Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Self Made Man: One Woman's Journey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self Made Man: One Woman's Journey
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As everyone on this forum knows, I eschew controversy [Roll Eyes]

So it is with some trepedation that I offer a book I recently became aware of by Norah Vincent "Self Made Man: One Woman's Journey into Manhood and Back". In it, Ms. Vincent dressed herself up as a reasonably attractive man and tried life. Just the premise of such a book has me ordering it from the library.

Instapundit had a quote:
quote:

Bisexuals know that hurt gets inflicted by both sexes in equal measure if not always by the same means. But for these women -- who had never dated other women, and thus never been romantically hurt by them -- men as a subspecies, not the particular men with whom they had been involved, were to blame for the wreck of a relationship and the psychic damage it had done to them.

It's hardly surprising, then, that in this atmosphere, as a single man dating women, I often felt attacked, judged, onthe defensive. Whereas with the men I met and befriended as Ned there was a a presumption of innocence -- that is, you're a good guy until you prove otherwise -- with women there was quite often a presumption of guilt: you're a cad like every other guy until you prove otherwise.

"Pass my test and then we'll see if you're worthy of me" was the implicit message coming across the table at me. And this from women who had demonstrably little to offer. "Be lighthearted," they said, though buoyant as lead zeppelins themselves. "Be kind," they insisted in the harshest of tones. "Don't be like the others," they implied, while having virtually condemned me as such before hand.

With a quote like that, how could I resist? Anybody read it, have comments, intrigued by the premise etc?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I'm already in the middle of two books with little time to read. Now I may have to get this one.

I've often found women to be more suspicious and/or judgmental of others than men generally tend to be, and I think this quote sums it up:

quote:
that is, you're a good guy until you prove otherwise

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

I wanted to throw in one caveat. My sister and I have a relationship with my dad and stepmom. I'll sit there and have a great visit with her. She, later, will go on and on about a variety of acts of incivility she saw.

Perhaps I am insensitive. Perhaps many men are. Perhaps she is measuring the relationship by a feminine yardstick. Maybe women are nuts. I look forward to the book with anticipation.

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does sound quite interesting.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

(See, javelin, this is how you catch up with Mr. Prolific.)

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pickled shuttlecock:
Me too.

(See, javelin, this is how you catch up with Mr. Prolific.)

That's how I did it? How embarrassing! [Cool]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know!
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlemagne
Member # 2649

- posted      Profile for Charlemagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that most of this thread so far is catching up. [Wink] Something I might possibly e doing myself.

I think I will have to find that book myself. Many of the girls I know are very like that. Not all of them; not at all, but many. While I have not dated enough to really judge, when I talk to some girls I do get that feeling that I am being tested with everything I do and say.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

Oh, I had a girlfriend once that actually let me know when I passed or failed. It was really, really annoying, and it didn't last long.
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salon review by Andrew O'Hehir is here

I've not read either book or review. I think maybe the sex differences can be overstated. I know some guys who are just catty little monkeys, no two ways about it.

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know some women who can bench twice their body weight, but we're talking about generalities here.

I've gone out with more than a few women who were of the opinion that it was my job to "prove" I wasn't like the others. I've never been willing to play those sort of games, so when I broke up with them their standard response was a nasty speech about how they were right not to trust me, since I was just another jerk who left them.

Self-unfufilling prophecy. It's not an entirely female activity, but this particular brand of it is definately more common among women.

I figured out a long time ago it's not my job to test people, I leave that to the one duly constituted authority.

Most women, however, see dating as "testing" a man, and become so wrapped up in what they know that they can't see what's in front of them.

I'm not saying men never do this, just that from my own experience women tend to do it more and to do it more conciously.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

As an experiment for the interested, try telling a woman that she is losing points to see the response. [Big Grin]

Edited to add: One of the funniest skits I heard was this comedian dealing with his girlfriend keeping him updated about his "points". When asked how one gained points, she said "You just lost a bunch more".

So the guy said "Is there any way to get my account shifted to your younger sister?"

Sorry, had to throw that in.

[ January 21, 2006, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
As an experiment for the interested, try telling a woman that she is losing points to see the response. [Big Grin]

That's the way I used to do it.

[Smile]

I hated dealing with the "tests", so I decided to make my own and let the girl know it up front.

First date:

Girl: "What are you smiling about?"

Me: "Oh, nothing."

Girl: "What?"

Me: "Well, you've lost a few points, but you're doing pretty good so far."

Girl: "Oh, so now I have to pass, or something?"

Me: "Of course! You think I just give this away for free?"

"So now you sell it?"

"Depends...what are you offering?"

"You're pretty high on yourself, aren't you?"

"I'm just not low on myself. Neither are you, I hope. I like a girl with confidence and self-respect."

"That's me."

"Hmmm..."

"What?"

"Go get me a drink and I'll let you know."

Works like a charm. As long as you don't forget to use some well-placed [Smile] 's and [Wink] 's.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also: I'm going to read that book, too!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Half way through. Chicks are nuts. Men are pigs. Strip clubs are gross. But then this isn't anything new except who is saying so.
kelcimer
unregistered

Picked it up a few hours ago and have read chapters one and two. Doesn't suck. Have gotten various laughs out of it. Interesting stuff.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh canadian...so some of you canucks got game, eh?

lol

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not surprised women are this way. From the beginning of humanity if a woman got pregnant and the man left her she would have a hard time surviving, so it makes perfect evolutionary sense for women to be very suspicious of men. One would simply hope that society at large would reprimand women for acting this way, just as it reprimands men who go around hitting on every woman they see.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

Geez...you'd think they'd be used to it by now....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page