Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Enemies Emboldened By Katrina (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enemies Emboldened By Katrina
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the unfortunate side effects of the aftermath of Katrina is that it has revealed to the entire world glaring vulnerabilities in American response and leadership in the face of disaster. Our enemies now know how easily they can strike successfully in the United States against a Homeland Security Department and that is still woefully underprepared four years and hundreds upon hundreds of billions of dollars after 9/11.

In particular, Iran is taking note of those weaknesses and has become even more emboldened against the United States:

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3667

quote:
Iran's Revolutionary Guards have been following closely the way the United States government has been handling Hurricane Katrina, and drawing strategic conclusions from it.

In remarks that appeared on Ansar-e Hezbollah website on Sunday, a top official of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the devastating hurricane had exposed America's vulnerabilities.

"The mismanagement and the mishandling of the acute psychological problems brought about by Hurricane Katrina clearly showed that others can, at any given time, create a devastated war-zone in any part of the U.S.", Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri, the official spokesman of the IRGC, said.

"If the U.S. attacks Iran, each of America’s states will face a crisis the size of Katrina", he said, referring to the massive hurricane which hit the southern coast of the United States. "The smallest mistake by America in this regard will result in every single state in that country turning into a disaster zone".

"How could the White House, which is impotent in the face of a storm and a natural disaster, enter a military conflict with the powerful Islamic Republic of Iran, particularly with the precious experience that we gained in the eight-year war with Iraq?" he said.

Jazayeri said the hurricane havoc showed that "contrary to public perception, the strength of America's leadership is like a balloon, which can easily burst".

The Revolutionary Guards spokesman said the U.S. administration's inability to end the insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan showed the "weakness of America’s defence and state departments, as well as its intelligence and security apparatus".

[ September 14, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: David Ricardo ]

Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it is not good that we are still so unprepared, but if this idiot really thinks his pitiful little country can stand toe to toe with the greatest military the world has ever seen I say we oblige him. We should make a statement and tell Israel to take a break, then bomb Iran back into the stone age. A few tactical nukes and no more whiney ass religious nuts. At least in that part of the world.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for Adjudicator   Email Adjudicator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy sounds like he takes his cues from Iraq's ex-minister of Information.

Katrina shows that we are vulnerable, no question, but I wonder what Iran can do in all American states which approaches the level of a cat5 hurricane?

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but I wonder what Iran can do in all American states which approaches the level of a cat5 hurricane? "

Nuclear bomb?

Oh wait, the EU and the UN are taking care of that for us. Never mind.

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for Adjudicator   Email Adjudicator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50 nuclear bombs?
Posts: 1172 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you guys are strong, but that doesn't mean that if a country is dedicated enough, they couldn't cause a hell of a lot of damage and confusion. You'd win, but it wouldn't be any fun.

And win in this case sounds pretty crappy, too. You'd be alive is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Gotta be thankful for the small things...

[ September 14, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: canadian ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"50 nuclear bombs?"

If you take the hyperbole literally, I suppose. But then again, is 50 bombs such an insurmountable goal for them over the long haul? I wouldn't place any long-term bets on that myself, if they were properly motivated, of course..

But here's one thing that's always amused/troubled me; nations pursuing nuclear weapons are generally doing so as a deterrent to US influence over their government. In essence, it's a means to force the US to take them seriously when they speak.

But then look at their rhetoric: "Fire will rain from the sky" (NK), "each of America’s states will face a crisis the size of Katrina" (Iran). How can we take any nation seriously that speaks this way? And God help them (and us) if we did.

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

Nukes are actually probably the least of our worries, over the long run. Their radioactivity makes them reasonably easy to detect. That means that if/when we get our homeland security in order they ought to only be able to sneak in ten bombs max out of an attempted 50. That means we would only lose the big cities. And after all, isn't that a good thing? It would end the whole red-state blue-state problems in a flash.
Everard
unregistered

Ok, I know you're joking, but thats WAY over the acceptable joke line, in my view, adjudicator.
Adjudicator
Member # 724

quote:
Ok, I know you're joking, but thats WAY over the acceptable joke line, in my view, adjudicator
You are wound too tight, Ev. I give exactly as much credence to the Iranian threat at this point as I do to the seriousness of my post. Besides, I ended it in a clever pun. WHo can argue with a pun?
Everard
unregistered

Stating that millions upon millions of people who largely disagree with you SHOULD die, is not an acceptable joke.

Seriously. It just never is.

And I can argue with puns. I get enough bad ones from my roommate.

Adjudicator
Member # 724

I didn't say that they SHOULD die, just if they happened to get vaporized it would be no big loss. You forgot to notice that important distinction.
Everard
unregistered

Its not a distinction. Good logically implies should.
Animist
Member # 674

- posted      Profile for Animist   Email Animist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, the Iranian is right. Katrina very much exposes the weaknesses in our system, including the very big problem of there being almost no redundancy in our critical infrastructure. I doubt the Iranians could "turn every state in the US into a warzone," but--

Imagine an effective terrorist attack against a real (not symbolic) target right now. We would be crippled. This is a huge problem.

[ September 14, 2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Animist ]

Posts: 461 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

quote:
Its not a distinction. Good logically implies should.
But does indifference imply good?
Everard
unregistered

Nope. Good=good.
Adjudicator
Member # 724

That smacks of tautology to me.
Everard
unregistered

It is. You said it would be a good thing if ten large cities were vaporized. Good contains within its definition "should," so your statement also reads "ten large cities should be vaporized."

There's no indifference there... if X happens, then it is good that X happened, is not an indifferent statement. It logically contains desire for X to happen.

Adjudicator
Member # 724

quote:
It is. You said it would be a good thing if ten large cities were vaporized. Good contains within its definition "should," so your statement also reads "ten large cities should be vaporized."
Your logic is inescapable. I really do think that ten large cities should be vaporized.

Those cities are (in order of preferred vaporization):

1) New York City
2) San Francisco
3) Las Vegas
4) Detroit
5) Newark NJ
6) Los Angeles
7) Chicago
8) Cincinnati
9) Miami
10)Washington DC

The major benefit in destroying these cities would be the removal of the evil liberals located therein from society and the liberation of valuable real estate, after a sufficient time period has passsed, of course.

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator:
quote:
Ok, I know you're joking, but thats WAY over the acceptable joke line, in my view, adjudicator
You are wound too tight, Ev. I give exactly as much credence to the Iranian threat at this point as I do to the seriousness of my post. Besides, I ended it in a clever pun. WHo can argue with a pun?
I can't.

Roberts Hearings

I don't really care about the man's jewellery.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

quote:
I don't really care about the man's jewellery.
I thought it was about a fool and his wool soon parted.
canadian
Member # 1809

By wool, are you talking about the Robert Shearings?
Everard
unregistered

Adjudicator-
As I said, I could tell you were joking. At least, I hope you are. As I also said, joking about the deaths of tens of millions of people as being a good thing is way over the line.

Adjudicator
Member # 724

Canadian- yessirree

Ev- Why is it over the line? I can joke about the deaths of billions of people without batting an eye. As far as I can tell, no one makes it out of this life alive.

[ September 14, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Adjudicator ]

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The major benefit in destroying these cities would be the removal of the evil liberals located therein from society and the liberation of valuable real estate, after a sufficient time period has passsed, of course.
Would it also create more jobs for the suburbs?
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

quote:
Would it also create more jobs for the suburbs?
LOJ- good point. Industry and creativity would be stimulated by the need to develop new employment for the dwellers in the suburbs.
canadian
Member # 1809

The hideous Dwellers of the Suburbs..all that remain in a world destroyed by seemingly innocuous atoms. Wo, be unto man for unleashing the hidden fury!

In theatres Summer 2006.

Everard
unregistered

"Ev- Why is it over the line? I can joke about the deaths of billions of people without batting an eye. As far as I can tell, no one makes it out of this life alive."

Yes, no one makes it out of this life alive. That doesn't mean its a good thing when people die a violent death, and suggesting that it is, especially joking about it by suggesting that its a good thing because of their political views, is, at least from my perspective, disgusting, inhumane, indecent, insensitve, excessively divisive, tasteless, and offensive.

Some jokes are appropriate, some are not. When you don't know how a joke will be received, then its probably not appropriate for the situation you are in.

I'm surprised you can't see this. I'm saddened by it, too.

Digger
Member # 2341

We only come out on weekends to mow.
Adjudicator
Member # 724

Ev- violence and death are funny, too. In fact, they are funny enough that we have invented a name for them: Black Humor
Everard
unregistered

Yes, black humor can be funny. Suggesting that it would be a good thing if people die, is not an appropriate form of humor, when you're talking to people whose death you are suggesting is a good thing.
Adjudicator
Member # 724

Ah, now we get down to it. You have ulterior motives in opposing metropolitan vaporization. If you consider for a moment I am sure that you will agree that your opinion isn't really valid as you are prejudiced in this case.
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The hideous Dwellers of the Suburbs..
How Lovecraftian...
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

**** you.
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adjudicator, can you please check your Ornery email?

Thanks.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

Jav- nothing in my e-mail. Did you include the _ between my first and last name? That bit is masked by the underline on the link.
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator:
Jav- nothing in my e-mail. Did you include the _ between my first and last name? That bit is masked by the underline on the link.

Probably not. I'll drop you a line via PM on Concord.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

Ev- perhaps some clarification is in order. My original intent was to gently mock the security (or lack thereof) that we have in place against the real threat of a terrorist attack.

What I interpreted as over-earnestness on your part led me to rattle your chain a bit.

As a general rule, I agree with you that making jokes of horrible tragedies is in poor taste.

Everard
unregistered

It helps if you know that I can't tell a joke without physical cues.
canadian
Member # 1809

Even fictional tragedies, apparently. No more speculative sci-fi allowed. It's in poor taste.

[Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page