Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Let's avoid a new Serenity.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's avoid a new Serenity.
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm speaking, of course, of the new version of Battlestar Galactica. I was very skeptical.

However, ignoring a number of plot holes, it seems pretty interesting. If you are a fan, call now. It's been transfered to a 2 am time slot. That is close to a kiss of death.

If you are a fan, make your voice heard.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuxmask3
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for tuxmask3   Email tuxmask3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry, it's just on hiatus until October. Long wait, but there you go.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BSG is probably the most popular show SciFi channel's ever had. Like tuxmask3 mentioned, the show is between seasons at the moment and will pick back up in October.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SwampJedi
Member # 915

- posted      Profile for SwampJedi   Email SwampJedi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that there's no more Firefly continues to depress me. [Frown]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, flyedye45, you got me to read the thread. Let's not cry wolf again, however, kay? [Smile]
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

I was hoping that you were a BSG fan, jav! I am disappointed that you are not.

While not Whedon, it's some of the better writing out there on a Sci Fi show.

On a seperate note, I cannot believe the incredible production values they put into that show.

And tuxmask3, thank you for the update.

witless chum
Member # 1643

- posted      Profile for witless chum   Email witless chum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didcha know some of those special effects are done by the same people, Zoic, who did "Firefly's" effects.

The "Battlestar Galactica" miniseries' space shots were very "Firefly" esque, with handheld camera-ish shots in space and an avoidance of "stately" shots, especially in the first sequence where Galactica's Vipers head out to intercept the Cylons. (Not a major spoiler, don't worry)

Also, for geeks as geeky as I, watch the scene in the first bit of miniseries when we first meet Laura Roslin and look out the window behind her. A ship very familiar to people who know who the Hero of Canton is can be seen.

Galactica isn't as good as the dearly departed, but it's more a preference thing, where BSG is a think about this, politics and economics and such show, while "Firefly" was almost totally about the characters.

Posts: 642 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

BSG also totally eschews humor. Though the "God" thing is getting pretty tiresome.
fizz
Member # 1706

- posted      Profile for fizz   Email fizz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that irks me more about bsg is how they made an alien culture mirror so closely the 20-21th century american (not even western) culture, writings included. I mean, I know that's easier on the american viewer to identify, but they could at least have justified it by saying, for example, that earth was not the 13th lost colony but instead the original homewrold... or they could have made the colonial culture a bit more exotic: I mean, the original bsg while quite naive tried much more... It's like the men-batteries thing of the Matrix: a small details that ruins all the suspension of disbelief.... It's a pity because I like quite a lot the "style" of the show (direction, tone of the scripts etc.).
Posts: 153 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flydye> I'm finding "the God thing" downright interesting. Of course, I'm a theist, compelled to question whether perhaps the Cylons may not be right, at least within the context of the show.
Posts: 223 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flydye45:
I was hoping that you were a BSG fan, jav! I am disappointed that you are not.

While not Whedon, it's some of the better writing out there on a Sci Fi show.

On a seperate note, I cannot believe the incredible production values they put into that show.

And tuxmask3, thank you for the update.

I'm a fan of BSG. It's no Firefly, but I was VERY impressed by a couple of episodes last season. However, it isn't in danger. This is to what I am referring. [Smile]

[ April 18, 2006, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: javelin ]

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slightly off topic but it's a shame that the HD DVD of Serenity didn't add any new bonus features.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

It seems to go in fits and starts. For example, the second season seemed chopped up, with a faux "season ender" with the Pegasus episode.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page