Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Messages from God (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Messages from God
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larfoutloud
Member # 2881

- posted      Profile for Larfoutloud   Email Larfoutloud       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comedic gold.

This thread delivers.

Posts: 119 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It may be that the faith used in prayer, much like the state of meditation, allows us to access those parts of the brain we aren't using.
What parts?
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The god-ish parts.

They're very small.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I can't argue with you when you put it that way [Razz]
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I suspect he was knocked unconscious by the Big Bang. [/QB]

RFLMAO [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That one even made my wife laugh.

Larf,

Did your parents go to the newspaper with this miracle? If not, why not?

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Larf,

I don't mean to be rude, not this time anyway. And my wife is sure that you totally believe your story. She's just sure that you've heard your parents tell the story and it's gotten embellished over the years the way all family stories do. The story of me vomiting into the brocoli bowl gets more horrific every Thanksgiving.

That said; I'm sure your sister did have a disease/infection and I'm sure she did get better and for that I'm glad. I only wonder why any true god would ever make a child suffer to begin with? And even if you/someone comes up with an answer is any god that makes/lets children suffer worth worshipping?

I just realized that I can't write god without my finger automatically going to the Caps Lock button. And I've been an atheist since I was a child, almost thirty years ago. And I still love/worship my dad no matter what an abusive alcoholic he was. Amazing how much influence even bad parents have on us.

KE

[ June 30, 2006, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

quote:
The movie, What tнe Bleep Do ωΣ (k)πow!?

Emoto's photographs are featured in the 2004 film What tнe Bleep Do ωΣ (k)πow!?, directed by followers of Ramtha. This film creates the impression that the water crystals it shows were created by mental effort, whereas the procedure as described on Emoto's web sites involves freezing the water.

Dr. William A. Tiller, another controversial researcher featured in the movie What tнe Bleep Do ωΣ (k)πow!?, has pointed out that Emoto’s experiments fall short of proof, since Emoto's experiments monitor the water contaminants as well as the rate of cooling but neglect to measure or control a third important factor involved in the supercooling of water.

I knew I'd seen that somewhere before.

KE

Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about jokes with divine intervention, I like this one.

Guy is in a flooding area, but expects God to save him. As the flood waters rise a 4x4 truck comes by and offers him a ride to safety. "No, I'm waiting for God to save me," he replies. The water contiues to rise forcing him to the 2nd story of his house. A rescue boat comes by and offers him a ride to safety. "No, I'm waiting for God to save me," he replies. The water contiues to ride until he is stuck on the last foot of roof still about water. A helicopter flys over and lowers a basket for him to climb into. "No, I'm waiting for God to save me," he replies. The waters rise and the man dies. He gets up to the Pearly Gates and confronts St. Peter. "Why didn't God save me?"

Peter replies, "We sent a truck, a boat, and a helicopter! What more do you want?"

Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larfoutloud
Member # 2881

- posted      Profile for Larfoutloud   Email Larfoutloud       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnightEnder:
Larf,

I don't mean to be rude, not this time anyway. And my wife is sure that you totally believe your story. She's just sure that you've heard your parents tell the story and it's gotten embellished over the years the way all family stories do. The story of me vomiting into the brocoli bowl gets more horrific every Thanksgiving.

That said; I'm sure your sister did have a disease/infection and I'm sure she did get better and for that I'm glad. I only wonder why any true god would ever make a child suffer to begin with? And even if you/someone comes up with an answer is any god that makes/lets children suffer worth worshipping?

I just realized that I can't write god without my finger automatically going to the Caps Lock button. And I've been an atheist since I was a child, almost thirty years ago. And I still love/worship my dad no matter what an abusive alcoholic he was. Amazing how much influence even bad parents have on us.

KE

I don't think that God gives people sickness, and gets a kick out of it. I don't think that God wants anyone to be sick, ever, but that's the world that we live in today. It's not perfect, but that's our fault for not being perfect.

I can see why you would ask that, though, and I'm not offended to the smallest degree. I was there, and remember seeing it happen - vaguely - but I still remember it.

Also, as far as why we didn't go to the papers, well probably the same reason that we never sued any of the 4 drunk drivers that totaled, you guessed it, 4 of our family cars. My dad just didn't do things that way.

Posts: 119 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livermeer kenmaile
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for livermeer kenmaile   Email livermeer kenmaile       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"1. During my first tournament in the big leagues. I was having a terrible tournament (I was playing good but every great shot I hit someone made the play of their life on) and was convinced I was going to be cut. I had one of those atheist in a foxhole moments; praying that I could do something great to make up for stinking, and then I saw what was going to happen before it happened. Long short I (my one weakness was a relatively weak arm) ended up diving in the hole and throwing a strike to first off my knees to win the game. The whole time, even before the guy hit it where I knew he was going to hit it, was tingling all over and everything was going in slow-motion. It was the weirdest experience. Sureal. No proof, but I'm positive something otherworldly happened that day. Weird coming from me, huh?"

Friend of mine had a similar time-dilation experience during a martial arts exercise with someone who was far far advanced over him: things suddenly slowed down, a 'window' of observation appeared before my friend; he placed his arm into the window: and time reverted to normal as the far advanced kung fu instructor fell to the ground with a hammered solar plexus.

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of a Matrix-moment.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meet the Neo-God, same as the...
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page