Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Olympics (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Olympics
Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's up with the stupid hats? Why are we wearing these dumb looking berets with USA written across the top?

Or am I the only one that finds this annoying?

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, you're the only one watching.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opening ceremonies=not sport. Get back to me for the men's XC sprint. Or the long track speed skating.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter Olympics = awesome hockey tournament with a bunch of strangeness attached.

Men's hockey schedule

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can some one explain the reason behind the ski jumping? or the tub sliding thingy?

or better yet, that weird sport, Kerlington? somthing, where you slide a large sphere, and two other guys warm its way to loosen the friction

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curling has got to be the dumbest sport ever. It looks like a guy so bored, he's amusing himself by seeing how far he can shove the vacuum cleaner.

Hurling, on the other hand, is a hell of a sport [Big Grin]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They need new sports. My suggestions for "ski jump biathalon" or "figure 8 slalom" have been ignored by the Olympic Committee for Too Long!
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see distance diving and the 200-meter freestyle hurdles in swimming.
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
instead of jumping over hurdles, you must swim through hula hoops
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Get back to me for the men's XC sprint
I went to college with Justin Freeman on the mens team, we were team mates for two years. You can bet I'll be watching. Go Bates!

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimate Frisbee on Ice! [Smile]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aupton15
Member # 1771

- posted      Profile for aupton15   Email aupton15   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ultimate Frisbee on Ice!"

I'm proud/horrified to tell you that I tried this once, and nobody died. We didn't have skates, we just slid around on a frozen parking lot. We were bruised, but it was one of the most entertaining hours of my life.

Posts: 1445 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anti-American sentiment seems to be responsible for the IOC's descision to drop baseball and softball from the summer Olympics.

But I was glad to see that when the American atheletes marched in during the opening ceremonies, the largely Italian spectators gave them the warmest reception next to their own team Italy. Apparently the Italians still like us!

By the way, I watched the opening ceremonies on the Canadian station (channel 9 in Windsor) which we get in the Detroit area (both broadcast TV and cable). So I got to see it in real time, 2pm-4:30 pm Friday afternoon. And during the week, the Canadian station begins its coverage in the morning. (We are six hours behind Turino, Italy, here in the EST.) One thing I do miss though, with the Canadian coverage, is that they do not use the wonderfully thrilling music that John Williams was commissioned to write by the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee. Perhaps the CBC did not want to pay the licensing fee. NBC is using it. So I do watch NBC's tape-delayed highlights of the action sometimes, just to get the focus on US athletes and teams, and the satisfaction of hearing John Williams' Olympic Fanfare.

[ February 11, 2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

Well, it's disappointing that Kwan is going home. Was hoping that she would be able to win the gold this time around.
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the opening ceremonies while I was at work on the Canadian channel CBC (I'm in Marquette Michigan so there are lots of Canadians around here). It was interesting to watch it from a "non-American" perspective. Then later that night I watched again in the tape-delayed prime time slot because I wanted to see how differently it was broadcast..

I found it VERY interesting that both the Canadian and American commentators had to make their comments about politics and international relations at every opportunity. The Olympics are supposed to be about the sports and the athletes who compete in them. NOT the politics of cartoons in a Danish newspaper and not about Iran's nuclear ambitions.

I'm discusted by the reports of Bode Millers drinking the night before the Nordic downhill finals. I'm discusted by Rahyles refusal to take a second practice run thinking that he was too good to be beat. Although Michele Kwan has been great for skating and the US skating team, I'm discusted by a hurt Michele Kwan taking a spot in the opening ceremony (her FOURTH time marching) knowing that she was injured and preventing Hughs from having the opportunity to march in the spot that she EARNED this year.

If you don't want to watch Curling don't watch it. But if you have never tried it I HIGHLY recommend the game. Its a total blast to play. It is a thinking mans game. Very strategic. To the Yoopers up here in Michigans great white north its sort of like chess meets bowling. There is a lot of thought put into your next rock and then a beer between ends.

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, boo hoo. Michele Kwan's already got a silver and a bronze and a bunch of other awards. I know the selection committee acted fully within the rules when it put her on the team instead of the next lowest runner up, but I feel she was just throwing her weight around even to petition to be on it. Now because that runner up couldn't go to the Olympics at the start, she might not make it at all because of the bad weather. (Or has she made it there all right?)
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why are we wearing these dumb looking berets with USA written across the top?
Berets? I thought they were "Freedom Hats"! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Oh, boo hoo. Michele Kwan's already got a silver and a bronze and a bunch of other awards. I know the selection committee acted fully within the rules when it put her on the team instead of the next lowest runner up, but I feel she was just throwing her weight around even to petition to be on it. Now because that runner up couldn't go to the Olympics at the start, she might not make it at all because of the bad weather. (Or has she made it there all right?)"
Kwan has worked hard enough over the years to merit a spot on the Olympic team. Plus, I can understand wanting to capture the gold after all of that hard work and determination. That was the one thing missing in her skating career, and it would have been a perfect ending to it. If I were in Kwan's position, I would throw my wieght around too.

Hughes has plenty of time to get to the Olympics...the short program is 10 days away. Plus, it's arguable she should have been there already.

Everard
unregistered

"Kwan has worked hard enough over the years to merit a spot on the Olympic team."

Tens of thousands of people ahve worked hard enough over the years to merit a spot on the olympic team, but have not been invited.

" Plus, I can understand wanting to capture the gold after all of that hard work and determination. That was the one thing missing in her skating career, and it would have been a perfect ending to it. If I were in Kwan's position, I would throw my wieght around too."

I agree I'd throw my weight around, if I were Kwan. I question the decision to let her weight mean anything, though. The olympics are for the best athletes AT THIS MOMENT. Not for sentimental favorites.

Clark
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for Clark   Email Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi my name is Clark and I'm not a Canadian. Nevertheless, I'm here to admit that I have a problem. I actually enjoy watching curling. Think of it this way: 4 guys can get together and place a big heavy stone within a few inches of where they want it from 100 feet away. Much more accurate than just about any other sport.
Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Although Michele Kwan has been great for skating and the US skating team, I'm discusted by a hurt Michele Kwan taking a spot in the opening ceremony (her FOURTH time marching) knowing that she was injured and preventing Hughs from having the opportunity to march in the spot that she EARNED this year.
This was actually only her third trip to the Winter Olympics. Her first was in 1998 where she took a Silver and her second was in 2002 where she took a Bronze. She did not go in 1994, when she was only 13 years old, or any previous Winter Olympics.

I won't try to second guess whether she should or should not have been chosen for the team over Hughs, or whether she should have pulled herself before the games started, as I have no idea what went into those decisions or what was known or not known about Michelle's injury at any given point in time. I am a bit surprised that Hughs was not in Torino in case of an injury or disqualification to one of the team members, but maybe they just don't do that.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIJC, Emily Hughes was not runner-up. She did well in the tryouts, and thereby earned a place on the Olympic team. She was arbitarily denied a place on the team when the USIOC decided to let Michelle Kwan go in her place, just because of who she was, even though because of recovering from recent injuries, Kwan was unable to participate in the Olympic tryouts. While Kwan has had an illustrious and honorable career, the arbitrary decidion to deny a position on the Olympic team to someone who had earned it seems to be to be unamerican. So in a way, it is ironic justice that Hughes will get to compete after all.

Interestingly, Emily Hughes is the younger sister of Sarah Hughes, who won the gold medal in 2002, besting Michelle Kwan and denying her the gold.

[ February 14, 2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curling.

Like almost all sports, curling is a hell of a lot more fun to play than to watch but, then, M can remember when half the game of football was looking at men's asses in a huddle and half of baseball was watching men adjust their jockstraps and spitting in the dugout or on the outfield grass [Smile] .

Dialog[/I]

Mar: I would have liked the original Olympics. They were in the nude.

Sky: Yes, dear, but in those days they only allowed one woman.

Mar: That would have been me.

Sky: She was the prize.

Mar: Oh, that's what the Olympics were about?

Sky: More or less.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that in the original-original Olympics, before [B]0776
, men were the prizes [Big Grin] .

The modern Olympics are a travesty of costume drama. We need to bring back the Coliseum and have some real competition! TODAY AT NOON: LIONS VS CHRISTIANS! (odds 9:1) AT TWO THIRTY: ORNERY VS THE UN (odds 9:1)! TONIGHT'S SPECTACLE: VICTORS TANGLE! VIVAT IMPERATUR!

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This was actually only her third trip to the Winter Olympics. Her first was in 1998 where she took a Silver and her second was in 2002 where she took a Bronze. She did not go in 1994, when she was only 13 years old, or any previous Winter Olympic
My mistake. I thought that 96 was the last year that there was both a summer and winter olympics in the same year and that she had attended the winter version of that year.

I still don't think she belonged on the Olympic team this winter, regardless of how much I enjoy watching her skate.

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Keep the nude men's luge to yourself.

I just realized why I hate the Winter Olympics (or at least do not prefer it) as a sporting spectacle.

Everything is a time trial or judge's score. The winner of an event is often standing around drinking hot cocoa waiting to see if their time/score will stand up.

And hockey is the only team sport - where summer has volleyball, water polo, "football", badminton, ping-pong, and of course many others.

In summer, the gold, silver, and bronze are all up for grabs in most racing events in the final.

Also, there is a glut of Americans in the US TV coverage. I understand why they do that, but I'd really rather see the top skiers than the hometown favorites.

Also, the Olympics just isn't as much fun since the Soviet Union disintegrated. No more US-Soviet hockey. Oh, CCCP, how I miss you!

We just can't get the radical Arab nations to fight us for medals without fear that they'll explode on the medal stand.

[ February 15, 2006, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: The Drake ]

Koner
Member # 1390

quote:
And hockey is the only team sport
WRONG!

There is also Curling.

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Drake: not much risk of that in the winter Olympics, at any rate...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Everything is a time trial or judge's score... And hockey is the only team sport
DOUBLE WRONG!

There is also the team sprint in cross-country skiing (which is a pack race - not time trial - and also a team sport)

And don't forget short-track speed skating - pretty much the equivalent to middle distance races in the summer - and short track relays would count as team events too...

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

bobsleigh is a team sport as well, but I agree with the point. There's something more exciting about seeing two teams going head to head (or even two players). The winter olympics DOES have a lot of turn taking and waiting.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

Well, yes - I suppose pairs figure skating is arguably a team sport too, but... bleagh.

Some things just don't count.

FIJC
unregistered

When I was a kid, and even now if I were to pick up skating as a sport, I would think that pairs skating would be much preferable...I really like the idea of working together with a partner toward a common goal. It really is a team sport and requires a lot of trust between the two.
The Drake
Member # 2128

okay, by team sport, I really mean "a contest in which multiple individuals cooperate to score points while being actively opposed by individuals from a competing side"

[Smile]

Clarifying Drake's definition:

Gymnastics - not a team sport, even when being scored as a team, unless the opposing gymnast is on the pommel horse or balance beam at the same time

If there is a better name for this that people will understand, I'd love to know it.

yes, short track is as enjoyable as many of the track and field races in the Summer olympics - and more enjoyable than some.

They need to technically be able to do what video games do for time trials - provide a "ghosted" version of the time to beat on the screen. Then it would feel like the athlete was racing against the person currently in 3rd, 2nd, or 1st - as bronze, silver, and gold shadows or outlines.

Praetorian
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for Praetorian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe these kinds of events would be more entertaining if they had to ski against each other. In lanes or something.

Myself I find it entertaining to watch because I am a skier and the speeds these guys turn are blisteringly fast.

I like the speeds....

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there some sort of snowboarding competition this year that has them all going down the course at the same time? I think that's one of the commercials I've seen this year - during the Superbowl, the only time I've seen commercials this year, thank Tivo. [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Praetorian
Member # 617

TIVO. I swear it's changed the way I watch t.v. There are shows I watch and I don't even know what day they really are on or what time.
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Praetorian:
TIVO. I swear it's changed the way I watch t.v. There are shows I watch and I don't even know what day they really are on or what time.

I honestly have no idea when the shows I watch are aired. My roommate occasionally reminds me, but I generally forget it shortly afterwards.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Praetorian:

What's up with the stupid hats? Why are we wearing these dumb looking berets with USA written across the top?

All the athletes seemed to be wearing stupid winter hats. The only reason I watch the athlete parade is to see which nations have the cutest female athletes, and those hats that covered up their hair and those big heavy jackets made it impossible to do this.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

The hats have been marked down from 34.99 to 4.99
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

Why won't Ultimate Frisbee become an Olympic sport?

These two articles describe some of the reasons why.

The Drake
Member # 2128

Ultimate sickens me on so many levels, that I don't even want to discuss it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page