Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » ***SPOILER ALERT*** USA - Ghana thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ***SPOILER ALERT*** USA - Ghana thread
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost 2:1. Too bad. We had some very good moments, but they didn't add up enough.

Reyna sucks. Not only did he lose the ball that led to the first Ghana goal, he also managed to get hurt in the process, even though the steal was totally clean. Then again, the way he's been playing, maybe it was for the best.

Landon Donovan was a big disappointment this game. Nothing at all in the first half, and not nearly enough in the second. Very bad shot on goal after a great header pass by McBride (good game).

I don't understand Arena. It's more than fine to add a striker instead of a defender, but why take out Cherondolo? He was the best US player in the 1st half.

Eddie Johnson, who came in, was good, but lacked luck in the finish. I was annoyed by the weak shots high over the bar in the second half.

We dominated the second half, but Ghana had at least as many legit scoring chances as we did.

We could probably have advanced in group 4 (Portugal and Mexico), Group 7 (France, South Korea and the Swiss), and possibly in group 1 (Germany and Ecuador) and 8 (Spain and the Ukaraine).

Life is tough, but at least Ghana advanced. They stand very little chance against Brazil, especially without their star Assien. But hey - that's why they actually play the game. [Smile]

Ed. to add: the American team's fabulous physical condtioning was on display again today. The extremely well conditioned Ghanese finished the game panting. Very impressive.

[ June 22, 2006, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think i know why americans dont like soccer...

its all about "wold series" and "world champions" for you.

the american baseball title is "world seiries" the american basketball title is "world champion" i dont know about the hockey one, but i am taking a guess it involves the word "world" in it in some combination or the other.
the american football title is also "world champion"

while in soccer, like it or not, and assume as much as you want about how well the american team could have fared in "wicker houses" (i dont see america defeat ecuador, or swicherland, or france, or south korea, defentely not spain) the american soccer team is nothing more then mediocre. that equals around a "third rank" european team.
(a short explanation... the european quilification rounds consist of 8 houses with 5 or 6 teams, and each house has one team from each rank, from 1 the best to 6 the worst, and only the first two places make it to the world cup)
what i am trying to say... is had the USA been playing the european qualifications, it whould have had a very hard time to get to the world cup

[ June 22, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce Arena needs to go. The US team looked out-coached in every part of every game I saw them play. They didn't seem to know what they needed to be doing when, and their decision making abilities were very unsophisticated compared to those of the teams they were playing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean that the US could have finished ahead of Spain or France (although France really suck so far), but they could have finished second in those groups.

It's true that the US would have a much harder time qualifying from Europe. And while we're on the subject - 4 teams from CONCACAF (the central and north america division of FIFA) is ludicrous. Asia totally deserves another team, Africa too. 3 is more than enough for such a weak (and small) division like CONCACAF.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Arena got outcoached against the Czechs, rebounded big time against Italy, and today...a mixed grade. The players are well disciplined tactically, which is to his credit. As for the decision-making - that's because most of our boys simply aren't as good as most of the players they face. They don't grow up watching the highest level of play on a regular basis, rarely play against the highest level, and it shows.
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 teams? who made it?

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica and?

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Trinidad-Tobago [Smile]
Hannibal
Member # 1339

thats really rediculous then
3 teams is too much for them, i say one more for europe and one more for south america, or even two more for europe

RickyB
Member # 1464

Um, Europe has 14 teams in the world cup. South America only has 12 nations. Why not Asia or Africa? They only have 4 each, and each have more than 50 nations in them.
Hannibal
Member # 1339

i wasnt thinking about that,
but Uruguay for instance, missed this world cup.

on the other hand, cameroon also missed this world cup.
one thing for certain, central and north america, send too many teams

RickyB
Member # 1464

You know why? [Big Grin]
Hannibal
Member # 1339

BRASIL HAS ARRIVED LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!

the party begins!!

RickyB
Member # 1464

Yeah, though it was just a limited Japan. But they looked good, like they finally got the "dance *together*" memo. [Smile]

Ghana doesn't stand a chance against them without Assien in the next round. In the quarters, barring surprises, it's Brazil-Spain. *That* should be interesting.

Good for the Ozzies for advancing too. Love the Guus!

KnightEnder
unregistered

What the **** are you talking about Hannibal? It's the "World Cup" isn't it? We are no good at soccer because Americans don't like soccer, not the other way around.

KE

Loki
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Loki   Email Loki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donovan is the shank master, it's sad. I made ten dollars on Ghana, and that was good enough for me, I pity them against Brazil.

Japan's goalkeeper was fairly amazing during the amazing first half. Second half became a bloodbath.

Posts: 311 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things have confirmed my decision to dislike soccer - in addition to some more ridiculous cards.

One: turning the ball over deliberately because you feel bad for the hurt player on the other team.

This would never happen in an American sport, and you could even hear the Americans groan in the stands the second time it happened. The American broadcaster noted it as well. When your opponent is hurt, that's when you strike!

Two: A free kick

Which resulted in the ball sailing 20 feet from the goal, untouched by any other player. This is like tee-ball. How do you miss so badly when the ball is motionless on the ground and the defenders are restricted from pressuring you? This may be as much about the American players as it is about the sport, however, I've seen similar situations for other teams.

The End.

KE: I don't think you can say we don't like soccer. We play it as kids and then outgrow it.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggis
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for Haggis   Email Haggis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One: turning the ball over deliberately because you feel bad for the hurt player on the other team.

This would never happen in an American sport, and you could even hear the Americans groan in the stands the second time it happened. The American broadcaster noted it as well. When your opponent is hurt, that's when you strike!

American sports do not have a running clock. If a player is injured in football, there is an injury time-out. Play stops. The player can be attended to. In soccer, doctors and trainers cannot come onto the field when there is a live ball. So if someone is hurt, and the opposing team has possession, it is considered good sportsmanship to kick the ball out so the injured player can be attended to. That part makes sense.

The part that sucks is that when teams are in the lead, players have an incentive to milk it when they go down on a play because they know that most of the time the ref is fairly conservative on adding extra time at the end of a game.

I do have to say that Balboa is one of the worst soccer commentators I have ever heard. I hear better commentary every time I play a game on my X-box.

Posts: 1771 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta give you credit for the X-box line, but I point you to another sport with a running clock -- Rugby.

A rugby player would never stop play because a teammate is down. When play moves on, the trainers will come onto the field while the game is in progress. A teammate might kick the ball away into touch, but only if he is behind the 22 meter line.

Only 12 months to the rugby world cup, qualifying under way. More to come in rugby world cup thread...

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

Haggis summed the matter of kicking the ball out. Winning is very important, but it's not worth trampling a guy for or denying him the quick treatment that can prevent complications. I don't think I've seen anyone launch for a dunk over the chest of a prone screaming player. In Rugby the game generally continues downfield and so a player left behind is more approachable. It's one of the classiest things about soccer. You gotta understand that soccer is a semi-contact sport, and a finesse sport. physically hurting the opponent is not what it's about. In Rugby it kinda is [Smile]

As for free kicks - try it and you'll understand. My friends here in Israel often underestimate the difficulty of throwing a football properly, or catching it in traffic, because they've never tried it. If there were no wall, maybe 90% of shots would be on goal or within a foot. However, the need to circumvent the wall causes shots to be more error prone.

Ivan
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for Ivan   Email Ivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that really bugs me about soccer is that you get rewarded for whining and crying when nothing really happened to you. There's something to be said for "drawing a foul", but that shoundn't extend to lying on the ground crying about it. When players pull that crap and drag the stretcher out onto the field, stopping play for two minutes, it really irks me. Especially when, another 2 minutes later, they're back out on the field running around like nothing happened.

Let me see some more penalties (and cards!) for flopping and then we'll talk.

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of these sports discussions really have only one logical conclusion: rugby rules. Thiry players, one ref, full contact . . . as much running as soccer, as much hitting as football, passes at least as graceful as anything in basketball or hockey, and . . . well . . . far more interesting than baseball.

Do you dislike dives and flopping? If you sub out in a rugby game you're done. The only exception is a blood sub, when you have a visible cut. Rugby is just as aggressive as football, but not nearly as violent since there are essentially no pads in rugby.

The players (in my opinion) have the best all around conditioning, because they need to fill every role on the field, even if they specialize in one position. Every player out there can pass, kick, run, tackle, ruck, and maul.

Team play is emphasized greatly in rugby because the key is possesion, not position. Sprinting down half the field means nothing if you don't have a teammate to pass to when you get tackled.

Incidentally, the only thing I love more than watching rugby with a bunch of friends is playing rugby with a bunch of friends. Rugby has a great tradition of camaraderie, where players from both teams will head off to the local pub after the game. What happens on the field stays on the field. (I don't know how much of this applies to World Cup Rugby.)

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

My generations cringes at the thought of playing it. I'm old. But neither of my sons played soccer either. Maybe it's a Texas thing?

KE

Hannibal
Member # 1339

americans are hopless

luckily israel has not been assimilated completley to the american colture

Hannibal
Member # 1339

i prefer watching Braveheart, Gladiator, Excalibur or Troy, on watching a rugby game, the effects are much more entertaining
Paladine
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for Paladine   Email Paladine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing you haven't been assimilated into American culture. [Wink]
Posts: 3235 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

LOL, Paladine [Big Grin]

Rugby is limited. It has one basic formation - the diagonal line.

Diving is annoying, but hey - every sport has its downsides. Turn on Argentina-Mexico now for a good match.

RickyB
Member # 1464

Well, the first half was better, but if you did tune in you saw another gem of a long-range goal. I *like* this new ball [Big Grin]
Hannibal
Member # 1339

you wish to add me into your colective

but i wont go down that easilly.
what i need is a promise of citizenship, and a job, then i will consider being assimilated.

on this friday, we are going to relive the final of mexico 86, and italy 90.
ahhhhhhh.... the whole world (minus the USA i guess) will watch Argentina - Germany.

Vamos Argentina!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page