Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Utahns (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Utahns
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh -- something else you should know about Utah? PATRIOTISM. Sometimes scary-patriotic [Big Grin]

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3143940

quote:
Bellwether state: Utah has shouldered more than its share of mobilizations. Shortly after the terrorist attacks on the U.S., Utah led the nation when more than 80 percent of its forces were placed on alert or mobilized. Those early deployments have resulted in Utah Guard members serving more tours than their counterparts nationwide.
Nationally, of the nearly 500,000 Guard and reservists deployed since September 2001, only about 76,600 have been called up twice - and all but 2,200 of them volunteered for a second tour, according to the Pentagon. And nearly one-third of the volunteers - for both Guard and reserves - listed a Utah address.
In Utah, not all soldiers deployed twice are volunteers. The 222nd Artillery Battalion, with 500 soldiers, has been ordered to serve two tours, first stateside and now in Iraq. At least 30 percent of the respondents to the Tribune survey had served a second tour.
"Because Utah is further along in deployments, we're the canary in that so goes Utah, so goes other states," said Tarbet. "We're seeing the challenges that hit us first - getting a job back, readjusting to families, post-traumatic stress. We're a cut above but we're not an anomaly."
Currently, guardsmen and reservists comprise 25 percent of U.S. forces in Afghanistan and 40 percent in Iraq. Part-time citizen soldiers also have suffered one-quarter of all U.S. deaths since the Iraq war began in 2003 but the proportion has grown in relation to the regular force. For the first nine months of 2005 reservists accounted for 36 percent of U.S. deaths, and for August and September it was 56 percent, according to Pentagon figures.
In the age of an all-volunteer Army, how long America's guardsmen and reservists will continue serving multiple deployments as death numbers climb is a national security concern. The Pentagon has indicated that Guard members can expect a call-up every five years.
More deployments are on the mind of Sgt. Scott Faddis as he decides how long he'll stay in the Guard. Faddis, 27, is the kind of mid-level veteran whom analysts worry the U.S. military may be losing. His nine years of service aren't enough to guarantee he'll stay for the next 11 years when he's eligible for retirement.
"A small percentage of us are taking this on for the whole country," said Faddis, who returned in April from a yearlong stint in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and is facing the prospect of duty in Iraq. "It's like 1 percent of the people are in the position of being shot at multiple times on multiple deployments."

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just when I was getting comfortable with Utah, this...

Utah judge with 3 wives fights for job

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the judge is a polygamist, he's just a guy with a wife and two other significant others. He and the extra two were only "sealed" in the fringe group's temple which, IIRC, isn't enough to be a legal marriage in most/all states. So he's just a polyfidelious fellow and should be left alone and his arrangement not disparaged, at least not while adulterers roam free.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Steed legally married his first wife in 1965, according to court documents. The second and third wives were married -- or "sealed" as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints refers to it -- to him in religious ceremonies in 1975 and 1985.

The three women are biological sisters and no one in the family was expecting that the second and third marriages would be civilly recognized.

I don't have a comment on legal issues or whether he should keep his job. I'm just saying it is a little odd to marry each of three sisters with a decade between ceremonies.

Me: Hey, Judge Steed, what's going on?

Judge: Hi, neighbor.

Me: Your wife was looking for you earlier.

Judge: Which one?

Me: [Confused]

[ November 02, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: The Drake ]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every SO is entitled to a honeymoon period [Smile]
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zyne:
I don't think the judge is a polygamist, he's just a guy with a wife and two other significant others. He and the extra two were only "sealed" in the fringe group's temple which, IIRC, isn't enough to be a legal marriage in most/all states. So he's just a polyfidelious fellow and should be left alone and his arrangement not disparaged, at least not while adulterers roam free.

Zyne, you've confused bigamy with polygamy.

The situation you described describes all Pligs.

The ones jailed a century ago were all the same -- legally married to one wife, and the rest of them "sealed" in private religious ceremonies WITHOUT seeking any kind of legal recognition.

(In Utah, polygamy as a crime is folded into "bigamy," so your confusion is understandable).

[ November 02, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

Please, knit them out for me. Or us, if anyone else cares. I thought the bad act would be marrying more than one person before the eyes of the law. Do the eyes of the law also presume to judge marriage before the eyes of god?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by Zyne:
Please, knit them out for me. Or us, if anyone else cares. I thought the bad act would be marrying more than one person before the eyes of the law. Do the eyes of the law also presume to judge marriage before the eyes of god?

Yes, Zyne, they do. And your friends at People for the American Way say McConnell's a dangerous religious extremist for saying that Reynolds was wrongfully decided, and that the state shouldn't have the right to judge religious marriage.

That's what "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" meant when the courts appropriated it from Jefferson and stuck it into American constitutional discourse in Reynolds. It meant that the MORALS of federal law superceded the morals of religion. Read the case, and then read People for the American Way's explanation of why it's absolutely critical that we uphold Reynolds.

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
I don't have a comment on legal issues or whether he should keep his job. I'm just saying it is a little odd to marry each of three sisters with a decade between ceremonies.

Well, the sisters thing is easy to explain: minimize the number of mothers-in-law.
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Heh, that's an excellent point, PS.
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 mother-in-laws? <shudder> Now that is scary.
Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, the sisters thing is easy to explain: minimize the number of mothers-in-law.
Well, if the sisters came from a polygamist family, too, (which is probably likely) then they may not have had the same mother.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, if the sisters came from a polygamist family, too, (which is probably likely) then they may not have had the same mother.
Which means, when he married his first wife, he may have gotten 3 mothers-in-law right off the bat. [Eek!]

He probably figured, "What the heck, I got the mothers-in-law all ready..."

^ ^
[Big Grin]

[ November 03, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

I just thought of something. Three anniversaries, three birthdays. OMG.

I hope they were triplets and they got married on the same day of the year. [Smile]

The Drake
Member # 2128

I've just accepted a position and will be moving to Utah.

No immediate plans to acquire 1 or more wives.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats from me too, on the job. Btw, I notice most of these pligs are out south and a bit to the east of St. George, around the border. In SLC, you're not likely to encounter that issue :-P

Hope you enjoy it up there. & best of luck to you. I grew up in the west SLC area though I haven't really lived there in 10 years after graduating H.S., just moved to southern Utah from the LA area myself, for a new job.

Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

I hear there are a fair number of Californians migrating into Utah.
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half of Utah has come from California in the last twenty years.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page