Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Steak, what's the best?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steak, what's the best?
potemkyn
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delmonico or the Ribeye. Best piece of meat around. Marbilized fat gives it extra good flavoring. I've had some sumptuous steaks that are Ribeyes.

Of course it's only good if it's charcoal grilled and cooked to the point where it won't moo.

Anyone else have a favorite steak? Tis the season, I suppose.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ate a ribeye last night.

...yum.

And I have to say, for those of you who have never branched out from cornfed cattle, you should at some point in your life find a way to eat a buffalo steak, grassfed, grilled nicely rare with just a hint of ginger.

Plus, it's patriotic; what could be more American than American Bison?

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buffalo!

Gotta be careful cooking it, though. The near absence of fat makes it dry out easily.

Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 2699

- posted      Profile for Eric   Email Eric       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, Ops, you beat me to it!
Posts: 448 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray!
Buffalo!

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

The sirloin strip is better then the rib eye, in my opinion... especially if you get the second and third steaks. (1-4 inches from the meeting of the sirloin with the rib). These two steaks have awesome flavor, and better tenderness then the ribeye.

Short cut of the rump. The first 2 1/2 inches off of the Top Butt, or Sirloin Shell. These steaks have the best flavor on the cow, and are almost as tender as a good rib eye.

If you can, get your meat dry aged. This process tenderizes the meat, as well as giving it an extra "buttery" flavor.

For a slow cooked treat, get a rack of beef back ribs... you know those baby back ribs you're so fond of? This is the beef version. You can often find them for a dollar per pound. A full rack is around 3 lbs, and has about 1.5 lbs of meat on it. If you barbeque these properly, they are out of this world.

The american pallet is not used to grass-fed cattle. Its more "gamey" then corn-fed. My recommendation is to find wolfe's neck beef as a transition... they raise their cattle on a mixture of corn and potato peels, which adds some of the "yellow" fat you get from grass, but without altering the flavor beyond what you'll be comfortable with.

vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sirloin or Chateaubriand, blue (extremely rare for those who don't know). Soft as butter and absolutely gorgeous, particularly when it has been well matured.

I like my steaks still chewing the cud [Smile]

[ July 04, 2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: vulture ]

Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also partial to the sirloin, and also the entrecote. These are the two cuts I go with at my favorite butcher's. He's the best in the Tel Aviv Metro area (that I know of, at least) and his steaks have never really failed me. I did a cookout for one of the World Cup games a cuple of weeks ago, and I got some steaks, and every bite had those primordial centers in my brain sighing with that relief of a need being filled just the right way. [Smile]

I think the beef we get here is grass fed - it comes from Argentina, mostly.

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've got to go with the tenderloin here.

Not original, but there's a reason for that. [Smile]

If you can find a butcher that will sell prime, it's worth it on special occasions. But in many markets there's just none available except to restaurants.

For a cheap steak, a skirt steak done right - on a really hot cast iron pan (probably on a grill unless your stove is not consumer grade) with a good fajita marinade can't be beat, even if you don't use it for fajitas.

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

Stacy says filet. And since she orders my food I have to agree. And I like mine extremely rare. According to a friend who manages Papa's Steak House that is the only way to truly taste the steak.

I've eaten at Morton's in DC, Ruth Chris's all over, and Papa's and Papa's was the best. However, they all were great. Steak is kinda like sex like that. [Smile]

KE

[ July 04, 2006, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: KnightEnder ]

cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Delmonico the same as a ribeye?
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Delmonico and the ribeye are teh same.

I'm not a fan of tenderloin (filet). Very little beef flavor.

Dagonee is correct about skirt steak, although the price on that is going up

KnightEnder
unregistered

Filet is the most expensive and cut on any menu and the tenderest. Of course taste vary. I've always had expensive taste. However, combined with my income that's a bad combination. [Frown]

KE

Everard
unregistered

Yeah, filet is the most expensive, and the tenderest... but thats about it. If you want BEEF, which is what grilling is about, then you don't want tenderloin...A sirloin or rib eye is far more beefy, and still very tender if you prepare it right.

The only time I'm a fan of tenderloin is if I'm cooking indoors, and trying to impress a woman.

potemkyn
unregistered

The last time I purchased a Delmonico, there were other steaks to its left which were labeled as Ribeyes. They were cheaper, but not as thick. Could just be the store.

Ev,

Is the sirloin a pretty lean cut of meat?

flydye45
unregistered

I thought the Delmonico was a specific cut from the ribeye.
flydye45
unregistered

Wiki.

quote:
Delmonico steak alternately steak Delmonico refers to both a cut of beef and a presentation of steak dinner prepared from it, made world famous by Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City during the mid 1800's.

The original Delmonico steak, is considered to be a boneless top sirloin that is almost 2 inches thick with delicate marbling and cooked rare to well done, depending on the request of the diner. However, over the years it has generally been considered to be a club steak from the short loin of beef prepared as a boneless, very rare steak considered to be one of the finest, most tender and tasty cuts available in New York.

Although Delmonico's steak may now refer to different cuts, prepared different ways, in different parts of the country, it is known to represent a wider variety of beef cuts that may be broiled, fried, or grilled. Some of the steak cuts now commonly referred to as Delmonico steak include:

a bone-in top loin steak (a triangular-shaped, short loin cut, some suggesting the first cut of the top loin next to the rib end) also known as a club steak, country club steak, shell steak, and strip loin steak;
a boneless or bone-in rib-eye steak (some insist it is a rib cut closest to the front end of the ribs while others say any rib-eye);
a boneless top loin steak (also known as a New York strip steak, Kansas City steak, strip loin, ambassador, boneless club, hotel or veiny steak); or
a boneless top sirloin.
In addition to the steak, the original meal also included a potato dish, known as Delmonico's potatoes, that was prepared by making a baked mashed potatoes-like dish topped with grated cheese and buttered breadcrumbs. The dish was then baked until golden brown and served steaming.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmonico_steak"

Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herefordshire - lovely sweet grassy taste.

Aberdeen - strong salty fatty taste, gorgeous.

Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the flavor of ribeye to filet, even though the filet is supposed to be a better piece of meat.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

BTW, thanks, Flydye,for the info.
Everard
unregistered

"Ev,

Is the sirloin a pretty lean cut of meat?"

The sirloin strip steak is, internally, actually leaner then the tenderloin. Sirloin, tenderloin, and top and bottom round, are all lean cuts of meat. Shoulder, chuck, ribeye, are all fattier cuts of meat.

Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to get all of the beef I eat from my father. All of his cows spend their entire lives roaming around 160 acres of grassland eating nothing but Alfalfa and June Clover. They used to get corn silage but he stopped feeding that several years ago.

As far as which cut is the best, I prefer the ribeye to any other.

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Dey
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for Richard Dey   Email Richard Dey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Porterhouse and Bernais.
Posts: 7866 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koner
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Koner   Email Koner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A porterhouse is both the T-bone and ribeye combined isn't it?

I had the mose amazing porterhouse with a bernais suace and potatoes augratin in Paris a few years back. It was in a very nice place on the river near Notre Dame. I had the yummiest bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon with it. Man its making my mouth water just thinking about it.

Posts: 754 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everard
unregistered

Porterhouse is the strip steak and the tenderloin.
T-Bone is the strip steak.

A t-bone will have SOME filet on it, but usually very little, while a porterhouse has a full sized filet on it.

Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best beef I ever had was on a plate with the best pork I ever had. It was Kobe beef, aged and prepared with a wild mushroom sauce. The pork was made with forbidden rice. In both cases, the meat flavor was very strong even with the other flavors.

I'd had kobe beef many times before that, and never noticed anything particularly different. I get the impression that there's kobe beef and then Kobe beef.

It was at some ridiculously fancy restaurant we went to for our anniversary.

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm dying to try Kobe beef :-) See what the damn fuss is about...
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

What is forbidden rice?
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's forbidden knowledge, cperry. Sorry.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

LOL
Dagonee
Member # 2212

quote:
Forbidden rice is a short-grained, heirloom rice that is black when raw and dark purple when cooked. The name comes from the legend that it was reserved for emperors in ancient China because of its nutritiousness and rarity. This grain is high in fiber and has a deep, nutty taste.

Forbidden rice has recently appeared on the shelves of health food stores in the Western United States along with other heirloom rices such as Bhutanese Red Rice and Wild rice, particularly in California. It is popular with vegetarians and vegans because it has a favorable nutrition profile. Desire for non-genetically modified foods has also contributed to demand for this rice.

The deep color of black forbidden rice suggests the presence of phytonutrients. It has a relatively high mineral content (including iron) and, like most rice, supplies several important amino acids.

Another theory of why forbidden rice was ever forbidden was that when the Greeks took over the Middle East, they had it banned due to the belief that it was being used by their enemies to aid them in battle.

When cooked, "forbidden rice" has the smell of freshly popped popcorn and turns the water that it is boiling in a brilliant purple color.

From Wikipedia.
javelin
Member # 1284

- posted      Profile for javelin   Email javelin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now Dagonee must be eliminated, along with anyone who read his post. Prepare to meet Guido.
Posts: 8614 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a really nice restarount in western Tokyo that was an old Yokohama half-timber dockside building from the meiji or maybe even tokugawa period that was moved to a mountaintop where it now sits. There were a bunch (two) of sumo (two is a bunch when it comes to sumo) there, and it was really expensive. I was along translating. They did a teppanyaki thing with a filet of kobe beef wrapped in bacon and it was exquisite.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
And now Dagonee must be eliminated, along with anyone who read his post. Prepare to meet Guido.

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever tried my cooking.

Cooking is a manly art. There's fire. There's knives. There's cool gadgets. There's dead animals.

javelin
Member # 1284

I'm sure I'd enjoy your good cooking. Unfortunately, since you've revealed the secret of forbidden rice, I shall never have the opportunity. It's a tragedy, really.
Everard
unregistered

"Cooking is a manly art. There's fire. There's knives. There's cool gadgets. There's dead animals."

[Big Grin]

This is my new motto.

maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Cooking is a manly art. There's fire. There's knives. There's cool gadgets. There's dead animals."

In the immortal words of count ruger "well spoken sir"

Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

quote:
Originally posted by javelin:
I'm sure I'd enjoy your good cooking. Unfortunately, since you've revealed the secret of forbidden rice, I shall never have the opportunity. It's a tragedy, really.

You forget. I have knives. And fire.

They'll never lay a finger on me. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page