Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Ann Coulter is a bitch, but maybe she has a point. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ann Coulter is a bitch, but maybe she has a point.
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was on Hannity and Colmes and she spat out one of her condescending remarks about how cute it was watching democrats act like they know about hunting (the Cheney accident)"

At first I was outraged. I was brought up shooting guns. My dad was a cop. My dad was a SWAT sniper. I slept with a .357 under my pillow until I was 19. I can shoot the wings off a fly at a 100 yards. Then I realized; but I wouldn't shoot the wings off a fly. And I damn sure wouldn't shoot a bird unless my family was starving. (I did shoot a bird when I was ten. It was at the top of a big tree and I didn't realy think I could hit it with my bb gun. My heart broke with every branch it hit on the way down landing at my feet. I buried it. And though I've been deer hunting many times with my dad and father-in-law and business associates, the only deer I ever killed was with a Chevy Lumina directly in front of NASA on NASA Road 1.

So, maybe the bitch is right? At lesat in this liberals case. I just don't get the joy out of killing a living being. (Of course I kill spiders and flies in my house and I will kill anything and anybody that I see as a threat to my family. But I won't enjoy it. And if a two-time felon for aggravated assault Liberal doesn't get hunting maybe the shrill whore has a point.

KE

[ February 20, 2006, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the thread title.

Personally, I gave up the chance to see Ann Coulter when she spoke at my university two weeks ago, so that I could go to a birthday party. No regrets. At all.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Thanks WP.

(Hey, I'm in the Mariott Crystal in Arlington. Is that far from you?)

KE

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not. I'm across the bridge in Foggy Bottom (several blocks north of the Lincoln Memorial), little less than 4 miles away. You're actually closer to FIJC, methinks.

[ February 20, 2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you're really close to is my Beloved's brother's old apartment. Like maybe a block away. We still always park the car right there when we go into the city.
(sadly, maybe, for you, the brother lives a little further away now)

On topic - I know a lot of people who tend to vote Democratic who also are avid hunters. Probably a lot more of them than all the hunters bitchface knows, total.
I am tempted to spit out a condescending remark of my own about how cute it always is to watch privileged rightist urban and suburban intellectuals pretend they own the soul of rural America, but let's all just consider it said.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

What was really sad was seeing Kerry pretend to be a hunter to suck up to the gun crowd. He walks out there in brand-new gear straight out of a catalog, with a super-expensive gun in hand. Way to connect, John.

Side note: I don't think I've talked to anyone, since the election, who thought Kerry ran a good campaign. It was pretty much an unmitigated disaster. Like, "trial lawyer walks into a town largely employed by Big Pharma and rails against Big Pharma" kind of disaster.

[ February 20, 2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Digger
Member # 2341

- posted      Profile for Digger   Email Digger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE, your descriptions about hunting were chillingly accurate for me. I think in my life I've killed one bird and a couple of squirrels. I could certainly hit most anything I chose to aim at, but after the age of 13 I couldn't bring myself to aim at anything that moved on its own.

Unless the gun shot paintballs and the things moving were people. Then, KA-POW!

Now, mea culpa, I've put many a hook into a fish's mouth with no regrets...

As for Coulter - I find her painful to watch or read. She has her (rare) moments, but I just can't get into the mean-spirited nature of it all. Ultimately, I share enough in common with both sides of the political spectrum that I find a way to feel sympathy (and more often disgust) with just about every political player at some time or another.

Posts: 1317 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WarsawPact,

yep, was pretty sad, whoever advised him on that screwed up big time.

I've hunted with my farther since I was young, and killed my own moose at 14 I think? Mostly I was 'strong back weak mind' and played pack mule and helped do the dressing out (hands covered with blood and mosquitos buzzing around driving you nuts, the smell of of gut pile... ah the memories heheh) I haven't hunted in many years though. While I didn't mind the work and killing, our purpose was for meat, and the primary pleasure of it was just being out in the wood with the old man. I've never really understood the sport and trophy hunters. Especially shooting something like quail with a shotgun (digging out the pellets and dressing them for meat that doesn't taste particuarlly good.... I'll pass).

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farm raised quail...I mean, where's the skill? And ducks?? Shooting ducks???? Do these surly old he-men not see how pathetic that is?
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

This is why Teddy Roosevelt just out-badasses anything we've got running today.
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RB:

The reason why boys are taught the difference between a rifle and a shot gun is not so they'll know the difference between tasteless generic fowl and the real thing, it's so they won't wind up gun shy in boot camp. We do not have universal military conscription, you know .... But if you like you quail to taste like Col Chicken, feel free to have bad taste [Wink] .

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godot
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Godot   Email Godot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the best part was when Colmes said, “I thought the great thing about the hunting accident is that Dick Cheney finally got some combat experience.”
Posts: 444 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah! [Big Grin]

We don't get Hannity and Colmes (hmmm, maybe we do. I can't watch more than 10 minutes of Fox News to know).

And yeah, WP - Kerry's hunting thing was the saddest, lowest part of his campaign. There's a reason I've addressed him here as "Duck Boy".

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And yeah, WP - Kerry's hunting thing was the saddest, lowest part of his campaign. There's a reason I've addressed him here as "Duck Boy".
Note to Democrats: voters love it when you blatantly grovel!

Can I be a Democratic Consultant now?

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

The other sad part is that he DOES hunt. I can't believe he botched that so badly.
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder when someone's going to make a video of the NES's Duck Hunt with Harry Whittington's face on the ducks? I guess you could also put Cheney's face on the dog.

I did find this, which has the right idea but isn't half as offensive as it should be.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't hold Cheney responsible on this one, frankly. As far as field regulations go, it was Whittington with the first error. He is supposed to signal that he is there -- and he did not. As far as the second error is concerned, one is not supposed to shoot bright-orange quail wearing spectacles.

KE: I don't know about East Texas, but the Northeast is plagued with wildlife. Why not hire your hunting skills out in Massachusetts? There's lots of good hunting in Hyannis, Louisburg Square, and Cambridge [Big Grin] .

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

But the meat's not fit for eating there!
Omega M.
Member # 1392

- posted      Profile for Omega M.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WarrsawPact:

I'm across the bridge in Foggy Bottom

Hey, we should call you the Foggy Bottom Boy! (Like in O Brother, Where Art Thou?---he, he, he.)
Posts: 1966 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

I'm not a man of constant sorrow... [Smile]
KnightEnder
unregistered

I don't think they'd let me hunt there. Even though Massachusetts is the home of Remington and Smith & Wesson gun companies, it has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. And even if they would, I wouldn't hunt my own kind. Besides, I could find plenty of fat game right here at home in Houston. And it wouldn't even taste wild, it'd probably taste tame and conservative. [Razz]

But the only way I'd hunt anything is if you promise to give the meat to the poor.

And I love that movie. In fact, just last weekend Stacy commented that she couldn't believe I love that movie. Even though she loves Clooney, she can't bring herself to watch it.

KE

[ February 22, 2006, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not? What is it about the movie that people who haven't seen it seem almost deathly afraid to watch it?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I ask her and at first she said it "looked too stupid", then she said that she has an image of Clooney in her head and she doesn't want to see him like that.

I like the movie, but I really love the songs. That song the Sirens sing and the main song are great. Plus, I love the way Clooney acts in the movie. I think it's pretty cool that he would put himself out there like that instead of sticking to Joe Cool "Ocean Eleven" type rolls.

KE

The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a very small sampling, I find that "O Brother" inspires uncontrolled giggling in men, and shoulder shrugging and eye rolling in their wives. Maybe because there are no female characters until the very end.

We're in a tight spot!

Also, Soggy Bottom Boys are great!

quote:

Pete: You miserable little snake! You stole from my kin!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Who was fixin' to betray us.
Pete: You didn't know that at the time.
Ulysses Everett McGill: So I borrowed it until I did know.
Pete: That don't make no sense!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Siren song kicks my behind everytime. Thanks for letting me in on her "whys".
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

That's a great, great flick. Great tune, too. It's one of the few tunes my wife expliictly asked me to download. [Smile]
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, oh yes, that movie kicks serious ass!!

My wife bought the DVD, I looked at the cover and prejudged it as a dumb movie. She insisted I watch it with her, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I love this movie. The music, the plot, the dialog -- simply superb.

The Sirens song gave me goosebumps when I first saw the scene...

I liked this movie so much, I was able to suspend my view of Clooney as an intensely arrogant, elitist asshat for the duration and I give him kudos for one of his best acting performances ever...it's as good as his batman was bad.

Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, you guys are going to make me watch this movie tonight.

paraphrasing:

"What with you two having been saved, and him having sold his soul to the devil, looks like I'm the only one unaffiliated."

(How did we go from Ann Coulter to O Brother?)

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dang, you guys are going to make me watch this movie tonight.

paraphrasing:

"What with you two having been saved, and him having sold his soul to the devil, looks like I'm the only one unaffiliated."

Dang, you guys are going to make ME listen to Robert Johnson all night.
Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Drake, funny you should ask. I just got back from dinner with FIJC and WP here in DC, and at one point we were talking about the old days when you could modify thread titles no matter how long ago you started the thread, and I said; "I wish I could do that now since you've turned my Ann Coulter is a bitch thread into the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" review. To be fair, looking back I blame Omega, too.

FIJC and WP were great, and I for one, had a great time.

KE

FIJC
unregistered

Hey, I am back at my nice, warm apartment, and I had a great time tonight as well. You are very personable and funny KE. It was actually great being able to meet WP for the first time too. [Smile]
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Right back at you guys. I'm not usually too animated when I first meet people; you guys thawed me out more than most can do in that short a time, though.

FIJC - 'Twas great meeting you too. I hope you feel better soon. We'll definitely have to meet back up sometime, especially with the short distance between us.

KE - It was very cool meeting you too. Sorry for becoming the "Foggy Bottom Boy" in your thread, but in all fairness you did ask whether I lived nearby. And the promised links to the SNL skit and David Brin stuff are up there in Miscellaneous Chat.
-=-=-=-
... back to Ann Coulter?

RickyB
Member # 1464

Hey! I'm jealous. What's with all this great time being had by people not including me?? [Big Grin] Seriously, any of y'all planning a pilgrimage to ye olde holy land?

Ed to add:
"... back to Ann Coulter?"

Not unless you mean "turn our collective back to..."

[ February 23, 2006, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

We brought up the idea of meeting you, actually, Ricky. It's just a long, fairly expensive plane ride.
javelin
Member # 1284

Let me know when the tickets you are buying for me are ready, Ricky, and I'll be right over - I've GOT to visit that girl Hannibal showed me... [Big Grin]
RickyB
Member # 1464

LOL. She doesn't live here. You need to head south for her. [Big Grin]

I may visit the states this summer. We'll see.

FIJC
unregistered

Actually, yeah, Ricky, we had all mentioned wanting to meet you one day.

WP: Ditto on meeting up again. We live so close to one another, plus, the metro cut us short of our conversation. [Smile]

[ February 23, 2006, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: FIJC ]

javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
LOL. She doesn't live here. You need to head south for her. [Big Grin]

I may visit the states this summer. We'll see.

You are welcome to stay here, Ricky, if you find yourself in Portland - at the very least, let me know and I'll get you a nice microbrew. [Smile]
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you hit the west coast Ricky, let me know. I'm always down for any silly excuse to make a road trip.

<edited to add>

My wobbly grandfathers hunted, I know loads of people (even in CA!!) Anne Coulter would consider liberal who hunt, I used to hunt...

She doesn't have much of an argument here.

Last time I heard the stat, and it was forever ago, 43% of the NRA membership was Democrats. I can't find a source on-line right now, so it's just sourced to my recolection of some interview I saw with Jim Bradys wife when she was arguing that the Brady Bill shouldn't be seen as a partisan issue.

I don't think many Greens hunt, although I do know exactly one who does.

[ February 23, 2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 1392

Sorry, I wasn't expecting my comment to go anywhere.

So, back to Ann Coulter, what's her voice like? Is it sweet and feminine, or harsh and gravelly (which is the voice in which I always hear her columns in my mind)?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page