Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Results of a Yearlong (nonscientific) Sociological Study into the Habits of Posters o

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Results of a Yearlong (nonscientific) Sociological Study into the Habits of Posters o
Pelegius
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Pelegius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was slightly over a year ago I began with this name, and the year that followed was not always pleasant. Then, about a week ago, I changed my name out of a desperate hope that I could say speak meaningfully without the weight of antipathy attached to the name Pelegius, the name I chose was meaningful, after stating in my farewell thread that I felt " weak and weary beyond my sixteen years, knowing that my giants, who were not windmills, still [stood] because I could amass no force against them" I was rebaptised as the mad Spanish Knight of La Mancha.

I could not speak meaningfully, nor could I even attempt humour without creating anger and bitterness. The same ones who disliked Pelegius for reasons transcending philosophical viewpoints also condemned Don Quixote after his first posts, when they did not ignore him, that is.

The conclusion I drew from this, rightly or wrongly, was that my personality was wholly incompatible with this forum, and with certain users particularly. I continue to like most posters here immensely, and am particularly grateful for the kindness shown to me by Pete and Richard, but there are a few, approximately five, posters who have driven me from here.

I do not wish to pass judgment, so let us just say that there has been a mutual parting of the ways between us which makes it both uncomfortable and futile for me to post here.

I apologise that this post lacks eloquence, but then my most rhetorically decorated posts always attracted the most scorn, and at least take comfort in the fact that what is written here is fully honest, without being clad in a cloak of well-turned phrases and poetry. been little evident difference between the two ideologies, with the exception of their views on women.

Posts: 1644 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it wasn't the name but the posting style, self involvement and so on? Just a thought, you know...

I appreciate that your self absorbtion is honest. That doesn't make it any more appealing or worth our time. I really fail to see the point of these "That's it, I'm leaving!" posts. I know I am sorry to have caused you such distress, but if you can't take the heat, perhaps the kitchen isn't the best place for thee.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....about five people here don't like/respect you, and that necessitates your leaving? Gimme a break. Half this forum probably doesn't much like or respect me. Hell, you're probably in that half. That doesn't mean I'm taking my marbles and going home.

But I'm about done trying to convince you; do as you like. For my part, I wish you all the best.

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go **** yerself.

Just kidding.

As you may surmise, I am not well-loved either. I can't for the life of me imagine why...

(*sshole)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that intellectual self awareness is not something teenagers are particularly capable of, but you might search for it sometime. The next time you feel a solipsistic outburst like this one coming on, take yourself aside and analyze your rationale first. Try, just for a second, to imagine how very little any one of us cares about your plight. Try to envision the total antipathy to your sad, self imposed martyrdom that the rest of the forum is likely to feel.

I like your posts in general pel, but sometimes you really just need to grow up. This self absorbed blather you're dispensing of late is tiresome. Stick to naive ideas -- it's your strong point.

[ April 15, 2006, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Serotonin'sGone ]

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidA
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
apologise that this post lacks eloquence, but then my most rhetorically decorated posts always attracted the most scorn, and at least take comfort in the fact that what is written here is fully honest, without being clad in a cloak of well-turned phrases and poetry.
What...did you spring Athena-like from the forebrain of Gore Vidal or something?

Seriously dude, do you have any idea how ridiculous, how insufferably precocious and brooding, you seem to the world at large? Of course you do, and you love it, I suspect.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude...some people don't like you.

Got it.

There are a couple posters I can't stand...guess what I do? I don't engage them in discussion.

Oh, sure, occasionaly I forget why I don't engage them in discussion...but they never fail to remind me quickly. I don't let it ruin my day.

If you can't develop a thicker skin, develop a filter. Or, just chuck the whole thing and be done with it...but stop telling us you're leaving.

All I need is this remote control!

And this lamp!

And this chair!

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, Pelegius of la Mancha, you seem to be batting about 50-50 pro-con in responses to your posts about responses to your posting history and its relationship with Orneryans.

Congratulations, you have created a self-focus group.

quote:
All I need is this remote control!

And this lamp!

And this chair!

Another poor white child succumbs to materialist complusion.

My theory, Pelegius of la Mancha, is that you're a 30-something English lit prof venting your frustrations with your as-if students', like, inchoate rambling attempts at grammar much less thematic essays.

My take on rhetorical styles and communicative stances is that of a legendary cross-dresser of the generation before your time, Flip Wilson as Geraldine, who would say, "You do what you *like*, honey. It's YOUR thing!"

The internet is an amazing experience.

[ April 15, 2006, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: livermeer kenmaile ]

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Try, just for a second, to imagine how very little any one of us cares about your plight. Try to envision the total antipathy to your sad, self imposed martyrdom that the rest of the forum is likely to feel.

Aw, speak for yourself, Sero-T. The above is on a par with this:

quote:
The conclusion I drew from this, rightly or wrongly, was that my personality was wholly incompatible with this forum, and with certain users particularly.
Matching "total antipathy" with "wholly incompatible", for starters.

Gezeundheit.

[ April 15, 2006, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: livermeer kenmaile ]

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serotonin'sGone
Member # 1219

- posted      Profile for Serotonin'sGone   Email Serotonin'sGone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kennypoomeister, he found his personality incompatible with the forum at large -- I doubt he's even considered his obsession with martyrdom yet (and the revulsion it inspires. One aspect of the meta at a time now...)
Posts: 1117 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But everyone knows that the ladies love a martyr.

((Males, please don't actually believe that. It makes us womenfolk sad on the inside.))

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikemook
Member # 1519

- posted      Profile for Ikemook   Email Ikemook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take this as some constructive criticism, not a personal attack, if you would, since you seem to be curious as to why people were ignoring you. These are based on my observations of your posts, and my own reflexive knowledge of my initial failures to garner responses from people I responded to.

Of course, I still have occasional trouble getting responses. Which is probably part of the problem (see below) ^_~

Well, I can't say I'm the poster with the most knowledge on posting, but judging from the few (5 or 6, maybe?) posts you made under this name, I can see a few problems:

1. It might have helped a little in your test to have posted more under this new name ^_~

2. When you post on threads that you don't start, make certain your posts are on topic.

3. Not only that, you probably should make your posts longer and more involved than a few sentences. Your posts seem awfully...sparse.

Here's an example:

You posted, on the "Death to Welfare!" thread:

quote:
At first I thought this said "death to warfare" a rather contradictiory statemen, to say the least. Now, I realize that that would have made more sense.

I am a Libertarian, of the John Stuart Mill type, but as for Ayn Rand, I think Sartre was right about her philosophy, which he compared to paedophilia.

First, this has next to nothing to do with welfare. Not in any visible way, anyhow ^_~ Not that it's not an interesting opinion, mind you. Just that it really wasn't on topic.

Second, this could have used more explanation. In what was is Ayn Rand's philosophy like paedophilia? In what way does Objectivism relate to the topic at hand? Why would "death to warfare" have made more sense?

It would have been better to have posted this on a new thread, and include a good three or four paragraphs, drawing from written resources, as to what exactly you meant. Posting it as you did, it's no surprise people ignored you. People on this forum reguarly ignore statements from new people that A) post excessively all at once, or B) post their opinions, but never bother to put up support.

Your posts on the Grading Teachers thread were better, in that they were on topic. But they could have been more elaborate. Essentially, your posting style thus far has been "reactionary quipping."

Hrm...okay, that's probably a bit too harsh *_*

"Reactionary commenting." That's better. What I mean is, you comment on the subject, essentially giving your off-hand opinion, but never support it. You react to the knowledge others are producing, without ever producing your own in turn. If you focus on just stating your thoughts, making sure their on topic, and supporting them well, people will eventually respond to you. Don't try to get them to respond. That doesn't work (or it backfires tremendously ^_~).

Just my thoughts.

Hope you'll stay!

Sincerely and Respectfully,

David Carlson

Posts: 415 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikemook
Member # 1519

- posted      Profile for Ikemook   Email Ikemook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
((Males, please don't actually believe that. It makes us womenfolk sad on the inside.))
*snork* Don't worry. I'm pretty sure that none of us here males are going to go embrace martyrdom anytime...ever.

Now, self-immolation on the other hand...

--David

Posts: 415 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What...did you spring Athena-like from the forebrain of Gore Vidal or something?
Ka-pow! Best one-liner on Ornery in a while . Ain't seen you enough, KidA [Big Grin]

Ed. to add: Who doesn't like you, canadian? Who? Show me da bastid and I'll...not like him right back! [Smile]

[ April 16, 2006, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ornery needs a new thread category alongside General Comments and World Watch called Meta Topics. Threads about Pelegius and how to get UBB to support additional smileys and new font sizes would go there.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SwampJedi
Member # 915

- posted      Profile for SwampJedi   Email SwampJedi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pel, if you dropped the drama queen posturing, things would go much better for you. How many tragic hero posts are we going to get before you grasp this not-so-subtle truth?

And canadian, though I rarely agree with you, I do enjoy your posts. [Wink]

The only one I hate is that Palpatine guy. Little green friend, pah!

Posts: 91 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

quote:
doubt he's even considered his obsession with martyrdom yet
After all, he has you and many others here doing that for him.

Delegation has its virtues.

livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

quote:
a) What...did you spring Athena-like from the forebrain of Gore Vidal or something?

b) Ka-pow! Best one-liner on Ornery in a while .

It do dazzle, yes? Like one of those surreally sarcastic illustrations for a personality article in The New Yorker.

canadian, just because we think you're a shmuck doesn't mean we don't *like* you.

(silly twit)

[ April 16, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: livermeer kenmaile ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page