Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » NYTimes to begin charging for editorials...any takers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NYTimes to begin charging for editorials...any takers?
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO

Beginning Monday, the New York Times will charge $49.95 per year or $7.95 per month for online readers to access 22 columnists including Maureen Dowd, Paul Krugman, Bob Herbert, David Brooks and Frank Rich.

Any Ornerians lining up with their credit card and PIN numbers? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adjudicator
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for Adjudicator   Email Adjudicator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newspapers have a tough row to hoe with the advent of the internet. People are used to getting their news immediately, and for free. I don't think that this approach will generate much revenue, but essentially it is an attempt to get money for something which differentiates the NYT from other papers.
Posts: 1172 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't need to. My wife subscribes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't need to either. I haven't read the NYT in a generation.

This is the newspaper that said Let's Give Hitler a Chance.

Read the London Times. Read The Economist. Read The Times Literary Review.

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an effort to save any gullible Ornerians some of their money, I offer the Condensed version of some of the NYTimes most popular Columinsts...as a free preview!

I'll use Hurricane Katrina as the issue du jour...but feel free to apply the template to any issue of the day, and save yourself some money.

Your welcome. [Wink]

--------------------

MAUREEN DOWD: Hurricane Kyototrina foisted the ultimate fashion faux pas on New Orleans when she blew through the Gulf Coast like Brad Pitt blew through he and Jennifer Aniston's love life. It was the perfect harmonic convergence of a bad hairday and the worst aspects of pre-menstrual syndrome cramps made all the more worse by the Bushies and Rummy's racism and total war on the environment. Look no further than Bush's recent press conference:

"The poor people of New Orleans...should understand that... they are sufferin'...because...they're...black...and I will....not....take responsiblity for the failures of the Federal Government to respond quickly enough."

Will Bush make it worse by cutting the funds to the recovery efforts as he does to women's domestic violence shelters? We must never forget that multi-millionaire gangsta rapper Kanye West is black, so when speaking of poor black New Orlean citizens hit hardest by Kyototrina, he has absolute moral authority when he tells us that Bush hates blacks.

PAUL KRUGMAN: This is yet again another instance of Bush and the neo-conservative cabal's disastrous outcome that invariably happens when their policies and proposals once again demonstrate contempt for the wisest ideas ever promulgated by the greatest collection of intellectuals in the country - Princeton Keynesian Economists. That idea is the common sense and 99% percent poll-tested and supported view that the government must help the poorest and most disadvantaged citizens. Instead, we are forced to once again contend with the inevitable results of the heartless, evil outcome of the neo-con cabal when an administration foists unneccesary and destructive tax cuts for the rich and imperial wars to benefit their rich oil buddies and Halliburton shareholders. The Federal Government could have been the ultimate rescue and relief agency the instant Katrina struck, were it not for the depeleted resources of our National Guard and other benevolent agencies wasted in unneccessary wars for oil in the Middle East. Since I'm a renowned economist, you must not question my credentials or doubt my wisdom on geo-political issues, bureaucratic inertia, or anything else for that matter. Just take my highly educated and erudite word for it, I know better than you: Bush is BAD.

THOMAS FRIEDMAN: As I've spent all but 3 months, 4 days, 35 minutes and 29 seconds of my life immersed in Middle Eastern culture, I offer a unique perspective on the unfolding tragedy in the Gulf States in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina by comparing it to the other tragedy of another Gulf area - Iraq. Despite an ever-escalating and inevitably victorius insurgency of Iraqi muslims, this administration has failed to recognize it's opportunities for progress due to his cultural ignorance and his expressions of hubristic, Western-styled arrogance. Just as Democracy may just not be a part of the Arabic cultural mindset, this administration's ability to react and respond adequately to this natural disaster is obviously a manifestation of it's own shortcomings of their own political and cutlural mindset.

DAVID BROOKS: Hurricane Katrina offers us the opportunity to re-examine the nomination of Judge Roberts to the Supreme Court and how he would view the role of Federalism, Conservatism and the appropriate roles each plays in response to National Disasters. Finding the right tone to appeal to the broad cross section of moderates, centrists and just-left of center that is the majority of this countries voters will be the key for Bush to achieve success in future Judicial Nominations....

---------------------------

I can do more if you guys sign up for my new online subscription for Daruma28's editorials...and it will only be $48.95 per year or $6.95 per month. [Razz]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the NYT pretty regularly, but mostly because it is free, I won't mind reading the Washington Post or the LATimes instead.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Pultizers has the U.S. News and World Report won? Times of London is the premeir English-language paper, NYT is the best printed in the U.S. I hear Le Monde is better than either, but I can only read it in translation. For the record, all chanals of tv news suck.
Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

I nominate Pelegius to be the recipient of the Jayson Blair Award for Journalistic Integrity for his valient defense of the NYT's honesty and integrity from the right wing attack machine!
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daruma, from your prespective, The Daily Telagraph probably looks liberal. The New York Times is slightly liberal for a U.S. paper, but then the U.S. is a very conservative country.
Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

Slightly liberal? The US is a very conservative country?

lmao

Are you going to buy a subscription Pelegius?

Afterall, you wouldn't miss out on all that Pulitzer-worthy editorial opinion pieces....

Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Bugmenot.com will still work?
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

Look at a graph of world leaders, Mr Bush is pretty far to the right, and all leaders are right-wing.
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NYTimes to begin charging for editorials...any takers?
I can editorialize here for free. Why would I pay the NYT?
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
Look at a graph of world leaders, Mr Bush is pretty far to the right, and all leaders are right-wing.

Only if you pick the world leaders. The world includes more than Europe, Pelegius. Take a closer look at Asia. At South America. At Africa. The Middle East. The Pacific Islands. Australia. These places DO have governments, you know.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The New York Times has turned into a horrible newspaper in the last several years. There is little to no reason to subscribe to it anymore, unless you happen to live in New York.
Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Krugman's the only one worth the pulp he's printed on. Plus, it make me feel warm and fuzzy to ignore the Nations Newspaper of Record, even though in actuality that's the Washington Post.

I think Daruma is right, Bush is probably slightly on the left, worldwide. At least if my imprecise politicomath is correct.
Thank you, Turkman Bashi. Appreciate your help, new Iranian guy.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "the US is slightly conservative compared to countries who play nice/are willing to talk to us/matter"?
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philnotfil:
How about "the US is slightly conservative compared to countries who play nice/are willing to talk to us/matter"?

You mean "the US is slightly conservative compared to the following countries, which I will pick to illustrate my point:".

[ September 15, 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about, "the U.S. is conservative compared to other countries where it isn't against the law to be liberal"? I will concede that Saudi Arabia is more conservative.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Do you understand that your need to hedge the statement just goes to show how wrong the original statement was? And points to a level of utility that well, isn't?

If you have to hedge it, then it's not truly useful to say "the US is conservative compared to the rest of the world, if you take this caviat and then this one, and this one", unless the caviats themselves are part of point.

philnotfil
Member # 1881

Conservative compared to countries like us?

Conservative compared to countries not run by dictators?

Conservative compared to countries where being different is a crime?

Conservative compared to countries where conservative and liberal are choices?

Sometimes qualifications are helpful, sometimes they aren't.

Pelegius
Member # 2399

Conservative compared to countries that are actually democracies. Obviously, comparing Saudi Arabia to the U.S. is silly, they have nothing in common. Well, besides the fact that they are joined in a sick marriage of connivence wherein one allows horrible human rights abuses in exchange for the other selling them oil, lots of oil. Other than that....

Among democracies, the U.S., Israel, Italy and Australia are the most conservative; France, Canada and Germany are more liberal. South Africa used to be by far the most liberal, but the current leaders of the ANC are disturbingly authoritarian. http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page