Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Ornery Smoking Strawpoll (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ornery Smoking Strawpoll
Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one line saying if you smoke or have smoked (maybe some indication of number, 30 a day etc.), mine is;

Non-smoker, no history beyond 1 cigarette in school bike shed!

Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Never, not in a million years
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fel2.0
Member # 2836

- posted      Profile for Fel2.0   Email Fel2.0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Non-smoker. Was around three cigs a day for a year in college.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit
Member # 1299

- posted      Profile for Kit   Email Kit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never have, don't plan on starting.
Posts: 704 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfallmann
Member # 2148

- posted      Profile for sfallmann   Email sfallmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoked for 10 years then quit 3 years ago. I'll never go back.
Posts: 396 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked straw, never will.

Or anything else.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoked cigarettes occasionally in college and a year after, less than 1 pack/week. Smoke occasionally if drinking or at reunions or funerals.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked, never will.
Also consider it a turn-off.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never smoked anything.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never have, never will.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a collection of pipes that I enjoy once in a while (about once a month or so, usually when the conditions are picture perfect). Never inhaled, though. However, the tobacco is much different than you would find in cigarrettes.

Also, even fewer and farther between: cigars.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chain-smoker for 50 years -- except when having a cigar.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, you would get along famously with my mom.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only cigars.
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel I must post this Onion commentary in its entirety.

quote:
Some guys brag that they only smoke weed. Powerful people often only smoke Cuban cigars. A lot of cigarette smokers are proud of their brand loyalty. Some smoke only herbal cigarettes. Others smoke only Indian beedies. Why's everyone so picky? I don't understand. Me? I'll smoke anything!

I have a test to decide whether I'm willing to smoke something. It goes like this: Will this potential thing to be smoked put me in a pipe and smoke me? No? Then I'm smoking it! Because you have to smoke them before they smoke you! That's what I've learned! That's what I practice!

As a kid, I smoked twigs. Why not? The authorities today are all up in arms about kids smoking trees, because they think wood is a "gateway smoke" that will lead children to smoking other, more serious things. Damn right it's a gateway! That's why it should be encouraged! It's a gateway to clarity! A gateway to self-reliance! A gateway to smokin'!

Sure, I bought candy cigarettes as a kid. And you know what? I smoked those things! I bought gum cigarettes. And I smoked those! They didn't influence me to smoke regular cigarettes: Candy items are perfectly smokable on their own! Everything is!

The smart people I know all love "the classics." "The Iliad is such a great story," they say. "Did you ever read Dickens?" No, but I smoked him!

I used to feel like I wasn't familiar enough with the great works of civilization. So I got all the great books they would let me check out of the local library, tore them up, put the pieces into brown paper grocery bags, and rolled those bags into seven monster cigars. And I smoked them! They had a sweet and ambitious flavor! I smoked the history of the world in a week! That was great!

"Did you see Blade Runner?" they ask me. Jesus, of course not! You don't appreciate something by watching it. You appreciate something by smoking it! I rent videotapes, crunch them up, put them in a big pipe, and smoke myself sensible! I've smoked more movies than most people have ever seen! That shocks people. "You shouldn't smoke videotapes," they say. "Plastic fumes are poisonous and will do weird things to you." Weird things? Not unless the satisfaction of having enjoyed a great smoke is a "weird thing."

People ask me if I want to go to the beach. Hey, been there, smoked that. I love smoking sand and dried-up fish. Those are some of the best smokes I've ever had!

I'm not so odd. I love it when my mother cooks up her special manicotti meal. Because I smoke it. And I like falling in love, because I like having a sweetheart who buys me flowers and jewelry. Because that's the kind of stuff I can smoke! I'm a smoker. I hate people who say they're smokers when they only smoke cigarettes. That's lying. They should say, "I'm a smoker in the weakest, most narrow definition of the word." Or, "I smoke only those things that are socially acceptable to smoke." That would make me much happier.

I keep having this dream where I'm at an auction of Nazi memorabilia. Hitler's mustache is on the block, and I bid $18 million and get it, beating out all these museum people and fascists. Then I go home, put some Bach on low, and roll those little mustache hairs into a tight little E-Z Wider joint.

Then, know what I do? I smoke the **** out of it.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just wrong. Just wrong.

I love it.

I also noticed that the word "smoke" starts sounding really foreign after you hear it enough times. Listen: smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke.

Smoke. Ha ha. Smoke smoke smoke.

Um, anyway, never smoked, never intend to, think it stinks and it's a huge turn-off.

I wonder if the tendency toward non-smoking on this board is another manifestation of its ISTJ-ness?

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 832

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ENTP - Never smoked.
Posts: 1434 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flydye45
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoked a few cigars, one pipe, and maybe three cigarettes. Last time was 5 years ago.

Non-smoker

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ pickled shuttlecock
quote:
Smoke. Ha ha. Smoke smoke smoke.

Um, anyway, never smoked, never intend to, think it stinks and it's a huge turn-off.

I dunno... I'm kinda gettin' the impression that you might be smoking something right now. [Wink]
Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than respond to this thread, I'm going to print it out and smoke it.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Drake, we'll put you down as a "yes," then.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

I actually quit years ago.
The Drake
Member # 2128

Except for this thread, of course. Several bystanders inhaled a second-hand discussion.
Dave at Work
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Dave at Work   Email Dave at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't smoke.

The image of the Ornery forum smoking a pole made of straw does bring a chuckle though. [Smile]

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:
Several bystanders inhaled a second-hand discussion.
My God, man, haven't you heard about the dangers of second-hand discussions!!!! [Eek!]
TommySama
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't smoke. Tried it in 7th grade, almost vomitted.
Posts: 6396 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larfoutloud
Member # 2881

- posted      Profile for Larfoutloud   Email Larfoutloud       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smoke, but it's a horrible habit that I can't physically break. I can do it mentally, but the physical addiction is horrible.
Posts: 119 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nein
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried most cigarettes, could not fathom what people find in them. Smoked a pipe for a while (for the pose...I was 17 [Big Grin] but dropped it due to the hassle factor). Smoke a lot of cannabis. Sometimes, when it's hash or extremely good (i.e. expensive) weed, I'll mix it with tobacco.

Ed. to add: tobacco tends to make me nauseous. When I mix it with my cannabis, I only use light tobacco.

[ June 28, 2006, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: RickyB ]

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never smoked
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started in my early teens, had a good habit worked up by 17. Got up to nearly three packs a day at peak.

If I could smoke 2-3 cigs a day, I would, but I can't.

Quit a bit over a year ago. Prime motivator?

I'm not giving these SOBs one more dime in federal taxes than I absolutely have to in order to survive.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One puff at age 6, coughing fit, 'nuff said. Whether it's bad for you or not, it sure is utterly disgusting.
Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, never. Actually gets a bit difficult for me to breathe around smokers, but haven't really pushed how long I can stand it. Though with the fires around here in southern Utah, I got a headache quick when on my way to work or home... just don't deal well with smoke generally, even from campfires which I enjoy otherwise.
Posts: 523 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked.
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Very allergic to the stuff, actually.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't smoke. Between 21 and 30 I smoked a few times while drinking.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been very good at detecting the smell of smoke. Used to give me a headache to be around someone who smokes, although that faded as my tendency to get migraines faded (had many of them as a little kid).

Like in middle school, at lunch time, I asked everyone around me if they smelled smoke. They all said no. I said, man, that's the strangest thing. I can definitely smell smoke. Were they sure? Yes.

After the next class was over, everyone finds out there's a grass/brush fire approaching the school from the tall hills at the opposite end of the school. We were evacuated from the school and everything. I of course said an audible told-you-so to my class as we were ordered to the buses.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty cool super power. [Smile] Too bad it's fading. Gotta watch out for that kryptonite. [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page