Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Important notice about Pete's son (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Important notice about Pete's son
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WS makes a point, but it must be incredibly painful to have heard him utter that particular sentence. All you're doing, PaH, should help him know you're there to help him keep living.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete - is it possible they did a colonic irrigation? That's a heavy duty enema, but much bigger, irrigates the whole colon and large intestine, I believe. Many holistic and alternative medicine centers offer this therapy.

Read more here:
http://www.meridianinstitute.com/reports/colonic1.html

Also, read here about autism and its relationship to intestinal and bowel issues:
http://www.meridianinstitute.com/ceu/ceu12abd.html

Perhaps this is what it is? And if you can't find it in Vegas, they offer it all over L.A.

I can't imagine what you and your wife are feeling right now, particularly as T2 expresses his pain verbally. I'm thinking about you all and sending positive thoughts your way...as well as an open-ended offer for any assistance you might need when/if you come to L.A.

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhPuhLeez
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for OhPuhLeez   Email OhPuhLeez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also this:

quote:
Austism and the Gut Brain

One of the fascinating themes which runs through the Cayce health information is the role of the abdominal nervous system (the so-called "abdominal brain,"1 "gut brain,"2 "enteric nervous system,"2,3) with regard to a diversity of conditions, especially neurological diseases. For example, Meridian research programs have investigated the intestinal connection in epilepsy and migraine, two neurological illnesses which the Cayce readings say are often caused by problems in the abdomen which irritate the "gut" brain. The irritation is then referred to the cerebral brain culminating in the distinctive symptoms of these illnesses. The medical literature attests to these interactions with numerous articles on "abdominal migraine" and "abdominal epilepsy." However, most neurologists would regard gastro-intestinal features as merely a side effect of the cerebral pathology.

Some recent medical research may add yet another condition to this list of neurological diseases with abdominal features. Autism has been linked to intestinal problems and has been successfully treated with a substance called secretin, derived from the gut of hogs.

Wakefield et al investigated a consecutive series of children with chronic enterocolitis and regressive developmental disorder.4 The twelve children (mean age 6 years) had a history of normal development followed by loss of acquired skills, including language, together with diarrhoea and abdominal pain. Additionally, Murch et al (1998) report that 47 out of 50 autistic children they studied showed significant bowel pathology.5 When subjected to colon cleansing, these children showed notable improvement in their autism symptoms. The researchers conclude, "We re-emphasize the fact that there is a consistent pattern of gut inflammation in a high proportion of children within the broad autistic spectrum. Understanding the link between the bowel and the brain in autism may allow new insights into this devastating illness."5

Further evidence of intestinal involvement in autism has surfaced when a substance called secretion has been surprisingly effective in the treatment of autism for some children. After Victoria and Gary Beck successfully treated their autistic child with secretin and triggered interest in this substance, Horvath et al studied the therapeutic effects of secretin on three autistic children and noted significant clinical improvement, both gastrointestinal and behavioral.6 Secretin is now being tested with more autistic children to determine its potential.

Secretin is a natural substance, produced in the intestinal tract by all mammals. While it is not a drug, and it is not harmful, the FDA nevertheless requires that it be sold only by prescription. Secretin is usually given by slow injection (infusion), but there are other methods of administration which are being considered. The only FDA-approved use for secretin is in the diagnosis of gastrointestinal problems, not as a treatment for any disorder.

Interestingly, secretin is similar to Ventriculin, a product recommended by Edgar Cayce for a child exhibiting mild autistic symptoms (case 1179). Ventriculin was manufactured by Parke-Davis until the mid or late 1950s. Ventriculin was derived from the gastric tissue of hogs. It was taken orally in powder form for general debilitation, anemia, poor assimilations, and a wide range of other conditions associated with the digestive system.

Meridian Institute is creating a research protocol on autism which will integrate a variety of therapies to address the intestinal and neurological features of this syndrome.

REFERENCES

1. Robinson, B. (1907). The abdominal and pelvic brain. Hammond, Indiana: Frank S. Betz.

2. Gershon, M. D., Kirchgessner, A. L., & Wade, P. R. (1994). Functional anatomy of the enteric nervous system. In L. R. Johnson, (Ed.), Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract (3rd ed.). (Vol.1). New York: Raven Press.

3. Wood, J. D. (1994). Physiology of the enteric nervous system. In L.R.Johnson, (Ed.), Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract (3rd ed.). (Vol.1). New York: Raven Press.

4. Wakefield, A. J., Murch, S. H., Anthony, A., Linnell, J., Casson, D. M., Malik, M., Berelowitz, M., Dhillon, A. P., Thomson, M. A., Harvey, P., Valentine, A., Davies, S. E. & Walker-Smith, J. A. (1998). Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet, 351(9103), 637-641.

5. Murch, S. H., Thomson, M. A., & Walker-Smith, J. A. (1998). Author's reply. Lancet, 351(9106), 908.

6. Horvath, K., Stefanatos, G., Sokolski, K. N., Wachtel, R., Nabors & L. Tildon, J. T. (1998). Improved social and language skills after secretin administration in patients with autistic spectrum disorders. Journal Assoc Acad Minor Phys, 9(1), 9-15.

From the same source as above.

I was doing more reading on Secretin and found this:
http://www.autism.org/secretin.html

Any chance of getting in on one of these studies?

Posts: 1258 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys again. OPL, I may take you up on that if we run into medical obtusness again. Right now we finally have an appointment for next week to do the procedure (finally) since the laxatives didn't work, as I predicted. I just hope it's not too late. [Frown]

I'll pass your sources to my wife! We're big fans of Wakefield and hope he gets through the horrid dirty tricks that the medical "ethics" board is pulling on him in England. (Disapproving his patients' signed consent forms ex post facto because the board didn't approve of Wakefield's conclusions about autism).

-Pete

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone in contact with OPL?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Thing Two was in a very bad mood this morning. Fortunately he's since cheered up. One amusing moment -- I said, "I love you" and he responded [in an angry tone] "I love cheese puffs!"

Kid's got spunk, gotta give him that [Big Grin]

Ikemook
Member # 1519

- posted      Profile for Ikemook   Email Ikemook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that I'm impressed you've managed so far, Pete. I don't know that I could do what you've done, and you've done an incredible job.

I'll keep you, your family, and your son in my thoughts. I hope all ends well with your family.

--David

Posts: 415 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I don't want to use this board as my personal blog, but Msquared very kindly started this wonderful thread some time ago. Even for some time put it up as a sticky for a while, which was an amazing gesture. The kindness and generosity I found here has gotten me through some difficult times. At LR's suggestion some of you chipped in to get us a soy milk maker when Thing Two manifested an alergy to soy milk; we used it for years but it was lost with most everything else in the moves and divorce 2011-2013, and Thing Two is now in state foster care.

--------------------

MOTION FOR NON-REUNIFICATION
Columbia County Courthouse, January 17, 2014.

If you pray, please pray for me and for Thing Two today. In 1 hour I appear before the Columbia County court, a judge that so far has seemed sympathetic and fair. The court will hear the Georgia Department of Family Services motion for NON-REUNIFICATION between Thing Two and his father. The father would be me, Peter C. Nuttall. Today's motion won't *directly* result in the full termination of my parental rights, but will deprive me of my state-appointed counsel and any other resources available to parents that the state wants to reunify with their children.

You won’t believe this, but I will post the documents to prove it: the *only* grounds against me that the state has stated for this motion, or for the imminent motion to terminate my parental rights, relate to poverty. Specifically, the fact that I do not have the resources to purchase a car or a house, but live in a small trailer.

Most horrifically, the Department of Family Services representative told me that my 13 months of continued sobriety, and the fact that their own doctor found that no further treatment for alcoholism was necessary, counts AGAINST me, because they say, it means that I should have dropped out of rehab before my scheduled completion date December 10, 2013 and gotten a job. And I've never used hard drugs such as meth, cocaine, or heroin, etc., so as the state sees it, I have no excuse for not having a car or a house. Georgia Attorneys who deal with the Department of Family Services have told me that the department typically works with an unrehabilitated meth addict for two to three years before motioning to terminate parental rights.

My ex-wife has repeatedly appeared in court with me and unequivocally supports my petition to regain custody of my son. So do Thing One and Thing Three, although they have only appeared once in court to say so. Thing Two has become too strong for Exie to handle alone during his outbursts, but everyone in my family recognizes that I have the the love, the persistence, and the creative adaptation to deal safely with Thing Two. Our other relatives will not take him. He is simply too difficult.
He is difficult, but I want him back.

My wonderful boss wrote a letter for me. Despite a crushing schedule, he took the time to go beyond verifying my employment as Family Services had requested:

“Peter C. Nuttall approached me about work in early December about doing paralegal work for my office. I told him financial constraints and office space prevented me from hiring at this time, but Peter’s persistence, confidence, and experience persuaded me to take him on temporarily to complete an urgent project. Peter’s performance, above expectations and beyond the scope of his original duties (taking over billing and invoices as well as the writing project I had hired him for) made it possible for me to continue his employment. At present, I am paying Peter as an independent contractor at $10/hour, and he has worked variable time ranging from 12 to 32 hours per week. I have watched him work cheerfully under inconvenience, distraction and hardship (frequently being asked to move from the conference room to the kitchen to various temporarily vacant desks) while completing time-sensitive assignments. Peter lives a 90 minute walk away and attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and depends on rides or a 90 minute walk to get here; when he obtains a car I anticipate his working more hours and improved earnings. From my observation, Peter is driven by his goals of working the AA program, attending to his sons [Thing One] and [Thing Two] when they call for help with schoolwork, and becoming independent so that he can care for his son [Thing Two].

Peter’s keen legal mind, aptitude for adaptation, and remarkable eloquence (in his writing even more than in his speech) will take him far when he obtains Georgia Bar credentials and a car. I was dismayed and shocked to hear that the state had filed for nonreunification with Peter, and that the state expressed its intent to file for Termination of Parental Rights later this year. I urge the court to give Peter the time he needs to get on his feet, and any resources that it might order, so that Peter can provide for his son.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at*******”

Another attorney that works in the same office, someone I have come to greatly admire, presented me with her own letter to the Judge. I almost cried.

“I am writing on behalf of Mr. Peter C. Nuttall. I share office space from ***********., and have had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Peter. He is a diligent worker and is more than willing to handle any task that **** has to offer eagerly and additionally is looking forward to possibly handling some paralegal work on my behalf as well.

Peter is looking forward to becoming a productive member of the State Bar of Georgia and I believe he will be an asset to our legal community. I understand that he has some personal issues in the past that he is dealing with, however I can tell you that Peter loves his children with his whole being and is on the path to do whatever is is necessary and possible to become a better father and contributing member of society. …”
Department of Family Services’ motion against my family inadvertently included numerous papers related to at least one other unrelated case, with names of another family’s tragedy mixed in with my own. They also served the motion on the wrong attorney, an error that they have made before and been corrected for in court. (Our previous court-appointed attorney had not answered our calls or shown up for the 2nd court date, so another was appointed.) So our attorney did not receive the paperwork until days ago.

But I see errors as trivial compared to the Department’s decision to move against reunification and its stated intent to permanently sever all of my parental rights, ON THE MERE GROUNDS THAT I AM POOR AND SOBER.

Those of you who pray, please pray for me, for Exie, and Thing Two on this difficult day.

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're in my prayers buddy. I'm a buddhist though, so I hope that doesn't count against you with the big guy. [Smile]

If things go badly today, and then you get un-poor, can whatever happens today be reversed?

Is there anything we can do to help?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I echo joshuaD's sentiments.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My God Pete, I am so sorry. I'll pray for you. Just goes to show you how evil and oppressive progressive government can be when it reaches into families and steals children away from caring parents like you. As if they know better how to care for your children!
Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Yeah, if things go bad today, they can be reversed. The July motion for Termination is the big baddie, and if I lose today, I won't have an attorney to help me. I expect to get un-poor, but family services is stacking the deck against me, by taking my attorney away so I have to pay for one, by asking me to pay them $250/month to keep Thing Two in foster care, but most grievously, by accelerating the timetable to termination to a mere six months. That's not a lot of time to go from here (ten dollars an hour in one job and room and board for my second part time job) to there owning or renting a free-standing house that I can modify to contain Thing Two, while either (a) paying for child care while I work or (b) being so independently wealthy that I can care for him full time.

Accomplishing that in the 6 month timeframe seems like a long shot. The Georgia Bar Exam isn't until July 2014 to begin with, and I haven't even applied since a) there's an application fee b) I'd need to take a preparation course which costs money, c) to even take the test i'd have to (after paying the fee) be evaluated for character and fitness by the Georgia Bar which I am confident I would pass ONLY when I've paid certain fines and remitted fees to clients over two bankruptcy cases where the client dropped the BKs and judges say I need to disgorge the fees. I've had no discipline against me by an bar association. So the only way I could conceivably earn the sort of salary before July 2014 would be if I got a job as a Social Security attorney or an Immigration attorney, since I can do that anywhere with my Nevada bar license.

I've practiced Social Security law with considerable success in Las Vegas, and have applied to every job that's been posted, without getting an interview. I could start up a Social Security Boutique firm but that's more expensive than buying a house and a car put together, since it takes an average of 18 months from when an office starts working on a Social security case to when they get paid, and you need an office, advertising, and staff.

Option Two, Immigration attorney sounds good, but I've seen no local job postings, and I have no training or experience whatsoever in the field ... my one immigration case I discussed back in 2008-09 was in Federal District Court, an unusual lawsuit, not an actual immigration case per se. On the other hand I do speak Spanish fluently and relate well to Hispanics generally and to Mexicans particularly, so one would think I'd be employable. But I applied to a dozen immigration law jobs in Vegas and never got so much as an interview.

Option three, earn the money as a paralegal ... I'm not sure that's possible within the timeframe, but someone since I first posted this already messaged and offered to chip in a thousand on a car, (wow) so independence at least looks good. Furthermore I suspect (hope!) that the current judge would not agree to Termination of Parental rights as early as July. In any event, Option Three is the option I'm persuing since it's the only one in my power.

Option four is win the money in Thing Two's lawsuit. Thing Two's case is in the Vaccine Injury claim system and the prior judge's findings of facts were unequivocally that Thing Two was normal or above normal in all parameters until the day he had the MMR vaccine, and that he declined almost immediately afterwards. Thing Two's case looked bad when he was misdiagnosed with "autism" but since subsequent doctors paying attention to the MRI have corrected that diagnosis to Limbic Encephalopathy, we have a very strong case. Encephalitis (unlike Autism) is a known and established rare side effect of the MMR vaccine; even the MMR vaccine literature recognizes that. Unfortunately the federal attorney for the vaccine injury fund keeps stalling, the government "expert witness" physician keeps going back and forth from conceding that it's not autism to arguing (against all credible medical evidence) that Thing Two is only autistic. The judges have been changed four times, and with the recent change of judges, there's very little chance we see money for another 18 months. The money would provide half a million right off for a custom house and car to care for him, and additional earmarked funds would pay for round the clock care. Nothing for us -- the funds are strictly for Thing Two. The strategy is clearly to delay as long as possible in hope Thing Two will die before the award, thus avoiding expensive treatment. In my most cynical moments I wonder if this motion for nonreunification might have anything to do with the pending lawsuit monies. ...

Option Five is for me to finish and find a publisher for my book "The End of the World is not the End of the World" which I'm told is well-written and fairly gripping. I call it "surreal non-fiction." I've shared some of it with you. It's a big long shot, but conceivably, a publication could help me get a house for Thing Two.

So if anyone has a used old car, or have contacts with a publisher ...

[ January 17, 2014, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister had a novel published for young adults. It's probably a long shot, but get me your transcript and I'll get it to her and ask her to recommend it to her publisher if she thinks its appropriate to do so.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best that can be wished at such a distance.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I do have a car that needs a transmission fluid leak fixed and patches to its running boards to be fully usable, but being in PA doesn't do you a heck of a lot of good even if those could easily be taken care of)
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, best of luck of course. I understand your anguish and also your clear determination to reverse the state of affairs you find yourself in on multiple fronts. Your 13 months of sobriety is a powerful indicator of your good faith efforts to heal yourself and give the best care and attention to your loved ones that you can. I have no influence with "the big guy" either, but you'll be in my thoughts.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hoping for the best, Pete. Stay strong and keep trying.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Thank you all! Great outcome with the judge. I have more time at least.
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear, Pete. We're all pulling for you.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Short version is that I get a new state appointed attorney and more time to respond to the motion. Judge could not rule on motion because my attorney was conflicted representing both of us. When appointment was made court did not realize that Exile and I were DIVORCED. To those following our saga this may be a familiar theme...

The judge appointed the very attorney that had written the 2nd letter. This is very convenient for me because she works out of my employer's office, which means I don't have to get rides down into Augusta.

msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick note. Funean did all the work. At best all I did was stick it to the top of the forum at the time.

Still we will keep you in our prayers Pete.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear it went well. Prayers have been said and heard. Blessings.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimskater
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for jimskater   Email jimskater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, you're in my thoughts. I hope this situation resolves in your favor.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Going back into court tomorrow 2pm on the same topic. Prayers and thoughts appreciated.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got 'em.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope all went well today.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Not well.
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

Raw deal.

Hopefully there's still room for recovery.

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page