Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Firefly season 2?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Firefly season 2?
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit off topic I know, but I can't resist putting in a plug for my favorite tv series. Brilliant screen entertainment is trying to buy the rights from Fox to keep the show going. Slashdot has the story:
Slashdot story

Survey can be found here:

Firefly survey

If theres any firefly fans here go fill that out and show your willingness to support the show!

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikemook
Member # 1519

- posted      Profile for Ikemook   Email Ikemook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,

The first link is coming up nonexistant, at least in my browser (Mozilla).

SPOILER ALERT

And am I alone in thinking that, with the movie, the series shouldn't come back? I mean, the movie pretty much wrapped it up, for me.

I mean, Booke and Wash are dead, so there goes their backstories. River's "cured", Simon and Kaylee are together, and Mal's...still Mal, but in a better way. The characters seem, for the most part, to be completed.

Another season would only ruin it.

David

Posts: 415 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan - I've already done the survey. However, as an FYI - this is not being done in any official way - Joss Whedon was unaware of this, apparently, as was (possibly is) the cast and crew. I'd love to see it happen, but I'm not sure I trust the source on this one.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The slashdot URL is broken for me...
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this link to Slashdot

[ January 26, 2006, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Ikemook:
Another season would only ruin it.

I disagree. I have more "faith" in Whedon then that. I'm not sure what he'd do, but I have no doubt that if he can get his writers all back on board, it'll be spectacular.

[ January 26, 2006, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Jav. Bring my show back!!!!

There's all kinds of things you can do with River's mind.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Yeah, I'm sure you are thinking "mind", Praetorian. [Big Grin] [Wink]
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I somewhat agree with Ike. My thoughts though are that they will either ignore the movie and start where the TV series ends or possibly just start all over all together. I'd really like to see them just discard the movie. I loved the TV series, but the movie was far below the series in quality imho.

quote:

I'm a big fan - I've already done the survey. However, as an FYI - this is not being done in any official way - Joss Whedon was unaware of this, apparently, as was (possibly is) the cast and crew. I'd love to see it happen, but I'm not sure I trust the source on this one.

Jav, the guy heading the project for company trying to get the rights from fox has made a statement about Joss. He said Joss is aware of it but theres no point in talking with him much or him(Joss) taking much interest until they can secure the rights from fox. He also claimed his company's lawyers are meeting with fox and working on it. After which, they will officially start talking to Joss about it.

So whether its official or not depends on your definition I guess. True its not Joss himself doing it, but it IS being done by real company. This is not another attempt by fans to get it going.

Read this statement from Mr. Underhill, the guy heading up the attempt to gain the rights to the show from fox.

[ January 26, 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Joe Schmoe ]

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the better series.
allthough they killed shepered and the pilot (forgot his name) in the movie. and pretty much closed many of the stories - River, The Reavers for instance

it will be difficult to start a second season with no major changes

[ January 26, 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

HANNIBAL - please put SPOILER on your post.
javelin
Member # 1284

My concern, Joe, is that if they bring back the show without Joss or the cast or crew or whatever, then it won't be the show I want to watch. I'm aware of how things HAVE to go down, but until I've got verbal from Joss that he supports this (and he's been talking about it), then I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also the possibility of doing episodes that fall between season 1 and the movie. Theoretically, they could do another 13 episodes to fill in there.

While a bunch of stuff was wrapped up in the movie there is still plenty of stuff that can be done. Theoertically if the show was to progress another 6 seasons we would see a rebellion agaist the Empire-I mean Alliance.

And there are still the men with the blue hands.

You could have a season where elements of the Alliance are still breathing down their necks. You would have Mel and Anora doing the Sam and Diane thing, Zoe would be still reeling from Wash's death, humorous stuff with the young lovebirds, and River being the telepath. I've read X-Men comics for the past thirteen years. There is a whole helluva lot of stuff you can do with "and this one will be the telepath".

Remember, Firefly was not ment to be a sitcom where it doesn't matter what season you are watching. It was always meant to progress.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jav,

I think she has nice assets to the story...

I read one of the links on those sites, and Joss was asked why he always picks female leads with mystical powers. He said, because I like them!

I tend to agree. [Big Grin]

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

Me too, Praetorian. (I'll catch up to you yet, WP!)

[ January 26, 2006, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
My concern, Joe, is that if they bring back the show without Joss or the cast or crew or whatever, then it won't be the show I want to watch. I'm aware of how things HAVE to go down, but until I've got verbal from Joss that he supports this (and he's been talking about it), then I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

In that thread I linked to, Mr. Underhill states that if they can't get Joss at least on board, then they won't do it. Some/all of the actors may get replaced (which sucks) but he does say he has started talks with them as well.
javelin
Member # 1284

If Whedon signed on without the current cast, I'd take a look, but I'd be mighty disappointed. Especially with how much the cast seems to love doing the show.
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Wars prequels didn't ruin the original three episodes because there was closure and they were self contained. I think the same thing could be the case with Serenity. It isn't like Alias where the first 2 seasons rocked and then they left us constantly hanging and unresolved even when they "resolved" things.

Because Serenity has already produced the resolution I need, I can take or leave the new series on its own merits without freaking out ("Lucas, you idiot; you don't know anything about dialogue or pacing!").

[ January 26, 2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
If Whedon signed on without the current cast, I'd take a look, but I'd be mighty disappointed. Especially with how much the cast seems to love doing the show.

Agreed. The original cast was perfect together. I really think they will try hard to keep them if possible though.
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that a new series would have to look at different plot points. They'd have to introduce another crew member somehow (if River is going to pilot, I'm not sure where he would fit in), and they'll have to do something with Zoe. Perhaps we discover that she's pregnant after the third new episode? OH NOS! New Guy's flirting with Kaylie! Various stuff can happen involving the movie bad guy. I don't think new conflicts would be too difficult to introduce.

But I do agree with SG that they wrapped too many thing up too tightly in the movie to be able to just "pick up where they left off." Actually, that was one of the things that made the movie so good.

[ January 26, 2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is time between the end of Season 1 and the main events of Serenity. A season could probably be fit in there avoiding many of these issues, but I don't think you could squeeze a season 3 in there so it would have to follow the events of Serenity and suffer from the same issues. Personally I would welcome an attempt to have a continuation of the series, but I think I would prefer to see another movie or two instead which could explore the future of the surviving crew, and possibly some new crew members. I don't see the Operative becoming a crew member, but I see many parallels between him and Book, and that could lead to an interesting development in either a series or future movies.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoe Mal Anara

'nuff said

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
javelin -
quote:
I'll catch up to you yet, WP!
Sure you will.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I'd kill Daruma for another season but why would they do that when they can make a ton more money doing less work making another movie?

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

You'd kill Daruma?

I think that telling the story through a series is more true to the show - if you listen to Whedon talk about doing Firefly as a movie, you'll hear him talk about taking it to "BIG" levels - and the good thing about the series is that they are NOT big people in that universe. They are all very good at what they do, but they aren't changing the universe (saving the universe might be a good example) every week - they are staying in the black - that's it. Making a movie means, in Whedon's mind, that they will have to have an impact - something BIG has to happen.

I think that being able to tell ALL the stories they want to tell would make a series more interesting to them than a movie or two.

[ January 27, 2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: javelin ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Just kidding about Daruma, and I agree I'd rather have seasons of shows and that it would make better in the series format, but I think there is too much money in movies.

KE

Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While some basic plot ideas were "wrapped up" in the movie, there is still all the room in the 'verse to continue the story into new plot ideas. The Alliance government was not brought down, only weakened, by what the Serenity crew discovered and broadcast, so there is room for more blows to be struck. And River has only begun to find uses for her powers. It would be fitting irony for her to be instrumental in further embarassing the Alliance bullies. As for the out-of-control research project by the Alliance that the Serenity crew blew the whistle on, where there is one such project, there are bound to be others, perhaps even worse. The Serenity or Firefly adventure could easily go on for season after season, into whole new areas, until eventually the Alliance goes the way of the Axis of WWII. Is there a weaker partner to the Alliance, that could be turned against the Alliance? Could there be a second civil war? A revolutionary war of independence?

While I'm at it, there is one thing I do not get about the Firefly/Serenity scenario. The intros refer to finding additional planets, but make it sound like they're all within one star system. What gives with that? Don't they have warp drive, or some other faster-than-light method of travel?

[ January 27, 2006, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I got food poisioning in Boston, spent a whole day on a bathroom floor, and still am not thinking straight, so cut me some slack on my recent posts. Nothing worse than being really sick away from home.

I think it was food poisioning, my company also spilled SO2 and shut the whole five story building down and I have had a headache sent then. Chills pain, like that. Still talking to you people seems to be more important than I thought it would. Especially feeling this sick.

I've got a lot to say on the "Discipline versus IQ" thread and I want to talk to Drew in private. I get these jobs that take a great dealing of cognitive ability, but then I blow them by not being discipline. Which is so hard to fight when it's your own mind. I made an appointment with a psycyatrist my aunt recommended today. Talk to yall later. Sorry to put this all on one thread, but I"m too sick to go back and forth.

KE

javelin
Member # 1284

I'm really sorry to hear that KE - I hope you feel better soon [Frown] .
flydye45
unregistered

That's funny. The only time I've ever had food poisoning was also in Boston.
KnightEnder
unregistered

Watching Serenity for the upteenth time and before they went to IHOP I was telling my family about how Joss Whedon and OSC were the best in SciFi (okay OSC, Speculatice Fiction. Can I at least call it SpecFic?). Then Mal said something on Serenity after SPOILER they found out what the Alliance had done on Miranda. He said; "Somebody has to speak for these people." Sound familiar?

I think OSC is better at charaters, but I think Joss is better at character relationships. But they're both so good I'm really picking nits.

Wonder if there are any other similarities?

KE

KnightEnder
unregistered

Watching Serenity for the upteenth time and before they went to IHOP I was telling my family about how Joss Whedon and OSC were the best in SciFi (okay OSC, Speculatice Fiction. Can I at least call it SpecFic?). Then Mal said something on Serenity after SPOILER they found out what the Alliance had done on Miranda. He said; "Somebody has to speak for these people." Sound familiar?

I think OSC is better at charaters, but I think Joss is better at character relationships. But they're both so good I'm really picking nits.

Wonder if there are any other similarities?

KE

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Ron L.

They don't have faster than light travel, it's all in normal space. The solar system has a lot of different planents and moons that were terraformed to be fit for humans.

I dunno if some kind of revolution would really be the "Firefly" I think of, it's supposed to be more about people who don't change the course of the universe, I think the movie might have had a bit too much of that.

I'd wonder if Saffron would have become another crew member at some point.

I don't see this ever happening. Whedon has said some things like, he wants to go make movies now, which I get, he's made one of the best TV shows ever in "Buffy" Of course, choosing to make a "Wonder Woman" movie doesn't seem smart. Plus, I don't see the upside for Fox to let loose of the rights.

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saffron

"Q"

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page