Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Changing your Opinion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing your Opinion
Caliban
Member # 2767

- posted      Profile for Caliban   Email Caliban   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiousity question:

How often do people on this forum change their perspective based on the discussions. What is the nature of the changes? Is it an increased recognition of how others think or is it an revision of ones own worldview. Evolutionary changes or epiphanies?

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not often, but it happens. And in my case the changes in my opinions have taken form in all the ways you list. It's differnt depending on the subject and the information I receive that brings about the change.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed my perspective once, but someone told I was still wrong so I changed back.

Seriously, I haven't changed my opinion much. Instead I tend to increase in understanding of my position. I haven't been here that long, so I can't say what will happen in the future.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've changed my opinion more than once on a couple of major points. I'm pretty maliable on the less black&white issues.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that my position has gradually changed over time. It's generally not a huge shift, but it is a shift none the less.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

I recently changed my opinion regarding the use of "torture". It's use doesn't jibe with my view of America, nor does it seem worth the hassle.
Of course, this means that I am MORE in favor of just shooting the bastards... [Big Grin]

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinions on things have changed a lot since I started coming here.

I've changed from being conservative/Republican to conservative/neolibertarian with no allegiance to Republicans or Democrats.

My positions on abortion and gay marriage have changed (or become quite a bit more nuanced). Probably many other things I can't think of at the moment. I don't thing Ornery was the only reason for these shifts, but I won't deny it was a major influence.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed my position on the use of the word marriage to describe same sense partnerships in law. Not that I consider it bad, but that I realized that "it's just a word" cuts both ways.

My position on illegal imigration has changed, not really because of Ornery, but the details of the new position I have arrived at is largely a result of conversations here.

My position on the real danger of a nuclear Iran is in flux, largely because of conversations here. Not that I ever thought it wasn't dangerous, and not that I'm in any way convinced that Iran would launch the second they could be sure of destroying Israel, but the line is moving from about halfway between those lines to somewhere around "A nuclear Iran can support worldwide terror of a far more extreme nature without fear of repraisal."

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've adopted a greater number of leftist positions such as Abortion, Affirmative Action and Hate Crime legislation. At the same time I have become far more intrenched other positions such as marriage, fatherhood, and religious freedom. Essentially, my opponents proved me wrong on a few issues, and dramatically proved me right on other issues.

[ April 06, 2006, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get asked this question quite often.

My politics tend to drift around aimlessly with opinions around here [Wink] . I am now an adamant moderate. I think this is because the major issues are skirted, and the key hidden issues are revealed by our politico junkies.

I have certainly changed my whole direction on Bush War II, and largely from the information gained here.

I've also changed my opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian issue. I am now highly suspicious of Israeli intentions and not nearly as anti-Palestinian as I was. Just arguing for Palestine explicated their plight -- without any affects of Stockholm Syndrome at all.

My ethics, however, are not crumbly like Sinai; they're rockly like Monadnock.

Why do you ask? ARe you holding an opinion you'd like changed?

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban
Member # 2767

- posted      Profile for Caliban   Email Caliban   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why do you ask? ARe you holding an opinion you'd like changed?

Not that I am aware of. I have observed a few comments in threads that suggest people will revise statements and in contrast discussions that continued at cross-purposes.

The revisions were surprising to me as my observations have been that online communities, far from creating free flows of ideas, allow people to surround themselves with opinions that are arbitrarily similar to their own and then wallow in the house of mirrors.

I was curious of the nature of the change underlying the revisions I saw. There are various kinds and degrees of underlying change but even acknowledging the discussion equivalent of a typo is interesting in my opinion.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The revisions were surprising to me as my observations have been that online communities, far from creating free flows of ideas, allow people to surround themselves with opinions that are arbitrarily similar to their own and then wallow in the house of mirrors.
I think this forum does a pretty good job of avoiding that.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, this forum has had a role in shaping my opinions as much as anything. I think I first started visiting in high school, but I registered my Sophmore year of undergrad (I think [Smile] ). In that time, I have become much better informed about things I care about and am generally much more open-minded, especially in the political arena.
Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've changed political parties.

Go Concord Party!

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caliban, as a general rule people here do not change opinions ever, nor do they ever, under any circumstances, admit to being wrong. Occasionly they just shut-up but that isn't really the same thing [Smile]

Case and point, in one of my very first posts, I made an argument so incredibly rational that all the other posters are still shocked [Smile]

http://www.ornery.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000710;p=3&r=nfx

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pelegius,

quote:
Case and point, in one of my very first posts, I made an argument so incredibly rational that all the other posters are still shocked
eh I think that was a case of you posting after everyone else had dropped the thread [Smile]

For instance the 'CO2 science' website disputes your claim

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/data/mwp/qualitative.jsp

However they have a tendency to misrepresent things, so I always take their claims with large grains of salt [Smile]

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also changed my opinion on the threat of dihydrogen monoxide in the atmosphere. I now concede that levels can be uncomfortably high, especially in warmer areas.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a complete 180` on the Iraq War. It wasn't entirely because of discussion here, but this was part of it.
Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Mostly I've learned much more about topics that interest me and how to express myself more clearly. I'm less hard edged and I'm listening more carefully. I did shift my view in one of the morality threads and the extended discussions on Iraq/Iran have forced me to consider more aspects of the problem we face in Iran. Tires me out, actually. My typing has improved a bit, too.
Daruma28
Member # 1388

- posted      Profile for Daruma28   Email Daruma28   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Caliban, as a general rule people here do not change opinions ever, nor do they ever, under any circumstances, admit to being wrong.
Speak for yourself.
Posts: 7543 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I forgot to mention that I agree with Pelegius, but only about Pelegius. Everyone else has shown a willingness to mix a bit of humility into their smartness, well, almost everyone else.
potemkyn
unregistered

I'm definently much more radical than I used to be. Not so much Ornery as life experiences, but that's how I've changed.

But specifically if there was one thing that I switched ships on, it was missle defense. I thought it made a lot of sense, but people hear made a good argument that it simply wasn't worth pursuing and was being pursued for the wrong reasons.

livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Caliban, as a general rule people here do not change opinions ever, nor do they ever, under any circumstances, admit to being wrong.
The word 'general' conflicts with 'not...ever' and most of all, with 'under any circumstances'.
Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But specifically if there was one thing that I switched ships on, it was missle defense. I thought it made a lot of sense, but people hear made a good argument that it simply wasn't worth pursuing and was being pursued for the wrong reasons.
I'm for it but honestly, I can't refute the nay arguments nor do I care to. I'm for it because a) the impulse is there and will grown and b) it makes us spend money trying to do VERY difficult things, which is usually good for civilkization over all.
Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
potemkyn
unregistered

Mr. Kenmaile,

I was actually swayed more by the fact that missle defense was being pursued more for the money to the military-industrial complex than to actually getting a realistic system working. A legitimate research program would be much more likely to win my support than this.

livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

quote:
I was actually swayed more by the fact that missle defense was being pursued more for the money to the military-industrial complex than to actually getting a realistic system working. A legitimate research program would be much more likely to win my support than this.
They'll get serious after we lose NYC or LA.

The Manhattan Project didn't waste much money or time. If anything, the opposite.

But for now: a lovely waste of money that could be going to develop useful things like alternative energy.

Anyway, it;s the basic idea of designing a practical missile defense system that I support.

It's an ideology [Smile]

LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so you believe in lowercase m d s missile defense system. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RP.
Member # 2840

- posted      Profile for RP.   Email RP.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People changing their minds gives me hope. Even when they change their minds from something I agree with to something I don't.

I've seen a lot of it, on other boards and websites. Seeing the responses here has provided an epiphany for me.

After ~14 years of posting to on-line forums, I am at this moment finally prepared to say this: It's not a total waste of time. [Wink]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidzmom
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for kidzmom   Email kidzmom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also changed my opinion on the threat of dihydrogen monoxide in the atmosphere. I now concede that levels can be uncomfortably high, especially in warmer areas.
Drake, I'm really glad to see someone bring this up. Frankly, I think too few of us are aware of the multiple threats dihydrogen dioxide may pose, and not only in the atmosphere. There are reams of evidence, historical and contemporary, that show how dangerous it can be to life and property, especially in large quantities. I'm surprised the federal government hasn't attempted to define it as a controlled substance.
-
-
-
-
[Big Grin]

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page