Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Artificial Blood Experiment: ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artificial Blood Experiment: ...
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you know that if you are in an accident, there is a chance that you will be given experimental blood? If you want to know if your City is participating in the study... read the article.

Interesting...

quote:
Northfield Lab's experimental blood substitute Polyheme is currently in randomized phase III clinical trials recruiting patients without informed consent all over the country. At one point, it was being tested in as many as 27 cities; it is still being tested in 23 hospitals in 20 cities.
Artificial Blood Experiment: Is Your City Participating?
Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is amazing. Not the informed consent issue, but the fact that they're already at the stage where they clearly have some workable artificial blood substitute. I had no idea this existed. How does it work? Is it a 100% viable substitute for natural blood? Any known drawbacks? I'm curious. Wouldn't this revolutionize the whole blood-donor/transfusion system? No more worrying about blood-types, supply, etc... No shortages... Very cool.
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 2212

- posted      Profile for Dagonee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
shortages
Polyheme FAQ

It's made from blood, so there's still the chance of shortages and transmission of HIV and hepatitis. It's main purpose is to allow transfusion in the field - it has a shelf life of a year and no cross-typing problems, so EMTs can use it without typing.

Posts: 2061 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 2910

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How does it work? Is it a 100% viable substitute for natural blood? Any known drawbacks?"

I guess you will find out if you happen to need a blood transfusion in one of the participating cities...

Posts: 865 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FiredrakeRAGE
Member # 1224

- posted      Profile for FiredrakeRAGE   Email FiredrakeRAGE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point of this is not that it is a substitute for actual blood. The point is that it is a very good substitute for blood, and is significantly better than common saline. When a person is bleeding badly or in shock, you generally administer large amounts of saline to keep their blood pressure high before they hit the hospital. The issue is that saline cannot carry oxygen, and so your patient can suffer organ damage or death despite saline, oxygen, and additional medications.

In one case a guy I was working with actually had the patient alive upon reaching the hospital, but bleeding pink due to the amount of saline used.

Blood transfusions on the fly are not an option because blood cannot easily be stored, and the blood type of a person is often difficult to gauge. This could save thousands of lives, domestically and on the battlefield. More to the point, if you're being given polyheme, your condition is one that necessitates its use.

I'll not argue that there is not a consent problem here. There are, however, exceptions to consent rules for a reason.

--Firedrake

Posts: 3538 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1093

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock   Email pickled shuttlecock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This totally rules. I have zero problem with trials like this if it's been proven safe in more controlled but randomized populations. Should a surgeon have to ask for your consent to use his newfangled scalpel that's been proven safe and effective?

By the way, a lot of research into transfusion alternatives is driven by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Posts: 1392 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I just can't help but think of Ultraviolet when I read this. I bet it's the vampires.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie "the abyss" they have that 'oxygenated flourocarbon emulsion' that is based on actual stuff. I have seen pictures of pab rats with all the blood replaced with the fluid and they look a little wierd, the pink nose, eyes, and ears go white and they look a little ghostly. I thought that stuff was already being tested on people. Jehovah's witnesses and such that are opposed to transfusions.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page