Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Breaking News: Dick Cheney shoots a man (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breaking News: Dick Cheney shoots a man
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but I'm sure it's an accident...
quote:
Harry Whittington, 78, was "alert and doing fine" after Cheney sprayed Whittington with shotgun pellets on Saturday at the Armstrong Ranch in south Texas, said property owner Katharine Armstrong.

Armstrong said Cheney turned to shoot a bird and accidentally hit Whittington. She said Whittington was taken to Corpus Christi Memorial Hospital by ambulance.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president was with Whittington, a lawyer from Austin, Texas, and his wife at the hospital on Sunday afternoon.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best. Picture. Ever.
Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let the jokes commence:

quote:
Cheney unvails Bush Administration's new plan to deal with looming Social Security crisis

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin,"

It was only a lawyer, I don't see how this can really be spun into a negative.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were probably using bird-shot. The guy should have sucked it up and walked it off [Wink]

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
"Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin,"

It was only a lawyer, I don't see how this can really be spun into a negative.

The democrats are amazing at turning ANYTHING about Bush into a negative, I wouldn't be surprised if they could do it with this too.

[Razz]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that Republicans don't like lawyers. Cheney in the Bushes, shotgun, the fog of quayle hunting, mustn't...pull...trigger...

See how easy it is?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Finally Cheney does something good.

A good start. I know,old.

KE

[ February 12, 2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE --

An oldie but a goodie.

I was waiting for one of the news channels to break in this evening with "Vice President goes berserk, shoots man. Film at 11".

I was sorely disappointed.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

Obviously, Cheney doesn't believe in Gun Control.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is, why couldn't Cheney get the proper body armor for his hunting buddy?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. That's what happens when you get five deferments and don't go to war....you don't get your fill of shooting people [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But seriously now - don't you hate it when they get your order mixed up? I told them specifically: The weasel shoots the jerk. They had to get it ass backwards. [Razz]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's impressive, in a way, that a man of Cheney's age and health still shoots prematurely.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, this event is going to be in the press for a couple weeks. It's so inane and silly and unexpected (Cheney shot a millionaire Texan lawyer? Go figure!) that it just has to be a story.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Non-event. This sort of thing probably happens all the time.
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Non-event. This sort of thing probably happens all the time.
You're right -- this is nothing.

I heard Cheney once shot a man just to watch him die.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: damnit, Alzabo beat me to the joke. [Smile]

[ February 13, 2006, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

Tom:
quote:
Edit: damnit, Alzabo beat me to the joke.

Yeah, but you have that glass of water with the beautiful naked women, and I just have this hunk of ormus metal.
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my wife told me about this my first thought was, "That's the last time that guy will disagree with the Administration's NSA spying policy."
Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine if he'd shot him in the back [Wink] .

But it does address Cheney's trigger-happy subconscious, no? I've known men Cheney's age who've been shooting for half a century who've never made a mistake -- unfortunately, Whittington did.

OTOH, the press has regularly and persistently made the mistake of calling him Chain-y instead of Cheen-y so who are they to complain about errors of judgment?

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
Imagine if he'd shot him in the back .

I'd imagine Cheney saying:"The buckshot stops here!".

quote:
I've known men Cheney's age who've been shooting for half a century who've never made a mistake -- unfortunately, Whittington did.

Whittington made a mistake?

Since when is it incumbent upon one's partner to scream "I'm coming!" when it is oneself that is about to...unload?

Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alzabo, Whittington made the mistake of knowing a man who made a mistake....
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
Alzabo, Whittington made the mistake of knowing a man who made a mistake....

True, true...

I'm sure the NRA would be plenty willing to give the VP a private gun safety refresher course.

KnightEnder
unregistered

Amazing! The VP guns a guy down in cold-blood and Daruma still defends him. Wait, Daruma is saying Cheney made a mistake, right? Surely, Cheney hasn't admited to a mistake? You're doing a heck of a job, Cheney! How long till he gets his Medal?

I heard the lawyer was there representing PETA and trying to protect the quail. Pro-bono, even.

Cheney is sending a message to the terrorists; this is what we do to our friends!

Cheney needs to practice gun control.

Guns don't kill people, Vice Presidents kill people.

KE

[ February 13, 2006, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

quote:
Wait, Daruma is saying Cheney made a mistake, right?
'Course he made a mistake. The guy's still breathin', ain't he?
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's practicing for his bold move to ascend to the Presidency.

(Don't take that invitation, George! It's buckshot for you!)

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

Actually, I was pointing out that I thought Alzabo misread Richard Dey's statment:

quote:
I've known men Cheney's age who've been shooting for half a century who've never made a mistake -- unfortunately, Whittington did.
I took it that Richard was implying that Whittington made the unfortunate mistake of going hunting with a man (Cheney) who most certainly DID make a mistake.

Seriosly though, I personally witnessed a friend die in a hunting accident whan I was 21 years old.

It's no laughing matter to me.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I was just joking. Sorry about your friend. I don't hunt.

KE

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

When hunting, aren't you supposed to announce or signal your presence in some way before approaching someone with a loaded gun from behind?
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

You are also supposed to be certain your field of fire is clear before pulling the trigger.

You are also supposed to go hunting only with people who make sure their field of fire is clear before pulling the trigger, and only go hunting with people who don't step into your field of fire without warning [Smile]

Two people messed up. More often than not, when two people are involved in any sort of accident, both of them have made an error in judgement.

Now...my question is, are we paying for a medical team to follow Cheney around during recreational activities? Or, is he paying for that out of pocket?

If so, what is it costing us, and why is this the first I've heard of it?

I have no problem with him getting decent health insurance with his job, but this is pretty excessive if we're footing the bill. If his health is that poor he should be staying within quick reach of medical assistance unless his job actually demands otherwise. I wouldn't mind paying for a rapid response team to accompany him on a flight to a trade conference or something, but this is his time.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

On a serious note, the press is excoriating the Pres for not being informed within 3 hours.

Gee, do you think Cheney might

-see to his friend
-deal with the authorities and call his lawyer
-wait for the President to become available

before he calls?

I don't consider 3 hours to be a huge amount of time. If they should be dinged, it is because they were slow to bring it to the press. Considering what a warm relationship the two groups have, I don't wonder why they were slow at all at telling them anything.

And if I have to pay for Clinton's antibiotics for the rest of his life, I can certainly see having a medical response team with a sitting VP while he's actually in office.

Jesse
Member # 1860

Sure, unless he decides to go galavanting all over creation increasing the cost. It is, however, a pretty darn big cost, and I'm inclined to wonder why the evil liberal media hasn't shouted the dollar ammount from the rooftops.

Me, I want to know how much it costs, 'cause it's my money and it's an expenditure my government is making. Of course, I think that all politicians should have to report yearly their entire haul in compensation, including meals we pay for, medical care, transportation and security costs for their non-work travel, ect.

In any event, the shooting just isn't that big a deal. The guy wasn't badly injured. Who knows how far they were from the phone. I would expect the man to call his wife before he called the President, and maybe the family of his friend as well. I know I sure as hell would need some time to collect myself if I was in his shoes, and would want to make sure my friend was alright before jumping into crisis managment mode.

I really think Cheney is an obnoxious turd with no respect for my government or the character of my great nation. I think he's evil, avaricious, corrupt, and has no higher goal than the lining of his own pockets. So what? It's got nothing to do with the case at hand, which is that he and his friend both made rather stupid mistakes which combined to result in the relatively minor injury of his friend.

LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesse,

actually I would expect the President and Vice President to have medical personnel on site with capabilities to treat most injuries no matter where they are - the added cost versus the cost to society due to the shock if something tragic were to happen is well justified. Ie Kennedys death was probably in the billions in economic loses.

I agree that the complaints about the time frame are unjustified.

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course some might argue that if Bush or Cheney died there'd be so much rejoicing that it'd increase productivity and help the economy.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rejoicing? Perhaps.

Until they found out who was next in line. [Smile]

quote:
# Speaker of the House John Dennis Hastert
# President pro tempore of the Senate1 Ted Stevens
# Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
# Secretary of the Treasury John Snow
# Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
# Attorney General Alberto Gonzales

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

quote:
so much rejoicing that it'd increase productivity and help the economy.
I don't know what your kind of rejoicing looks like, but doesn't it usually lower productivity until, y'know, the hangover wears off?
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i heard about 3 seconds of a song on the radio today, it was a remake by a comedy team of aerosmiths "janies got a gun" i didnt need to hear the rest of the song, it was so funny, it practically writes itself.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Hilarious Tony. And I had just watched "Not Another Teen Movie" again (Janey's Got a Gun is in the movie), so I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. It's perfect.

KE

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A public service announcement
Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page