Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Ornery Smoking Strawpoll (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ornery Smoking Strawpoll
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, I am only extremely sensitive to the smell of urine. I'm sure THAT doesn't qualify as a super power. Doggone it.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It hasn't faded much, but my tendency to get migraines from smelling it has faded entirely. I've overcome the negative effects of the kryptonite, one might say... although riding in a car owned by a smoker is still annoying.

The strange thing is how it's entirely relegated to various kinds of smoke. My sense of smell is nowhere near as specially attuned to anything else that I know of, which unfortunately makes me completely useless at detecting what makes one food tasty and another terrible.
And the thing is, I love eating. I don't like smoke.

Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, what with 2nd-hand smoke, it is something of a wonder that those of us descended from Injuns and Germanic tribes ever became ancestors at all. The damper wasn't invented until the late 18th century -- by which time we had spent approximately 20,000 (winters) X the population that survived in smokey tents, wigwams, huts, cabins, and mostly with a fire going in the middle of the floor.

For another century we lived in cities burning soft coal (it was ghastly, as I remember it when 2.5 million neighbors were burning tons of the stuff all winter). For another half century we burnt low-grade fuels to run everything as the industrial revolution all-but exploded. Intermittently, our European cousins dropped millions of tons bombs -- blowing smoke over everybody. And for 350 years, we increased smoking to include everybody in and out of the schoolyard.

But what happened? 10,000,000 dead in WWI, 50,000,000 dead in WWII, another 40,000,000 dead of war-related causes -- and the population boomed and the lifespan lengthened by half.

This is, as cperry should warn us, a tempest in a peepot. Banning tobacco, alcohol, and pot is as old lady as corsets -- and will effect very much the same thing: a constipated society that could really benefit from a barium enema so high that it makes them urp up their true feelings.

And I ask you -- did Victorian ladies require men to withdraw to a smoking room after dinner because they thought cigarette smoke would cause cancer? The anti-smoking campaign was never about saving lives; it was about lavender water, silk hankies, and purveying propriety amongst the ladies -- who, in my day, would think of smoking in public but did so only in private.

It was (and so far as I can see still is) a class issue, not a health issue -- or why did one of the veterans here die recently of "smoking related causes" (cirrhosis and cancer of the liver!) and not from drinking a quart of Old Thompson every day since the Korean War? I'm afraid I am extremely skeptical of all the antismoking claims for the simple reason that 1st-hand smokers are subject to at least as much 2nd-hand smoke as nonsmokers are, because I can find no anectodal evidence to back up the claim that it is tobacco smoke and not internal combustion engine exhaust or volcanic emissions that killing us all off in the prime of life at 75.

Cripes, it is more a problem that we are living too long than it is that we're dying too young. If you don't want to die young, walk don't drive, drink alcohol not frappes, smoke real tobacco not this shredded cardboard in allowable brands, take all-natural drugs not prescriptions that will be recalled, and eat pot brownies instead of Porterhouse steaks. At least that way, you won't [/I]know[I] how old you are, won't care, and will be having a good time in life.

Honestly, I think worrying about death is what kills most people -- that and church-going [Big Grin] .

Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used smokeless (chew) for 14 years, quit eleven weeks ago, I'm glad, but quiting sucked. Correction, quiting continues to suck. Sent my anxiety through the roof, made me depressed, can't concentrate, etc. etc. Of course, 14 years is exactly half my life, and the age at which I started, so the old brain had gotten pretty used to the stuff. But believe me when I say that nicotine is the most potent drug there is. And I've tried several.

Adam

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewmie
Member # 1179

- posted      Profile for drewmie   Email drewmie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked anything, never took a sip of alcohol. I've never even had coffee or tea, let alone hard drugs. I grew up with it all around me in Illinois. Most of my friends drank, and I was usually the party keymaster or designated driver.

Never felt any peer pressure, and certainly hated all the fake depictions of "Try this if you want to be cool!" Has that garbage ever really happened? Or am I correct in suspecting that the geeks who write those pathetic peer pressure depictions have never been to a REAL party where an AD&D game wasn't involved?

But I never quite understood why people smoke or drink in the first place, when ALL of them used to tell me they hated it on the first try. As Carlos Mencia would say: "Du-du-duuuhh!" Then again, I eat for the taste of things, so ingesting something for the "feeling" is a foreign concept.

[ June 28, 2006, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: drewmie ]

Posts: 3702 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens. It is much more subtle than the ridiculous PSAs.

Lots of people hate church services on the first try also. [Smile]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ngthagg
Member # 2737

- posted      Profile for ngthagg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you posted on the wrong thread, RD.

ngthagg

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alas, I am only extremely sensitive to the smell of urine. I'm sure THAT doesn't qualify as a super power. Doggone it.
I don't know... depends on how sensitive. Can you differentiate between different people's urine? We could drop you in Pakistan with a few special forces and you could sniff the air and tell them Bin Laden recently peed 40 miles west of there. We'd have him nabbed in no time!
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on... OBL would obviously know through his extensive network of contacts that cperry had landed and would simply hold it (and hold it and hold it) Insert image of OBL hopping from foot to foot while holding the crotch area of his dirty robes...
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I can smell his pee breath 40 miles west of here. He must be holding it in. Let's go team!" [Wink]
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been smoking around a pack a day,for roughly 19 years now. i also collect antique pipes, which i smoke tobacco out of, maybe, once a week. i've also smoked weed daily for about 11 years.

my lungs are stronger now than they were when i started smoking, i remember, i was having asthma attacks then. i dont anymore.

i quit smoking cigarettes once for 3 months. in the first month i gained 30 pounds, that i havent been able to lose since. thats put more strain on my heart than smoking ever has.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow.

He doesn't have kidney problems, he's just defeating our secret weapon!!

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse
Member # 1860

- posted      Profile for Jesse   Email Jesse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adam- They make a mint herbal chew that is actually pretty tasty, a friend of mine used that as a crutch. Another took to sucking on espresso beans all day...and that sure doesn't do wonders for tooth color.

When you have a nic fit, try doing push-up or going for a jog, any kind of physical exercise you can do. It did wonders for me. Of course, so did hanging a duffle bag full of clothes off the back of my truck and beating the hell out of it. Whatever works for you [Smile]

Smoking and chewing aren't just addictions, they're also habits. It's like trying to quit chewing your fingernails...if your finger nails were made of black-tar heroin.

Tony, I made seven serious attempts to quit. During one of those attempts, I went from 165 lbs to 220. During the most recent and what I hope is the last, I went from 185 to 210, now back down to 195.

Your lungs are probably "stronger" in spite of smoking, not because of it. A lot of people see a reduction in asthma as they get older.

I had bronchitis every spring until I started, but it hasn't come back since I quit.

If you're not ready to quit, or just flat out don't want to, that's cool. Just...and I don't mean to be rude...don't make excuses.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I never appreciated the possibilities of this amazing talent. Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm phoning the CIA right now....
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrsawPact
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for WarrsawPact   Email WarrsawPact   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm doing my part!"
Posts: 7500 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meisthadra
Member # 2824

- posted      Profile for Meisthadra   Email Meisthadra       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked, never wanted to. However, I do occasionally dream that I am smoking, and in my dream I love it.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have I smoked? Yes.

During college 2 packs a day, namely Sorbraine Black Russians, and Silk Cuts. When feeling particularly giddy, I'd smoke Rothmans.

During my 20's/early 30's Camel Light 100's, and Sorbraine Black Russians, until the Clinton Administration made it illegal to directly import English Cigarettes into the USA. At one point, eaisily five packs a day.

Now in my late 30's, I don't smoke. Occassionally I'll snag a single cig. Last year I think I totaled out at 3 packs, not including the three my wife destroyed.

Posts: 6333 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

I never knew there were such exotic cigarettes. I've smoked clove cigarettes -- that's it for exotic.
cperry
Member # 1938

5 packs a day? Did you have time for anything else?
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, cperry. Exotic is Hitler's moustache.
Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

eeeeewwwww!
cperry
Member # 1938

Who in the world would want to smoke Hitler's moustache???
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, you don't?
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whirlwind
Member # 1858

- posted      Profile for whirlwind   Email whirlwind       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never did, never will. Make up for it by eating too much.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've smoked for most of the past 30 years. I've quit for a year and once 6 years at a time, but I just enjoy it too much.

I've got a few friends who'll only have the occasional smoke while out drinking. I wish I could do that.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelcimer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never smoked.

Though I do love the smell of woodsmoke in the fall and winter.

And in college, there would be breaks where most of the class went outside to smoke. I wound up going outside on general principle that everyone else was out there. The first year after college I was struck several times by a slight craving for second hand smoke.

And on several occasions I have been so stressed out that I looked to the person next to me and said "I have never smoked, so why the hell do i feel the need for a cigarette?"

For fun I'd carry a kazoo around in my pocket. When other people would light up I'd take out my kazoo and puff. They'd look at me and I'd say "What? I can put it down anytime I want. I just choose not to." Man, I pissed some people off with that. Good times.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Good point Kelcimer.

While I've stated I don't smoke, I've always thought when I get old I will start smoking a pipe (love the smell, does it taste that good or is it like coffee?) and drinking Brandy.

Has anyone tallied this poll? It seems that OA is pretty Non-smoking?

KE

Jesse
Member # 1860

Only a little over 20% of Americans smoke, and I think a lot of those are older than our median age.

Edited to add

Or younger. Personal observation, take it for what it's worth, a lot of smokers quit in their late twenties or early thirties.

[ July 01, 2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Jesse ]

KnightEnder
unregistered

Really? That is encouraging. Another reason why it is feasable to ban smoking in public places if it is proven that SHS poses a significant risk.

KE

scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never habitually smoked, but when I'm drinking in a bar (which is rarer than going to the DMV) then I usually smoke too. A few cigs over a couple of hours. I think it's because I'm so self-conscious and not good at conversation...gives me something to do so I'm not just sitting there staring at nothing.

I don't like the way I smell afterward and I can't sleep after I smoke, so I don't think I'll ever get hooked unless I get rich and don't have a job and spend a lot more time in bars.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

I think that's kind of why I started too, scifibum. That whole "what do I do with my hands?" or "how do I stop from looking like a total geek when my friend went to the bathroom?" problem -- so I smoked a cigarette. Not the healthiest way to solve the problem, for sure, and I'm pretty darn positive it only made me look geekier, but like you I was fortunate and never got addicted.
Lisa M.
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for Lisa M.   Email Lisa M.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried taking one puff of a cigarette when I was like fifteen.

I hacked up a lung for like two hours after that.

Never again.

Posts: 845 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half a pack a day. Around one pack a night if I go to the bar. Used to occasionally toke as well, but I gave that up years ago because I just can't handle my THC.
Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

I smoked a puff on a cigar when I was 12 when my grandfather offered.
tonylovern
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for tonylovern   Email tonylovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jesse, sorry i'm a lil slow getting back to this. i think my internet access is going away completely this week, at least for a little while.

i wasn't trying to make excuses, i have no desire to quit. much like the difference between mountain dew, and water, i prefer my air flavored. when i did quit smoking cigarettes for a while, i still smoked my pipes and weed. i think the only reason i did quit, was that whenever i kissed my girlfriend at the time, she would say "ugh smoke".

the weed smell didnt bother her, niether did the vanilla nougat flavor i'm fond of for my pipes, just cigarettes.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page