough to support two forums largely populated by people who disagree with him, especially during this election. He has said that he regards the forums as an extension of his living room, and that unruly guests will be ejected. Otherwise difference of opinion is encouraged. He is said to be a very nice guy in person, as you probably know; and everyone seems to be praising his latest column entitled This Very Good Election Year.

Welcome to Ornery. You are wrong!

That is the traditional greeting, reminding us that we are all wrong more than we should like.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome, rich. I tried getting into the boot camp thingie one year and was put on the waiting list in case one of the actual recruits dropped out. I'll try again some day. Maybe next year. How'd you like it?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Welcome rich,

Unlike hobson, I think OSC has recently been a force for oppression, as he supplies apologetics for that legislation which results in unequal protection under the law. He is using his prodigious skills in writing to assist in that crime, and has "hosted" the blogs in an effort to also help his ideas go viral. I wouldn't pin such a trend as a crime on a body if OSC hadn't multiple times displayed complete understanding of the concepts he is violating.

But of course, I could be wrong.

In any case, I think a blog-host is not half the trouble that moderating is, and our moderators seem to be fairly good chaps.

rich
Member # 6346

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

The boot camp was good. Overall it was a good experience though for every three spot-on comments OSC made there was one off the wall comment made. Still pretty good ratio, I guess. I usually run about 3 to 1 the other way.

My experience with OSC is he's a nice guy, one that I learned some stuff about writing from, but my sentiments about OSC on anything other than writing tend to run more towards munga's.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirManiac
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SirManiac   Email SirManiac       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, my screen name is SirManiac. I have used this screen name for 12 years so it's kind of grown on me, even if it can be interpreted negatively.

The 'Sir' is primarily because I have always had a strong sense of chivalry. 'Maniac' because of the manic interest I take in all things Computer.

I have visited this site from time to time, being both a fan of OSC, and a bit 'ornery' in my political views. Thought I'd get registered so I could participate in the conversations.

I am a conservative, and generally won't argue unless I have something to back my argument.

Although I am not quick to change my opinions or points of view, I do look forward to being proven wrong, where I am actually wrong.

I don't change my opinion because someone else can out-argue me, I actually expect facts and evidence. It's clear enough there are some arguments that we lack the means to prove or disprove. For those arguments, anything more then saying our opinion is a waste of time and good-will.

I hope that my arguments will lend to the conversations, bit I can't give any guarantees. [Smile]

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

SirManiac, welcome to Ornery. You are wrong.

Frankly, I think this forum is short of conservatives. And now that the right wing is out of power, it will probably be doing the better thinking, while the left is engaged in governing. So we need to hear about that.

munga
Member # 6006

Welcome SirManiac.

I was raised conservative and have been bloodied into becoming a liberal.

Does that... mean..... I was wrong.... or am wrong? How do I manage to be "right" the whole time, I wonder?

SirManiac
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SirManiac   Email SirManiac       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munga:
Welcome SirManiac.

I was raised conservative and have been bloodied into becoming a liberal.

Does that... mean..... I was wrong.... or am wrong? How do I manage to be "right" the whole time, I wonder?

I think that I can respect any rational, thinking person as having a right(as in freedom), to develop their own opinion of what is right(as in correct) through reasonable means. And that, because I am probably at least partially wrong on 90%(or probably more) of what I think and say, and most people are similarly handicapped(to an unpredictable variation of degree, though never 0% wrong), I choose to accept that my opinion of what is right will be different from what anyone else's opinion of what is right. And that the differences can come in handy, the moment I decide I was wrong about my opinion(or even partially wrong).

So I respect that you are liberal, and expect the same respect, for the same reason I respect you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirManiac
Member # 6092

munga:

I just re-read you post, and realized I completely mis-understood. I have heard there is the "right" each of us sees, and some absolute "right"(if you will, God's right).

I mean our individual version of right. So you were right both when you were raised, and now, if you think from that point of view. I respect people that do what they believe, even if it doesn't fit in my "right." And I can't think of a way to justly fault someone when they are doing what they believe.

munga
Member # 6006

SirManiac,

On misreading, no problem. I was being a little silly just for fun.

That said, you have hit on an interesting idea for me. You say that you do not fault those who do wrong, believing that they were right. I think God is of the same mindset. That's why He says that where much is given, much is expected. The corollary to that is that where nothing is given, nothing (in terms of obedience) is expected. I think that's an important concept that I would like Christians to .. uh.. grow up about. GOD isn't going to judge anyone who doesn't believe, so why are the Christians? They might say, "well you, sinners, should have repented when we told you about God" and I can only say, with such representation God has all the more reason to acquit the unbeliever. I think there is nothing quite like complete freedom on this earth, and kind and patient invitation to experiment upon God's words, to bring a person to a state of belief. Next, I believe that God himself loves every child and will provide more opportunities even after death, to accept the savior. Fact is.... I think God really really loves us.

[ November 09, 2008, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: munga ]

Pinochio
Member # 6367

- posted      Profile for Pinochio         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I'm new here. An OSC fan and a fiscal conservative. I heard Rush mention OSC a few weeks ago and I couldnt figure out if it was the author. I didnt know he wrote for the newspapers. Searched around for a bit and ended up here.

My background is in viticulture and oenology and I look forward to some discussions. Does OSC ever post here?

Posts: 111 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Not to our knowledge.

Welcome Pinochio. As a fiscal progressive, let me be the first to tell you that you are WRONG!

(standard ornery greeting)

hobsen
Member # 2923

OSC probably has read or posted here, and more commonly on his other forum at www.hatrack.com. But he usually has too much to do to pay attention to the two forums he very kindly maintains. He has said they are extensions of his living room, and guests are welcome so long as they remain civil. Our worthy moderators enforce the latter as needed, with personal attacks often involving speculation about the motives of other participants being the most common offense. Several members got banned until the election was over, as tempers were running high for a while.

Anyway, welcome to Ornery, Pinochio. May your nose grow ever longer. And YOU ARE WRONG!!! That is the traditional greeting given to all new members, as we all make mistakes now and then.

Pinochio
Member # 6367

- posted      Profile for Pinochio         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair enough. I'm always happy to find people who are capable of telling me that I'm wrong - as long as their opinion doesn't exceed their knowledge base.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Pinochio. I happen to live in one of Israel's wine-making regions, with two commercially successful, very decent wineries in the next town over (none of the really fine boutique wines around here. My favorite Israeli boutique wine is Chateau Golan, where my mother-in-law works and comps us occasionally. It's the wine I save for those who stay the latest at my cookouts. Velvet in liquid form.

A friend from a former job is married to a vintner at Binyamina Winery (one of the two near me), which all of us think is way cool. [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sefer
Member # 6366

- posted      Profile for Sefer   Email Sefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been lurking here off and on for a number of years; this is the place I've come when I've wanted to see some intelligent discussion on political issues, and I've generally come away more informed than I started. Thanks to everyone who's been providing my that service for free all these years [Smile]
I've generally been content with not posting myself, but something from a thread caught my eye. By the time the... lengthy... registration process (don't worry, OrneryMod, I forgive you) the thread moved on, but I thought I should introduce myself in case I decide to become more involved.

I'm from California and have lived in various parts of Southern California my whole life. I'm a software developer and data analyst and use both talents working at a company I own a small piece of.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Sefer,

The exact same thing happened to me. I registered full of fight and righteousness, but just got to cool my heels for a few days.

But I bounced back. [Big Grin] ]

I can't see any point upon which I can pronounce you properly WRONG, per the Ornery Greeting, without disputing your identity (like I know better, duh) and so.... let me just extend the welcome!

Sefer
Member # 6366

- posted      Profile for Sefer   Email Sefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm sure I'm wrong about something. You can extend a proper Ornery welcome without offending [Smile]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

ok.....

YER WRONG, BABY!!!!!!!!!

munga
Member # 6006

(*now experiencing the blessings of being welcoming)

[ November 21, 2008, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Gina
Member # 6372

- posted      Profile for Gina   Email Gina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I am a new user, recently linked over from Hatrack River after succumbing this year to a severe addiction to OSC's books.

I am 36, a political conservative, originally from "bitter clinger" country but now living in Silicon Valley (isn't online romance grand). We are Orthodox Christians.

I appreciate the premise of the "ordinary American," because growing up on a dairy farm in a pretty rugged area of Pennsylvania, I took a lot of things for granted which I later had to re-learn in terms of an urban, pluralistic world. I learned that what we called walking on the hill behind the house, the rest of the world calls "hiking." I learned that some people even buy machines, or buy access to such machines, in order to approximate real work. That's called "working out." And similarly in the realm of discourse, I learned that the plain common sense that I took for granted had to be dissected, analyzed, repackaged and defended in order to be digestible to others. Sometimes what remains even resembles the source whence it came. Hopefully I can achieve that in discussion here.

Posts: 476 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

You are wrong, Gina, as noted in the two posts above. Otherwise another conservative will be more than welcome. And you will not be the only Orthodox member, as I am sure there is at least one other.

Having once bicycled from Boston to Pittsburgh and back, I have vivid memories of those Pennsylvania hills. Whenever I topped a ridge between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, I would see another a little way ahead; and they seemed to go on forever. It was like riding across a washboard. And speaking of washboards, of which you may not have heard, I consider washing machines a recent invention. But I hope you did not have to hand milk all those cows.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viking Longship is Orthodox Christian, and practicing it in style in Russia [Smile] (He's American, married a Russian woman).
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cb
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for cb   Email cb       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is CB. I'm afraid I've been remiss in my responsibility to courtesy as I’ve already made my presence known on different threads before posting here. I'm afraid I got so eager to voice my opinions that I bypassed the customary introductions and welcome. I apologize right up front for being rude and, obviously, "WRONG".

As for introductions, I hail from the right (oh sorry, east) side of Washington State where I have felt disenfranchised as a voter for years since only 7 counties of the 39 in the state decide all our politics. I love WA and my valley, it is beautiful. I just wish we easters could get our voices heard.

As I have said in threads I’ve posted, I am an ultra conservative and came to that (a la munga) by first being bloodied as a liberal. I wasted the eight years of Regan’s historic presidency hating him…and then I became a middle-class working mom. I began to experience the sad state of our schools, I felt the painful burden of high property taxes and assundry other taxes.

I happened onto talk radio and found a liberal talk show from California called (if I’m remembering correctly) the Tom Liknes Show. The more I listened to his liberal POV's the more I realized I didn’t share them. Then I found Rush and, though I disagreed with much of what he said, it was a breath of fresh air compared to the nasty, belittling mouth of Tom Liknes.

The more I lived the life of the over-burdened middle class and the more I worked directly with the social service systems of our country (as a Foster Mom and as a contracted service provider), I found myself agreeing more and more with the ideas of Limbaugh and Schlessinger. It took several years (unfortunately not soon enough to keep me from voting for Clinton the first time around), but I finally saw the errors of my ways!(I know, I know...I'M WRONG!!).

I love OSC, have read anything and everything he has written and love his Ornery American posts. I used to disagree with him more often then agree, but he seems to be morphing away from liberalism as it is embodied today just as I did, so I find I agree with him more now.

I was amazed, when I first came on this forum, how virulently anti-OSC some of the posts were. It shocked me at first, and seemed a bit excessive for people who were enjoying his hospitality, but once again I do recognize that I was and probably will be “WRONG”. [Razz]

I am a service provider for Deaf/Deaf-blind clients of The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DSHS) and love, love, love ASL. Any other signers out there?? [Smile]

I am a political wonk and read anything and everything to do with politics.

And I am pleased as punch to be a member of Ornery as there ain't too many people more ornery than me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 347 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

Glad to have you here, CB. Your work sounds good for everybody.

You just took me back about 50 years to when my former roommate got a new roommate named Bill. From Pullman, WA, and we heard a lot about that area for a couple of years. Acres and acres of wheat. And totally unlike the eastern edge of the state.

cb
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for cb   Email cb       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hobsen! Yes, Washington is very diverse. The central part of Washington is semi-desert, we have mountains, ocean, and rain-forests. There isn't much offered across the nation that we don't have right here. I love this state!! Pullman is beautiful in its own way as well.
Posts: 347 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CB! Another signer here [Smile] Welcome! Though given the lack of graphics and video onsite, not likely to come up much. But feel free to tell me my ASL (as well as other opinions) is wrong! (1 from chin out, Y on chin, 1 point at you), translated for the other guys as REALLY WRONG YOU! or in English as "You're wrong" [Smile] Now you've got your official greeting on the introduction thread, in ASL!
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cb
Member # 6179

Why, thankya much for the welcome Ben!! Someday they will come up with a ways to write ASL that is not completely counterproductive (takes to long to read to make it worthwhile). I've been a wanna-be deafy for 23 years now. How did you come to ASL? Where do you hail from?
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page