Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Do you think we'll see legalized Marijuana in the US in our time?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you think we'll see legalized Marijuana in the US in our time?
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title says it all. What do you guys think?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My time is about up, unfortunately [Frown] .
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, to some extent. As a matter of fact, it's even BEEN legal, but I assume you mean "not overturned by the Supreme Court".
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't. I think the country will swerve rightward until it collapses.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I have no clue.
Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the country will swerve rightward until it collapses.
In God We Trust. [Wink]
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Within the next 15 years, I think.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nemes_ie
Member # 804

- posted      Profile for nemes_ie   Email nemes_ie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, I don't. I think the country will swerve rightward until it collapses.
Certainly looks like that from across the pond, so,

no

(unless it's used as an Orwell- type sedative for the masses [Eek!] )

Posts: 312 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly some think it's already been legalised;

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view2/1,4382,635180743,00.html

[Big Grin]

Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's already legal in my city... sort of.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

Unfortunate as that is, legalizing marijuana is like trying to get the Government to stop spending tax money frivolously...it's not going to happen.

There is way too much money in the law enforcement industry spent on operations. There are DEA agents who make a living flying all over suburbs and countrysides using the latest infrared equipment in helicopters looking for heat signatures of glow lights and/or budding plants -- that has GOT to be probably the cushiest job in law enforcement.

Various States may pass varying degrees of legality, but the Feds are never going to give up the cash cow of prohibition.

Afterall, we're talking about a Federal Governemnt that threatens to arrest, indict and take away the Medical Practice license of Doctors that prescribe marijuana to cancer patients in States that legalized medical marijuana. Yet the very same cancer patients can get legal, DEA approved prescriptions for narcotics like morphine and oxycontin. That's about as blatant as it gets when it comes to examining the innate hypocrisy and madness of the Federal Government's addiction to the unreasonable prohibition of marijuana.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, sounds like you consider the government to be completely outside of the citizens of this country's influence.

It's just as profitable in Oregon (well, was), but we managed to legalize it here. So has other states.

[ February 03, 2006, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishTD
Member # 2216

- posted      Profile for IrishTD   Email IrishTD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly hope so. In general, I lean towards wanting to see the WoD (War on Drugs) go the way of Prohibition -- gone.
Posts: 825 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
Wow, sounds like you consider the government to be completely outside of the citizens of this country's influence.

It's just as profitable in Oregon (well, was), but we managed to legalize it here. So has other states.

Nah, there's just too much of a vested interest in the continuation of prohibition - large segments of government, law enforcement, as well as other influential lobbyists like the pharmaceutical industry (there's no profit for pain relief/nausea relief from a plant anybody can grow anywhere) will ensure the continued Federal prohibition.

Yes, Oregon has by and large decriminalized it...but as I said before, the DEA has threatened to jail and decertify any Doctors that prescribe medical marijuana in Oregon, California, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii - which I believe are all the states where Medical Marijuana is supposedly legal.

It's similar to how concealed carry of firearms is technically legal here in Hawaii, but it is de facto illegal as acquiring the permit requires the Chief of Police's signature, and all of the CoP's for the past 30 years simply refuse to sign any CCW permits for citizens, period.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

I don't understand why the federal government is being considered as another type of beast then the state governments, in this case.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

Because the Federal Government is basically ignoring States rights here and claiming Federal supremacy in the making of laws regarding Marijuana - and other drugs for that matter.
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Daruma28:
Because the Federal Government is basically ignoring States rights here and claiming Federal supremacy in the making of laws regarding Marijuana - and other drugs for that matter.

Yes, right now they are. But if we vote, as a group, to change the law, do you think that won't happen? I mean, it did in Oregon, why not federally?
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't happen, jav. The American electorate has been effectively neutered.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Won't happen, jav. The American electorate has been effectively neutered.
Maybe we can change tack and try to get it classified as an "herbal supplement". Pretty much anything goes there.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but perhaps not at the national level. This is the sort of thing the Court can never make its mind up about, besides which, Mr Bush can't be President much longer (thank God for term limits.) Mr McCain has already been appointed President by the press (but then they appointed Mr Dean before they decided on Mr Bush and Mr Kerry, ultimately favoring Mr Bush,) and, in keeping with his position of Presidential candidate, he is not being very clear. Judging by his almost absurdly laudatory statement concerning John Walters, I would guess that he wants to appear "tough on drugs," a stance which wins votes from the masses , if not respect from the élite.

http://mccain.senate.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=Newscenter.ViewPressRelease&Content_id=684

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Schmoe
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Joe Schmoe   Email Joe Schmoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with those who say no. Way too much money involved for them to do the right thing.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When way too much money was involved, way back when they were passng substance laws, it went in favor of the big-money industries like tobacco and alcohol. What marijuana needs is a lobby supported by those who traffic, distribute and consume it.

... and we libertarian types who aren't toking can cheerlead from the sidelines.

[ February 06, 2006, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page