Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Thirteen Most Corrupt Members of Congress

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Thirteen Most Corrupt Members of Congress
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 Challnged Over Ethics

TO all the uber-partisans on either side...the next time you get all santimonious and self-righteous about how the OTHER side is the one that is corrupt, take a second and recall that neither party has a monopoly on virtue or malfeasance.

Republicrats or Democans...equal opportunity corruption.

quote:
The 13 congressional figures recommended for investigation by the watchdog group are:

• Sen. Frist, R-Tenn.: The report accused him of violating federal campaign-finance laws in how he disclosed a campaign loan. It also called for an inquiry over his recent sale of stock in HCA, his family's hospital corporation. The sale has raised questions about possible insider dealing. Frist aides confirmed Friday that the SEC is investigating.

• Rep. Blunt, R-Mo.: He was criticized for trying to insert provisions into bills that in one case would have benefited a client of his lobbyist son and, in the other case, the employer of his lobbyist girlfriend, now his wife.

• Sen. Burns: Questions arose over $3 million in appropriations he earmarked for a Michigan tribal client of lobbyist Abramoff. The senator received substantial campaign contributions from Abramoff and various clients.

• Rep. Ney: The chairman of the House Administration Committee went on a golf outing to Scotland in 2002 arranged by Abramoff at a time when the congressman was trying to insert a provision into legislation to benefit one of Abramoff's tribal clients. The tribe arranged for funds to pay a portion of the trip.

But Ney reported to the House that the trip was paid entirely by the National Center for Public Policy Research, a conservative think tank that denied paying any of the costs.

• Rep. Feeney: He incorrectly reported that a golf outing to Scotland with Abramoff in 2003 was paid for by the National Center for Public Policy Research, which denied it. A Feeney aide said the Congressmen was misled

• Rep. Pombo: He paid his wife and brother $357,325 in campaign funds in the last four years. He also supported the wind-power industry before the Department of Interior without disclosing that his parents received hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties from wind-power turbines on their ranch.

• Rep. Waters: The report cites a December 2004 Los Angeles Times investigation disclosing how members of the congresswoman's family have made more than $1 million in the past eight years by doing business with companies, candidates and causes that Waters has helped.

• Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa.: The senator encountered controversy over disclosures that local Pennsylvania taxpayers paid for his children's schooling while they lived in Virginia. Santorum maintained he did nothing wrong, and he has since pulled his children out of the school, according to news reports.

• Reps. Cunningham and Jefferson: Both are under federal investigation. Cunningham, who has announced he will not run for re-election, faces questions over his dealings with a defense contractor who allegedly overpaid him when he purchased Cunningham's house. Jefferson is under scrutiny for his role in an overseas business deal.

• Rep. Charles Taylor, R-N.C.: Questions have been raised about his private business interests, including a savings and loan in Asheville and business interests in Russia.

• Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, R-Colo., and Rep. Rick Renzi, R-Ariz.: Musgrave was accused of misusing her congressional office for campaign purposes. Renzi was accused of financing portions of his 2002 campaign with improper loans.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are just the underlings that got caught. Do you really think the big power brokers got there by being straight? Any of them?

I know it sounds really cynical, but I bet the list of straight senators is as long as this list.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lewkowski
Member # 2028

- posted      Profile for Lewkowski   Email Lewkowski       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um since when has being accused of something made some unethical.

If I were to say : "Drauma28 you have cheated on your income tax returns, and you did some insider trading"

Wow go join that list of 13.

Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Loki   Email Loki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Renzi sucks, I live here, I know.
Posts: 311 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the ones that don't say Republican after their names Democrats?
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that Cunningham is Republican (he's a local representative), so at least not for him.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw this list the other day. I can't recall for certain, but if it is the same list, there were 12 Republicans and 1 Democrat on it.

Kind of killed it for me as far as being a bipartisan review.

Edited to add: A ha! Found it. Is this the same list?
http://www.citizensforethics.org/press/pressclip.php?view=672

[ September 29, 2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Digger ]

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see here, there are 535 members of Congress...I'd bet at least 500 of them are corrupt in some manner or another. It's the nature of the beast (and yes, I'm VERY cynical when it comes to politicians).
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are almost all Republicans.
Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think I saw this list the other day. I can't recall for certain, but if it is the same list, there were 12 Republicans and 1 Democrat on it.

Kind of killed it for me as far as being a bipartisan review."

Or perhaps republicans really are more likely to be corrupt? [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smirk*

Yep, those Republicrats/Demopublicans are always the most corrupt .

[ September 29, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Or perhaps republicans really are more likely to be corrupt?"

[Smile]

It's a pretty common tactic for the party out of power to accuse the party in power of corruption. And it isn't always unfounded. Being in power provides ample opportunity for corruption (not that being out of power prevents such opportunities), and finding out that humans are human usually doesn't require too much digging.

Gingrich used this tactic pretty effectively during the 'Republican Revolution' in the mid-90's.

I'm wondering if the Democrats are looking to make corruption charges a significant part of the '06 elections. An effort to whip up a 'throw the bums out' mentality, if you will.

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd probably be reasonably effective. They need to get moving on it though.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's a pretty common tactic for the party out of power to accuse the party in power of corruption.
Just to add in -- I think it's easier for the party in power to be more corrupt just due to greater control of money/resources, etc.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gr8fulreader
Member # 2600

- posted      Profile for gr8fulreader   Email gr8fulreader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A.Alzabo: sure thing, it is easy. Suggested route of investigation:
Bush->Chaney->Iraq->Halliburton ...
Bush->Chaney->Katrina/Rita relief effort->Halliburton ...

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by gr8fulreader:
A.Alzabo: sure thing, it is easy. Suggested route of investigation:
Bush->Chaney->Iraq->Halliburton ...
Bush->Chaney->Katrina/Rita relief effort->Halliburton ...

Wrong people. But keep that up - it'll keep the corrupt Republicans in power - and since Bush & Cheney are gone after this term - it'll be completely useless. Go team!

(hint - think Congress, where the corruption matters right now)

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But keep that up - it'll keep the corrupt Republicans in power - and since Bush & Cheney are gone after this term - it'll be completely useless. Go team!

As the liberal Bob Somerby says: "Born to lose!".
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gr8fulreader
Member # 2600

- posted      Profile for gr8fulreader   Email gr8fulreader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Javelin - one does not cancel another.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
I don't think he means they'll "cancel". Trust me, I think there's been a lot of graft with Halliburton -- but even the greatest of successes in exposing that corruption focuses squarely on two "decoys". The Dems need to pick their battles more wisely -- taking down Cheney would be a Pyrrhic victory as other more important battles (congress) went unfought.
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:

It blunts the effectiveness when you go for multiple targets - with one of the targets being useless. In all seriousness - I'm trying to help. I'm a conservative, not a Republican - and I hate corruption. I'd like to see every corrupt politician nailed to the wall. So, focus, Pinky, focus.
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by A. Alzabo:
quote:
I don't think he means they'll "cancel". Trust me, I think there's been a lot of graft with Halliburton -- but even the greatest of successes in exposing that corruption focuses squarely on two "decoys". The Dems need to pick their battles more wisely -- taking down Cheney would be a Pyrrhic victory as other more important battles (congress) went unfought.
Said much better than I did myself [Smile]
gr8fulreader
Member # 2600

ok, I stand corrected as far as priorities. Let's go after congress.

I find it interesting that you seem to sense a need to separate "republican" and conservative". Is that the beginning of a trend? Like before word "liberal" was so abused in political circles it became a curse.

javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
ok, I stand corrected as far as priorities. Let's go after congress.

I find it interesting that you seem to sense a need to separate "republican" and conservative". Is that the beginning of a trend? Like before word "liberal" was so abused in political circles it became a curse.

It is definitely a trend right now. I hope that it will change again in the future, meaning that I hope the Republican party will be reclaimed by the conservatives - but at the moment - the Republican party doesn't stand for my believes on how the government should be run. The only party that does, actually, is the Concord Party. If you visit the site, it'll quickly become obvious why that party can represent me [Smile] .
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
...Concord Party...
It supersonic!
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by A. Alzabo:
quote:
...Concord Party...
It supersonic!
Well, we got to get it off the ground first.. but we are close! [Big Grin]
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Alzabo, why haven't YOU been to visit?

C'mon, you know you want to!

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on' Jav, you know you need to credit the phrase "Demopublican" to Tom Bailey [Big Grin]
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Hey, if the orbonics doesn't already do so, let me know - I'll add it! [Smile]
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republicans can't be corrupt, they have values. This is obviously a plot by the evil liberal media.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

Wait, that isn't outrageous enough, Lew said just about the same thing, no one will know that it was satire. [Smile]

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page