Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 28)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, things are hectic right now or I'd've responded sooner. I currently live in southern Utah, though I grew up in the Salt Lake City area, spent some time out east, a year in Houston, and 8 years in the LA area when I went to USC. Hope that doesn't blow my cover... [Wink]

And I grew up signing, transitioning from signed english to ASL since of course my parents had some awkward adjustments and learning experiences, to figure out what was best for Deaf kids, and now also Deaf-in-laws. Luckily, they're very supportive and helped us keep in touch with other Deaf friends and activities, etc. when growing up so we got the ASL exposure and picked up on that well, not just what the school teaches. Not exactly bi-bi, but we came close with our overall experiences. The whole family signs, though the parents, plus oldest and youngest siblings tend to be englishy and out of practice now. Our family's been signing for about 28 years. No deafies in our second generation yet so far, but the kids and some hearing in-laws are picking up signs anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly G Willis
Member # 6383

- posted      Profile for Kelly G Willis   Email Kelly G Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I thought that I'd post this to make sure things are working. Anyway, I'm rather new to this forum but I've been reading Mr. Card's essays from the very beginning on this site. Probably like most participants, I'll agree with some of what he writes and disagree with other issues, but then that's the point of argument from where I stand. I don't know if I'll be heavily involved in conversations here, but I'll keep an eye out for what interests me.

All the best.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Kelly.

It's not that we were ignoring you, but you see you did not provide good fodder for the Ornery Greeting, "You Are Wrong." I suppose we were all sitting here wondering who would manage to make that analysis without the fodder.

So, let me make an attempt:

Dear Kelly, welcome to Ornery. Due to lack of a good-fodder introduction, allow me to call it "wrong".

Now you can feel a warmfuzzy sense of belonging!

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elk
Member # 6369

- posted      Profile for elk   Email elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't we call him/her wrong for failing to recognize Card as deity? [Smile]
Posts: 112 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for munga   Email munga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WRONG, elk, OSC is a devil, making apologetics for the Plan of Compulsion.

He's got the magic underwear to prove it!

[ December 11, 2008, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: munga ]

Posts: 5515 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magic Underwear. Is this what pomo 21st century superheroes are reduced to?

I hear Russell Crowe won't be wearing tights in his Robin Hood movie either.

Dark times befall us.

[ December 11, 2008, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: kenmeer livermaile ]

Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elk
Member # 6369

- posted      Profile for elk   Email elk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, its not exactly an accusatory 'your WRONG', but it is warm and fuzzy welcome: "Our host is the devil, Robin Hood no longer wears tights, and the planet Pluto is no longer a valid province of Canada."
Posts: 112 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

I think it is a herald, like "You're Wrong" said in the same tones as, "You're HERE! Yippee!"
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

- posted      Profile for kenmeer livermaile   Email kenmeer livermaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to a world where everything and everyone is wrong, elk.
Posts: 23297 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleOne
Member # 6215

- posted      Profile for LittleOne   Email LittleOne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm LittleOne, i've been here before, but kind-of lost touch with the fourm; but I am here now.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Again [Smile]
HawkeyeFM521
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for HawkeyeFM521   Email HawkeyeFM521   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello folks. I'm new to this forum but have been reading the essays here for a few months now and just realized there was a forum! LOL

A little about me, I'm 34, married with 3 kids and, am in the U.S. Navy. I consider myself politically independent (aka non-partisan) with conservative leanings. I'm fairly stubborn about my beliefs and always try to only pesent the facts but, sometimes my opinion gets in the way. I'm a native Texan (which probably accounts for my stubborness) married to a desert rat, my wife is from Arizona.

And just FYI, I ablotuly enjoy reading anything written by OSC. He is in the top 3 of my favorite writers.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OSC has at least two forums, this and the one at http://www.hatrack.com also. Anything written by him covers a lot of territory: poetry, plays, science fiction, historical fiction, book and movie reviews, newspaper columns and essays. He is amazingly prolific, and at least some of what he writes is very good.

Anyway, welcome to Ornery. You are wrong! That is the traditional greeting, which all of us justify all too frequently.

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isuldi
Member # 6395

- posted      Profile for Isuldi   Email Isuldi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, all. I suppose I get the dubious honor of being your first new member of the new year.

A little intro- I'm a high school student in the middle of a very conservative county in a liberal bastion of a state. Please forgive me if I swing to wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other- I can honestly say it's my upbringing. You'll probably find me a bit of an easy debate- I joke that I have the gift of seeing both sides of the argument and the curse of being swayed easily by both.

In any case, I'll probably be seeing many of you around. Let the games begin.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Greetings, Isuldi. For some reason, your nom de plume is reminding me of Herbert's Dune and I can't remember why.

So you can see the sides, huh? And you are persuadable on both sides? Hm. This suggests that you are less dedicated to dogma, principles, or "team-politics" and more interested in the dynamics of each situation. Sickens me to say it, but have you ever considered that this might mean that you are ideally emotionally equipped to be a lawyer? Now, I hate lawyers but only for their compensation practices, and in general I think people who can "untangle the spaghetti" are very valuable.

But even though you made a very nice entry to Ornery, you are still wrong. You must admit this as surely as Schrodinger's cat is dead sometime or another (physics joke) you will be, eventually, wrong.

Welcome to Ornery!

KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to all the new people.

Munga, depending on what state he is in and how much he reads on his own (he said he was in high school) he probably has no idea what Schrodinger's cat is. Unfortunately. [Frown]

Kelly,

Welcome. You are wrong. Most of the people here disagree with Mr. Card's essay's. Or at least his 'style' of arguing them. But most of us do love his professional fiction work. (As opposed to the fiction he writes in the guise of his opinion. [Smile] )

KE

munga
Member # 6006

oh, I knew that KE. But we are, after all, on the interweb. I thought he'd have fun googling it and imagining the situation of hypothetical ever-living-and-dead as a metaphor for ever-wrongness-and-rightness in the same dynamic.
EDemoMan
Member # 6387

- posted      Profile for EDemoMan   Email EDemoMan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, almost missed this.

I'm 24, MS in EE and part-time PhD candidate, and live in what is commonly acknowledged to be a very liberal state. I work full time and, ironically enough, I *am* a rocket scientist. Because of this background I'm vehemently opposed to the ridiculous quantity of fake "science" governing many facets of our lives today.

I'm also a semi-pro football (soccer) referee with PDL and the W-League, as well as for amateur leagues within my state. This has shown me that most people will do what you allow them to, regardless of what they believe to be "right."

I'm fairly libertarian. I think victimless crimes (drugs, prostitution...) should have very little to no penalty and real crimes (rape, murder, theft...) should have much more serious consequences. I support a much more widely applied death penalty in cases where guilt is not in question. I support corporal punishment for a wide variety of less serious crimes.

Other than this and basic services, I think government should stay out of my life. I also think people have too loose an interpretation of "basic" services; I think people should take care of themselves.

I own guns and believe in my right to own guns, but also agree that any dangerous tool should be publicly known (we license people to drive, too).

Finally, I believe the 17th amendment should be repealed.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Hey, new folks.

EXPLAIN yourselves.

Stevarooni
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for Stevarooni   Email Stevarooni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by munga:
Hey, new folks.

EXPLAIN yourselves.

It's not my fault. I blame excessive exposure to aluminum and too low a dose of orgone energy.
Posts: 536 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenmeer livermaile
Member # 2243

Stick with tin. Hard to find in stores, gotta order through industrial catalogs, but the voice commands stop like THAT and your sensitivity to plant vibes improves significantly.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome to Ornery, EDemo. You are wrong. Actually you are right about almost everything you said, in my opinion, but please don't ever call "soccer" football again. It hurts my ears like nails on a chalkboard. You did say you live in a 'state', right? So you are an American, please talk like it.

You're a 'rocket scientist'? Prove it. Quick; how do you go FTL? What does JPL stand for? What is the top speed of the space shuttle? Where did they really film the "moon landings"? [Smile]

KE

PS; how did you come to our fair community? Are you a fan of OSC's work? Obviously you don't share his politics, so if you are a fan be prepared for a rude awakening. Forewarned is forearmed.

AbominableDyllis
Member # 6419

- posted      Profile for AbominableDyllis   Email AbominableDyllis       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking on these forums for weeks, but have been visiting the Ornery site for about a year. I'm a 21 year old female college student. To the many BYUians on here, I attend the University of Utah...gasp! I'm trying not to be such an apologist for this fact, but have time and again felt the need to apologize for my choice of school since I live near Provo and come from a family of fervent BYU fans.

Anyway, I'm an avid reader but I tend to reread the same books over and over again if I love them. I love John Steinbeck, Victor Hugo, The Lord of the Rings series, Stephen King, and of course, Orson Scott Card. I've lost count of how many times I've read Ender's Game since the 8th grade.

Politically I'd say I'm a non-partisan idealist. Moderate, but, being religious as I am, sometimes socially conservative. I haven't been able to bring myself to choose between Republican and Democrat and so remain unaffiliated.

I'm interested in Gardening, Geography, Writing, and I love studying the French language. Les Misérables is my favorite novel and I must say it's best in its native language.

I love hiking, camping, and tubing and sledding. I love to travel, but think that Utah has some of the most beautiful scenery on Earth. I think it's somewhat lacking in the culture department, though, and having lived here my whole life, I would love to live in another state or country for a while. Being Mormon, female, and 21, perhaps a mission would be the ticket. I haven't quite decided yet.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munga
Member # 6006

Wait a minute. I thought Mormon women were married out as children?

Just kidding, I'm Mormon, too.

How are you wrong, when you are totally moderate?

Easy, you are on ORNERY. Welcome, and you are wrong. I say this because you are clearly so eclectic that to have not channelled your thoughts into a single Theory of the Universe suggests that you must be wrong about a lot of it or you'd have nailed that down by now.

welcome, and tell all the cougar fans that Brigham started your school, too.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Welcome Dyllis. You say you are a fan of OSC's writing, how do you feel about his politics. No wrong answer, just curious.

KE

munga
Member # 6006

Hey NEW PEOPLE,

If you'd like to say hello, this is the dedicated thread.

I've been seeing the newbies register but not talk (not that there's anything wrong with that.... at least until you talk, and then, you can receive the standard ORNERY GREETING- You Are Wrong...) but back on topic, we like new folks and you are welcome.

By the way, I did notice that our registration includes the topic AIM ID-- and someone wrote that they didn't even know what it was. And that's funny, cause I agree. Anyone know what it is?

munga
Member # 6006

***grumble***

ya see, we try to be nice and all we attract are a bunch of wimpy lurkers!

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AIM is "AOL Instant Messenger." Your AIM ID would be your screen name on that program if you used it.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Childcraft Encyclopedia Book 1- Poems and Rhymes

(which my mother read to me rather than stories, because stories put her to sleep)

Hiding:

I'm hiding, I'm hiding,
And no one knows where;
For all they can see is my
Toes and my hair.

And I just heard my father
Say to my mother---
"But, darling, he must be
Somewhere or other."

"Have you looking in the inkwell?"
And Mother said, "Where?"
"In the INKWELL," said Father. But
I was not there.

Then "Wait!" cried my mother---
"I think that I see
Him under the carpet." But
It was not me.

"Inside the mirror's
A pretty good place."
Said Father and looked, but saw
Only his face.

"We've hunted," sighed Mother,
"As hard as we could
And I am so afraid that we've
Lost him for good."

Then I laughed out aloud
And wiggled my toes
And Father said--- "Look, dear,
I wonder if those...

"Toes could be Benny's.
There are ten of them, see?"
And they WERE so surprised to find
Out is was me!

--Dorothy Aldis

Sometimes in the world, there are those who would pressure or paint opposition to something good by using the differences of personal opinions held by protagionists of change. And, there are people who just can't keep their big mouths shut.

What is the reasonable thing to do?

For the good of all, I have staged a coup over said Big-Mouth.

The fun thing about this critter is that it had only one active personality at a time (he was never able to capitalize on having the extra eyes and limbs and double his income, which judging by the manipulation of oxygen prices, he might have considered).

I declare I have taken over a usually-Dominant Personality and taken temporary control (OM assisted me in committing this act- you may consider pressing charges). Indeed, I will seize control and submerge The Dominant whenever it appears to me to be too dangerous to let my Usual Egomaniac run the house, and then whenever the (unjust, actually illegal) scrutiny has passed, I will withdraw my divine influence and allow The Regular, Lamo-Brain to have full swing.

As Arnold said and I must agree, she was "there first."

(And yes, we are considering the use of a Hitleresque tone or employing the Imperial "We" but I/we haven't decided yet -it might be too much work and my arms are very short).

Of course, this only works as a mechanism to allow the continual posting of my very important views while projecting important professional projects, if the posters of Ornery will kindly play along. If you dislike my new form (yes, the baby face is grotesque) you can always call me "M" and I'll answer that.

Anyway----- good to be back!

[ April 06, 2009, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Kuato ]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

- posted      Profile for Kuato   Email Kuato       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"projecting important professional projects" = "protecting important professional projects"

even with my new powers, I edit need to edit to death

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scouser1
unregistered

Welcome, Kuato. you are wrong.

Meh. [LOL]

Kuato
Member # 6445

stinker
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, embrace our new symbiotic overlord...
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kuato
Member # 6445

.... and you shall be treated with mercy.

((( Orneryfolks! )))

KnightEnder
unregistered

I welcome him, her, it, but I ain't embracing it.

KE

Kuato
Member # 6445

KL, aren't you as manly as Arnold???
KnightEnder
unregistered

KE? I didn't do as many steroids as The Guvenator, nor grab as many womens asses, so I guess not.

KE

Kuato
Member # 6445

blech.

I tell you, my attention to detail goes into the toilet a few days a month.....

KnightEnder
unregistered

That's it people, Thread is dead, Munga has posted. Nothing to see here. Move along! [Smile]

KE

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page