Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Is Roberts THAT Illinformed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Roberts THAT Illinformed?
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a New York Times article:
quote:
The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee said Friday that he wanted the Bush administration's domestic eavesdropping program brought under the authority of a special intelligence court, a move President Bush has argued is not necessary.

The chairman, Senator Pat Roberts, Republican of Kansas, said he had some concerns that the court could not issue warrants quickly enough to keep up with the needs of the eavesdropping program. But he said he would like to see those details worked out....

"I think it should come before the FISA court, but I don't know how it works," Mr. Roberts said. "You don't want to have a situation where you have capability that doesn't work well with the FISA court, in terms of speed and agility and hot pursuit. So we have to solve that problem."

He's the chairman of the committee and he is THAT clueless about FISA! I don't know if I prefer to believe he is that illinformed or that he actually believes Bush's lies. Scary either way.
Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He knew how it worked in the past. Perhaps he hasn't been taking his memory pills.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not getting the cluelessness here.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This part, Drake:
quote:
"I think it should come before the FISA court, but I don't know how it works," Mr. Roberts said.
"I don't know" = cluelessness.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's misspeaking. From the context, I'd say he means he doesn't know how well it works, or if it works adequately. He's pretty tongue-tied in the whole paragraph.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The numbers have been out there, even for lay people like our good selves. 4 denials in the last 5200 requests, for instance. There's a few of those out there that I've seen, and I've probably missed some, and that's just a fraction of what HE has at his disposal. He should be able to make up his mind. But it's ok. The issue will still be adressable after the first week of November, 2006.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RickyB -

No it won't. President Bush has hit his term limit - he's out.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

We'll see. Or rather we, won't see. 4/5200 only shows that the government is good at not asking for what it won't get.

The issue is, out of N wiretaps made that bypassed the court - how many would have been granted by the court? And should they have been granted?

I'm still demanding an answer to that one along with everybody else, and if the system remains in place without those answers, you can bet that I'll be holding whomever will be president responsible, along with the Senators that agree with that point of view. This doesn't go away because Bush is in his second term.

Maybe the good Senator has made up his mind, and now he's doing the close-to-the-vest thing while he tries to convince other Republicans to break ranks. Who knows?

I think it would be a mistake to call him uninformed on the basis of this quote, but I suppose its possible.

RickyB
Member # 1464

This is not just about Bush. This is also about what the next administration may or may not do. Be it Dem or Repub, Hilly-Bob or Condi or Angry John, I don't want the president thinking he or she can do crap like this.
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is not just about Bush. This is also about what the next administration may or may not do. Be it Dem or Repub, Hilly-Bob or Condi or Angry John, I don't want the president thinking he or she can do crap like this.
This is the cold wind that some Republicans are beginning to feel, not that their hallowed Administration has done anything wrong, but that the party-who-must-not-be-named may someday be in the big house across the street and might do something similar, citing Bush's precedent. If all politics is local, then local means the house and senate as far as national security goes.

It would be awfully nice to see either chamber take the WH to task for even one of its myriad blunders. But, unless the PWMNBN gain control of at least one of them in the fall, they'll get off scot free.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page