Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Paul Martin Shrieks With Girlish Delight...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Martin Shrieks With Girlish Delight...
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many of you pay attention to our little political squabbles up here (any of you border folk probably do), but this is probably one of the most unexpected and surreal developments in Canadian political history:

Stronach defects to Liberals, stuns political observers

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

"OTTAWA (CP) - The defeat of Paul Martin's Liberal government became less likely Tuesday with the stunning defection of a high-profile Tory MP to the Liberal cabinet.
Martin sat beside a smiling Belinda Stronach at a surprise news conference and introduced the rookie parliamentarian as his new human resources minister.

Stronach's departure is a blow to the Tories on several levels - starting with a confidence vote set for Thursday in the House of Commons...

...If the Liberals were hoping to weaken their rivals almost on the eve of the crucial vote, they couldn't have scripted a more dramatic defection.

In one fell swoop the new Conservative party lost one of its founding members, its trade critic, its strongest left-leaning voice, a leadership aspirant, and a young, female Ontario MP with romantic ties to the party's deputy leader Peter MacKay.

The Conservatives said the Liberals are on a desperate vote-buying spree and deserve to be toppled. "

Martin Welcomes Hottie Politician

Shakespearean in Scope...beauty, billions, love, betrayal!!

The reason this is big news for us (and possibly you) is that only a week ago it looked like there was:

a) going to be a summer election
b) the Conservatives would win, ensuring a new Global Ally for the Bush Administration's policies.

And here's the CBC page which is far more informative and (dare I say it?) beautiful...

Pictures and Charts and Pizazz!

-

[ May 17, 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize what this looks like in a party that just got caught red-handed in billions of embezzled taxpayer dollars.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike_W
Member # 202

- posted      Profile for Mike_W   Email Mike_W   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millions. Maybe only hundreds of thousands. Still, an utter disgrace.

Looks like? Looks like the smell on one side of the isle was slightly less offensive than on the other.

The Liberals need to be sent packing for 4 years or so. Too bad our current Conservative leadership have no political sense.

This Stronach thing is a bombshell.

Posts: 1352 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how her payoff cost the Canadian taxpayers, and how they laundered it.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_W:
This Stronach thing is a bombshell.

The issue or the woman?

[Wink]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike_W
Member # 202

- posted      Profile for Mike_W   Email Mike_W   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cost? Not one bit Pete. She got offered a political future, and a chance to escape from an environment that most likely drove her nuts.

Ms Stronach is wealthy enough to be beyond financial bribery.

Less charitably, it could be argued she only joined the Conservatives to take a run at the leadership, then lost, and soured on the whole lot.

Canadian. I don't find her that attractive. But, to each his own. I have no idea of her measure. I thought she was a lightweight when she ran for the Conservative leadership. Maybe she has what it takes to be a minister. We will see.

Posts: 1352 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Well, speaking of chances to escape from an environment that drives one nuts, I hope that Alberta and like-minded provinces take a lesson from Quebec and realize that making secession noises is an easy way to get concessions when things political do not go their way. They could certainly take a place at our table. And I'm sure you could take some of our blue states.
canadian
Member # 1809

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_W:
Canadian. I don't find her that attractive. But, to each his own. I have no idea of her measure. I thought she was a lightweight when she ran for the Conservative leadership. Maybe she has what it takes to be a minister. We will see.

Well, she's no Margaret Thatcher, I'll admit...

lol

I don't think she is all that attractive eaither, but so much has been made of it that I thought I was alone on that.

Pete:

Stronach is loaded. The last thing she needs is under the table taxpayer money. No, I think she wants to be Prime Minister of Canada, and after looking at the political landscape realized this was her time to strike.

Ironically, Stronach's personal ambition has provided Canada (and therefore the US) with some small amount of political and economic stability.

canadian
Member # 1809

quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
Well, speaking of chances to escape from an environment that drives one nuts, I hope that Alberta and like-minded provinces take a lesson from Quebec and realize that making secession noises is an easy way to get concessions when things political do not go their way. They could certainly take a place at our table. And I'm sure you could take some of our blue states.

There are, indeed Alberta secessionists, but the majority of Albertans feel happy to be a part of Canada. Given the choice, the majority would be more than a little wary of Union with the States. We enjoy the fact that we are out of the the fray for the most part and left to our own devices.
Mike_W
Member # 202

Sadly, our provinces have already been having a grand time extorting money from the feds because of the current weakness of the federal government. Federal States with a small number of parts (our provinces) are a hard thing to manage in a modern era. Too hard to tell any one of them to sod off.
Sancselfieme
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Canada hates the Tories when they will still vote the Liberals in even after the sponsorship scandal, even when the present PM was the FINANCE MINISTER during the scandal!

[ May 17, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Sancselfieme ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

From what I hear, a number of Albertans would like to tell the eastern lefties to sod off with the cultural policies on guns and marriage.

[ May 17, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

canadian
Member # 1809

A number, yes. The majority, not really. To tell the truth, most Albertans don't really think about the Federal government very much.

Secessionists and complainers make a lot of noise, so they get the headlines, but the 'Martha and Henry's are pretty levelheaded and enjoy the status quo.

They're not adverse to change. Not at all. Just take it slow. It wasn't until the 70's that we transformed from a rural province to a industrialized, wealthy province.

[ May 17, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

But here the frog-cookers have turned the heat up rather too quickly.

quote:
Secessionists and complainers make a lot of noise, so they get the headlines, but the 'Martha and Henry's are pretty levelheaded and enjoy the status quo.
That was also true during the American revolution. Typical American didn't really care.
Sancselfieme
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
But here the frog-cookers have turned the heat up rather too quickly.

quote:
That was also true during the American revolution. Typical American didn't really care.
I'm not sure that's really the case. The British had a lot of punitive tax policies and other laws that were making everyone's life harder, and you can't drum up support for huge militias from just a handful of extremists.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

10% of the population is more than a handful, Sanc. Most of the population just went along with the flow. And those that stood against the revolution, like Ben Franklin's own son, mostly had to run to Canada or England after the revolution. The winners were none too tolerant. Of course the Canadians didn't leave too many French speakers in New Brunswick, either.

[ May 18, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

ender wiggin
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for ender wiggin   Email ender wiggin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping there is an election just so I can vote Green party.
Posts: 971 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Well, BC just had it's Provincial Eclection yesterday. The New Democrats took a third of the Liberal seats. I have a feeling that more Canadians will be voting NDP and Green in the future.
canadian
Member # 1809

Eclection? lol
Pete at Home
Member # 429

That sounds very Canadian. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page