Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Bush looks positively popular!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush looks positively popular!
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... compared to everyone else, that is.

Bush approval rating: 34%

Congressional Republicans approval rating: 27%

Congressional Democrats approval rating: 25%

If incumbency weren't so strong an electoral advantage, I'd think we were on the verge of a "kick the bums out" election.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is terrible.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For posterity, here are the other administration figures' job approval ratings:

Dick Cheney: 30%
Condoleezza Rice: 52% (wow)
Donald Rumsfeld: 34%

And specific people in Congress:

House Speaker Dennis Hastert: 22%
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist: 23%

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good news for people who don't want hiliary elected. She's going to be a polaizer, and the country needs a uniter right now.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WP, look at those polls closely. People give "congress" low marks, but approve of their own congresspeople and senators by more than 60%. It's always "those other guys" who are the problem.

Bush, on the other hand, is unpopular personally, by name.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw you posted personal congress people. Frist is embroiled in a Martha moment, and Hastert has always had the charisma of a fetid miasma [Smile] Frist has the aura of stale cheese too, come to think of it. Again: check out the "my own congreesman and senator" numbers.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really can't believe how nasty the Democrats have gotten the past few weeks...they should know by now that bringing up pre-war Iraq intelligence suffers from the law of diminishing returns.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

I can't believe what knee-jerk crybabies republicans have become the past few weeks. Whine, baby, whine. your lying, arrogant, incompetent idols are going down. You and they will need another 9/11 to confuse your way out of it this time. I just hope nothing of the sort is in the works.

But take heart - it's like a late comeback that doesn't quite manage to tie the score before the final whistle. This should have been hapenning 12 months ago. Now all it will do is make Dumbo a lame duck way early, which doesn't really solve the problem (though it does make it harder for the grown ups to screw anything else up in the time they have left in charge...)

IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If incumbency weren't so strong an electoral advantage, I'd think we were on the verge of a "kick the bums out" election.

KICK 'EM ALL OUT!!!! </from the rooftops>

(Too bad we won't get so lucky [Frown] )

Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IrishTD:
quote:

KICK 'EM ALL OUT!!!! </from the rooftops>

(Too bad we won't get so lucky [Frown] )

As long as by "ALL" you include the democrats, I'm all for it. I don't approve of what bush has done at all, but I also believe from kerry's support for the war, etc that he wouldn't have done any better. In short, both parties are ruinous. I wish people would give Nader a shot.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance
Member # 2612

- posted      Profile for Vance   Email Vance       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they all should go. Republicans for what they've done to the country at every level, and Democrats for letting them.

As for whether or not we need a polarizer or a uniter, I think what we need, and have not seen for a long time, is a LEADER. The outrage over the last decade (from Clinton to Bush) may just produce one.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wish people would give Nader a shot.
*choke*
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for whether or not we need a polarizer or a uniter, I think what we need, and have not seen for a long time, is a LEADER. The outrage over the last decade (from Clinton to Bush) may just produce one.
I hope so. The focus seems to have become screwing over and cheating the other "team" -- not even to get your policy enacted, but just to piss them off.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Jav,

You ever listen to Nader? He makes a lot of sense.

KE

Aerto
Member # 2625

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Jav,

KE

Maybe if you are on acid while listening to him. Not that I think you are on acid, KE. Though maybe. . .
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Jav,

KE

Yes, I know Nader's politics. He has a positively scary level of hatred for business, of any level, and a love of regulation that makes me sick to the core.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do mean all. Every last one of 'em.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nader would be likely to start Nationalizing industries. I don't think I want him around.

I do admire that he actually says what he thinks, and as an advocate he has done some positive things.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by The Drake:
Nader would be likely to start Nationalizing industries. I don't think I want him around.

I do admire that he actually says what he thinks, and as an advocate he has done some positive things.

Not sure I agree with the second statement - as leader of the Green party, he stifled/altered many of his normal statements in order to fit them under the Green umbrella. 'Course, not well enough, which is why he got dumped by the party.
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, that one little nader comment sure blew up didn't it. [Big Grin]

I certainly think hes got some ideas that are pretty scary but he's also got some really good ideas too. He's certainly not my ideal candidate, just seems better than the choices we've had lately. He does need to moderate some of his ideas though...

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Schmoe:
wow, that one little nader comment sure blew up didn't it. [Big Grin]

I certainly think hes got some ideas that are pretty scary but he's also got some really good ideas too. He's certainly not my ideal candidate, just seems better than the choices we've had lately. He does need to moderate some of his ideas though...

Didn't mean to get all jumpy, but Nader really gives me the creeps.
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These number are meaningless. People ALWAYS hate Congress and love their Congressman. The comparison of the President's popularity to Congress's popularity is one of the most common examples of the bad use of statistics. It's an "apples and oranges" problem. "Congress" is not something that represents the entire country as a single entity. The President does. A proper comparison would be a comparison of the President's numbers with an aggregate of what the American people think of THEIR congressional representatives. I've never seen it, because it would be a much more involved and expensive proposition. But at least it would mean something. And I have a feeling that Bush would look REALLY bad in such a study.

P.S.- I'm all for kicking the bums out, including my corrupt Congressional reps from Utah. McCain/Powell in '08!!!

[ November 18, 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drewmie:
P.S.- I'm all for kicking the bums out, including my corrupt Congressional reps from Utah. McCain/Powell in '08!!!

Yeah, but who do the Republicans run? [Confused]
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, Drewmie! McCain/Powell in '08! GO GO GO!
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Not sure why people who tend towards moderateness want McCain as president?
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ev, do you see McCain as an extremist?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Not extremeist, but more conservative in most of his views then Bush.
David Ricardo
Member # 1678

- posted      Profile for David Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCain and Powell have both become political tools now.

I would much prefer seeing Chuck Hagel be President in 2008. He's a real principled conservative, and that's more than can be said for anyone else in U.S. government nowadays.

Posts: 1429 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Powell? The man who knowingly went along with countless bad policies?
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that those approving Ms Rice did not hear her say, and I quote from memory "I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of secret CIA prisons.” Because that creeped me out a little bit.
Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

I have to admit I've lost a bit of my enthusiasm for the pair (McCain and Powell) as of late. I don't know much about Hagel.

Is Bush a moderate? Yeah, I know the conservatives aren't really fond of him, but I really don't know if he knows where he stands until someone tells him. I used to feel McCain absolutely knew where he stood.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll vote Hillary over McCain.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Bush is absolutely a moderate. Trust me. [Smile]

You need to divorce his "mistakes" versus his domestic policies. He's no conservative.

McCain? You're kidding right? He gets his rocks off by being a maverick. How does he do that when he's in the hot seat? Now instead of sniping, he has to produce. Kind of the same problem the Democrats find themselves... [Razz]

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when Chris Matthews seemed to have a love affair with both Senator McCain and Governor Ventura. Seeing those two going at it in a debate would be entertaining.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that Bush isn't a conservative doesn't, by default, make him a moderate.
Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

All that ever needs to be said about ConDulcese is this quote: "I would have done something about it if someone had directed me to do so".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page