Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Dead Cat bio-diesel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dead Cat bio-diesel
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/09/14/germany.catfuel.reut/index.html

Aside from the fun image this article creates, there's an interesting question here.

Just how far should we go to solve our oil crisis, and to what lengths will we go?

[ September 14, 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Kosmic_Fool ]

Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just how far should we go to solve our oil crisis, and to what lengths will we go?
If it works with cats, I am sure it works with homeless people too.

Hey, you asked what lengths. [Wink]

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"You have a car. You dropped my cat. You have a car."

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like cats, I've got 6 of them (long story).

But millions of cats are put to death every year, in large part because of selfish scumbags who don't sterilize their pets.

If they're going to die anyway, why not make use out of them?

On the other hand, if we actually had a use for them, it wouldn't do much to encourage sterilization, would it? Why work hard to keep the cats from breeding, if it makes your gas prices go up?

On the other hand, it's not like we seem to be making much headway reducing pet overpopulation anyway.

But I'd rather not encourage kitty deaths.

So, if cats can be used for fuel, they should *only* be used to offset fuel costs for humane societies.

Just like cigarette taxes should *only* go to anti-smoking programs and health care for smoking-related diseases, not into the general treasury.

When you get a benefit from something bad, you have to make sure the benefit only goes to eliminating the bad thing, otherwise you have no motive to eliminate the bad thing. Whereas when you close off negative and positive results in a feedback loop, you can perhaps eventually eliminate the bad thing altogether, and the fact that the income from it dried up won't matter.

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was some of my thought, in that, taken to its logical conclusion, using dead cats for fuel seems like it would create a situation where cats would be bred simply for use in fuel: cat farms. [Smile]

I would like to know exactly what aspects of dead cats make them so good for fuel.

Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My beagles like the idea. My cats however are viewing my command that they "Go play in the street more." with renewed suspicion.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redskullvw said:
quote:
My beagles like the idea. My cats however are viewing my command that they "Go play in the street more." with renewed suspicion.
Cats view all commands with suspicion - that's not much of an indicator [Smile]

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we came up with "roadkill" fuel we'd have a closed system.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnLocke
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JohnLocke   Email JohnLocke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will never breed cats for fuel because it's definitely a net energy loss.

We ought to mandate the collection of all carbon waste products for TDP uses. No one should get paid for it except the workers.

Of course, where the use and storage of energy is concerned, 'should' & 'ought' are pretty far from the American mind.

Posts: 663 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JohnLocke -

I disagree. If the administration (either the Bush Administration or the one that takes it's place) makes it a priority and a patriotic duty, carbon product recycling could happen.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnLocke
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JohnLocke   Email JohnLocke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, where the use and storage of energy are is concerned, 'If' and 'could' pretty much ARE the American mind.
Posts: 663 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This German is claiming he just invented thermodepolymerization. Hilarious.

[ September 16, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this cat story has made more people angry than, say, the situation in the Sudan has? Talk about doing something to pets, the whole world goes crazy.

Hey, how many people here who believe in Heaven think that their dogs and cats will be with them there? Because I think a lot of Christian denominations hold that only humans have souls...

[ September 16, 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Omega M. ]

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

My pets who are no more, who I dearly loved, will not be with me in heaven (assuming I make it there). While I loved them, and anthropomorphized them, they were animals and did not have souls.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This German is claiming he just invented thermodepolymerization. Hilarious.

Not neccessarily. The current issue of Make magazine shows you how to brew your own biodiesel...sort of the same result, though.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnLocke
Member # 68

Mormegil, why would you "assume" your admission into heaven as if you couldn't substantiate that eventuality while at the same time be completely sure of the fact that animals are not going to be there when/if you arrive?

And even if you're correct that there are indeed souls and that animals don't have them, would that not make their deaths all the more tragic?

Mormegil
Member # 2439

I'm not sure I understand your first question.

As for the second question I don't know that I'd call it tragic. It is what it is. We enjoy our animal companions while they are here, and remember them when they are gone. They don't live forever, but neither do any of them end up in hell.

There are times I longed for true oblivion myself, but I will never have it. Which is more tragic?

halfhaggis
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for halfhaggis   Email halfhaggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh please can this thread degenerate into another theological debate.
Pretty pretty please...

Posts: 101 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page