Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Radiation Is Good For You?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiation Is Good For You?
Cytania
Member # 2598

- posted      Profile for Cytania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bending a knee here to Koner, a new documentary has shaken my belief in a straight line correspondance between radiation and cancer risk. Yep, low levels of radiation may be good for us!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5173310.stm

The disputed region is exposure below 100 milliseverts and the suggestion is that we can tolerate such levels just fine, that above this threshold is when cancer risks suddenly jump upwards. Possibly high levels of background radiation may even be good for us, lowering risk of cancer.

I know this all seems too good to be true. One great big birthday and christmas present for the nuclear power industry. It certainly means small leaks of radioactive material that dissipate are of lower concern. However concentrated radiation will always be a worry (you know like that glowing bolt that sticks to Homer in the titles of every Simpsons episode) and Chernobyl style meltdowns will always be anathema.

Well Koner, looks like you were onto something with your robust view of radiation, the science is coming in and I'm closer to supporting nuclear power, just need it to make sense without government subsidy now...

Posts: 743 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KonerAtHome
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for KonerAtHome   Email KonerAtHome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've never said that radiation was good for you. We should strive to minimize our exposure. ZERO exposure will never be achievable, the stuff is everywhere you go afterall.

The fact is that ANY radiation exposure increases your risk of developing cancer. If the risk of developing cancer is 1 in 10,000 people and if building a nuclear power plant within 10 miles of your home will only increase that risk to 1 in 9900 people, is that such a significant increase?

Thats basically always been my viewpoint.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This possibly makes sense. As Koner points out, all organisms are exposed to background radiation everywhere; and those levels vary from place to place. So if organisms have evolved measures to give partial protection against such radiation, they may also have evolved to work harder where the radiation is greater. Such measures no doubt have a cost, so it would be wasteful to have them giving high protection where radiation is low.

So the question is whether someone might take advantage of this by exposing organisms to significantly higher radiation on January 1st so as to give them greater protection the rest of the year.

[ July 15, 2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I am exposed to the right level of the right kind of radiation, will I evolve into a superman? Did Kryptonite create Superman?
Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I support nuclear power.

KE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Carl, you are striped with radiation."
-Ignignokt

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Lassek
Member # 1514

- posted      Profile for Adam Lassek   Email Adam Lassek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The fact is that ANY radiation exposure increases your risk of developing cancer
There appears to be some pretty good evidence to the contrary. For instance, in the early nineties Iowa had the highest household levels of radon in the country, and scientists found a negative correlation between radon levels and lung cancer. (Interesting because radon poisoning is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US.)

What can kill you in large quantities can in many cases be benefitial in smaller doses. Low levels of background radiation may not be dangerous until they reach a certain threshold, and in fact may make you healthier.

[ July 17, 2006, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Adam Lassek ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If I am exposed to the right level of the right kind of radiation, will I evolve into a superman? Did Kryptonite create Superman?
Yer more likely to evolve into CancerMan or, even, CorpseBoy.

I'll take my radiation in very moderate doses, thank you very much. [Smile]

Ed.

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDanaII
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for EDanaII   Email EDanaII   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double post!

[ July 18, 2006, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: EDanaII ]

Posts: 3504 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already posted this in a thread about smoking but this thread is an even better place! Here's an article from Discover:

Radiation can be good for you

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks, scifibum, for posting that. Stress of any kind, so long as it does not destroy us, can make us better and stronger. What an interesting concept. Yet, it has long been known that when body builders exercise, they are producing minor cell damage in their muscles. As the muscles heal, they heal stronger than they were before. It looks like the principle is real.
Posts: 2645 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadian
Member # 1809

- posted      Profile for canadian   Email canadian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Last Son of Krypton gets his power from the earth's low gravity and it's yellow sun. That is, depending on your preferred version of Kal-El.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacal_engineer
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for maniacal_engineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hormesis
Posts: 962 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rallan
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Rallan   Email Rallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Superman just got his powers because everyone on his planet was badass like that, and Superman on Earth is the equivalent of a linebacker visiting a preschool.

Now Spiderman, there's a hero who owes a bit to radiation.

Posts: 2570 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 682

Or owes a bite to radiation.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page