Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » XP experts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XP experts?
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My desktop has developed a most bizarre and debilitating problem. The OS is XP Pro. As of Monday any process that locks a file cannot update it, the file appears to be locked by another process.

I have tried:
Rebooting. Many times.
Running a full scan with Norton.
Restoring the system to a restore point from last week, then 2 weeks ago.
Using the Security tab in the properties window to allow full control to all users.

The error messages vary. Sometimes a simple "Permission Denied", sometimes "Out of disk space or memory", sometimes "File locked by another person or program".

When I boot to the safe mode and log on as administrator I don't have the problem, but safe mode is severely limited.

Any suggestions before I reformat the hard drive? [Eek!]

edited to add: Under the Computer heading of the system window (from control panel) there is nothing. I think it used to have information listed there including the amount of memory installed.

[ January 11, 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: ssci ]

Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turn file indexing off. I believe that if you go into the advanced options in the search window, you can turn it off for a drive.

This COULD be an issue, but it's unlikely to be the entire problem.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try that, thanks

I miss Linux.

Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the OS thinks another process has the files locked. Goto Sysinternals website and download filemon and process explorer. Then run a process that will lock a file. See what filemon reports about the originating process, etc. You may have some kind of virus/spyware trying to take control or something.

Post back your results from filemon and process explorer if you have any trouble making sense of them. If you don't see anything interesting there, take a look at tokenmon and see if anything is playing with your security token. Regmon may also give you some useful info, but it'll be hard to get what you want from it. The sheer amount of registry activity will ensure that.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to start - > run
type MSCONFIG

under "startup" tab
remove everything that doesnt come from c:\windows\system32\ including the Norton

after you do that, connect to the internet, and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard, graphics card, sound card
myguess is that you have software or hardware cullisions

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

Norton was the culprit! Who watches the watchers?

Now to rebuild. Thanks everyone for the help!

Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
norton is evil. Get bitdefender or something else.

Glad to see your up and running again though. [Big Grin]

[ January 11, 2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Joe Schmoe ]

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norton isn't evil. It is just evil in specific cases. Provided you don't run into one of those cases, it tends to work far better than most of the other AV utilities.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or just get a mac. [Roll Eyes]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page