Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » You are...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You are...
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it might be interesting to see how people would respond, if asked to summarize what a person is -- how they are defined. The form of the sentence is like:

"You are what you eat."

It need not be all-encompassing or exclusive.

On to my contribution:

You are what you produce.

One of the first three topics brought up when meeting someone is their job. It defines us in many ways. How educated are we? Are we hard working? Rich or poor? Professional or tradesman or laborer?

This effect is so profound, that many last names are derived from professions or trades. Cooper, Smith, Carpenter, Fisher. The whole family was defined by what they produced, which was their impact on their community.

You are what you produce.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I totally agree with this but...

From Batman Begins:

"it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."

You are what you do?

Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lifewish
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Lifewish   Email Lifewish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tend to go with: you are what you think.
Posts: 272 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always fall back on that great philosopher, Popeye:

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam.

(I.e., people ain't simple.) [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are what you believe.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are the sum of the effect you've had on other people.
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are how you act on your beliefs.

This handles a jerk who thinks he's great (you are what you think) and also handles the small minded bugger (a grocer anti-semite who never acts upon his philosophy), while hitting the high minded but lazy in the fork.

[ February 06, 2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: flydye45 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are your actions.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there ever a time when you don't control your actions?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yep. Insanity, great anger, some others. I recall shouting out something during a religious meeting that I had absolutely no intention of doing so. (I planned on whispering it to myself.) Extremely embarrassing. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
quote:
Yep. Insanity, great anger, some others. I recall shouting out something during a religious meeting that I had absolutely no intention of doing so. (I planned on whispering it to myself.) Extremely embarrassing. [Embarrassed]
So, what does that say about "You are... your actions" or it's derivatives?
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are just another chunk of matter in the universe contributing to accelerating local complexity.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You aren't.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:
So, what does that say about "You are... your actions" or it's derivatives?
Yes, what does it say?

In one sense, we are our actions, as Skinner would say. Only our actions are knowable to others, so that is the only way we can know someone.

But to ourselves, we are far more than our actions. Some actions we don't intend (such as wetting our beds when we were younger, or older [Eek!] ). Some have unintended consequences. And some actions are interpretated in a different way than we intended (such as spanking a naughty child--just ask the child what the parent meant! [Wink] )

So, to the outside world, our actions are who we are. But to ourselves, our intentions are who we are.

Which is useless to the outside world, since even Hitler had good intentions. He just had to manipulate the defintion of "good" until it fit his actions...

Which brings us back to "I yam..." [Smile]

[ February 06, 2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

javelin
Member # 1284

So, is the outer person who we actually are, or is the inner? Or neither?
Wayward Son
Member # 210

To paraphrase a former President, what do you mean by "are?" [Wink]
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are me and I am you and we are we and we are all together.

-The Beatles

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are what you decide.
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are the manner in which you think.

While we may be how we act, those actions are based not only off what we think, but the manner in which we think.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are what you are, i.e. a poorly-under stood combination biology, upbringing and personal choice.
Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard while watching "Medium"...

"You are the sum of what you remember."

I thought that was pretty good.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnLocke
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JohnLocke   Email JohnLocke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're it.
Posts: 663 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a memory, a ripple spreading into the future.

[Smile]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are about $0.98 in chemicals. ($4.50 if you include skin)

65% Oxygen
18% Carbon
10% Hydrogen
3% Nitrogen
1.5% Calcium
1% Phosphorous
0.35% Potassium
0.25% Sulfur
0.15% Sodium
0.15% Chlorine
0.05% Magnesium
0.0004% Iron
0.00004% Iodine

Additionally, it was discovered that our bodies contain trace quantities of fluorine, silicon, manganese, zinc, copper, aluminum, and arsenic.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Perhaps $0.98 in basic elements, Haggis, but a treasure-trove of exotic biochemicals, worth a fortune! (And that does not even include the Rolex watch on your wrist.)

Of course, once you've extracted these biochemicals, you wouldn't have much of a chance to spend the money... [Frown]

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world? Forgot who said it... :-P
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know who it was. His name, however, escapes me [Wink]
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck Palahniuk (fight club)
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are unknowable, especially to yourself.
Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

psst, Drake, we were talking about the main character in Fight Club.
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm pink, therefore, I'm spam." [Wink]
Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

What, you can't say his name because members of Project Mayhem do not have names?

You are Jack's medulla oblongata.

RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There ya goo. [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page