Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (Pelegius's last post?) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (Pelegius's last post?)
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Peleg, If you do find someplace better, come back and let us know.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pel

I skipped Ornery for a few days and happen to be following up on all the active threads. Let me get this out of the way first. If I knew before this thread that you are 16 years old, I had completely forgotten about it.

I tend to be one of the most obcessive readers on Ornery. I tend to read every single thread, follow every link citation, and otherwise tend to keep my finger on both the substance of posts and to some extent the general quality of such posts. Its a totally self appointed post I took on a couple of years back. That said, I dont think I have ever sent you an email about either your argument methods or their content. In the vast galaxy of self inflated egos that is Ornery, I dont think you ever stood out so badly that I felt compelled to either privately or publicly pick on you.

In my personal judgement you are and have been simply part of the general soil that makes up Ornery. You aren't one of the diamonds or one of the lumps of dung. Just a good solid contributing member who happens to be able to meet the general level of discourse standards on Ornery.

So you should feel slightly tickeled that so many people here have contributed to this thread. In very real terms, you are suddenly standing apart from the crowd as an individual for what amounts to the first time ever on Ornery. I have yet to get to the thread where you had a dust up that lead to this one. But I think that when I do read it it will be a simple case of idealized self engagement hitting a reality wall as so many have commented upon this thread.

Its pretty hard to get your head handed back to you on a silver platter. And it has happened to all of us at one point or another. In fact some of Ornery's best posters in terms of popularity have had every major body part seperated from their core at some point in time. I really don't remeber anyone who after getting eviserated posted an "I am crushed by you miserable louts & leaving thread".

Well maybe Ebony did but other than that people around here have thick skins. No one here really pays that much attention to the real life person behind the posting name. I admit I have personal favorites on Ornery and probably let my critical viewpoint down when reading a post bo such a person. But, honestly no one, even if they hold you in high regard, is going to be effectively moved by your selfless act of falling on your sword because you happen to be dissaluusioned. If you haven't noticed, most people are passing around the pop corn.

The thing is, you got gutted on a thread and a combination of public humiliation and a belief in an ego centric self illusion has lead you to a choice. Choice one, and the one taken by most of Ornery membership very early in their posting career, take your lumps, realize you just lost, it isn't personal, and you better be better prepared for the next argument. Or choice two, shelter your bruised ego and declare the rules of the game biased and intentionally antagonistic because of your "_______" Where "_______" is age, social class, education, sex, political affiliation, occupation, etc.

Choice 2 is the easy one and simply validates the drivel that started this thread and proves the points that were made against you. Choice 1 means you have to work to gain credibility and respect all over again.

While it never clouded my readings of your posts before, now when I read them I'll have that little red flag going up concerning your brat like behavior on this post.

God that was unduley harsh...

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And so it stands.

As of now, I have not decided on rather to quit Ornery, although it is probable that I shall not be posting again soon. But perhaps I shall need again to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, in this way Ornery is much like Heroine, especially as I see the mass uprisings on the streets of my city and the streets of the country and the streets of the world, uprisings which I have predicted and uprisings which have occurred, although it is far from certain that they shall have any effect and entirely improbable that the common person should change the course of a world of politicians.

If indeed I am compelled to return, which may or may not happen, I cannot help but be a different poster. Not less radical, looking at the posts on the Concord site where I sold my soul to the God of pseudo-pragmatism to such an extent that I am now ashamed that I ever tried so hard, and so unsuccessfully, to appeal to the basest instincts of men.

This thread has shown me that there is a great divide between those that disagree with me on ideological grounds, and those who harbor a deep antipathy toward me as an individual. Curiously, there is only the slightest of overlaps and I see that I am often more respected by those with whom I disagree and have fought than by those with whom I have stood on the same ideological plane and spoken the same words, and that is perhaps the most valuable lesson I have learned here.

Salaam,
Pelegius.

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As of now, I have not decided on rather to quit Ornery, although it is probable that I shall not be posting again soon. But perhaps I shall need again to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, in this way Ornery is much like Heroine, especially as I see the mass uprisings on the streets of my city and the streets of the country and the streets of the world, uprisings which I have predicted and uprisings which have occurred, although it is far from certain that they shall have any effect and entirely improbable that the common person should change the course of a world of politicians.
Did you use a random post generator for that? I use the Semantic Inductive Motif Post Layout Editor! (SIMPLE!) for everything I write on Ornery. After endless experimentation, I now have it parameterized for low homonym affinity, high grammar correctness and semi-arch (elliptical) argumentation. I can tell you what my friends tell me -- this is ME! If you're using the same one, try lowering the homonym setting a tad, inching up the grammar setting, and cutting the arch setting way back (you may have run into a feedback loop bug here)...I can't tell what semantic setting you're using, or should use, until you've made those changes first.

...and read The Life of Pi again (or perhaps I should), because now I'm beginning to think that the tiger is more real than you.

-----------------
This post curtsy of SIMPLE!, but I see that I half to fiddle with the humming in setting again again (oops, grammar too), but arch seems ok, I reckon.

[ April 09, 2006, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: DaveS ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Dave, you join the ranks of folks who owe me a keyboard, as mine is now soaked with nose-delivered Coke.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

Ah, my rule is don't drink and drivel.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Focusing on the better paragraph of the post:
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
This thread has shown me that there is a great divide between those that disagree with me on ideological grounds, and those who harbor a deep antipathy toward me as an individual. Curiously, there is only the slightest of overlaps and I see that I am often more respected by those with whom I disagree and have fought than by those with whom I have stood on the same ideological plane and spoken the same words, and that is perhaps the most valuable lesson I have learned here.

Salaam,
Pelegius.

Peace to you too, Pelegius. Most of the folks here on all sides of the ideological divide are good people, and I've sometimes discovered useful information and insight in the posts of the worst people here. But if you're going, then I'm glad at least from your last paragraph that you and I part on good terms.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave S,

yes but what about drinking and reading drivel? [Smile]

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

quote:
yes but what about drinking and reading drivel?
Well, I had an Imperial stout at my favorite brewpub with my lady love right before I sat down at the keyboard this afternoon, so I can say confidently that some of you have grown in estimation in my eyes lately. BTW, I especially wanted to say that you are one of the smartest people I have ever met -- I love you, man!

You might want to try reading this post in a before and after test yourself!

FIJC
unregistered

BTW, what's up with this forum lately? Everything is getting more personal and less intellectually stimulating.

Kind of off the subject, I will say that there are some fantastic posters here. I can't say I've met one in person that I haven't liked. In fact, I had dinner at one of my favorite DC restaurants (Old Ebbitt) with WP and Tez this evening. Had a great time! It was cool to meet Tez, and WP is always such a fun and interesting person to be with.

[ April 09, 2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: FIJC ]

canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was rather personal and intellectually coma-inducing....
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gee, I think I'll start a thread with myself as the subject so everyone will talk about me."

What narcissism.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FIJC,

quote:
BTW, what's up with this forum lately? Everything is getting more personal and less intellectually stimulating.
Everything worth saying has been said [Smile] Seriously, I don't know why we have had a lot of threads without much substance of late... maybe just one of those random thing where we just happened to get a bunch at once...

canadian,

eh not sure who you were refering to but wasn't very nice regardless [Smile]

LetterRip

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Gee, I think I'll start a thread with myself as the subject so everyone will talk about me."

What narcissism.

What support of narcissism to comment on this thread.

A narcissist would start a priovate thread and talk to himself about himself.

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FIJC
unregistered

quote:
"Everything worth saying has been said Seriously, I don't know why we have had a lot of threads without much substance of late... maybe just one of those random thing where we just happened to get a bunch at once..."
I think it's maybe just a slow time of the year for the forum.
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait till the midterm elections roll around [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fel2.0
Member # 2836

- posted      Profile for Fel2.0   Email Fel2.0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know, when I get tired of a board or too angry I just leave the board. I did it here for several months. I don't start a thread where I can wax poetic about myself, discuss me leaving, then keep posting about myself. What a drama queen.

[ April 10, 2006, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Fel2.0 ]

Posts: 231 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What a drama queen.
If so, he's a queen whose drama has gained enough attention to extend into its second thread. COuldn't find anyone to scalp those tickets for ye? [Wink]
Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let this thread die. Now.
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I move that the TempMod doth close it.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun:
quote:
Okay, Dave, you join the ranks of folks who owe me a keyboard, as mine is now soaked with nose-delivered Coke.
Ummm...how else is Coke "delivered"?
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

I have more jokes, but I'll save them for another time and another thread (though this one was particularly rich in possibilities). I'm done posting here. RIP, angstiboy.
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ricky.

I am locking this thread.

OrneryMod

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page