Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » strange manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: strange manual
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Utah driving manual has some odd instructions.

5. If you are parked outside a business or residential area, your vehicle must be
clearly seen from 200 feet in each direction.

What the heck does that mean? No cloaking device? You can't park a small car between two big vehicles?

But they do have this helpful advice:

6. A courteous driver never parks too close to another car. Parking too close to
another car could result in damage to your car.

No kidding. [Smile]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I screwed up on #6 once. Apparently I parked too close to the front of a pickup truck, because I was trying to avoid blocking a fire hydrant (and I was successful). Then someone illegally parked behind him, trying to park real close to the back of his truck so they wouldn't be blocking someone else's driveway so much.

The next morning I come out and there are scratches on my back bumper, and I see the other vehicle and I just groan.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cambridge, MA (notorious for a lack of street parking), I once found a spot that was near an intersection. I managed to just wedge myself into the legal area and still leave a few inches of room from the car in front of me. After walking down the street a half a block, I noticed somebody bumping repeatedly into the back of my car, trying to push it forward so he could park his car behind without actually sticking into the intersection.

I walked back and knocked on the passenger window. His date rolls down the window, and I tell him that's my car he's running into. He apologizes (insincerely, I think) and his date starts bitching at him. So he drives off, and I walk down a block and wait. Sure enough, he comes through the same street again and sees me standing there and takes off.

I honestly think he would have tried it again. If he had, I would have been on the cell phone to have it towed away. It would almost have been worth having my bumper damaged to see him return with his date to find that his car is now in Southie, where it will cost him $300 to get it back.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the plus side, I believe you can do a U-turn just about anywhere in Utah, except at a protected left turn.

Think of all the sweet moves you could pull!

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoseAuthor
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for RoseAuthor   Email RoseAuthor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are odd laws in EVERY state I think!

My favorite Texas Law: If Two trains arrive at an intersection, neither shall pass until the other one does.

(I should find the exact wording and code but that one cracked me up the first time I saw it.)

Drake: Apparently, these evil parkers you spoke of DID NOT read the manual! you should have copied it an put it on their windshield.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

There are a lot of strange practices that are not allowed by the manual.

Things they never teach you in driver's ed:

1. The Continuous Car Rule - as a light is changing, if you are a close enough to the car in front of you to fool other drivers into thinking it is part of the same car, you may proceed through the intersection regardless of the signal light. The Continuous Car Rule is not in effect when traffic is being directed by law enforcement.

2. The Stakeout Rule - if your left turn is blocked by oncoming traffic, park in the center of the intersection. When the red light stops the oncoming traffic, proceed through the light. The Stakeout Rule and the Continuous Car Rule may be combined during the same manoeuver.

3. The Head-in Rule - You can head into a parallel parking space if you have room. (Still in dispute - see Costanza v. New York).

4. The Telegraph Rule - When traffic is merging and you make eye contact with a driver in the merge lane, you must give them right of way.

5. The Late Night Rule - Traffic lights may be ignored if it is really late and you are quite sure no-one else is driving anywhere near you.

6. The Poor Condition Rule - Any vehicle clearly displaying body damage, rust, or primer paint shall have the right of way over cars that look nice and cost their owners a lot of money - as well as cars carrying passengers under 12.

RoseAuthor
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for RoseAuthor   Email RoseAuthor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drake: Therefore the need of not just precidences but actual codes.

State codes are interpretted by a lot of small towns.. the outcome is a moshposh of expletives in the end of the court hearings. [Smile]

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Stakeout rule, I never even suspected that pulling into the intersection while waiting to turn left was not strictly legal. It certainly annoys the guy behind you waiting to take advantage of Continuous Car Rule when you don't do it.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

heh, Stakeout is required if you want to make left turns in an urban environment without the help of a dedicated arrow.

The strangest rule is the Massachusetts Quick Left. If you are waiting at a red light to take a left, and a general green is given to traffic in both directions, you must take a quick left across the front of the oncoming traffic. They will actually wait for you to accomplish this, and will get upset if you don't take it.

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah. The Quick Left rule is somewhat in dispute in the intersection at my college. I tend to support it, becuase the only way you can make the left turn signal at the next light after it is if you hit the gas as soon as you get a green light and get up to 50 super-fast. If you're quick enough, you don't even have to Continuous Car it. [Smile]
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh, they taught us to do the Stakeout in driver's ed in California. As far as I know it's legal and expected.

Furthermore, those cameras that mail you a ticket for a red light? They have to show that the light was red before you entered the intersection. I just red that a few weeks ago. If it turns red while you're already in the intersection, you're not guilty of running a red light.

What I hate is when I'm waiting for the yellow so I can make my left turn, and the idiots in oncoming traffic run the yellow (and sometimes even the red) leaving me in the middle of the intersection on red! If you are going straight and oncoming is turning left in front of you, you *must* stop at the yellow and let them have their turn. Unless you're a totally selfish scumbag. (Which it seems many drivers are.)

Me, when people need to merge or change lanes, I actually let them in ahead of me. If everyone had more courtesy, there would be fewer deaths on the road. Selfishness kills, literally.

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

California driver handbook (emphasis added)

quote:
Solid Green- A green light means “GO” but first give the right of way to any vehicle, bicyclist, or pedestrian in the intersection. If you are turning left, make the turn only if you have enough space to complete the turn before any oncoming vehicle, bicyclist, or pedestrian becomes a hazard. Do not enter the intersection if you cannot get completely across before the light turns red. If you block the intersection, you can be cited.
I believe the Stakeout qualifies as blocking the intersection by not getting completely across before the light turns red.
Zyne
Member # 117

- posted      Profile for Zyne   Email Zyne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, when you're doing the Stakeout (aka the Texas-Left-Turn), you don't *know* that you can't get across before it turns red. [Smile]
Posts: 4003 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I don't see that the quote from the California driver handbook disqualifies the Stakeout at all.

It's how we were taught to drive here in Utah as well.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoseAuthor
Member # 206

Seriously, this 'stakeout' rule is more difficult than basically understanding the difference between white and yellow lines or even dashed lines on a street. And yall expect the majority of people to figure out what you're doing at a left turn when they can't figure out..... after YEARS the difference between dashed lines and solid lines? (not to mention the difffence in the color?)

Sorry but this just sounds dangerous! I still can't get my kids to realize 'right of way'.. let alone the fact that someone can make a left turn during a yellow light of on coming traffic.

Most new drivers are too busy talking on their cell phones to pay attention to a stop sign! (my pessimism is showing [Embarrassed]

The Drake
Member # 2128

quote:
Originally posted by Zyne:
But, when you're doing the Stakeout (aka the Texas-Left-Turn), you don't *know* that you can't get across before it turns red. [Smile]

You don't know that you CAN though - and that's the standard on the books.

I don't doubt that driver's ed teaches it - like I said, it is necessary in urban environments without dedicated left arrows and lanes.

New Jersey had such a hard time explaining it that they banned left turns and enacted the "Go-Too-Far-Triple-Right Rule"

Check your state here

[ February 03, 2006, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: The Drake ]

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most places they don't care if you pull into the intersection and wait to turn left, unless you get in an accident, then it will always be your fault. Traffic going straight has the right of way.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Again, not caring is not the same as it being the official rule.

Many states still have official rules that say you can't trade goods on Sunday, but it is not like anyone cares.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page