Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "Hadji Girl" (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Hadji Girl"
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
enlighten me, what did i miss? if you would be so kind.
Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tonylovern - welcome back! Long time, no see.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you, its nice to be back, its always good to realize how wrong i am. humility being good for the soul and all.

i have been lightly lurking, maybe an hour or 2 a week spent reading. today however i took off work. so i may have time to participate in one whole thread.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Well, feel free to ignore our local carmudgeon. [Smile]

I think there's a translation for the arabic words in one of the earlier posts.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,

The arabic words are a direct quote of a line from the movie "Team America: World Police". Reading some of the articles and commentary on the internet would let you know that he started with that quote and wrote the rest of the song around it.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm curious whether you waited to post before you did the "necessary" research yourself, Dave. Based on what you've said in this thread, I find that highly unlikely.
On the basics of the story, yes, I had read a considerable amount from various points of view well before Omega made her comment on the Miscellaneous thread which spawned this thread. On some of the side topics perhaps I have let my emotions drive my thoughts. In particular on the topic of first ammendment rights where our servicemembers are concerned, I did specifically ask ask if people thought that they should have their first amendment rights protected, not whether they were. I did not look up what the UCMJ articles concerning the subject were, though I know there are some, but they don't relate directly on my question concerning whether they should be protected.

I have been extremely busy with work and non-work stuff and have not been able to spend as much time here as I would like and have tended to respond quickly and emotionally and probably incompletely when I have taken the time to react at all on this thread.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

quote:
I don't go and do extensive research on every news story.
Ricky,

Sorry, it seems that you always have research at your fingertips or are asking for links to help you research something, which is why this statement surprises me. I don't read every thread on this forum though, so I suppose that I could have a skewed perspective.

tonylovern
Member # 2580

alrighty, for some reason i've never seen that movie, or been interested enough to look it up. not that i've had much time for that lately, not on dial up. damn my missed pop culture references.

i suppose i should look it up now, though i doubt it will change my opinion as to how serious a transgression this is.

Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is despicable, and the crude mockery of Arabic that the song uses as a chorus qualifies as hate speech.
quote:
also i would ask questions to sate my own curiosity. what do the arabic lyrics mean, if anything?
Has nobody in this thread seen Team America?

EDIT: I see Dave beat me to it. At least I'm not the only one who got the reference.

[ June 20, 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Adam Lassek ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marine in question admits he made a mistake.

If a videotape of a servicemen having sex is widely distributed, he can be dishonorably discharged. It doesn't matter if he distributed it, although it does matter if he was aware the tape was being made.

Those who don't understand why this Marine is responsible for his actions, and why he believes himself to be, and why he has expressed remorse we can only assume to be genuine .... really don't get it.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave - I try to do research, especially on important things, but when I read a story like this, I don't necessarily google it till I'm an expert. I appreciate the link you provided and improved my opinion of this particular Marine enormously, and despite Jesse very true words, I hope he specifically gets treated with leniency. However, the moron who uploaded the sing should be dishonorably discharged.
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page