Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Your Song (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your Song
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspired by Refugees quote thread, I was wondering what everyone's song is? You know, either you and your significant other's song (think Casablanca), or your personal theme song.

Stacy and my song is "Young Love" by Winnona Judd.

Twice we went to the abortion clinic and twice that song came on in the parking lot, and I couldn't do it. Sometimes I think about writing her a letter and thanking her.

Oh, my theme song is: "I fought the law, & the law won."

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ours is:

"I Useta Lover" by the Sawdoctors.

Which, if you haven't heard it, is an excellent song that you should go and find immediately. We had it played at our wedding as we were walking out.

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kosmic_Fool
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Kosmic_Fool   Email Kosmic_Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now:

"Have a nice day" by Bon Jovi.

For a bunch of older guys, they can really sing one heck of a teen anthem. [Smile]

[ November 08, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Kosmic_Fool ]

Posts: 177 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine and Nirit's - "I'm thinking about your body" by Us3. We came out of the "Hupa" (the actual "i now pronounce you" part of the ceremony) to James Brown's "I Feel Good".

Mine personally, there are several, depending on frame of mind. Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider", Warren Haynes' "Just Before the Bullets Fly", Native's "Digging Holes", and also "The Sea".

Us3's "Lazy Day" is a big anthem at our house [Smile]

[ November 08, 2005, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeBussy's Arabesque No. 2.

My wife was learning to play that on the piano at college and we both loved the way is sounded. She sent me a cassett tape with that song on it and I played it until it broke.

It was even played at our wedding.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a big fan of The Smiths for a long time. Too bad they can't get together for a new album or a tour but they hate each other these days. Lately I've been listening to Unloveable a lot because, well thats how I feel most days. LOL

quote:
I know I'm unloveable
You don't have tpo tell me
I don't have much in my life

But I also absolutely love the song Asleep as well.

quote:
Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I'm tired and I
I want to go to bed

There is something to be said about the combination of happy music created by Johnny Marr and the dreadfully meloncholy lyrics written by Morrisey that appeals to me.

Edited by OrneryMod for lyrics

[ November 09, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we have one, but the closest we've got is "Steve the Egg" from "Dave the Barbarian."

quote:
I knew an egg by the name of Steve,
laid by a moo-cow I believe.
Wore pants, suspenders, and a tie,
only washed his face on the fifth of July.

Edited by OrneryMod for lyrics.

[ November 09, 2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaulana nâ pua a`o Hawai`i

Kaulana nâ pua a`o Hawai`i
Kûpa`a mahope o ka `âina
Hiki mai ka `elele o ka loko `ino
Palapala `ânunu me ka pâkaha

Translation:

Famous are the children of Hawai`i
Ever loyal to the land
When the evil-hearted messenger comes
With his greedy document of extortion
their land

This song is the anthem for the generations of Hawaiians disenfranchised and overthrown by American Sugar Plantation owners that siezed power and pushed for annexation to end the US tariffs on their sugar.

Many native Hawaiians urged the Queen to if not lead a rebellion, to at least publicly support one so that the people could regain control of their land. Lili'uokalani instead trusted in the just and righteous ideals espoused in the US Constitution and Declaration of Independance and urged her people to remain peaceful and appeal to the moral consciousness of America. She made this decision because President Grover Cleveland had backed up her plea to restore her sovereign government.

Unfortunately for Hawaiians, Cleveland did not win re-election, and the lobbyists for the pro-sugar plantation owners won more seats and influence in congress with pro-annexation candidates, who than disregarded Cleveland's Executive order to restore the Monarchy and than pushed for annexation.

There is still a lot of bitterness in Hawaiians today...but it is also an interesting dichotomy as many Hawaiians also consider themselves patriotic Americans. Many Hawaiians today are actively involved in civic Government and serve in the military (many of my family members have served in every major American conflict since WWI - just like most Hawaiian families to this day have a long line of ancestors that similarly served America -- despite a sense of bitter resignation at the past injustice to our people.)

Most Hawaiians recognizes the moral truth in the ideals of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independance, but still recognize that special interest Americans subverted those ideals to overthow a Internationally recognized Government and sieze power for financial intersts.

Kaulana Na Pua was written in 1893 while the Queen was under house arrest for "treason" and the Royal Hawaiian Band protested the overthrow and takeover.

To this day it brings Hawaiians to their feet whenever it is performed at any musical/hula event.

Edited by OrneryMod for lyrics.

[ November 09, 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Reminds me of "Guantanamera". I love, love, that song.

KE

tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for a personal theme song i would have to pick rage against the machines "killing in the name of"

unless i was feeling sociable that is. then i would probably go with pepper and "give it up"

quote:
verse 1: Its been a while since I've seen your face, got to say that I'm happy to see you come around my place. Now I think we've talked about it and I think I know what's coming up next, lets put our minds away and let our hormones do the rest. Does it seem obscene, does it seem like a bad thing. Well if it is I'm sorry miss, but you know I'm just 19. So don't be afraid when my pants start to leak, you know damn well I'm in my sexual peak.

chorus: Why don't you have some dirty hot sex with me. It aint like I'm askin ya to give it up for free. We can start it right now baby get on you knees, don't make me beg again girl I just said please.

verse 2: Now when you look down don't be misled. I found my lifes purpose and its getting up stairs into your bed. Well theres the phone girl go right on ahead. I'm sure youd rather be with your stupid boyfriend instead.

SHORT SKIT

bridge: Why you gotta sleep with my dad?

CHORUS

chorus 2: Baby get on your knees oh yeah....I'm beggin you darlin please. oh yeah oh yeah please...please...please me.....

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Varies by mood:

Colorful: Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, esp. the first movement.

Angsty: Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah.

Normal: Anything by Tom Lehrer.

Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medtner: Vergessene Weisen
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have individual favorite songs for specific moods and situations.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imperial March.
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Princes of the Universe" - Queen

quote:
Here we are, born to be kings
We're the princes of the universe
Here we belong, fighting to survive
In a war with the darkest powers

http://elvis.rowan.edu/~klassen/songs_and_quotes/princes.html

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine and my wife's is either "At Last" or an indie rock ballad called "Untitled" by Domestic Problems, a band from Grand Rapids. As I look at this, I note neither song is too much in the lyrics department, but the voices carry them.

We walked into our wedding reception to the song from "Pulp Fiction" I always think of as 'Zed's Theme.'

The song I'm loving most right now is "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Thin Lizzy. The Smashing Pumpkins do a great version, too. Yesterday at work, I listened to Black Sabbath's first album, Sugar's "File Under Easy Listening" Lynrrd Skynrd's Greatest Hits and A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Travels ...etc" and the Replacements "Tim" So I can't really nail myself down to well.

Zyne, for shame, "Halleluajah" only works with Leonard Cohen rasping it out. Speaking of that, I've been listening a Tom Waits song "Trampled Rose" a lot.

Dan

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to put a damper on things but I am going to ask the members not to post all the lyrics of the songs they like. There was a thread on Hatrack like this and there are copyright rules involved. You can list a few verses or stanzas but not the whole song or even large portions of the song.

Since I am not sure of the exact rules I will check with the Cards. I KNOW they know the rules.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k, sorry
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvanWeeks
Member # 883

- posted      Profile for EvanWeeks   Email EvanWeeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm...

I love "Anna Begins" and "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows. Actually, there's little they do that I -don't- love.

Tool's "Forty-Six and 2", "Aenima", "Schism" and "Grudge" are all favorites, as well as A Perfect Circle's "3 Libras", "Pet" and "Fiddle and the Drum" from their latest album.

Hm... hardcore stuff would include Dimmu Borgir's "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" and "Lepers Among Us", and probably Opeth's "Master's Apprentice". Good stuff, very heavy.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby and I were high school sweethearts. We dated 1.5 years in HS, again when I was in college, finally married when I was 30. Our song, picked at ages 16 and 18, is "Open Arms," by Journey.

We married on the beach in Grand Cayman. No music there, no reception. But the videographer added music -- a calypso/reggae instrumental version of "Can't Help Falling in Love." Rather apt, we think.

Tempting to think of a personal song. It may occupy much of my free time as I think of the possibilities.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, it's the voice ... I'd've followed Buckley anywhere.
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New wife and I walked out to "Mrs. Robinson" (6.5 year age difference)...first dance to "Keeper of the Stars" (appropriate since we met hiking at the Grand Canyon...each traveling alone)...final song was "True Companion" by Mark Cohn.

Personally, "Beer for my Horses" (Toby Keith and Willie Nelson) and "Longview" by Green Day are a couple of my personal fav's.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well OM, the lyrics to my song are public domain...so don't worry about my post at least. [Smile]
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daruma

As old as the song was I thought it might be but until I knew for sure I took the words out. If you want me to put them back in please e-mail them to me and I will edit them back in, since you can not.

Or if you just want to post them again you can.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hey Mark, how is your back?

Can we sing the songs at our homes while online on OA? [Wink]

KE

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queen-Its a kind of magic. A good general theme song for my life. With a close second Joe Walsh-Life's Been Good To Me So Far & led Zepplin-Fool In The Rain

And when i am really in a bad mood, Joe Walsh-The Confessor.

For my wife, Randy Newman- Short People. She hates that song and I know every word.

But as far as an overall sound track The Beatles- The White Album. Just about every single song has a signifgant meaning to me.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariner
Member # 1618

- posted      Profile for Mariner   Email Mariner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even Revolution 9? And Why don't we do it in the road???? [Smile]

For me, it's probably Beautiful Day by U2. I don't think it's possible to make a more optimistic, upbeat, "wow, life is just neat-o!" song without being sappy in the least (or at least I don't think it is...). Which is the attitude I relate with the most.

See the Bedouin fires at night
See the oilfields at first light
See the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out...

It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away.

Posts: 538 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#9 takens on new meaning under Dr. Leary's medication. And doing it in the road is pretty self explanatory and a self fufiling prophesy under the right conditions.

The hows and whens however of signifignce remain state secrets.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariner
Member # 1618

- posted      Profile for Mariner   Email Mariner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you say so [Smile] I guess as long as Helter Skelter doesn't hold the same meaning for you as it did for Charles Manson, you're ok.

(great album though!)

Posts: 538 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

Well it is just about a slide...
KnightEnder
unregistered

I love "It's a Kind of Magic". IMO that is there best song.

And we played "Friends and Lovers" by the Beatles at my best friends funeral. He and I used to listen to the Beatles back and forth to tournaments.

KE

OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

My neck is doing fine. Had the surgery almost 8 weeks ago and it is healing fine. I have been back to work for three weeks now. I am in a soft neck collar for another 4 weeks, but at least I can drive now.

I still can not use a lawnmower, leaf blower or vacum cleaner. My poor boys. [Smile]

OrneryMod

Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] [Big Grin]
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I still can not use a lawnmower, leaf blower or vacum cleaner. My poor boys. [Smile]
I suspect that might be a permanent condition...

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

Or a justification for him to make more little worker drones since his inabillity to use yard tools seems to be a chronic condition.

With my yard I figure I need atleast 2 more drones to rake leaves. By my calculations I can have a child with a rake in the yard exactly 5 years from now.

Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personal? Greatfull Dead, Easy Wind

"Gotta find me a woman be good to me
won't hide my liquor try to serve me tea
I'm a stone-jack baller and my heart is true
and I'll give every thing that I've got to you"

You spend six months making little rocks out of big rocks....

Me and my wife? Leonard Cohen "Dance me to the end of love"

"Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic ’til I’m gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance me to the end of love"

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

No need OM....thanks anyways. [Smile]
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And an appropo hijacking attempt.

Today is the anniversery of the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" the Great Lakes ore freighter made famous by sinking in a storm 30 years ago today and then having Gordon Lightfoot write an absolutely beautiful song about it.

An excerpt from the song :
quote:
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'Gitche Gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early.

I think probably most people in Michigan know the tune by heart and many throughout the Midwest, do to.
Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember listening to that song on the radio when I was a summer camp. I loved it. His voice had just the right tone of sorrow.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.

-- Bob Dylan, My Back Pages.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page