Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Commencement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Commencement
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I graduated today. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and not for reasons of course work, but for overcoming psychological blocks.

That aside, our keynote speaker today was Barak Obama. When I can find a transcript of his speech online, I will post it. It wasn't his convention speech, but it was very good, and his delivery is excellent. He struck just the right combination of humor, good advice on graduation, and politics. (Yes, we knew he would speak on politics. He's a senator. What do you want? But it wasn't the theme of his speech).

I look forward to this man running for president. He can't help but raise the level of national discourse. THere are very few politicians out there today who I feel really dig into the meat of issues, and examine them carefully, and then address their opponents on those issues respectfully.

Obama is one of them.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Ev!

I certainly hope you're celebrating in some excessive fashion right now.

[Smile]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I am! I took a 3 hour nap this afternoon, watched the red sox, and am going to sleep for 12 hours tonight [Smile]

My party is sunday.

Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw your quip on messenger earlier today. I assumed you were out having fun. Congrats on finishing what is for many an increasingly difficult thing to do. Now I cant wait to see how your oppinions begin to develop as you become a permanent member of the real world.
Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooooh....12 hours of sleep.....in a row?

<slaver>

Admit it, Red, you're jealous too. I know you've got a little kid over there too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Ev! I just graduated this year. It's a great feeling. (And then I remembered I was in graduate school already, and the feeling evaporated. [Big Grin] )

I'd vote for Obama if he were running and the Republicans put up someone sufficiently stupid (50/50 chance, really).

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Ev. Did't someone else tell us also that his commencement speaker was Obama?

I want to work on his next campaign. [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I graduated two weeks ago today, and our commencement speaker was some hack alumn who now has a TV show on MSNBC, a column, a law degree, her PhD and has a job as a professor somewhere. I know all of these facts because they were the focus of her address.

Perhaps it's becuase my school was very small (total student body less than 800, graudating class of 130 people) and thus can't afford anyone good, but you'd think we'd be able to hire someone who could give an address that wasn't just a narrative form of her CV. It was apalling. The woman's speach was about morality and how individuals have a tendency to shy away from moralizing in public (ie, calling people out in public for doing something they find immoral), which I found to be a great topic. In general, I agreed with her message. The problem is, she tried to illucidate her message by telling her all the neat jobs she has (It's a TV show! On Cable news!!!) without ever addressing the morality of using the commencement address of over a hundred students for self-promotion.

So I guess you could say Ev and I had very different experiences with our commencement addresses. [Smile]

Anyhow, congrats to my fellow members of the Class of 2006 and whatnot. I'm currently looking for a job to take my mind of school for a couple of years before I head back into the grind. Anyone got anything interesting? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really hard to go back. If you can possibly do it, stay.

After you get used to making money and having a well-off lifestyle, it's difficult to pare it back - especially once you have a mortgage, mouths to feed, and two car payments.

I managed to do it only from total desperation.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible to take a couple years off without getting a mortage, having kids, or signing car loans [Smile]

Congrats to all of you. My wife graduates on the 16th, and then I don't have to pay all our bills anymore. Is it wrong to feel relief at that?

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is it wrong to feel relief at that?"

Fock no! [Big Grin] I was happy my wife was able to be with our son until he was a year old, but hell yeah I was relieved that half of the rent and the daycare wasn't gonna be bleeding out of my account anymore. [Smile]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060602-university_of_massachusetts_at_boston_commencement_address/index.html

There's the speech.

ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Ev!
Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats from me too
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page