Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Disappearing Zimbabwe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Disappearing Zimbabwe
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11964205/

Well. It looks like Zimbabwe doesn't have much longer to live. Yet another African country getting ready to attach itself to the tit of foreign aid to survive. What is really sad is that they have absolutely no excuse, only themselves to blame.

quote:
The three main farming organizations said in a joint statement that their members estimated planting about 45,000 hectares (108,000 acres) of irrigated winter wheat this year, down from 65,000 hectares (156,000 acres) last year and less than half the area needed to meet the nation’s demand for bread and other wheat-based foods.

Shortages of bread, a second staple after corn, also in short supply, power outages and scarcities of gasoline, fertilizer and other essential imports have become routine in the troubled southern African nation.

Before the often violent seizures of 5,000 white-owned commercial farms began in 2000, Zimbabwe was self-sufficient in wheat and an exporter of surplus corn.

This is what happens when you take all the land from those evil white farmers who have owned the land for generations. Maybe the reason those farms lasted for generations was because they were good farmers.

Now put in the hands of in-experienced farmers with tiny plots of land and no idea of how to farm, food production plummets. Tally up another country where surplus food from the midwest is about to start showing up. Not to mention that they won't be able to export any food to other African countries.

Am I bitter? Yes. I have family in Zimbabwe. My Uncle lived there and raised a family, but he had to leave along with my Aunt to Ireland because they couldn't live there anymore. One of my cousins is still staying in Zimbabwe, and I hope he gets out soon.

Bravo Robert Mugabe. Keep up the stellar work.

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halfhaggis
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for halfhaggis   Email halfhaggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only Zimbobwe had oil.

Anyway, that's what my T-shirt says.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automath
Member # 2720

- posted      Profile for Automath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's this song my South African friend brought me about this, but it's got no name and I can't find it anywhere on the net. He doesn't know either. It goes:

Mugabe repossessed my farm
E i e i esh
And on that farm we had some ducks
With a I want that duck
No I want that duck
No it's me who wants to eat that duck!

(and so on....)

Anyone here know what it's called and who sings it?

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halfhaggis
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for halfhaggis   Email halfhaggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weird thing is that I my wife has a friend who likes the chaos of Zimbabwe so much that she bribed a Zimbabwean official for Zim citizenship.

She has British citizenship and was living in Cape Town, South Africa, so I find her actions pretty damned mystifying.

Maybe some people like their countries broken?

Posts: 101 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Mugabeism prevented me from getting my favorite coffee, they were all doomed! [Mad] and they're still doomed and I'm still [Mad] ! Pride paradeth before the fall! Let them drink tea!
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G2
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's news reportedly from within Zimbabwe at this blog. I say reportedly because:
quote:
For five of the last six days the electricity has gone off before 5 in the morning and only come back 16 or 17 hours later a little before midnight.
I assume it's a straight up, honest blog by Someone named Cathy Buckle who lives in Zimbabwe but with power outages lasting most of the day and she's till able to blog it raises my suspicions just a little. Maybe I'm too paranoid ... but until otherwise proven, I'll assume she's for real.

[ October 02, 2007, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: G2 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look at the blog you linked and I think it is likely a legit blog from someone in Zimbabwe. It appears that the blog is hosted outside of Zimbabwe by someone who has never met her but has read her books and wants to help her get her message out. Even with the severe electricity outages she reports it would not be too difficult for a motivated individual to get the information out unless the internet were being actively blocked by the government like in Burma.
Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tez is absolutely right. They have only themselves to blame.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also forgot that most of the really evil farmers were already shot in the head years ago.

Not saying that's a bad thing, by the way.

The really pathetic part of all this is that those who were still there were the ones willing to try to make things work and be a part of the country they loved even after they no longer had a rulership privledge by dint of their tint.

Not trying to Saint the lot of them by any means, but they were obviously not the worst of the worst.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoneSnark
Member # 2005

- posted      Profile for LoneSnark   Email LoneSnark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zimbabwe: Venezuela without oil.
Posts: 592 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page