Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » If you want to feel good: My Christmas Carol (True Story)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you want to feel good: My Christmas Carol (True Story)
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize a lot of you don't stop by the MC thread just to chat and I wanted to share this story with all of you. Most of you know me. I like to think I'm tough. But at the end of this series of events it was all I could do to choke back the tears. (This will renew your faith in your fellow man. Even WP was touched by it.)

As we headed out to Grandmas house, several hours away, on Christmas Eve, our good car refused to start. I jumped it off with the old car and after several starts and stops I undid the cables and cleaned out the corrosion and got it started. Thus we headed off to Grandmas house. Halfway there we stopped for gas and the car died.

I had cables and I asked a guy in a BMW to give us a jump. Turns out his wife was also there in their SUV and (they were headed to Dallas) they tried to jump us off to no avail. The battery had given up the ghost. The gas station attendant had told me there was an Auto Zone a couple of blocks down the road and I decided to walk there. As I started off the BMW guy, whom we had thanked for the attempt and bid farewell pulled back up and insisted that he give me a ride to the Auto Zone. Thank God he did as the Auto Zone was more like a mile and a half than a couple of blocks.

(Stacy, my beautiful but not frugal wife had spent all but 33 dolloars on Christmas and I had put 20 of that in the car for gas. I have a couple of credit cards that might have had enough and a MIO prepaid card that had 80 dollars on it but had failed me several times at Randalls and Target. So, I had 13 bucks and a couple of doubtful credit cards (my Dad was on a cruise) and as a last resort we were going to have to use Stacy's mom's credit card and hope Auto Zone would take the number over the phone. (Something I was not looking forward too.)

Upon exiting the car, the BMW guy said he would wait, but I said that it was going to take me a while with the credit card situation. I really thought he had done enough and didn't want to trouble him any longer. He asked if I need some money. I said; "Thank you, no." However, he insisted and shoved 40 dollars in my hands. And away he went.

Once inside the Auto Zone I found myself in line behind about six gentlemen buying parts etc. I called Stacy on the cell (She was back at the gas station with our boys and the car) I told her that the Auto Zone was more than a mile and a half away from the station and it would be a while before I got back carrying the battery.

The old man at the front of the line who had just finished checking out, heard my conversation and said; "Tell her an old man is going to give you a ride. Anybody that has to walk a mile and a half with a battery has my sympathies."

Then, the guy in line in front of me turned to me and said "Your emergency is more important than mine, you can go in front of me." Then, the other five guys in front of me parted and they all stepped aside to let me go to the head of the line. As I started to pay for the battery I realized I was still 2 dollars short. From behind me a man put a 5 dollar bill on the counter. I looked back and it was the BMW guy. He had doubled back to make sure I was okay. He waited for me and I had to tell the older gentlman thank you and Merry Christmas. The BMW guy, Jeff Davis of Smith Barney, gave me a ride back to the gas station, and I changed out the battery and off we went to Grandma's house.

I of course thanked him profusely, and we exchanged business cards. I plan to invite him and his wife and son down here to Kemah and buy them dinner. Not that he ever asked for a thing. He even told me not to worry about the money. Of course I plan on paying him back.

I was almost in tears at how nice all these people had been to me on what started out to be a rough Christmas Eve. (I think I told y'all how I handed out water and allowed the ladies and children stranded on the road during the hurricane to use our restroom. And over the years I've pushed many a car out of the street, sometimes in the rain, sometime in the Texas heat. And though I never expected anything or took anything in return I like the idea of Karma, but whatever this was, Karma or Christmas spirit it really renewed my faith in people.

For days, and even still, as you can tell, I am amazed, humbled, and touched at the generosity of these strangers in my time of need.

I hope you all had a great holiday season. I'm here to tell you that there are still very good people in our country. [Smile] And I thank goodness that I have you, my friends, to share this story with.

If you have a story of your own like this, perhaps this would be a good thread on which to tell it. I wish I could say God Bless You, because that is what I wish for all of you.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great post, KE. It's great to hear that there are good people out there.

Hope the rest of your Christmas Eve went better!

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was great thanks to those kind people. And thank you for your best wishes. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SwampJedi
Member # 915

- posted      Profile for SwampJedi   Email SwampJedi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the story, KE. It's so easy to forget sometimes that humanity still exists. Thank you for being a part of the reason that we can still have faith in people.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always a great Christmas and New Year...even when it's not. [Smile]
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice story. Its good to see something positive on these forums once in a while. [Big Grin]
Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post, John. Merry Christmas :-)
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page