Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Irani jews are required to wear yello ribbons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Irani jews are required to wear yello ribbons
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3083,00.html

not only jews though, christians are required to wear red ribbons.

yet another alienating did from Iran.
i wonder if the UN inspectors, and europeans and americans "goodie two shoes" who come to protect Iran from western aggression, are also required to wear those identifying ribbons

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more reason for "regime change".

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the ribbons tied in concentric circles, and worn on the chest and back?
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And not a peep about this yet from the western media.
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I heard about it this morning on the radio, which, last time I checked, was located in the west [Smile] The meeting I had called (!!) was sidetracked by a discussion on this, and the lunch crowd was abuzz...

What concerns me most is that nobody has said anything about the Zoroastrians needing a blue ribbon...

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada.com is reporting it... but that's all I can find. Wonder if it hasn't been confirmed yet? Reuters doesn't even have it.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not exactly western...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure once a better translation of the law is available, it will be found that non-Muslims will simply be required to wear "15 pieces of flair".
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, basically, since there isn't really any educated person on earth unfamiliar with Nazi policies, the Iranian government is pushing for an elevated conflict.

Not for a second do they do this out of ignorance of history.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was up with this on my Hebre blog almost an hour before YNET in English, and even 5 minutes before the Hebrew edition. [Big Grin]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update

The guy's web site is not impressing the hell out of me, but what he says makes sense. We'll know soon whether this is true or not.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Hey Jav, you're canuck, right? Is Canada.com a respected outlet? I know this National Post is new, and from what I see in their site they seem a wee bit sensationalist.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AP is reporting this is uncorroborated

quote:
In Tehran, legislator Emad Afroogh, who sponsored the bill and chairs the parliament's cultural committee, told The Associated Press on Friday there was no truth to the Canadian newspaper report.

"It's a sheer lie. The rumors about this are worthless," he said.

Afroogh said the bill seeks only to make women dress more conservatively and avoid Western fashions.

"The bill is not related to minorities. It is only about clothing," he said. "Please tell them (in the West) to check the details of the bill. There is no mention of religious minorities and their clothing in the bill," he said.

Iranian Jewish lawmaker Morris Motamed told the AP: "Such a plan has never been proposed or discussed in parliament. Such news, which appeared abroad, is an insult to religious minorities here."

At Iran's mission to the United Nations, a diplomat, speaking anonymously because he was not allowed to make official statements, called the report "completely false."

This isn't about tagging minorities, apparently, it is about repressing their women.

Whew, I feel so much better.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
Hey Jav, you're canuck, right? Is Canada.com a respected outlet? I know this National Post is new, and from what I see in their site they seem a wee bit sensationalist.

I have no idea if they are any good - it was just the only other site I could find.

And, while I'm happy to be confused with one, I'm actually from Portland, OR - in the United States. Raised in the Pacific Northwest, mostly.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', the author mentions that the government made all the non-Muslim business owners post that fact outside. She also mentioned that the Baha'i weren't allowed to bury their dead in cemeteries.

So, whether or not the patches are true, there is evidence that the Iranian government isn't tolerant towards other religions. Try not to be too shocked.

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', the author mentions that the government made all the non-Muslim business owners post that fact outside."

That's also an historical Nazi move, leading up to Krystalnacht.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind. [Smile]

[ May 19, 2006, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 2936 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

I've also found references to a similar law passed by the Majlis in 1984, but vetoed by the mullahs.

Sorry Jav - JasonR is from north of the 49th [Smile] its the Ja thing.

Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what do we do about them?

i know that the fact that jews will be required to wear yelloW patches wont budge the world that much. because history records show that it didnt budge 60 years ago...

but that the Chirstians need to wear red patches... where are all the chirstian states damanding to free their brothers in iran?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Hannibal, I don't think you're following: According to most of the evidence we have at this point, the report simply isn't true.

Maybe in five minutes we will recieve news to the contrary, but right now this is the situation. So we need to chill about this, don't you agree?

Hannibal
Member # 1339

i dont want to chill about iran.

because frankly to me, its pretty obvious that give or take a year, some such country in the world will be in war with them

Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

I mentioned this on another thread and got no response, but if the rest of the world does nothing, what is the general feeling for what Israel will do if Iran develops nuclear weapons?
RickyB
Member # 1464

Don't chill about Iran, but chill about the badge for minorities thing. At least till we find any sort of corroboration.
RickyB
Member # 1464

If they get close to actually developing and no-one stops them, I can see most concievable Israeli governments bombing their facilities.
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Which will basically suck every other Arab country into the conflict in a show of solidarity?
Storm Saxon
Member # 1070

Yes, I know Iranians are Persians. Maybe I should say Middle Eastern Muslim country.
javelin
Member # 1284

quote:
Originally posted by RickyB:
I've also found references to a similar law passed by the Majlis in 1984, but vetoed by the mullahs.

Sorry Jav - JasonR is from north of the 49th [Smile] its the Ja thing.

No reason to be sorry - doesn't bother me at all. [Smile]
RickyB
Member # 1464

quote:
"Which will basically suck every other Arab country into the conflict in a show of solidarity?
I didn't see that happening with the bombing of Saddam's reactor in '81. On the contrary - most countries in the region were secretly glad we did it, and would be secretly glad if we did it again.

I don't think we should at this point. I'm just saying that if push really does come to shove, I think most Israeli PM's would sign off on an attack.

Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the sort of thing the Iranians would do, but of course this particular story rings false, simply because they would find a much less obvious way of repressing minorities that didn't instantly scream NAZIS!!
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

even Ehud "Smallmert"???

ha ha... i am happy with my wit, but only Ricky will understand the double meaning

ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Canadian, I can tell you the National Post is as respected as any other newspaper around . . . which isn't saying that much. I'm sure they are as eager to break a sensational story before everyone else as much as any other newspaper.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

[Big Grin] @ Hannibal
Thanks, ngthagg. I guess they just got suckah'd this time.

DonaldD
Member # 1052

retraction
Hannibal
Member # 1339

we still need to nuke them.
1) it whould be fun to finally use our nukes
2) it whould be fun to show them who does the wiping off the map
3) it whould be fun to watch nuclear explosions on CNN
4) no one whould miss them anyway, who cares about iran? and after we nuke them, you can move in and take all the oil you want.
5) they will probably do that yellow patch anyway somtime in the near future

Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Hannibal. That's an old idea.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

they allready hate us, a big one more or less wont make any difference
RickyB
Member # 1464

Do you imagine them as kids as they get incinerated, or only as grown, hateful adults, all looking like ayatollahs or ahmedinajed?
Hannibal
Member # 1339

10x for telling me that Iranis have kids.

I actually think about it on the macro scale - that is, i think about the nuclear mushrooms.

anyway, since the only way of communication here is typing, and i am bad in conveying sarcasm, and the fact that i am/was in a bad mood when i wrote that down. so forget about it anyway

RickyB
Member # 1464

Gladly :-)
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alzabo,

Best laff I had on Ornery in years.

"15 pieces of flair"

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page