Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Time for Introduction threads (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: Time for Introduction threads
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!
I thought I had a low member number, almost as low as Ev's, but 59 is really low - they are assigned sequentially right?

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha. You're not cool until your member number is close to the freezing temperature of water.

Did anyone else blow beverages out their nose when reading "Gorgon Head's" profile? Hahahaha... a lawyer from redding indeed. When will our silly little Kevin learn...

I, on the other hand, am a Lizardman Barbarian in exile.

[Smile]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... never?
Posts: 166 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talon
Member # 1068

- posted      Profile for talon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey this is talon
I'm a pretty unusual guy. I'm extremely liberal, except on the Israel/Palestine issue, where I am a moderate. I am an exceptionally avid birder and conservationist. I am a Unitarian and a Hindu. But I am NOT a hippie. I am a hip-hopper. I cannot stand the current US regime (cough) uh... administration. I am 14, but am not fed my political views.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread, I think it should be tapped often enough to stay current. It’s enlightening to see who I am talking to.

For what it’s worth, I am a 45 year old ex-Marine, now with 16 years of IT behind me. I pay a lot of taxes.

I am uni-lingual (what a waste of opportunity).

I have 3 daughters, ages 23, 10, and 5. I have a wonderful wife who could have written some of the Mensa tests (her I.Q. is freakin’ off the scales). She is also a good carpenter and great with sheetrock/wallpaper/paint, but there are some areas where she lacks common sense.

I often dangle participles.

Until recently I worked long, long hours as an overpaid independent consultant (hence the taxes). Lately I have been redefining success and other things in life are starting to appear more important than cash flow; I traded the Lexus SC400 for a Jeep Wrangler and spend more time with the girls (apologies to the oldest, she didn’t have much of a daddy).

I am not political but I am practical. I support elected officials whose selfish individual agendas are the least damaging to my family and way of life.

My handle (ssci) is simply the initials of my company (Sunburst Software and Consulting, Inc.)(I know it’s a goofy name, but it was an inside joke).

This is the first time I have participated in this type of forum. I find it fascinating and am especially interested in the viewpoints of the members outside of the U.S. We are actively shrinking the world.

Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually my member number is very close to the boiling point of methane (in kelvin), and M^2's is close to the boiling point of N2 (in Rankine) I would say that is pretty cool too, but I did the sneaky absolute temperature scale thing. gotta watch those thermodynamicists - theyre a sneaky bunch!
Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fotwennytime
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
26, m, oh.
im a crazy anti social hermit that talks to himself, and answers. aside from that my interests are factory labor, and anything that fits in the narrow range of making me think without hurting my brain. oh yeah i like capitalism too. and cartoons, and tree's, tree's are good. good for climbing, good for breathing, good for shade, and building,and burning, oh yeah birds live in em too. dont burn tree's that have birds in em. oh yeah and im fond of rambling.

Posts: 420 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shameless self-promotion:
SSCI, you ever need some tech writing support, give me a holler.
As is painfully obvious from the ridiculous number of posts, they don't keep me too busy at my regular job.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy. I hadn't planned on posting anything, really, and only registered because it's easier to update new posts when one is logged in, but OrneryMod's e-mailed welcome was so nice that I thought I should introduce myself. Those of you who also use Hatrack know me. For those who don't, name's Michael, live in SoCal, between jobs, married with one two-year-old and one negative-five-month-old (approximately). I've been lurking here for the past year, and that's mostly what I'll continue to do. I lack the depth of knowledge most of you seem to have, which is why I prefer to lurk, but I appreciate the opportunity to soak up the raw info provided along with others' opinions and interpretations thereof, and compare it to my own thoughts, musings and deductions. I'm conservative on some issues, liberal on others, and many I don't know or don't care much one way or the other. Ok, that'll have to do it for now.

--Pop

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,Redskullvw, you've worn me down. I deign to post. I enjoy the camraderie of our fellow posters here at Ornery but usually try to avoid the hard-to-dispel self-serving braggadocio inherent in listing pedigree. Revealing innermost secrets, dysfunctions, and motivational traumas that color so much of our true backgrounds is also frightening. I finally decided that opening up somewhat could be a good thing - it all depends on the readers of the bios - and what they choose to do with the inside information. Some will probably take the cheap-shot route, but I figure that most of the members here are honorable people with good hearts and will assume the best of a person rather than the worst. (I also note that my older brother, Ron, posted in here earlier. He neglected to mention he is a published SF author, having several sales to Stanley Schmidt of Analog - and is also a qualified expert on religion, being able to decipher the Dead Sea Scrolls in their original Greek and whatever other languages they might be written in. He was the chief Editor and publisher for the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and the pre-editor of my own forthcoming book on the science of coaching soccer.)

I am a baby-boomer, born when my father came back from WWII after liberating some German Concentration Camps and fighting in the Battle of the Bulge. I remember the photos of the ovens and the open graves with thousands of emaciated bodies that were in his Army yearbook chronicling the carnage there. I've never given any credence to Holocaust revisionists. I also understood there were 1.4 Christians murdered along with each Jew killed by the Nazis. I grew up as TV was introduced, and before it was perceived as possible that a reporter or the media could lie or misconstrue facts to push an agenda.

I graduated from High School in 1967 after having lead a pro-active demonstration in my Senior Year during the first ever Teacher's strike. (Yes, my school started the whole thing. My French Teacher, Mr. Kowalczyk, was one of the instigators.) Our demonstration was to get the School Board to send some official to allow our football team to practice and get ready for the coming season - Our First game was against Cousino, and they were ranked as one of the best teams in the state of Michigan practicing WITH their coaches from the same school district as our school WITHOUT our coaches who were honoring the strike. I remember my picture on the front page of the newspaper explaining our position, while a sheriff deputy in the background was threatening to "fill my backside full of buckshot." We got the Athletic Director, Bob James to come open our locker room, and enable our insurance. The strike eventually ended. Our coaches returned just before the big game. And we won it.

I had been elected captain of the football team and president of the Senior class, so it seemed like my resonsibility to seek justice at the time. Partially on the basis of that event and a few other extracurricular activities and grade point average, I received a Regents grant to attend the University of Michigan during the buildup of the Vietnam War. UM wanted a proactive reputation and went out looking for student leaders willing to stir the pot. Every single kid in my preterm indoctrination group of over a hundred kids was both a student council or class president as well as captain of a major athletic team or award winner of some kind. It was a strange and overwhelming group of Type-A+ personalities. I saw the major protests of the sixties and seventies - the Kent State Massacre, the burning of the ROTC building in Ann Arbor, the march on the Pentagon. and all the other mind-altering events of the times. Most of the rabid agitators were outsiders and not from that proactive group of leaders that UofM brought together.

I majored in Advertising Design and minored in Philosophy and Logic. Since the Advertising Design program consisted of an undergrad AD team leader in charge of grad students from every college in the University - my counselor would approve any class I wanted to take sans required prerequisites. Did you know there are Econ classes taught by Nobel Laureates that are not taught until fifth & sixth year Econ students are so confused they need an overall class to explain how everything really works? As long as the profs didn't complain, I could take the classes. I was never driven by the need to do homework and get all A's. A minuses and B's were fine by me. The curriculum was never the end-all and be-all to me anyway, learning was - and there was so much I wanted to learn.

When I graduated, I became an Animation-Director/Producer for 17 years (Except for a short period when I went to the Criminal Justice Institute as the Senior Art Director making training tapes and videos, research, and educational programs for all areas of the Criminal Justice genré.) Then the Advertising Agency decided to get rid of our group - at the same time that all of the Detroit agencies divested themselves of most Art Directors older than 40 who made more than $40K. Hard times in the industry. I worked at Kmart headquarters as a Creative Designer until being hired as Creative Director for a job shop doing creative work for GM and other clients. They were closed by the IRS and I ended up at DCX under contract from an Advanced Technical Training group making computer graphics.

My life is my family - and my wife and I brought up three great boys. Electrician, Building Construction Manager, and Automotive Design Engineer. They are all married now, and we have two little grandkids so far. Growing up, the boys were good students and athletic. One was all-state in both Soccer and Track, and all were captains and stars of their respective teams. One won the National SAE drafting competition. I coached them as they grew up, and was convinced to take over the High School soccer team as head coach. My wife and I were both volunteers of the year for our local school district (My wife won twice.)

I grew up while the Republicans were fighting to create the Civil Rights Movement inspite of resistance from the Democrats, and have watched as the years passed and the Democrats tried to rewrite history and claim civil rights was their doing, and the GOP who were bigots instead of the other way around. I saw politics as it happened. Ann-Margaret will always be my hero - and not Barbarella. I saw the honor and brilliance of people like Senator Philip A. Hart and Reagan, and the ineptitude of people like Johnson and Carter.

I enjoy the give and take from those in this forum, and appreciate the many good insights most bring to the table here. I forgive most of the short-sightedness of the younger members who don't know how much they have yet to learn - and am in awe of the great researching skills of LetterRip, Redskullvw, and Kentuckian. That you all for reminding me that there is still a great deal more to learn.

Edited by OrneryMod with Williams persmission.

[ June 08, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I am 28, Polish, temporarily in the US (university internship ending in January). Which was for me quite an unexpected turn in life, by the way. My education roughly translates to MA in history/archival science, though it’s not precise. My work here has more to do with literature than history.

Politically, I’m sort of agnostic, allergic to the left and disappointed with the right. In general, I have more doubts than opinions. I am a eurosceptic (British spelling intended) even though, basically, I’m for joining EU. It’s weird to watch Poland trying to find her way between EU and US, West and East – from America… I have similar experience on the personal level too, living here with Europeans – mostly – and working with Americans. I have mixed feelings about death penalty and don’t participate in discussions about abortion. Pinned down I’ll admit I’m pro-life. I sympathize with minorities of various kind but can’t stand political correctness.

I know a thing or two about history and culture, in topics related to science or economy I am out of my depth.

Catholic.

From Witold Gombrowicz – a writer who’s my endless inspiration:

“I am not so mad as to have any views these days, or not to have them.”

I strongly believe that you will like this quote, or you will not.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never thought I would have to step into this thread, but hear goes.

Let leave this thread for what it was intended, or I will delete the posts that are causing the problems.

I have slightly edited Williams post, with his persmission, and removed the replys to it. Hopefully this thread will stay on track.

OrneryMod

[ June 08, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a bump as we have several new members.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious OrneryM,

Is Gorgon gone? He isn't registered any more and his name isn't in bold? Is this part of your "clearing the deadwood"?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_black_angel
Member # 1134

- posted      Profile for the_black_angel   Email the_black_angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Im a 18 year old student living in Perth Western Australia.

I am basicly left of the centre politicaly but that changes on the mood i am in at the time same as everyone else.

I am currently studying for my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), My plans for the next couple of years is to work and hopefully travel and see the world.

I am a complete techno addict anything technical i love, especially in the eletronics and IT world. I love Apple computers and will fight for them to the death. I inherently hate microsoft and what they stand for.

I am a firm believer that there is always more to an argument and do believe that people are more influenced by TV and Radio than the believe ( I watch very little TV and listen to the radio only now and then)

I like all good music regardless to the genre it belongs to. I also hate censoreship.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisanth88
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Kisanth88   Email Kisanth88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm,

/wave

24 Year old Network Engineer from rural PA. Living in NJ currently (pitty me).

Generally regarded as liberal by my conservative friends but I consider myself to be a leftish moderate.

Not a fan of big government or big corporations.

Anti-organized religion, believe what you want, but when you organize a religion it can be used to leverage people like the mafia.

Two time college drop-out /bow

Feel free to PM me about anything.

Let me know if you think I'm making no sense [Smile]

-k

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump for the new people.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dom Peralt
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Dom Peralt   Email Dom Peralt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My how time flies... it's been almost 2 years since I made my first post in this thread. And now I'm no longer in MA and no longer a "big-L" libertarian. (Small l, still, though.)
Posts: 749 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quatre86
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Quatre86   Email Quatre86   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of the few high schoolers out there... I can hear my credibility flying out the window. I live in Chappaqua, NY (the place where the Clintons sleep when they aren't in more important places). I'm seventeen, meaning I'll be a senior.

Politically, I'm not sure where I lie. I mainly just like to argue with people, and since everyone in my town is a liberal, I end up taking the Devil's Advocate approach and going conservative. I try to form opinions independent of a single guiding ideology, so I have some conservative and some liberal viewpoints. So I guess I'm an Independent.

I got led hear by the Philotic Web forum and thought OSC had some interesting opinions. Never really posted until recently... had a bit of a confrontation, but it's better than being ignored.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Welcome to the site.

And that was no confrontation. You have not seen confrontation yet. [Smile]

msquared

raingirl
Member # 1160

- posted      Profile for raingirl   Email raingirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dom Peralt :

Dont' take it so hard....
it is the mind that keeps you young and the debate that keeps you spirited!

(OK- I probley stole it off of a quote somewhere....and wait until you look back and see 20 years online here! Talk about interesting...I wonder who much it will come back to haunt us!?! [Wink] )

Posts: 263 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dom Peralt
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Dom Peralt   Email Dom Peralt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
raingirl,

Wow, 20 years'd be something, wouldn't it? And I just realized that I should have major bragging rights for being #14...

Posts: 749 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
Pretty new here, but not hesitant to post, as some of you must have gathered.

As for my "stats", I am 25, single, live in western Maine, and am a schoolteacher. Don't like political labels, so here are some of my opinions as of the moment:

Bush: bad president

Clinton: good president, bad person

FDR: best president

environmentalism: good

gun control:necessary

racism: still exists (and not against white guys)

abortion: not going there!

Personally, I am a somewhat intoverted intellectual, majored in fine arts, minored in Tibetan (huh?), I am a practicing buddhist, looking forward to going back to Tibet as soon as the dragon is slain or lulled to sleep. Till then, I occupy my time training for cross-country skiing (again, huh?) and looking for people online who like to argue. You all are the best I have found.

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIJC is a grrl? Woohoo! *sekrut handshake*
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, grrl (we are few), but nay, college (y'all are many).
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

We have several females who post here. Zyne, FIJC, Denalian and Luny are sisters(but they have not posted in a while, moosegirl, liz and Ender Wiggin.

Ender Wiggin is in the Canadian Army and has not posted in a while but she drops in every now and then.

msquared

Twelve
Member # 1173

- posted      Profile for Twelve   Email Twelve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twelve here, reporting in. Picked the name twelve because it sounds interesting, pure and simple. I've read this site off and on, and should I ever decide to post, I'm registered now. I'm still in my teens, but far more informed than most of my generation (as I actually read the news and what not). Formerly semi-democratic, I now consider myself largely libertarian, though I side with democrats rather than republicans in the clinch. I try to live by the principle of "Live and let live."

Enjoy science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, some small bits of other fiction, and assorted nonfiction. Enjoy performing and listening to many types of music (emphatically dislike most pop, most country, and most rap). Enjoy role-playing games, and enjoy studying and thinking about the world around us. Enjoy the company of canines. Like to read informed analysis, hate to read blind ranting and dogmatic preaching.

-Twelve

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raucous
Member # 1091

- posted      Profile for raucous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better late than never right?
So my name is Jonas (please don't sing Weezer to me) and I'm 23. I'm originally from North Louisiana, lived in Colorado, joined the Army spent 2 years in Germany, and finished up in Kansas which is where I'm at now. So I guess I'm essentially a coonass/mountainman/kraut/wheatfarmer all rolled into one. Getting ready to start at Kansas State with a dual major in Sociology and International Studies (specializing in Russia and Eastern Europe.) I'm a Taoist and try to live as such no matter how hard it is in this day and age. Politically I'm issue person and not a party person (far right on some far left on others). I'm a registered libertarian and a member of Negative Population Growth. I'm generally pretty jaded and caustic in my views and I'm a big fan of quotes (especially jaded and caustic ones.) I like to think that I'm pseudo-decent as far as spelling and grammer, but not to worried about it. Hey, I'm here to have fun not be graded. [Cool]

Posts: 56 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

You didn't know?

We grade all posts for punctuation and spelling.

I fail constantly [Smile]

raingirl
Member # 1160

- posted      Profile for raingirl   Email raingirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you will have to move over and let me in sit with you Ev!
[Big Grin]

Hello everyone-
(I liked Adam's format so I am going to copy it)

Female Carbon-based Life Form
Physically age 35
Mentally aprox 9
Spiritually about 3000
Not shy (in case you haven't noticed)
Raised an Oil Brat (Great Irony of my life) Mainly SE Asia (parents still there & Great Friends all over the planet)
Small Business Owner so I am always torn about Governmental involvment
Suckled on information from papers like International Herald Tribune; World Press Review and didn’t have TV until 13.

Taoist
And live by one thing:

Everyday I have fresh running water I am already richer than 80% of this planet, and everything else in my life is gravy...

Posts: 263 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fat and ugly and 90 years old and on drugs and I like run-on sentences a lot and a lot.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

Bump for new members who feel like posting or getting more info on some of the older members.

msquared

Everard
unregistered

We've lost some good members, looking back over this thread... I hope they are still around, and come back at some point.
youngangry
Member # 1206

- posted      Profile for youngangry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am who I am and that is all I want to say at this time. Personal information is NOT, in my mind, for Internet consumption. Ideas information, and discussions are essentially its uses.

What you will get know about me from my discussions is that I am Conservative, religious (although not sure how much that will show here), and very cynical.

Well, I do want to say: Hello.

[ August 27, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: youngangry ]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my handle here IS my name, its a bit straightforward, since I already have quite a plenthora of other handles and nicknames from elsewhere. I'm 26, just celebrated my 2nd anniversary with my wife and having just graduated from college, am looking for work. Sucky job market [Frown] Hope to have something soon.

I found this site via my love of sci-fi and fantasy, leading to OSC then to here. I am interested in politics and vote, though I'm frustrated with partisian squabbling and low standards of political conduct (both sides) ie election stealing, negative campaigns, various alleged misdeeds and improprieties as well as hypocrisy. I do realize we're human and am willing to forgive a few mistakes if they're admitted to and responsiblity accepted.

Hmm anything else? I mingle with a lot of different people, though I'm generally an anomaly in any group I'm part of. I really am just interested in learning about everything and admit to lurking here for a long while! [Cool] [Big Grin] Oh, and I've been living in the Los Angeles area for a few years, though I've also been in DC, Baltimore, Frederick, Houston, Wichita, and the SLC area at various times in growing up.

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Andrew Davies. Since I just got "published" on this site, I figured I should introduce myself. I grew up in Springfield, Illinois, and currently live in Orem, Utah. I'm 31, married, and have two daughters, ages 4 and 1.5. My schooling is in political science, philosophy, and accounting. I'm an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or Mormons.

I'm one of the political "Lonely Middle" as I call us, referring to those of us who are unconcerned with whether an issue is left or right. Rather, I simply want to take all the information available and make the best rational decision. So though I have strong opinions, I'm always searching for new "data" from which to make a more informed decision. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that most people seem to take a position and find any reasons to justify it, to the exclusion of other competing facts.

Since I live in Utah, most "liberal" organizations and politicians here are moderately conservative from a national point of view. I am a member of MESJ (Mormons for Equality and Social Justice), a progressive organization for LDS people. You can see our mission statement and resolutions at mesj.org , and you can also join the MESJ Forum .

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

quote:
I am who I am and that is all I want to say at this time. Personal information is NOT, in my mind, for Internet consumption. Ideas information, and discussions are essentially its uses.

What you will get know about me from my discussions is that I am Conservative, religious (although not sure how much that will show here), and very cynical.

Well, I do want to say: Hello.

HAHAHA
Quality intro...

akatzen
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for akatzen   Email akatzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is me. Blah. I tend to lurk more than post, mostly because I'm not a big fan of arguing, and partly because I don't have the time to do enough research to back up what I say with fact.
But I do enjoy reading everybody else immensely.

Anyway. I'm 24... very nearly 25 (yep, a Virgo), male, from Southern California. I was one of those underprivileged children you read about, but lucky as hell. Went to a private high school, worked like a dog to pay the tuition.
Special thanks to FASFA for the college education... Got a degree in theatre technology, emphasis in scenic design.

I enjoy writing quite a bit, but it's only my poetry and plays that have gone anywhere.

I first came here because of Mr. Card (duh). Read Ender's Game when I was 13, and have reread it about 30 more times since. When I can afford it, I buy his other books, and have made it through most of em.
I found this site because of Hatrack.com, where a few years ago I posted on the Virtual Battle School pretty regularly.

As for politics, I don't have a political party. Some friends have said I'm more liberal than liberal, if that gives you any idea. (As if my posts weren't clear enough)

Religion: Don't have that either. I'm ordained in the Universal Life Church, and every couple months post a cyber-sermon on my Blog, where I encourage spiritual growth without the burden of dogmatic law. The rest of my blog is a bunch of stories and cynicism...

Er, that's about it, I guess. I read a lot, and while I'm not a huge fan of Salvatore, I'm still not gonna list my favorites for your dissembling.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we have recently acquired a number of new members, I thought I'd give the introduction thread a bump.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, To anyone new to this site who managed to slog through this seven page thread, I'm Adam (possibly the only poster here who isn't anonymous, not that there's anything wrong eith that), I wrote the Tibet essay which is still up at present, and currently I teach elementary school in New England. My favorite Beatle was George, and my turn-ons include chocolate cake and the little smile Secretary Rumsfeld makes at press conferences to disguise the fact that what he really wants to do is lunge at the reporter who made him look stupid and beat him senseless.
Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  30  31  32   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page