Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Myer-Briggs Type Indicator/Keirsey Temperments (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Myer-Briggs Type Indicator/Keirsey Temperments
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So. What're the personality types of everyone here? That is, if you've taken the tests they have, what do you generally fall under? And how accurate do they tend to be?

I'm curious, because mine seemed to be rather true. But perhaps that's a coincidence. I want to hear about the rest of you! I'm an INFP, which Kiersey calls the Healer type. It's really fascinating.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine says INTJ...says that I am a moderately expressed introvert (never thought of myself as an introvert necessarily), distinctly expressed intuitive personality, slightly expressed thinking, and moderately expressed judging personality. Kiersey calls this a "portrait of a mastermind rational." Seems a little dramatic...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I always end up INTJ or INTP. The J/P on a 0-100 scale, with 50 being the crossever, always is between 45-55. Depends on the day I take the test. INT are pretty locked in stone, all being over 85.
KnightEnder
unregistered

What's the link?
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a Meyers-Briggs test online, just by searching on google, but I got bored answering the questions half-way through. What category does that put me in?

ngthagg

(You get bored answering leading questions. Yes/No?)

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

I found one on line too, but the results didn't sound much like me, and then it asked me to purchase a 100 page personality profile.

100 pages. Apparently it finds me more interesting than I do.

KE

[ April 01, 2006, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KnightEnder,

quote:

100 pages. Apparently it finds me more interesting than I do.

Nah it just had determined that your type was 'sucker' [Smile]

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I also get INTJ pretty consistently, bordering on ENTJ (the strength of the I is always only a couple percent).

They're supposed to be the rarest type...

[ April 01, 2006, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

the NT conjunction is almost a prerequisite for posting regularly on a political discussion board.
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the original post's question of accuracy, I've found that this is disturbingly close on most points. This was unusual for me, because most personality tests have failed utterly.

Again, I fall very close to ENTJ, and I think it depends on whether something has really taken my interest. Once I'm *in* somewhere, I think I become extroverted when dealing with that system, which would line up pretty well with the description from another site that says,
quote:
INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead.
That fits me pretty damn well. When everything's hunky-dory, I'm content to play my part with competence and keep on the lookout for potential complications. When some failure of leadership occurs, and I get the idea that I could do it better, I'm right at the throat of the system trying to figure out how to take over.
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFP.

There seem to be a disproportional number of I's so far. I guess that's to be expected. I mean, who actually likes talking anyway?

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Everard:
I always end up INTJ or INTP. The J/P on a 0-100 scale, with 50 being the crossever, always is between 45-55. Depends on the day I take the test. INT are pretty locked in stone, all being over 85.

Exactly the same with me, but less margin on the J/P - I'm usually within a point - and I've taken the test about five times in the last fifteen years...

And yes, I think it's pretty accurate, for what it does.

INTX, people! Whoohoo!

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"As for the original post's question of accuracy, I've found that this is disturbingly close on most points. This was unusual for me, because most personality tests have failed utterly.

Again, I fall very close to ENTJ, and I think it depends on whether something has really taken my interest. Once I'm *in* somewhere, I think I become extroverted when dealing with that system, which would line up pretty well with the description from another site that says,"

I took the test a litle while back on Ornery, and I fell under the ENTJ category as well...this time, I tested INTJ...thinking I must be borderline as well. That makes sense-I have no problem functioning in social settings/situations, but mainly only when I feel the need to/want to. I am perfectly fine on my own as well, and oftentimes find it a refreshing change to gather my thoughts with little disruption.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested INTJ, according to one online test.

They got my attitude toward personal relationships down pretty well:

quote:
Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTJ, again. My N is borderline S, and my T borderline F, so sometimes I get those variations, probably depending on my mood and which version (that is to say, how long a version) of the test I take.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTJ

very expressed introvert

slightly expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed judging personality

78% introvert, and all the slights are 1% LOL.

So ummm...other than being introverted I'm....normal?

Now, I know this is all a bunch of hooey.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think this is hooey? Check out eneagrams sometime. They make Meyers-Briggs look scientific.

The only real value I see for these sorts of personality tests is if they are simple, done as a group, and used as a specific tool. One I participated in divided us into four groups. The instructor said, "These people have these sorts of quirks. They don't do those things to annoy you, it's just the way they are. So if you can look past that, you'll get along much better."

I finally sat down and did one of those tests, and I discovered that I'm a good candidate for Scientology.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the one that sounds a lot like me. http://www.typelogic.com/infp.html
Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Very interesting, that so many "INTJ" people would end up in one place. INTJ is supposed to be very rare, according to all the descriptions I've read... ie, roughly 1-2% of the population.

That means they're ridiculously overrepresented here at Ornery.

Possible explanations I'm thinking of...

1) The tests people are taking are biased generally toward INTJ.
2) The kind of people who stick around a forum like this (political, but with very broad representation) are more likely to be of the rough type.
3) OSC, in writing several books about geniuses with lots of extra layers beneath their interactions with others, may have just attracted the type.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an ENFP, with the EP portion particularly expressed.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFP, interesting. I was undecided on many of the questions.

I never though of myself as being a combination of Mr Rogers and Calvin of Hobbes fame.

Perhaps a Homer (the poet, not the Simpson) Shakespeare combination makes more sense, or a Helen Keller/St John.

[ April 02, 2006, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Pelegius ]

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WarrsawPact:
Very interesting, that so many "INTJ" people would end up in one place. INTJ is supposed to be very rare, according to all the descriptions I've read... ie, roughly 1-2% of the population.

That means they're ridiculously overrepresented here at Ornery.

Actually (and anecdotally [Wink] ), my other online hangout (a writing game of sorts) asked the same question--we found out that a fair number of us were slotted as INTJ, about 70% of the overall population. And yes, I was one of them (though I wobble into INTP occasionally).

I'm going to guess it has something to do with the type of hangout.

(Edit: Mrm.. this time I tested as an INFJ, with the strongest attribute being 'J'. Fascinating. Or not. [Wink] )

[ April 02, 2006, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Chael ]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTJ.

I think that this test is probably accurate on the macro scale, but particularly inaccurate on the micro scale. INTJ has always fit me well, but in the last couple of years, I've become significantly less introverted. The test does not seem to show that (my percentages are about the same every time I've taken the test).

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFP or INTJ, depending on my mood at the time of the test. The Kiersey-Bates book, Please Understand Me, has a serious flaw -- at least in my opinion -- in their test, as it often asks the test taker questions framed: Which appeals to you more? I tend to find things opposite of my temperament to be more appealing. So when I take the test, I think: Which describes me more?

I also find it fascinating that so many NTs are here! What an interesting study this could be.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. This time I came up INTJ. When I took the test back in 8th grade, it was ISTJ. The Introverted and Thinking were the strongest in both cases, and I remember that either the S or J was pretty weak when I took it in middle school, but I'm not sure which (looks like the "S", juding by recent results).

The biggest problem I have with these tests is that I sometimes can't tell if I'm giving answers about who I am or if I'm giving answers about the person I'd like to be. That and it's really easy to see through some of the questions.

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roper66
Member # 2694

- posted      Profile for roper66   Email roper66   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFP. Strongly expresses in all four attributes.

I initially took it when I was an Air Force cadet. Turns out I was the polar opposite of almost all the other cadets who tested out strongly ESTJ. The military as an institution seems strongly ESTJ, maybe that's why it attracts so many of those types.

Interesting that when I took it years later after getting out of the military, I tested out INFP again.

THE ESTABLISHMENT DIDN'T CHANGE ME, MAN! [Cool]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzyBink
Member # 2823

- posted      Profile for FuzzyBink   Email FuzzyBink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never scored anything but INTP.

But my scores are rarely above 70 except for the N.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tezcatlipoca
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Tezcatlipoca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISTJ is what I tested about 2 years ago.

And to be honest, I still think I fit that profile. Does that sound right Warrsaw?

Another description of ISTJ

Posts: 1272 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scored INTP as a freshman in college. Both the N and the P, however, were marginal--just a few points of difference. Since the S descriptions fit me poorly, I think I was lured in by what I value (evidence over intuition) rather than what I actually end up using, as well as by my overly emotional conception of what "intuition" meant, at the time.
Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Tez - I think I had the same impression of your profile the last time. You thought it fit pretty well, and I thought it only fit a little bit, about halfway or 60%.

I'll talk to you more about it this weekend.

[ April 03, 2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always come out INTJ. I've taken and been given these tests several times at various Navy commands I've been at and I've never come up as anything other than INTJ.

Is anyone surprised at all at the number of INTJ's that pop up here on Ornery?

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly some people are. I'm not.
Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that you'd see INTJs here.

More introverted people may be more attracted to the internet, where they can control the pace of communication, the topic of conversation (only talking about the things you know about) and the level of intimacy. Small chat is limited by the medium and the environment, but it's got a place if/when people are feeling like it.

INTJs excel where intellect and incisiveness are required, and when you get a certain critical mass of people who demand that you put up or shut up (expecting "inexhaustible reasonability and directness"), you start weeding out other types (like the rabid ideologues and blowhards).

People who post more on forums are those who are more likely to be confident in what they're talking about, people who will be articulate about what they're trying to say, who don't get burned to hard too often in an ideological gauntlet like Ornery.
When INTJs get burned by someone who has supporting evidence or just a good insight, the pragmatism takes over and they can accept -- for the time being -- that a good challenge has been laid before them. That either drives them to prove that critique wrong or to accept the argument.

And again, I think that the fact that this is OSC's site, and that a book like Ender's Game would attract INTJs, may play into this. The rules are pretty well tailored to INTJs as well.

It makes sense in retrospect. I suppose I just didn't expect quite so many.

[ April 03, 2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: WarrsawPact ]

A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koner:
quote:
I always come out INTJ. I've taken and been given these tests several times at various Navy commands I've been at and I've never come up as anything other than INTJ.

I always come out INTJ too. The Navy administered it to me the first time I took it, and the results page had the addendum "incompatible with military service"...
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice analysis, WP. It fits well.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I always come out INTJ too. The Navy administered it to me the first time I took it, and the results page had the addendum "incompatible with military service"...
I think that under MOST circumstances INTJ's have huge problems while in military service. But we seem to fit quite well into the nuclear power community within the Navy. The only thing that resents problems, is the stupid SLOW pace of the beurcracy that we have to deal with for getting any work done that has that word "nuclear" attached to it. Man that is frustrating. LOL
Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think that under MOST circumstances INTJ's have huge problems while in military service.
I sure did...it was really, really frustrating.

quote:
But we seem to fit quite well into the nuclear power community within the Navy.
Yeah, my roommate was prior enlisted and a nuke, and we got along great. Same for our Company Officer (LCMDR Hank Bond, how's that for an action-guy name?).

quote:
The only thing that resents problems, is the stupid SLOW pace of the beurcracy that we have to deal with for getting any work done that has that word "nuclear" attached to it. Man that is frustrating. LOL
That slowness and the complete and utter stupidarbitrariness of a lot of command decisions are what I finally couldn't take any more. If I ever enter the service again, it'll be from the top, dammit!
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INTP, its pretty consistent.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISFJ

Can we get a chart on this?

(poke poke)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've taken score, allowing people to count against multiple areas:

INTJ = 13
INTP = 5
INFP = 5
ENTJ = 2
ISTJ = 1
INFJ = 1
ENFP = 1
ISFJ = 1

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page