Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Speculative Fiction Poll (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speculative Fiction Poll
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Brin's Earth was great.
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Patrick Kelly, Keith Roberts, Adam Roberts, William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Paul J Macauley, Sheri S Tepper, Ursula K LeGuin, Greg Ryman, Neil Gaiman, Paul Cornell, Tony Ballantyne.
Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm shocked that nobody has yet mentioned Stephen Baxter. One of the top hard science writers.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KE - You'd like Gaiman. Read American Gods. Go get it now.
Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cperry
Member # 1938

- posted      Profile for cperry   Email cperry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adam - Thanks for the Mieville rec. Will jump on it!

It's great to get all these author recs. I stand there in the bookstore wondering which ones are good and which ones are crap.

Posts: 2782 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Alzabo
Member # 1197

- posted      Profile for A. Alzabo   Email A. Alzabo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like Iain Banks (especially his "Culture" novels).

Anything by Neil Gaiman.

Harlan Ellison's stuff is classic.

China Mieville.

Gene Wolfe.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, 45 posts, someone dredge out the favorite author threads. They're much more extensive [Smile]
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Standback
Member # 666

- posted      Profile for Standback   Email Standback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ricky, I didn't know you translated SF. I'm actually good friends with Vered T., who translated Ansani Boys.

I'm less fond of Gaiman's books, myself - they tend to lack complexity. Sandman, on the other hand, was brilliant, and his short stories are great too.

OSC, George R.R. Martin, and Robin Hobb are real favorites of mine, for wonderful handling and intertwining of character and plot.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay CP. I just finished Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz last night. Took a long time to get going but was good from the middle on.

Ricky, did I start that other thread, too? [Embarrassed]

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 1217

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like non-book science fiction of different sorts. (thought that wasn't in the scope of the threat... why not extend it a bit?)

Granted, much sci-fi on television is, or was, kinda crappy.

Firefly was good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion will probably influence my thoughts on science fiction for decades to come. (Also: Dune, Speaker For the Dead and its sequels, Star Wars, etc.)

Oh, I watched an interesting movie lately. I dunno what to make of it, though I liked it. (also, a term used in the movie, branch universes, is perfect for a movie production studio name. Ha!) It's called The Place Promised In Our Early Days. It was... well, good. I dunno if there was a lot of depth to it, but it was good.

I'll get back to you with some more good ones. I'm going to sleep.

Posts: 2668 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be very good friends with Vered. [Smile]

I translated about 25 titles (two of which don't really count, as they are from the "sink of time" series [Razz] ).

Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fizz
Member # 1706

- posted      Profile for fizz   Email fizz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add some names i particularly love and i've not yet seen named here...

Iain M. Banks (both in his SF writer and in his mainstream one).

Lois McMaster Bujold (normally I do not like military SF, for example I totally dislike Weber, or Pournelle apart for "A Mote in god's Eye" but i make an ecception for Miles)

Terry Pratchett is great (more the last ones than the first ones...) and Douglas Adams too.

First works of William gibson (then it became sterotypical) and Bruce Sterling.

Michael Moorcock does produce some unequal results, but have some good work.

John Brunner.

Some of Harry harrison books are not bad, even if sometimes is a bit repetitive.

Roger Zelazny, Robert Silverberg and Samuel Delany have all produced a lot of nice works.

Frederick Pohl sometimes have been a bit preachy, but have also produced some quite notable work.

Ray Bradbury!!

I've read first of Baker Kage's Mendoza serie and is not bad.

David Gerrold produced some good work here and there.

Ursula K. LeGuin have been already named but I can't avoid naming here again, I love her too much... [Smile]

I've read only one work of Vonda McIntyre, "Dreamsnake", but that made a strong impression on me.

James H. Schmitz is light but a lot of fun, a pity he wrote so few things.

David Brin.

Gregory Benford.

Greg Bear.

Spider Robinson.

Robert Sheckley!!!

Joe Haldeman's "the forever war" and "the forever peace".

Jack Vance.

Stanilsaw Lem is a bit heavy to read but mark a sign.

Nowaday it have been nearly abused to death citing them, but Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave new world are quite notable.

Even Philip K. Dick have been used nearly to death, but still his books and stories are good (better than most of the movies, apart from bladerunner...).

Posts: 153 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page